Start by marking “The Girl Who Steals Christmas (The Boy Who Steals Houses, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Girl Who Steals Christmas (The Boy Who Steals Houses, #0.5)

The Girl Who Steals Christmas

(The Boy Who Steals Houses #0.5)

A prequel short story about the De Lainey family from The Boy Who Steals Houses. It's set a week before Moxie meets Sam. Available for free on author's blog.

Last year Christmas didn’t happen because their mother had just died...

It's a hot miserable December and the De Lainey family are actively ignoring the festive season, but when Moxie finds her little sister's screwed u
Published December 22nd 2019

To ask other readers questions about The Girl Who Steals Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl Who Steals Christmas

Start your review of The Girl Who Steals Christmas (The Boy Who Steals Houses, #0.5)
Krystal
Dec 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Huh. Cute AND sad, as promised.

It definitely makes sense if you haven't read The Boy Who Steals Houses but it's a warmer fuzzy if you have.

It's a prequel, starring our favourite chaotic family and honestly I love them all so much. They're a diverse bunch with their individual personalities but together they just fit so well.

This story contains the classic Christmas vibe of emphasising the importance of togetherness, and the ending gave me a genuine shudder of pleasure.

It has ups and downs, and e
Melissa (thereaderandthechef)
Aaah, nothing like a Christmas story that will bring you to tears to get into the holiday spirit! ♥

No, but for reals, I ADORED this short story so, so much. The De Laineys are so loveable and them trying to do Christmas... without a special someone... just... UGH. My heart. *cries*

Heartwarming and funny and a bit sad... perfect recipe for how all Christmas short stories should be!
Highly recommend it! ♥
Elizabeth Dragina
3.5 stars ~

Wow... Super cute and heartbreaking.

Content really bothered me though. I wish people actually realized that Christmas isn't Christmas without Christ.

Content ~ The Lord's name is taken in vain. There is a teenage guy who is gay and they talk about his boyfriend. This same guy acts more like a girl then a man. :( #personalproblems *sigh* The baby is referred to as an "it" and doesn't have a name. My guess is the baby is being treated like s/he can be neutral gender.

The details are a
Samantha - Starless Reader
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Look this is just so flipping cute and if you haven't read it yet then I don't know what you're doing with your December. ...more
Emma
Jul 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
This was such a nice addition to the primary story. It's set before the events of The boy who steals houses and it's all about the De Lainey family and how they try to comfort each other during their first Christmas without someone they all truly miss so much.
If you liked the book, you totally have to read this!
Iris
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
did I just reread this for my reading challenge? will not confirm nor deny (day fine yes I did, but also because I love it!!!)

***

this was so cute and fun and I kept laughing aloud and also I may have teared up.... I love The Boy Who Steals Houses so much, and it was great to be back with the characters again!!
Marija
Dec 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
“It’s the crumpled-up letter to Santa stuffed into the bin and splattered in bloody cherry juice that changes Moxie’s mind.”
Nathaniel
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was not surprised by the beautiful chaos in this short story. I follow C G Drews on Instagram and her captions about chaotic characters fully prepared me for this short story on her characters. I haven't been able to read The Boy Who Steals Houses yet but I really want to. Her writing is so fun. It seems to seep across the page and fill up your heart. Loved this, wanted it to be longer. ...more
Azbaqiyah
Writing Style - 3.5 ☄
World Building - 3.5 ☄
Art - 3.5 ☄
Cover - 3.5 ☄

Overall - 3.5 ☄

Oh my gosh! This is really one of the most bittersweet story I've read!
Hannah White
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was so soft and beautiful and adorable and I loved it. It’s on Cait’s blog, so anyone can read it! And in the context of The Boy Who Steals Houses, it’s even better! I love Moxie and her family, and this was just such a warm little story that makes my heart both sing and ache.
Janani(ஜனனி)⁷
SOOOOO BEAUTIFUL.
Lizzie Hutchings
Oct 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
This little novella was so adorable. I love the De Lainey family, and we get to see more of a sneak peek from their perspective. <3 <3 <3

"I want a friend who will steal
absolutely all of my heart."

Haha, I know it's not really foreshadowing when we already all know what's going to happen, but...Heehee.

[O Christmas tree song, because this novella takes place during Christmas]
Sammy Lou, O Sammy Lou
I truly, truly love you.
Sammy Lou, O Sammy Lou
Come steal my house, I'll let you.
Mora
This was super cute and also hilarious and I DID laugh aloud. Heck yeah for Grady for finally stepping up and also I loved all the sibling interactions.
TheFreckledWriter
Dec 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas, 2020-reads
*sobs in tinsel, candy canes, and lovely stories that break your heart but give you hope all at the same time*
Gee
Aug 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
C.G. Drews' prose is always a true delight, and this short story was no exception. "The Girl Who Steals Christmas" is a whimsical companion to "The Boy Who Steals Houses", Drews' sophomore novel, and shows us how Moxie De Lainey decided to bring back Christmas for her family despite it reminding all of them of their gone mum. As is Drews' style, this was a both heartwarmingly funny and achingly sad story, in which we get to see more of the De Laineys as well as to learn more about Moxie. I could ...more
Em
Absolutely beautiful! A wonderful look at the De Laineys trying to celebrate Christmas after losing their mother. It was just the kind of Christmas story I needed this year. CG Drews is a master of blending the dramatic, the humourous and the heartwarming 💖

This short story is available to read here on CG Drews' blog.
Frank-Intergalactic Bookdragon
"If Christmas won't come quietly and free, then looks like she'll have to steal it."

A cute short story that is both funny and heartbreaking while adding some extra background and context to The Boy Who Steals Houses. It's available to read for free on the author's blog @ Paper Fury.
Britt
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the cutest, most adorable disaster ever, and I love it. I've been slacking on reading The Boy Who Steals Houses, but I adore large family stories and now I truly am excited about seeing this family show up in Technicolor. 😍 ...more
Jane (whatjanereads)
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was soooo sad! I‘m crying.
But it was also super funny, I love this big mess of a family. And it was also heartwarming to see them all working together. I would love to read a sequel for this book!
Siobhan Salzmann
I cried. Very hard.
All I want is more of C. G. Drews writing
Devin
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
i adored this so much <3
Lauren
Shelves: 2019-reads, re-read
This was really cute and I loved that it showed the pain that Moxie felt and still feels about her mother passing. The Christmas feel was alive with this one - and the Australian Christmad nods were spectacular. 5 stars!
Jem Jones
This is SUCH a sweet little Christmas tale about family!! You can read it on Cait's blog here, and I strongly recommend you do so if you enjoyed The Boy Who Steals Houses. <3 ...more
Ace
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is wow. It was absolutely incredible. It's set from Moxie's perspective and her quest to get her family into the Christmas spirit. Made me feel lots of things,,, sadness and joy and just. It's really amazing. 5 pure Christmas stars!

Trigger and Content Warnings: previous loss of loved one, depictions of grief

1). The Boy Who Steal's Houses★★★★★
Emily
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
What a super cute Christmasy short story! If you have read 'The Boy Who Steals Houses' (if you haven't, you should read it) and loved the De Laineys, then you should definitely go to C.G. Drew's blog (Paperfury) and give it a read. 'The Girl Who Steals Christmas' is a perfect prequel for 'The Boy Who Steals Houses'. ...more
Dharshani
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a Christmas story, that happens before Sam. Moxie tries to pull back her family after their mother's demise by pushing everybody to celebrate Christmas. And finally, finally she makes her wish (which is the best part, making this prequel worth so much more)
This is just a novella and is available for free at https://paperfury.com/the-boy-who-ste...
Priscilla
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I didn’t expect to have my heart broken within 15 pages but here we are 🙃 I know it feels weird sometimes to give five stars to very short novellas but I just can’t help it, this was so heartbreakingly beautiful and I just want to live with the DeLaineys forever.
Megan ♡
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star, ebooks, read-2019
This was really cute and I can't wait to pick up The Boy Who Steals Houses now!! ...more
Isabel (The Reader & The Chef)
I adore this story so much!!! It's funny and heartfelt and aaaahhh, such a perfect Chirstmas Story! The characters are amazing and I cannot wait to hang around more with them once I start reading The Boy Who Steals Houses!!! ...more
Anna
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm crying. There's nothing else to say. I'M CRYING. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Once Upon a Time in the North
  • Sea of Strangers
  • Bloodwitch (The Witchlands, #3)
  • The Falconer (The Falconer, #1)
  • Words on Bathroom Walls
  • Darius the Great Is Not Okay (Darius The Great, #1)
  • Call Down the Hawk (Dreamer Trilogy, #1)
  • Sightwitch (The Witchlands, #2.5)
  • Giant Days #48
  • Giant Days #54
  • Giant Days #46
  • Giant Days #45
  • Giant Days #49
  • Giant Days, Vol. 11 (Giant Days, #11)
  • Giant Days #47
  • Giant Days #51
  • Giant Days #53
  • Giant Days #50
See top shelves…
C.G. Drews is the author of A THOUSAND PERFECT NOTES and THE BOY WHO STEALS HOUSES. Her work has been translated into four languages and she was nominated for the 2020 CILIP Carnegie Medal. She lives in Australia, never sleeps, and believes in cake for breakfast. When not writing, she’s on twitter and instagram as @paperfury to rave about books.

The Boy Who Steals Houses (1 books)
  • The Boy Who Steals Houses

News & Interviews

One of the great pleasures of historical fiction is the time-travel element. In the hands of a skilled author, works of historical fiction can...