Start by marking “Call Me God: The Untold Story of the DC Sniper Investigation” as Want to Read:
Call Me God: The Untold Story of the DC Sniper Investigation

Call Me God: The Untold Story of the DC Sniper Investigation

Wednesday, October 2, 2002.
Aspen Hill, Maryland. Northgate Plaza.
5:20 PM.

Inside Michael’s craft supply store, cashier Ann Chapman rings up another customer. Then it happens. A loud crack; a gust of wind; the light in register five goes dark.

Over the next 23 days, the entire DC area will be thrust into a reign of terror unprecedented in American history. Sniper attacks targ
Audiobook, 8 pages
Published October 24th 2019 by Audible Original

To ask other readers questions about Call Me God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Call Me God

Start your review of Call Me God: The Untold Story of the DC Sniper Investigation
BAM The Bibliomaniac
This is hands down one of the best true crime audiobooks I’ve ever listened to! No kidding
It’s an Audible exclusive for those interested.
Mehrsa
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a great audio program that's basically a long podcast. I remember the DC sniper shooting really well and almost can't believe it was so long ago. I think one day we need to grapple with what it means that so much of our FBI and federal crime money and energy went to rooting out every Muslim person with a tangential relationship to terrorism that didn't go into actually stopping crime. The law enforcement people did an excellent job tracking down this sniper, but I wonder about an alterna ...more
Natasha Niezgoda
LISTEN TO THIS NOW!

October 2002. Maryland, Virginia, and Washington DC.

Today, we’re talking about the DC Sniper. Thank you to Audible (Audible Ambassador) for this insane retelling.
Jenna Bookish
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My thanks to Audible for sending me an advance copy of this audio book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own and are not influenced by the publisher.

Audible always knows how to use the audio format to its full potential, and that’s really exemplified in this audio book, bringing the first hand accounts of people directly impacted by the DC sniper and those who helped investigate the case directly to the listener. I’ve said before on this blog that I have a hard time with som
Graeme Newell
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This fantastic book told the story of the 2002 DC sniper case.

What I enjoyed most about this book was the format. This wasn’t a written book. It wasn’t an audio book. It was an audio documentary. The authors did audio recordings with all the real people who lived this dreadful drama. The first-hand accounts were amazing.

It was masterfully edited to create a captivating tale that captured just how frightening it was to live in the DC area while all of this was going on. I also admired the way th
Toya (the reading chemist)
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OMG! Y'all need to listen to this book ASAP!

I am not generally a true crime fan, but I was utterly captivated by this story. I remember hearing about the DC sniper case in the news when I was in high school, but I was ignorant to the sheer amount of tragedy and chaos that these two individuals unleashed on the DC area.

This story provides so much detail surrounding the investigation, tracking down the gunmen, as well as a look into their psyche. I was floored by the sheer amount of information
Nina
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had been meaning to read and/or listen to a true crime story for some time now. I'm so happy that this ended up being my first choice. The thing that initially drew me to this story was the fact that many of the events occurred right in my backyard. I can still vividly recall the concern and chaos that ensued during this time. This audiobook did a fantastic job at sharing the events that I remember as well as adding a wealth of new detail (truly untold) about the DC snipers and the investigati ...more
Liz | The Crime Girl
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 stars!
Thank you SO much to @audible for the gifted copy of Call Me God: The Untold Story of the DC Sniper Attack.

I’m not someone that usually listens to audiobooks as I find them very hard to concentrate on! However, I absolutely LOVED this one, and couldn’t say no when I was offered the opportunity to review!

Call Me God surrounds the story of the DC Sniper Investigation. One of the main reasons I was so intrigued by this was that I’d never actually heard of the case. We follow the 23 day manh
Jen
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
Audible did a great job on this "book." It's not really a book in the classic sense. It's really a podcast that they kept for their own platform. But it is excellent - with many interviews with investigators, family members of victims, and other key people involved in the DC Sniper events. There was a lot of new information that I had never heard before and I especially enjoyed hearing my co-workers (I work in federal law enforcement in the DC region) explain their part in the investigation.

I li
Missy Turner
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Having lived in the Northern Virginia/DC metro area during this sniper spree, it had quite an unnerving affect on me and my family’s lives at the time. Our daughter was about to turn 11 with a planned birthday party at a local corn maze and pumpkin patch. We contemplated cancelling because no one wanted to be outdoors. In the open. Possible targets. We certainly didn’t want our children to be. School events were cancelled. Everyone was living in fear for nearly three weeks. I think you could pro ...more
Sean O'Hara
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is really a podcast that Audible has packaged together as an audiobook, which is why there's no print edition available anywhere. But as a podcast, it's fantastic. I'd take a half-point off because it focuses entirely on the FBI side of the investigation while mostly ignoring the MD state police side, but given how incompetent Chief Moose was, it's not a great loss.
Jim
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Landed on this selection mostly by chance after I saw it heavily promoted on Amazon/Audible. I wouldn't say I'm a true crime junkie, but I've enjoyed a lot of the popular Netflix specials and wanted to know more about this infamous murder spree. I'm embarrassed to admit that I really knew very little about this event. I think I was suffering from fear fatigue after 9/11 and the constant threats of domestic terrorism we all lived under and was most likely trying to avoid additional triggers.

For
Clare Bird
Jun 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
Okay Jim Clemente I give you 5 out of 5 birds for Call Me God! I might be the only one in America who didn't know about this? Okay I was young when it happened, but still. How terrifying to know there was a shooter out there with no pattern and could be anywhere at anytime. This was a COVID19 read for me, so I admit I inappropriately chuckled when one of the wives had said something along the lines, "We can't just stay home, stop schools, and life around us..." (not a direct quote) I was like oh ...more
Florine
I had completely forgotten about this! I was in Peru at the time, and sort of remembers the manhunt, but not that much.

This was a great book/audiobook. In the format of a podcast (so I'm not 100% sure if it's even a book to begin with?) The full cast and I guess real people from the story makes it really poignant.

It was really interesting to see the miscommunication between local & federal officers, the FBI profile, the ending. If you have 5hours to spare, that's a good true crime to listen to.
Rissa
Apr 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.75 ⭐️
Oh my Lord. I didnt know much about the DC sniper case because I was young when it happened but after hearing what these two men did. All the pain they caused... damn.
If you like crime you are going to love (and hate) this audiobook. We get to hear the real people and their families, what they went through firsthand. Including FBI and BAU and police, police dogs, everyone and everything they did to stop these snipers.
Shayna
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I remember this happening.
Then I listened to the Crime Junkies podcast on it. I’m not a huge fan of most true crime podcasts, but I do like Crime Junkies.
Then saw this on Audible. My boyfriend recommended it. He would tell stories of going to gas stations behind tarps and zig zagging into the dry cleaners.
So over Christmas, as we left DC, we listened to this. It’s fantastic. Well told. Interesting. Not at all boring. Easy to follow. Talks about the lives of the victims. Paints them as people s
Karen
May 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
Of course, I heard of the DC Sniper when it happened, but the whole story is multi-faceted and riveting. You know an audiobook/podcast is well done when there is a long list of characters and a complicated timeline for a situation that took place in multiple states/ countries and the story was still told clearly, without confusion. Very well done.
Melanie
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent audiobook account of the 2002 DC sniper case. Obviously this was super heavy at times, but I appreciated the mix of interviews with law enforcement and also with victims’ family members. It was interesting to hear how the FBI’s focus changed drastically after 9/11 to counter-terrorism and that’s why they didn’t initially take over this case. Since all of the shootings happened in suburbs of DC, the FBI just supported local law enforcement at first. I also loved hearing about Lucy th ...more
Rachel
Jun 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Riveting!! Very compelling and exciting! Very well planned
Boundless Book Reviews
I’ve been into True Crime a lot lately. I’ve been listening to podcasts and when I saw Call Me God on audible about the DC sniper, I dived in.

Call Me God was a fantastic audiobook, everyone and everything that was involved with this book. Did an amazing job. It was at times hard to listen to and even fathom that someone could be so evil. So many people lost their lives, for what? All these families, friends that had to go through such an awful, tragic event. My heart goes out to them.

I feel tha
Jessica
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
On October 2, 2002 shots rang out outside a Michael’s craft store in Aspen Hill, Maryland. These events would spark a twenty-three day reign of terror throughout Maryland and Virginia as residents feared for a killer known as the D.C. Sniper. Random attacks throughout the region at everyday places like hardware stores and gas pumps put citizens in fear for their lives. This is the story of the turbulent investigation that brought down John Allen Muhammad and Lee Boyd Malvo.

CALL ME GOD is everyth
Emily
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I grew up in central Maryland, in a small town not too far from the Beltway. I was in 4th grade when the DC Sniper activities happened, and I still remember that for those weeks we were suddenly not allowed to go outside for recess, and adults were very tense. I suppose because there were so many people who worked in DC living in my town, it was thought we could be targeted. So this audiobook was a little personal for me, and I really enjoyed seeing the case from beginning to end as an adult.

Thi
Emily Olsen
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This audiobook sounds more like a podcast series, which was really interesting in its own right. I thought that style worked very well with the story and managing all the voices involved. This is a really fascinating look into the investigative work that went into capturing the DC snipers.
Alexander Fitzgerald
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I've spent a great deal of my adult life listening to talk radio, podcasts, and audiobooks.

I did a lot of menial jobs. Even as a professional poker player, I spent large swaths of time sitting around waiting for a game to start.

I spent untold hours in taxis, buses, boats, and planes. Having a paperback was nice, but music and audio programming allowed you to look out the window.

It was always audio programming that gave me respite. At night, after looking at computers all day, it was radio and
Kisa Libby
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It’s pretty rare for me to give 5 stars, especially to a book that’s not really a book. However I listened to the entire audiobook in less then 24 hours and every time I pressed pause I thought about it until I was able begin listening again.

“Call Me God” reads like a podcast and since I love a good binge worthy true crime podcast this was right up my alley.

Here are some of the things that make this an outstanding true crime read:

- They give each victim some time. They aren’t just bodies with
Girish
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
On a silent Wednesday evening in 2002, Washing DC area gets into a panic as a sniper starts choosing targets at random. Over the next 23 days, 13 shootings happen and 10 deaths and the book talks about the core investigating team trying to piece together and stop the killings.

Snipers are primarily touted to have the God complex, so much so that, it has been part of multiple TV series. But what the series don't tell you is the human element of it - victim family interview, the desperation of the
Cameron (LostInStories)
Sep 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This audiobook was executed so well. Some true crime stories about serial killers almost seem to idolize them but this one did not. Since it was in the audio format we got to hear from members of the BAU, K9 units (the people not the dogs...tragic I know), Sheriffs, prosecutors, the victims family members, survivors of the attacks and more. It was really well done. It took us through the process of how the FBI got back into investigating serial murders after all attention had been focused on ter ...more
Pamela Scott

I tend to really enjoy the @audibleuk True Crime podcasts so expected to enjoy this. I did. I wasn’t aware of the DC Sniper spree of killings so didn’t have any expectations for the production. This isn’t easy to listen to and is very graphic and violent at times as the Sniper, or actually the man and teenage boy responsible for the killings target people at random from all colours, age groups and walks of life. Call Me God is well researched. The podcast
Hoda Akl
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Chilling story of the DC sniper case in 2002. It is baffling to me the extent of evil that humans are capable of, it should come at no surprise, given all the wars and countless stories of pure inhumanity, that there is no limit to the kind of pain we are capable of, but what is scariest of all, is seeing the human side of a serial killer, is knowing their story, and learning that at some point, they were just normal.
This is a very engaging audio production from audible, that brings in many peo
Ryan
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
Listened to the audio (duh). Overall I thought this was very good. It was basically a podcast that they really tried to fit into "book format" or whatever, so that felt a little weird. The music was kind of annoying (again, podcast-y) and I felt unnecessary. It was an enthralling story though. I was only 13 years old when this occurred, and my memories were pretty vague. It blew my mind that these guys had such a long history, before any of the news coverage caught on. I thought overall the stor ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Putin: Prisoner of Power
  • The Goodbye Party
  • Chase Darkness with Me: How One True-Crime Writer Started Solving Murders

Articles featuring this book

If a true crime audiobook is your idea of the perfect listen, then this post is for you. True crime has been enjoying something...