Start by marking “The Girl Who Steals Christmas (The Boy Who Steals Houses, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Girl Who Steals Christmas (The Boy Who Steals Houses, #0.5)

The Girl Who Steals Christmas

(The Boy Who Steals Houses #0.5)

A prequel short story about the De Lainey family from The Boy Who Steals Houses. It's set a week before Moxie meets Sam. Available for free on author's blog.

Last year Christmas didn’t happen because their mother had just died...

It's a hot miserable December and the De Lainey family are actively ignoring the festive season, but when Moxie finds her little sister's screwed
Published December 22nd 2019

To ask other readers questions about The Girl Who Steals Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl Who Steals Christmas

Start your review of The Girl Who Steals Christmas (The Boy Who Steals Houses, #0.5)
Elizabeth Sagan
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It made me emotional and that's not cool 'cause I'm a tough girl with a heart of stone.
Melissa (The Reader & The Chef)
Aaah, nothing like a Christmas story that will bring you to tears to get into the holiday spirit!

No, but for reals, I ADORED this short story so, so much. The De Laineys are so loveable and them trying to do Christmas... without a special someone... just... UGH. My heart. *cries*

Heartwarming and funny and a bit sad... perfect recipe for how all Christmas short stories should be!
Highly recommend it!
Elizabeth Dragina
Jan 17, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 stars ~

Wow... Super cute and heartbreaking.

Content really bothered me though. I wish people actually realized that Christmas isn't Christmas without Christ.

Content ~ The Lord's name is taken in vain. There is a teenage guy who is gay and they talk about his boyfriend. This same guy acts more like a girl then a man. :( #personalproblems *sigh* The baby is referred to as an "it" and doesn't have a name. My guess is the baby is being treated like s/he can be neutral gender.

The details are
Samantha Newnham
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Look this is just so flipping cute and if you haven't read it yet then I don't know what you're doing with your December.
Iris
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
did I just reread this for my reading challenge? will not confirm nor deny (day fine yes I did, but also because I love it!!!)

***

this was so cute and fun and I kept laughing aloud and also I may have teared up.... I love The Boy Who Steals Houses so much, and it was great to be back with the characters again!!
Nathaniel
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was not surprised by the beautiful chaos in this short story. I follow C G Drews on Instagram and her captions about chaotic characters fully prepared me for this short story on her characters. I haven't been able to read The Boy Who Steals Houses yet but I really want to. Her writing is so fun. It seems to seep across the page and fill up your heart. Loved this, wanted it to be longer.
Hannah White
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was so soft and beautiful and adorable and I loved it. It’s on Cait’s blog, so anyone can read it! And in the context of The Boy Who Steals Houses, it’s even better! I love Moxie and her family, and this was just such a warm little story that makes my heart both sing and ache.
Janani(ஜனனி)
SOOOOO BEAUTIFUL.
Frank-Intergalactic Bookdragon
"If Christmas won't come quietly and free, then looks like she'll have to steal it."

A cute short story that is both funny and heartbreaking while adding some extra background and context to The Boy Who Steals Houses. It's available to read for free on the author's blog @ Paper Fury.
Em The Reading Challenge Challenge
Absolutely beautiful! A wonderful look at the De Laineys trying to celebrate Christmas after losing their mother. It was just the kind of Christmas story I needed this year. CG Drews is a master of blending the dramatic, the humourous and the heartwarming

This short story is available to read here on CG Drews' blog.
Jane (whatjanereads)
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was soooo sad! I‘m crying.
But it was also super funny, I love this big mess of a family. And it was also heartwarming to see them all working together. I would love to read a sequel for this book!
Britt
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the cutest, most adorable disaster ever, and I love it. I've been slacking on reading The Boy Who Steals Houses, but I adore large family stories and now I truly am excited about seeing this family show up in Technicolor. ...more
Margaret Willson
I cried. Very hard.
All I want is more of C. G. Drews writing
Lauren
Shelves: 2019-reads, re-read
This was really cute and I loved that it showed the pain that Moxie felt and still feels about her mother passing. The Christmas feel was alive with this one - and the Australian Christmad nods were spectacular. 5 stars!
Jem Jones
This is SUCH a sweet little Christmas tale about family!! You can read it on Cait's blog here, and I strongly recommend you do so if you enjoyed The Boy Who Steals Houses. <3
Zoe (semi-hiatus)
This is wow. It was absolutely incredible. It's set from Moxie's perspective and her quest to get her family into the Christmas spirit. Made me feel lots of things,,, sadness and joy and just. It's really amazing. 5 pure Christmas stars!

Trigger and Content Warnings: previous loss of loved one, depictions of grief

1). The Boy Who Steal's Houses
Dharshani
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a Christmas story, that happens before Sam. Moxie tries to pull back her family after their mother's demise by pushing everybody to celebrate Christmas. And finally, finally she makes her wish (which is the best part, making this prequel worth so much more)
This is just a novella and is available for free at https://paperfury.com/the-boy-who-ste...
Emily
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
What a super cute Christmasy short story! If you have read 'The Boy Who Steals Houses' (if you haven't, you should read it) and loved the De Laineys, then you should definitely go to C.G. Drew's blog (Paperfury) and give it a read. 'The Girl Who Steals Christmas' is a perfect prequel for 'The Boy Who Steals Houses'.
Priscilla
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I didn’t expect to have my heart broken within 15 pages but here we are I know it feels weird sometimes to give five stars to very short novellas but I just can’t help it, this was so heartbreakingly beautiful and I just want to live with the DeLaineys forever. ...more
Isabel (The Reader & The Chef)
I adore this story so much!!! It's funny and heartfelt and aaaahhh, such a perfect Chirstmas Story! The characters are amazing and I cannot wait to hang around more with them once I start reading The Boy Who Steals Houses!!!
McKenzie Dean
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Looooved it! The perfect little prequel to The Boy Who Steals Houses and I adored every moment of it. Now I want to reread all of C.G.'s books.
Anna
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm crying. There's nothing else to say. I'M CRYING.
Megan
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star, ebooks, read-2019
This was really cute and I can't wait to pick up The Boy Who Steals Houses now!!
Pauliina (The Bookaholic Dreamer)
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS!!!!

Is it too late to read a Christmas story in January?
melanie (mnievellamusings)
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing

“And maybe their life is a glitter snow globe with duct tape over the cracks.”

I was supposed to read this prequel in the morning of Christmas Day, to feel like I would be opening a gift considering I celebrate on the night of Christmas Eve. Unsurprisingly though, I got caught up in the festivities and didn’t have the time, or at least the energy, to commit to reading it. Now I have though, and I absolutely loved it.

I’ve missed the De Lainey’s a little too much ever since I first read The

Hanne T
ever true to the goodreads challenge, cait has released a book at the end of the year so we can all have a easy book to read to help reach our goal

I LOVEEEEE little character developing stories (see: my review for Stars Above ) and I absolutely LOVED this story! It was such a well written prequel, featuring one of my favorite fictional families. It was also set during Christmas in Australia, and it's the first book I've ever read in that setting. Also it made me cry again so Cait is three for
Grace Morris
I love this little short prequel. <3 I love Cait's writing. It always seems to flow off the page and it is so satisfying to read. A super cute sibling story. Extremely emotional. No, I'm not crying, you're crying!

Content in Book:

1. A gay couple. (Only talked about.)

2. Swearing.

3. Using God's name in vain.

Who I Would Recommend This Book Too:

Those who have read The Boy Who Steals Houses (I haven't read it at the time I read this book, and I still fully understood what was going on. =) Those who
Sahar
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
An exceptional Christmas short story, a must for these Christmas holidays. All the components of a great story, within 15 pages, portraying the story of a family of 7 kids, with no mother and a depressed father. Their lives are nothing but mere monotony and the pain of losing their mother. However, the girl, Moxie, this year resolves to fight the monotony and despite the fact that they miss their mother, she fights to have Christmas, something celebrated no more in their house. If she cannot get ...more
daydreamerstardust
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
for a short story, it took me longer to finish this one. that’s what i do with books that are emotional and heartfelt, taking my time to devour them. i invest quite a lot of emotion on this one though it’s only 15 pages long! thought this would be light and warm read for new year, but oh booooy this isn’t a light read AT ALL!!! i have never read The Boy Who Steals Houses but this book still makes sense to me. i love the atmospheric set with different characters’ quirkiness overflowing from the ...more

• Once Upon a Time in the North (His Dark Materials, #0.5)
  • Sea of Strangers
  • Bloodwitch (The Witchlands, #3)
  • The Falconer (The Falconer, #1)
  • Words on Bathroom Walls
  • Darius the Great Is Not Okay (Darius The Great, #1)
  • Call Down the Hawk (Dreamer Trilogy, #1)
  • Sightwitch (The Witchlands, #0.5)
  • Giant Days #48
  • Giant Days #47
  • Giant Days #51
  • Giant Days #53
  • Giant Days #50
C.G. Drews lives in Australia with her piano and the goal of reading every book in existence. Consequently, her brain has overflowed with words and she spends her days writing novels to make you laugh or cry (or both). She never sleeps and believes in cake for breakfast.

She blogs at paperfury.com.

The Boy Who Steals Houses (1 books)
  • The Boy Who Steals Houses