Start by marking “Lily and the Unicorn King (The Unicorn King #1)” as Want to Read:
Lily and the Unicorn King (The Unicorn King #1)

Lily and the Unicorn King (The Unicorn King #1)

A riding competition. A magical battle. Can she win first prize and rescue a herd of lost unicorns?

Lily loves every minute in the saddle. But native herb lessons with her Maori grandmother keep interrupting the 12-year-old's Pony Club championship training. As if that weren't enough, a curious sound under the stars just revealed an impossible sight: battle-ready unicorns

Published July 8th 2019 by Relish Books (first published December 30th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Lily and the Unicorn King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lily and the Unicorn King

Start your review of Lily and the Unicorn King (The Unicorn King #1)
Samantha Solarz
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: primary-school
I received a copy of this title from the author for an honest review.

Set in New Zealand, this story revolves around three friends who are all riders for a pony club. I personally know very little about horses, riding or how to care for them, Kate Gordon (the author) clearly does, and expertly weaves terminology into the text without making the reader feel lost.

Lily, while riding her pony Rainbow, stumbles on a beach full of stranded unicorns and interacts with the leader, Ambrosius. After
M
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In a world full of mean girls and shopping malls, how refreshing it was to read a book where the delightful friendship between Lily, a horse mad twelve-year-old, and her two best friends play out in such an exciting way. Not that I'm saying this book sugar coats the highs and lows of the early teen set, but the writer does a fantastic job of keeping their relationships real and supportive.

Add to this a great cast of co-characters - the grandmother with her healing ways, Lily's parents, who
Yakira Goldsberry
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
When I was a little girl, my biggest dream was to someday own a unicorn of my own, that would be disguised in the shape of a little gray pony, like in my favorite book of that time, My Secret Unicorn by Linda Chapman. My second dream was to own a horse farm with fifty horses, ten cows, and twenty dogs.

Reading Lily and the Unicorn King brought back so many memories of childhood to me, making the book give me a nostalgic feeling. This is definitely a book I would have picked up in a heartbeat as a
Etta Valentine
Oct 06, 2019
Kate Gordon
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Sophie
Jan 22, 2020
Aix
Dec 23, 2019
Book Bloggers of ...: Middle grade fantasy fiction 1 13 Oct 15, 2019 02:12PM
Goodreads Librari...: Add new author of same name, assign book correctly 5 19 Jul 15, 2019 02:21PM

• Manga Classics: Jane Eyre
  • Manga Classics: The Stories of Edgar Allan Poe
  • Dear Author: Letters from a Bookish Fangirl
  • Manga Classics: The Count of Monte Cristo
  • Embers (Abiassa's Fire, #1)
  • Thief of Cahraman: A Retelling of Aladdin (Fairytales of Folkshore #1)
  • The Twelve Realms
  • Adorning the Dark: Thoughts on Community, Calling, and the Mystery of Making
  • Manga Classics: Romeo and Juliet
  • Manga Classics: The Jungle Book
  • Manga Classics: Sense and Sensibility
  • DawnKing (Tales of Faeraven, #4)
  • The Unspoken Name (The Serpent Gates, #1)
  • Queenie
  • Dotty and the Calendar House Key (DOTTY, #1)
  • Daksha the Medicine Girl
  • The Best of Laugh Yourself Silly Jokes for Kids Sampler: Children's Juvenile Humor Ages 6-14 Riddles Knock-Knock Jokes
  • Knock Knock!: Over 100 Funny Knock Knock Jokes for Kids (Best Jokes for Kids)
Kate Gordon spent 90% of her childhood reading books about ponies. The other 10% she spent galloping around the garden on an imaginary horse – until she was able to ride a real pony of her own.

Now she’s penning fantastical adventure stories about brave friends, ponies and unicorns.

Kate is inspired by the magical mountains of Central Otago in New Zealand’s South Island where she lives with her