Start by marking “The Proposal (SWANK, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Proposal (SWANK, #1)

The Proposal

(SWANK #1)

When I envisioned Zara Logan dropping to her knees in front of me, this wasn’t what I had in mind...

I was expecting a lot less glaring and a lot more moaning.

Instead, she's proposing an enticing deal that I can't bear to walk away from.

To land one of the city’s biggest clients, she wants us to put our differences aside and play fake fiancés for the next thirty days.

So,
Published July 16th 2020
Featured Notes & Highlights

To ask other readers questions about The Proposal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Proposal

Start your review of The Proposal (SWANK, #1)
Carol [Goodreads Addict]
RATING 4.5 STARS

The Proposal is book one in the brand new series, SWANK, by Maya Hughes! What a great introduction this was to these new characters. Not only do we get the two main characters, Leo and Zara, we get to know Leo’s other four friends who we will individually meet in future books. I have to admit, I already have my eyes on one of these men in particular, hoping that his book might be sooner rather than later!!!

Leo Wilder lived his entire life with one goal in mind, to play pro footba
Phuong ✯
DNF @ 34%

I'm trying to read this book for 10 days now and I can't get past 34%. The best thing out of this book so far is the heroine's name (Zara). Zara and what was his name again *scrambles to look at the blurb* ehm Leo's story is boring me to tears.

Some of my GR friends were complaining about Maya Hughes writing style and I've never had any problems with it, but with this book, I can finally see it. I can't really explain what it is, but it makes it so hard to get into the story.

This book
Lana ❇✾DG Romance❇✾
3.5 STARS

This was so stinking cute! I was super excited to learn that Maya Hughes has a brand new series coming out. And when I read that blurb? DEAD. I needed this book. I'm a sucker for a good enemies to lovers romance with a splash of fake engagement thrown in.

Zara is the definition of sassy. She is barely scraping by in a job that she hates. Wi
Wendy'sThoughts
Jun 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Maya Hughes Fans, Romance
4 It's Only The Start Stars
* * * * Spoiler Free-It's LIVE!
When Maya Hughes decided to create a series about five men who had intricate ties, she had to figure out how to weave them into the first entry yet not have them intrude. How to tease the readers into wanting to know why each man had their own quirks, why the dynamic between some of the men was the way it was, and still have a full-blown singular romance story for the first chosen guy.

Yup, that's a handful, Ms. Maya did all of it. With T
PP's Bookshelf
Jul 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Maya Hughes made me laugh and swoon and die from the intense and epic feels in The Proposal. This story is witty and funny. This story is sexy and flirty. This story filled my heart with every kind of feel good emotions with right touch of angst.

Zara and Leo started on literally hot and wrong foot. Zara's life is a story of constant struggle as she works hard in an unappreciated job and save every last penny for her brother's education. Leo's dream career as a professional football player came t
Jeraca
Jul 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received this free eARC novel from the author. This is my honest review.

Leo and Zara are amazing characters!

Zara is such a strong person and she's very selfless. She is doing everything in her power to give her brother, Tyler, the best education, and also keeping him away from their drunk parents. Some siblings wouldn't care, but that is Zara's sole mission in life. She even gave up her dream to be stuck in a terrible job that kinda pays the bills. I seriously love her!

Leo has gone through
Patricia Rohrs (words we love by blog)
I love a good romance with a twist and The Proposal definitely had lots of yummy twists filled with hilarious moments and I couldn’t read it fast enough!

Zara and Leo started off on the WAY WRONG FOOT! Hate is an understatement of how they feel for one another but both have a lot on the line and they need to figure out some middle ground and fast or everything they have worked hard for will crumble!

I loved the uniqueness of the story! Leo isn’t your ordinary hero! He is a mess of a man who is t
Melanie (mells_view)
Jul 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Proposal is book one in Maya’s new SWANK series. This book follows Zara and Leo as they are forced to work together and then forced to play fake fiancée. I instantly liked Zara, because we learn that she’s a bit all over the place, but it’s because she is one of the most giving and selfless book humans ever. She has a lot on her plate and I just love that she has someone to carry at least one burden with her, during this story.

Leo took a bit longer to invest in, but Maya always finds a way t
Melanie Moreland
Jul 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A fiesty, selfless heroine.
An arrogant, still finding himself hero.
A pretend engagement.
What could go wrong?
Even better- what could go right?
A slow burn, witty banter, and a great cast of new characters to fall in love with.
An awesome start to a new series that Maya's readers are already begging for.

Kay Daniels (Kay Daniels Romance)
Another Maya Hughes hit and the beginnings of another wonderful series to grab ahold of and look forward to.

Zara Logan is an extremely hard worker, but never seems to get the breaks to get ahead. Working at an event planner company where she is taken advantage of, but she needs her job to not only pay her bills, but the expensive tuition for her brothers school, Zara barely has time to sleep at night before she's back in the office for another day of work.

When she's given an opportunity to plan
Villains Do It Better
Jul 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-to-buy
3.5 Stars

Good start to the series, and I'm in love with the cover! You cannot go wrong with Maya Hughes. Her characters are always so entertaining and she writes the best banter with the best humor. My favorite scenes are actually all the scenes with the hero and his group of friends and I'm SO excited for their books, especially Everest and Jamison. I really enjoyed watching their group dynamic and how each of their quirks played out. So I'm definitely anticipating the day we get more of them a
Keri Loves Books
Jul 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The author whet my appetite with the first book in this new series and I am so excited for more!!! This was a sizzling, steamy, enemies to lovers, office romance with a sexy hero you will be crushing on. Throw in a little fake fiance drama and you have the perfect combination for off the charts sexual tension. And we were given a great introduction to all the characters we’ll be meeting in the future and I am in love!!!

Zara is struggling to put her brother through private school. She is a hard w
Sabrina
Jul 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
NOW LIVE!
Amazon US * Amazon UK

The Proposal is book one of Maya Hughes new series, SWANK. The book follows Leo and Zara, two completely opposite people, as they have to work together to plan an event but both with their own agenda's. Zara needs to bonus money she'd receive to pay for her brother's private school while Leo wants to make sure his Uncle's company stays open and doesn't go bankrupt. Having everything to lose means they'd do anything to win over the company that they'd be planning for
Jacob Proffitt
Aug 06, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: unfinished
I got past the third mark waiting to attach. So far, nothing is forthcoming.

For Zara (love that name!), her background is desperate, but her desperation is making her weak. She puts up with crap treatment and puts in long hours for less than zero appreciation and for a salary that doesn't seem standard. The cause is noble enough (keeping her little brother in a situation that protects him from their abusive parents), but that's not making it better. She's supposedly smart and organized and dedic
Prerana
Dec 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
I thought this book was absolutely adorable, and I am so excited to relive all of the relationships every time a new book comes out. I am definitely eager to read the stories of the other boys. Looking at this book by itself, the characters were really sweet and the premise is always something I love. It was light and cute and a great book for the holiday time when you just want to curl up with something cute. I am not sure if there is much else to say, but I'll be looking forward to the next on ...more
Carmen Rae
I have been both excited and anxious about getting my hands on this book. I adore Maya Hughes Fulton U and Kings of Rittenhouse books but whenever an author moves even a little out of the genre's I love them for I get nervous. Plus I want more of the things I know I love, cause I'm greedy like that.

And to be honest it took me a bit to get into this book. But I think that's more me trying to read with a demanding three year old hovering. Because both characters were awesome. Zara was so self suff
My Own Bookshelves
"All I needed to do was win the job of one of the most historic hotels in the city, win them over to Easton Events while screwing over Simply Stark, and collect my check. Piece of cake, right?"

And so you would think. But Leo nor Zara are going to make this event easy on the other to get through. Until working closely has them getting much more work-intensive on a personal level.

What worked for me:
Besides the chemistry that went to smoldering grass fire to 5 alarm hot, it was the quirky and
Rochelle | Rochelle Reads ♡
Jul 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc

Follow me on: Blog | Instagram
jordane
Jul 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
“Leo was the best distraction I’d ever discovered and I couldn’t wait for another taste. But what happened when we stopped playing pretend?”

The Proposal introduces Maya Hughes’ new series SWANK. To secure a big client, Zara Logan and Leo Wilder have to work together and pretend to be engaged for thirty days.

This book was very adorable and funny and felt like the perfect rom com. I enjoyed it a lot because you instantly get into the story and can’t stop reading it! I also really liked the rel
zaraa
Jul 13, 2020 rated it liked it
— 𝟑.𝟒𝟓/𝟓

If you already didn’t know, i’m a sucker for the found family trope and a group of friends who are 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐝𝐢𝐜 𝐢𝐝𝐢𝐨𝐭𝐬, but together they are so very wholesome.

One of the best things about Maya Hughes’ books is the way she creates her characters and especially the way she creates the relationship between those characters whether it’s platonic or romantic, and for me the platonic friendships are always the most special.

Though i found the plot to be a bit slow for my liking, the characters Za
Nina
Jul 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
”for once, someone has stood up for me. for once, i didn’t have to be the rock. he’d be my rock.”

The Proposal is the first book in Maya Hughes new series, SWANK. This book focuses on Leo and Zara, who need to pretend to be engaged for 30 days while working together in order to secure a very big client. But the thing is that they absolutely hate each other.

Leo Wilder is a formal pro football player who is bitter about his recent retirement due to an injury he had while playing on the field. He i
bia
Jul 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
- 𝑨𝑹𝑪 𝒑𝒓𝒐𝒗𝒊𝒅𝒆𝒅 𝒃𝒚 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒂𝒖𝒕𝒉𝒐𝒓 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒆𝒙𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒆 𝒐𝒇 𝒂𝒏 𝒉𝒐𝒏𝒆𝒔𝒕 𝒓𝒆𝒗𝒊𝒆𝒘.

• 𝑟𝑒𝑣𝑖𝑒𝑤: ★★★★.5
• 𝑡𝑟𝑜𝑝𝑒𝑠: enemies to lovers, office romance and fake fiancé.

Maya Hughes decided to create a new series focused on five men who are friends and each one comes from a different world and carries their own problems. For this friendship to happen we need a good dynamic between these men, and obviously, Maya was able to give us right at the beginning of The Proposal. Not only do we meet the protagonists of the first book, L
mila
Jul 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
She did it again! Maya Hughes is back with a new group of friends with stories to tell and I can't wait for it!

"Where Zara's concerned, nothing is ever easy, but that didn't mean I'd give up without a fight."

After an explosive coffee related encounter, Leo Wilder is the last person Zara Logan wants to see, he already ruined her morning after all. But little does she know the new task that awaits her at work and the partner that brings with it... These two stubborn people need to put their di
Nadine Bookaholic
Great start to the series, such interesting secondary characters I cannot wait to get all of their stories!

THE PROPOSAL has Zara's day starting off on the wrong foot with a hike in her brothers tuition, a run-in with a wall of sheer cockiness, some spilled coffee, and a crushed croissant unfortunately Zara's day doesn't get any better from there.

Leo left his NFL career do to an injury and is now trying to figure out what to do next with his life so when his Uncle needs help he steps in, really w
Clau
Feb 05, 2021 rated it it was ok
Leo was ok, but Zara annoyed me way to much.
Jul 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: proofread
** 4.5 SWANKY Stars **

This book took me by surprise with its swoony hero, broken heroine, and secondary characters that will leave you wanting more from this series! Zara & Leo's story is a true RomCom that will have you laughing one moment, and caught up in the emotions of this hero and heroine in the next. Both characters have their own demons that they try to hide from the other to no avail. Their banter is laugh out loud funny, their push and pull is addictive, and their chemistry is ON FIRE
eliana
Jul 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
I absolutely adore Maya Hughes' romcoms so when she announced a brand new series about a group of friends event planning I was so excited to read it and it didn't disappoint me.⁣

The proposal is an enemies to lovers-fake fiancé office romance, the story is about Zara who works for a company which she hates and Leo a retired football player who decided to help his family and started to work with them.⁣

so these two have to work together and well they end up in a fake engagement I won't say more be
gilda
Jul 13, 2020 rated it really liked it

The proposal is the first book from SWANK, the new contemporary series from Maya Hughes, this is a little different from the books I’ve previously read from her, but in her usual style, this was sweet and cute.

In the proposal, Zara and Leo team up for some event planning jobs, which leads them to stage a fake engagement.
After a, kinda disastrous, meet Za
READ ME ROMANCE
Jul 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Proposal is the first book in Maya Hughes’ new series, SWANK, featuring a set of five male friends since college. It features Zara Logan, an event planner, and Leo Wilder, a retired pro-football player navigating a new career path after he was injured. They had so much in common, yet it took them awhile to realize each other’s positive traits.

Their first meeting was anything but joyous. A total disaster in the making with harsh words said, and a crumbled chocolate croissant left under his s
Lori R.
Jul 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
I. Love. Leo!!!

What a sexy hunk of man. And so caring! He’s thoughtful and kind and protective...without even realizing he’s doing all those awesome swoony-guy things! And THAT is what makes him even more attractive.

I love fake engagement stories so I couldn’t wait to dive into this one. It started as enemies-to-lovers (also a favorite of mine), and the tension and banter and snark between Leo & Zara was highly amusing.

So many laugh out loud moments, and plenty of steamy parts had me flipping t
Some Like It Hot!: The Proposal by Maya Hughes 1 7 Jul 14, 2020 09:55AM

• Dear Bridget, I Want You
  • Through the Lens
  • Truly
  • Beyond His Control (His #2)
  • Taunt Her (Rebels At Sterling Prep #1)
  • Riot House (Crooked Sinners, #1)
  • Outta My League (Providence University #4)
  • NSFW (Play, #2)
  • All Your Perfects
  • A Love Song for Rebels (Rivals, #2)
  • Ruthless Knight (Royal Hearts Academy, #2)
  • Conclave (Devil's Night, #3.5)
  • Hateful Bully (Bad Bullies #2)
  • Trophy (Kennedy Academy, #3)
  • A Beautiful Wedding (Beautiful, #2.5)
  • Watch With Me (Voyeur #4.5)
  • Forever . . .
  • First Semester (Campus Tales #1)
Maya Hughes is an Amazon Top 20 author of swoon worthy, laugh out loud, and emotional new adult and contemporary romances.

Add Maya's next releases to your Goodreads Shelf!

The Art of Falling For You (Falling, #1) by Maya Hughes The Sin of Kissing You (Falling #2) by Maya Hughes The Hate of Loving You (Falling, #3) by Maya Hughes

NEW AUDIO!

The Perfect First (Fulton U, #1) by Maya Hughes The Second We Met (Fulton U, #2) by Maya Hughes The Third Best Thing (Fulton U, #3) by Maya Hughes The Fourth Time Charm (Fulton U, #4) by Maya Hughes

RECENT RELEASES

Shameless King (Kings of Rittenhouse #1) by Maya Hughes Reckless King (Kings of Rittenhouse, #2) by Maya Hughes Ruthless King (Kings of Rittenhouse, #3) by Maya Hughes Fearless King (Kings of Rittenhouse, #4) by Maya Hughes Heartless King (Kings of Rittenhouse, #5) by Maya Hughes

The Proposal (SWANK, #1) by Maya Hughes The Sweetest Thing (SWANK, #2) by Maya Hughes

SWANK (4 books)
  • The Sweetest Thing (SWANK, #2)
  • The Engagement (SWANK, #3)
  • The Wedding Playbook (SWANK, #4)

News & Interviews