Start by marking “The Picture of Dorian Grey” as Want to Read:
The Picture of Dorian Grey

Read Book* *Different edition

The Picture of Dorian Grey

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  1,289,603 ratings  ·  51,205 reviews
When a naïve young Dorian arrives in Victorian London, he is swept into a social whirlwind by the charismatic Lord Wotton, who introduces Dorian to the pleasures of the city. Henry's friend Basil Hallward paints a portrait of Dorian to capture the full power of his youthful beauty. When the portrait is unveiled, Dorian makes a flippant pledge: he would give anything to sta ...more
Published July 10th 2019 (first published June 1890)

To ask other readers questions about The Picture of Dorian Grey, please sign up.
Cesar Ramirez Because it represents to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit. Or if you think the book is immoral, it is because it shows you your ow…moreBecause it represents to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit. Or if you think the book is immoral, it is because it shows you your own shame.(less)
Madawa possibly how we have an image of ourselves which we try to preserve, but its is our actions that defines us. To look one way and act another is ruinou…morepossibly how we have an image of ourselves which we try to preserve, but its is our actions that defines us. To look one way and act another is ruinous. I think there is a meaning of not pretending, not to be a hedonist and not to follow others blindly.(less)

·  1,289,603 ratings  ·  51,205 reviews

Start your review of The Picture of Dorian Grey
Scoobs
Oct 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh Dorian. Oh Dorian.

When I first read this book in the fruitless years of my youth I was excited, overwhelmed and a blank slate (as Dorian is, upon his first encounter with Lord Henry) easily molded, persuaded, influenced, etc.

Certain Wildisms (Wildeisms?) would take my breath away. Would become my mottos to believe in. To follow. To live.

Lines like:

"It is silly of you, for there is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about."

"But beauty, real
Sean Barrs
I finished reading this last night, and afterwards I spent an entire hour staring into space so I could contemplate over the majesty of this work. It left me speechless. This book is exquisite; it is an investigation into the human soul, the power of vanity and the problems of living a life with not a single consequence for your actions. It’s truly powerful stuff.

It begins with a simple realisation, and perhaps an obvious one. But, for Dorian it is completely life changing. He realises that bea
Stephen
PortraitOfDorianGray-review
Arguably literature's greatest study of shallowness, vanity, casual cruelty and hedonistic selfishness, Wilde lays it down here with ABSOLUTE PERFECTION!! This was my first experience in reading Oscar Wilde and the man’s gift for prose and dialogue is magical. This story read somewhat like a dark, corrupted Jane Austen in that the writing was snappy and pleasant on the ear, but the feeling it left you with was one of hopelessness and despair.

The level of cynicism and societal disregard that
Emily May
Aug 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The sitter is merely the accident, the occasion. It is not he who is revealed by the painter; it is rather the painter who, on the coloured canvas, reveals himself. The reason I will not exhibit this picture is that I am afraid that I have shown in it the secret of my own soul."

And so begins this tale of art and sin.

I would highly recommend first watching the movie Wilde, a film which takes the audience on a journey through the life of the tormented writer, from the beginnings of h
Paula
Feb 10, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
chai ♡
Facts that I know for sure:

1. I got this edition because I'm a slave to the aesthetics and that's exactly the kind of motive the ghost of Oscar Wilde would approve of

2. It’s safe to assume that no matter what I’m doing, at any given moment in time, at least 20% of my brain capacity is perpetually dedicated to making sure I am clever enough, gay enough, and dramatic enough to earn the approval of the ghost of Oscar Wilde
Isabella
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Some of u have never damned ur soul to remain forever young and it shows
Hannah Azerang
Feb 05, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
instantly a new all time favorite
Ruby Granger
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
2021 - I re-read this for university and loved it even more the second time round... Lord Henry is a paradigmatic sophist and his epigrams are delightful (partly because it's easy to forget that he is more rhetoric than truth). The connection between youthful appearance and character is also so fascinating, especially since Wilde is writing at the end of the century where physiognomy is an outdated science. What does it mean to be young? And can innocence ever be restored?

2017 - If you haven't a
Barry Pierce
So I read all of Wilde's plays a couple of years ago but for some reason I never read this at the time. This is probably the number one most requested book for me to read. So I read it. Are ya happy now!? ARE YA!?

I really rather enjoyed this. Well, obviously. I mean, did you honestly think I wasn't going to like The Picture of Dorian Gray? It's by Oscar Wilde for fuck's sake. His prose is like spilled honey flowing across a wooden table and waterfalling onto the floor beneath. The viscous liquid
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
”He grew more and more enamoured of his own beauty, more and more interested in the corruption of his own soul.”

I think I must have been about fifteen when I read “The Picture of Dorian Gray” for the very first time and I was totally blown away by it. There was this book, written in such a beautiful way, using such colourful and flowery language and there were those three amazing characters that made me feel and wonder and question their lives and decisions!

You might say that up until I picked
Anne
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I should probably admit that most of what I thought I knew about Dorian Gray came from pop culture references. In my defense, I'm actively trying to branch out and read more than comics and trashy romance novels, but it's slow going and I've got a lot of catching up to do.
Shockingly, I didn't bother to read the blurb, and it turns out this was a bit more complex than I thought it would be.

description

Point is, I had no idea it was about gay dudes!
And I'm always thinking that the guys in classic novels seem
Jim Fonseca
Nov 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: irish-authors
Even if we haven’t read the book everyone knows the plot. A painter paints a portrait of a beautiful young man. The portrait ages while he keeps his beauty. But the portrait also reflects his evil, not just aging, but turning eventually into a portrait of a devil.

There are thousands of reviews so I’ll just copy the next paragraph from the GR book blurb:

Written in his distinctively dazzling manner, Oscar Wilde’s story of a fashionable young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty is
emma
Books like this are why I love classics. They may be old as hell, but in another, much more real way, they never get old.

We as a society will never outgrow the need for a beautifully written book about being hot and evil.

End review.

Bottom line: Valiantly resisting the urge to make this book my entire personality.

----------------------
pre-review

"To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable."

and who says the classics aren't relatable.
Elyse Walters
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first time I've read this classic book....but I've loved Oscar Wilde for as long as I can remember.

There is much to take away from this book. Themes exploring shallowness, selfishness, superficiality, hedonism, morality, and flaws of life and being human.

The dialogue is witty and humorous.
Oscar Wilde had great insights on beauty....
I love this quote:
"But beauty, real beauty, ends where an intellectual expression begins. Intellect is in itself a mode of exaggeration, and destroys t
Henry Avila
May 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"A face without a heart", so said Shakespeare in Hamlet, but it applies to the portrait of Dorian Gray even better.... When the young gentleman Dorian Gray from a wealthy aristocratic family in Victorian England, has his picture completed something is missing, Basil Hallward, the painter senses it and insists that no one sees his greatest work, except a few people ... The witty Lord Henry Wotton, Dorian's soon to be best friend seems amused, a shy artist! All three are fascinated by the painting ...more
Dr. Appu Sasidharan

Oscar Wilde tells us the story of Dorian Gray, who was obsessed with beauty and youth. His narcissistic obsession with beauty made him trade his soul for eternal youth.

I think this is one of those few novels that was the topic of many Psychological studies. The morality aspect of this novel has been a topic of discussion for more than a century now. This is a book that the celebrities of our generation should undeniably read. It shows the plight of unnecessary obsession that will destroy o
 Danielle The Book Huntress
The Picture of Dorian Gray is a hard book to review. After reading such eloquent, beautiful, and rich writing, I am at a loss for how to command my comparatively paltry ability to use words to express how I felt about this book.

Forgive me as I go back to AP English for a few moments. I asked myself what were the themes of this novel. Here is my list:

Identity
Experience
Beauty
The triumph on senses over reason
Accountability

I will attempt to build my review, in part, around the discussion of these t
Petra is getting into the holiday mood
Possessing eternal youth and beauty produces exactly the same effect as sentencing a man to life without the possibility of parole. Both have nothing to lose and morals disappear before the desire for immediate self-gratification in all things. And so it is with Dorian Gray. It's a moral story so eventually his evil catches up with him and he dies, as does the criminal.

Is Oscar Wilde saying that it is man's essential nature, to be so internally psychopathic and selfish that so long as he can ke
Melanie

“Some day, when you are old and wrinkled and ugly, when thought has seared your forehead with its lines, and passion branded your lips with its hideous fires, you will feel it, you will feel it terribly.”

So, I wanted 2018 to be the year that I try to get back into classics! In the past, I’ve found some of them daunting to read, or just too boring to ever feel invested in. But I feel like The Picture of Dorian Gray was the perfect start.

Beautiful art by saku-chann on Tumblr

I originall
Ahmad Sharabiani
(Book 809 from 1001 books) - The Picture of Dorian Gray, Oscar Wilde

The Picture of Dorian Gray is a philosophical novel by Oscar Wilde, first published complete in the July 1890 issue of Lippincott's Monthly Magazine.

The Picture of Dorian Gray begins on a beautiful summer day in Victorian era England, where Lord Henry Wotton, an opinionated man, is observing the sensitive artist Basil Hallward painting the portrait of Dorian Gray, a handsome young man who is Basil's ultimate muse.

While sitting
jessica
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
‘behind every exquisite thing that existed, there was something tragic.’

and boy, this story was an exquisite tragedy. wilde admits that the books which the world calls immoral are books that show the world its own shame. and this is one of the most immoral books i have ever read.

this is a story about the loss of innocence, of revelling in sin and debauchery, and everything in between. but its also an examination of the human soul, its struggle with vanity, and a life lived without any sort o
Meghna Agrawal (On a Review-Writing Break!)
My views about the story 😊

Taking my poetic liberty :P

It is,
a story of gothic fiction,
a story of avarice for eternal beauty and eternal youth,
a story of how outside-influence, good or bad,
can swerve the direction of an innocent-naive-life,
a story of jealousy in love,
a story of debauchery, narcissism and hedonism,
a story of fight between appearance and reality,
a story which edifies- to be accountable for your own choices, keeping all distractions at bay!
a story of a yellow book and aestheti
Paul Bryant
Jan 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
I don't know what I was quite expecting here. It's a psychological horror story with a lot of comic relief, in the form of the endless witty paradoxes. After page 30 you are thinking that if Lord Henry makes just one more crack you're going to knock his monocle off his family crest and grind it underfoot. Oscar often clearly thinks he's being hilarious with his wit with a capital W – and maybe it's me, but Oscar Wilde often sounds like a parody of Oscar Wilde, like in the Monty Python sketch

WHIS
ale ‧ ₊˚୨୧ ₊˚
so, i'm gonna listen the audiobook narrated by ben barnes (i'm already sobbing because i fucking love his accent) aND HOLY SHIT, HIS VOICE, AAAAAAH. it will be my first audiobook, so pray for me ...more
Lisa of Troy
Nov 08, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“I loved you because you were marvelous, because you had genius and intellect, because you realized the dreams of great poets and gave shape and substance to the shadows of art.”
- The Picture of Dorian Gray, Oscar Wilde

Wow! This book can really mess with your head.

Let’s start off by my confession. Most people won’t describe this book in these terms, but it’s my review, and this is my take….

The Picture of Dorian Gray is about a young man named Dorian Gray. He is exquisitely good looking, and his
Trevor
Mar 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature
This is another of those books I’ve been meaning to read for ages and kept putting off. Although I’ve a particularly good reason for putting this one off, as a very good friend of mine, who died a couple of years ago, spoke to me about this book and I was worried that might make it hard to read for quite other reasons.

He said that when he read this book as a young man it made him certain that he was not homosexual. Now, that in itself was enough to make me curious about the book. This is a book
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I finally get around to reading this and find out it’s really good! Figures 🙄😂🤣

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Kai Spellmeier
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, queer
“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.”

I present to you: Oscar Wilde, master of adding gay undertones that are so obviously homoerotic that they cannot be called undertones anymore.

Reading this book was long overdue. It's almost like a gay bible. What homosexual man does not want to stay forever young, with perfect skin, seductive lips and hair right out of a shampoo commercial. Just please do not take the murder part too literally. We might be overdramatic, but
Lisa
We are living the life of Dorian Gray.

We sacrifice our souls to the illusion of beauty and youth. We are using surgery and photoshopping to hide the real portrait of ourselves growing older and darker as our pleasures feel more and more hollow by sheer repetition. The likes of Bret Easton Ellis, who try to depict the "sinful" lives of modern-day Dorians, are less shocking than tedious and boring.

We are constantly looking for instant gratification to soothe our nerves: new foods, new clothes,

• Frankenstein: The 1818 Text
  • Dracula
  • The Stranger
  • Romeo and Juliet
See top shelves…
Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde was an Irish playwright, poet, and author of numerous short stories, and one novel. Known for his biting wit, and a plentitude of aphorisms, he became one of the most successful playwrights of the late Victorian era in London, and one of the greatest celebrities of his day. Several of his plays continue to be widely performed, especially The Importance of Being ...more

Articles featuring this book

We’ve gathered below the 51 most read books of the 2021 Goodreads Reading Challenge, as determined by which titles readers have marked off as...
“The books that the world calls immoral are books that show the world its own shame.” 18727 likes
“You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.” 10045 likes