Start by marking “At the End of Your Tether” as Want to Read:
At the End of Your Tether

At the End of Your Tether

For fans of Brickor Paper Townscomes At the End of Your Tether, the story of aboy who goes searching for his missing ex-girlfriend only to discover that some things aren’t meant to be found.

It's a humid summer night in August 1997 and Ludo Carre is nervous. He hasn't seen or spoken to his ex, Arlo Quinonez since he was fifteen. Now, he's returning home to be reunited with
Published February 11th 2020 by Oni Press (first published November 12th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about At the End of Your Tether, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about At the End of Your Tether

Start your review of At the End of Your Tether
Marnie  (Enchanted Bibliophile)
”It’s Stange… But you know me, I love strange.”

AtEoYT

This one had a very interesting premise. Touching on love, loss, depression, and how different people deal with these different situations made for an absorbing read.
But I found it a bit confusing at times. The time jumps is not very evident in the beginning, leaving on lost and disorientated. In the end everything made sense, but it would have been a better read if I didn’t feel so lost.

I received this copy from Netgalley in exchange for an honest
Natalie ♡
Oct 09, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5
(Got an e-arc of this graphic novel sent by netgalley and now Im telling you my opinion.)

When I was looking through books on netgalley, I came across this one and the cover immediately intrigued me and after I read the little summary, I instantly requested this book and on the next day, when I checked my emails and saw that I got it, I was so exited and I wanted to read it instantly, but I had to wait until Wednesday evening to read it. (I didn’t have time to read before) When I finally had
Jay G
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

*I received a copy of this graphic novel in exchange for my honest review*

2.5/5 Stars

Ludo was 15 when he met his ex-girlfriend, Arlo. Years later, after his army mom moved bases, Ludo is hoping to reunite with Arlo. He calls her and they agree to meet the next day. When Ludo arrives on her doorstep, he discovers that she has been missing for the past week. When he believes local
Eule
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ludo and his parents travel on their vacations back to the army base where they previously lived. As they rest at a motel, he calls his girlfriend he hasn't seen face to face in a long time, to tell her he'll be back tomorrow.
When they arrive, they get told that Arlo has been missing for two weeks.

Basically I liked everything and want to read on. I liked the plot, the characters, the setting, the atmosphere and am intrigued about how it will go on, on all timelines. It's sometimes confusing to
Hristina
I really liked the story this graphic novel has. I think the idea behind it was really interesting. It was a bit twisty and confusing up until the very end, which I have some mixed feelings about. It started off better, but overall it was intriguing enough to me to finish it and untangle it for myself.
The best part of it however, was the art. It was beautiful, and I loved the feeling they went for with the color scheme as well.
I don't think this graphic novel is for everyone. But if you are
Kim
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow, that's poignant. I honestly don't want to say any more than that for fear of ruining someone else's experience of the story. ...Except that the story is a little snarled in its telling. I love that Smith trusted his readers enough to let them untangle the threads, but be prepared, any future readers of this review: this story will be confusing until you have all its pieces.
Tamara
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Got an e-ARC from Netgalley in exchange for a honest review.

The beginning started very good and I was very interested in what would happen next. The ending kinda ruined it for me because it got so confusing, I didn't understand what was happening.

I really liked the artwork!
Eva Grinberga
Oct 30, 2019 rated it liked it
The storyline was pretty confusing but I liked the artwork
Michelle |  A Geek Girl's Guide
I received this book free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

At the End of Your Tether is the story of a boy who goes searching for his missing ex-girlfriend only to discover that some things aren’t meant to be found. It’s Brick meets Paper Towns in this graphic novel, and I am sharing my thoughts on this upcoming release.

At The End of Your Tether follows Ludo as he tries to find his ex-girlfriend, Arlo, after she has gone missing. Things don’t line up though as Ludo has a phone
Zoë
** Free copy provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.**

2.5-3 stars.

At the End of Your Tether is a mystery/sci-fi graphic novel following two teens - Ludo and Arlo - who grow up on an air force base and fall for each other. When Ludo's mother transfers bases, his relationship with Arlo ends. But now, several years later, Ludo and his family are returning to visit – he is nervous but excited to reconnect with Arlo. However, when they arrive, it turns out Arlo has been missing for
Pop Bop
Oct 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Rocky Horror - Do the "Time Warp" Again

Disclaimer #1 - This isn't anything like "Brick", which is a clever, subversive and edgy high school noir. This isn't anything like "Paper Towns", except to the extent that it starts out with a missing girl. Whoever decided to promote this book with those two comparisons wasn't helping anyone.

SPOILER. This isn't a who dunnit or a missing person mystery, except that it starts out with that bit of misdirection. SUPER SPOILER - this is a parallel dimension,
Amy
Feb 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: several-authors
I received a digital copy of this book in exchange for an honest review from NetGalley. Thank you to the authors and artists, Adam Smith, V. V. Glass & Hilary Jenkins, and the publisher, Oni Press, for this opportunity.

Full review available at warmdayswillnevercease.wordpress.com

I have to say, right away, that this wasn’t for me. It didn’t feel like a stand-alone book or even the first book in a series, it almost felt like a book in the middle of a series, and I think that’s one of the
Bec
Jan 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

This was a gorgeous story featuring two army-base kids making a connection in a lifestyle that means constantly moving around. But when Ludo finds out his ex- and best friend, Arlo, has gone missing things his life starts to change.

The artwork in this graphic novel was a style that I love - simplistic but colourful and just aesthetically pleasing when paired with storytelling. Reminding me of illustrations by Fiona Staples in the Saga series, they were just enjoyable and
Donna Tallent
Jan 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-books
The synopsis of this graphic novel is about Ludo returning home to a place he hasn’t been since he was a teenager. He’s excited to see an ex-girlfriend Arlo and calls her the night he gets in to talk about meeting up the next day. When he arrives at her house he finds out Arlo has been missing for over a week.

Sounded like such an interesting premise and I was excited to read a mystery graphic novel but I was not at all prepared for alternate realities and parallel universes twist it takes. It
Eleanor Luhar
I'm only going to write a fairly brief review of this graphic novel, simply because I don't want to give too much of the plot away for any other potential readers. This means I might have to keep it quite vague, too, so I apologise in advance!
An extremely simplified summary of the plot is that Ludo's girlfriend goes missing under rather peculiar circumstances. When a body is found alongside the burned wreckage of her car, most people accept that she is dead. But Ludo doesn't - he's sure
Stacy
Jan 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
I received an ARC of this book through NetGalley in exchange for my unbiased opinion.

Arlo and Ludo met on an army base as teenagers. They dated for a while. Now, a few years later, Ludo is back in town. He calls Arlo the night before he arrives, and she says she can't wait to see him. However, when Ludo actually arrives, he finds out she has been missing for 2 weeks. Unsatisfied with the way the army base and the nearby town are handling the missing person investigation, Ludo tries to find Arlo
Susie Wang
Jan 30, 2020 rated it liked it
I really liked the idea of this story. It's a little bit like one of my favorite shows last year, Dark from Netflix. I just can't say no to any story involving a messed up timeline.

Though the art style is not really my thing. I think it's a bit too romantic, the graphics are too light if you know what I mean. I would've loved it if they were somehow darker with more shading. I just don't think the lighter graphics fit this story well.

Back to the story, It's clear that this is only the beginning
Wayne McCoy
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
'At the End of Your Tether' by Adam Smith with art by V.V. Glass is a graphic novel about a boy looking for something that maybe he's not meant to find.

Ludo Carre is in love with Arlo Quinonez. They've made mixtapes together and formed a real connection. One that got broken up with the moving around of families. Now, it's 1997 and Ludo is moving back to his home. The problem is that Arlo has gone missing. Now Ludo has gone in search of her, but he may find things about Arlo that he wished he
Sarah Z
Dec 27, 2019 rated it liked it
I received an ARC of this from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was an interesting and a bit confusing love story taking place alternate realities/parallel universes. When the love of his life goes missing, Arlo makes it his mission to find out what happen to her. Especially since everyone one, including the police has given up. What he finds out, or begins to find out blows both his mind and his perception of reality.

At times, this graphic novel is hard to
Emily (ThisBisBookshelf)
At the End of Your Tether is, honestly, a very lovely story. It's steeped in time travel that I'm not sure always makes sense, or is as clear as it could be, but ultimately it works for me. The art is stunning, especially during the climax scene when everything really starts coming together.

I'm excited to read more of Adam Smith's work, though, which is always a plus!

*Thanks to NetGalley and Lion Forge/Oni Press for the free e-ARC in exchange for an honest review.*
Erin Larsen
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
ѕtєphєn wєѕt
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-earcs
This Graphic Novel is pure madness.

I liked everything and want to read on. I liked the plot, the characters, the setting, the atmosphere and am intrigued about how it will go on, on all timelines. It's sometimes confusing to recognise where you are in the plot, but some confusion is only to be expected.
Elia
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: time-travel
Well, that was just REALLY confusing. I think I understood parts of it, but because it jumps around so much in time it was hard to keep everything straight in my mind, let alone keep track of... the other element in the story that makes it confusing. I don't know what to think - I guess it will appeal to people who are able to better keep the separate timelines straight.
Aly
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a bit twisty and had a lot going on. It delved a bit into alternate timelines, which is really cool, but I wish it had gone deeper. I have so many questions still as to how it works and the ending was pretty open. The art was well done and I liked the skipping back and forth between past, present, and future. I'm hoping there are more installments to this so I can find out more!
Kera (featherboundbooks)
Art style was beautiful but the story was lacking.
I was confused about the back and forth timelines and the overall outcome of the storyline. Going into the plot could give too much away, but ultimately this is a story about love and loss and learning that while looking for answers, you may find more questions than anything.
Trish Leggat
Feb 19, 2020 rated it liked it
review to follow!
Trang Cannon
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just finished reading this comic! The storyline had some amazing concepts like time travel and different dimensions. However, some parts to the comic book was too confusing, especially near the end. I wish the authors can make it more clear and less twisted. The graphics were wonderful.
Kaili Taghon (Entertainingly Nerdy)
So the premise of this story is really good. There were parts that I really enjoyed. But without going into detail there are parts that are so confusing. I loved the artwork!
Raychel
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars for me on this one. The artwork in this graphic novel is stunning. Arlo and Ludo are beautifully illustrated--also those names, beautiful. The time traveling aspect is done quiet well for a 2D visual medium. The cover is super eye-catching and draws you in. I think this is going to a big YA hit and is going to the the jumping off point for a lot of really cool conversations. One of the only downsides for me is that I got pretty lost towards the end. I ended up reading the last 50 pages ...more
Rebecca Cook
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to netgalley for a free copy of this in exchange for my honest opinion.

I really enjoyed this graphic novel, at times it was confusing and only really became clear at the end so I would recommend not leaving it too long between readings if you can't read it in one sitting.

The artwork is fantastic throughout the story and the plot was really intriguing. A great read.

• Bury the Lede
  • Human
  • Les jours sucrés
  • War and Peas: Funny Comics for Dirty Lovers
  • Snug: A Collection of Comics about Dating Your Best Friend
  • Doctor Mirage (2019)
  • Fights: One Boy's Triumph Over Violence
  • Mexico - La Muerte (Agence Interpol #1)
  • Letters to My Younger Self
  • You Can't Kill Me Twice: (So Please Treat Me Right)
  • Aphrodite Made Me Do It