Start by marking “The Collected Novels of Thomas Hardy, vol. 1: Far from the Madding Crowd/The Return of the Native/The Mayor of Casterbridge” as Want to Read:

Hardcover: 875 pages
Publisher: Modern Library; Library edition edition (August 30, 1994)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0679600779
ISBN-13: 978-0679600770
Product Dimensions: 8.1 x 5.6 x 2.1 inches
Shipping Weight: 2.2 pounds
Published 1994 by Modern Library

To ask other readers questions about The Collected Novels of Thomas Hardy, vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Collected Novels of Thomas Hardy, vol. 1

Nina
Mar 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics
University literature class started me on the road to Thomas Hardy. I tried to read all his books and writings. There is a big difference in the tone of the books from Far from the Madding Crwod to the Mayor of Casterbridge. The afore mentioned books have hope and a great story, with plot twists, clever writing and mystery. I even enjoyed returen of the Native, but his books grow increasingly dark. Jude the Obscure actually made me ill. Too dark and fatalistic. What is with these authors anyway. ...more
Sandi
May 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My favorite author of all time. I never miss the chance for a Thomas Hardy and have read Far From the Madding Crowd and The Return of the Native, twice. The best author and great humankind stories! Loved Jude the Obscure, The Mayor of Casterbridge, The Trumpet Major...on and on I could go. If you have not read these classics, go back and do so!
Shannon Paquette
Jun 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Okay, for some reason goodreads doesn't have just The Return of the Native which is the book I've read. I own and intend to read Far from the Madding Crowd. I loved Return of the Native. It's been many years since I read it, so my review can't be more insightful, sorry!
Kevin
Jun 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Return of the Native is captivating. I've read it four times.
E
Andrea
Jan 21, 2014
Lindsay
May 19, 2009
Thomas Hardy, OM, was an English author of the naturalist movement, although in several poems he displays elements of the previous romantic and enlightenment periods of literature, such as his fascination with the supernatural. He regarded himself primarily as a poet and composed novels mainly for financial gain. The bulk of his work, set mainly in the semi-fictional land of Wessex, delineates cha ...more