Start by marking “Ark” as Want to Read:
Ark

Ark

(Forward)

Published September 17th 2019 by Amazon Original Stories

To ask other readers questions about Ark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ark

Start your review of Ark
Emily May
Sep 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Ark was my second read from the Forward collection and my second least favourite. To be fair, I think I liked it more than a lot of other readers did, judging by the reviews, but it was very slow for such a short story.

I like this story more when looking back over it than I did while I was reading. It's a very slow, quiet tale, exploring the beauty of Earth through horticulture. Samantha is a scientist, cataloging plant samples to take on the Ark when the final people leave Earth. Most have
Sandra
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Somewhat bleak and sad short read about the Earth being evacuated because of an oncoming asteroid. The story mostly deals with a girl named Samantha who is cataloging plant samples to take before she leaves with the final people on the Ark. An interesting and different story. It would've been nice if it was a little longer to see what happens to the people in the future who are on the Ark.

This story was part of the Amazon "Forward Collection" series.
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Well, this read was actually a pleasant surprise for me. I thought Veronica Roth's DIVERGENT trilogy went off the rails in the second book, and I never even read the controversial third book. But this contemplative, melancholic novella was really well done.

An asteroid is about to crash into the earth, and it's a worldwide extinction event - the asteroid has been appropriately named Finis. Humanity has known this was coming for over 20 years (the asteroid did a few flybys first) and somehow
Katherine Elizabeth
I really enjoyed this sci-fi short story! Even though it was slow at certain points, the writing always flowed well and the characters remained true to themselves! The conversations about plants were also quite interesting.
Constantine
Oct 01, 2019 rated it liked it

Rating: 3.5/5.0

Genre:
Science Fiction + Dystopia

This was a good short story about a scientist called Samantha. She has the responsibility of getting all the plant samples from earth planet to take them on the ship Ark before Finis asteroid hits the earth and ends all life on the planet.

The story is slow but beautifully written. Its atmosphere somehow reminded me of an indie film that I love a lot called Another Earth. The ending was fitting for the story. There is no much character development
Carol (Bookaria)
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, sci-fi, 2019
This is a reflective short-fiction novel that takes place in the future. An asteroid will soon crash with planet Earth and life as we know it is not expected to survive. For years now, humanity has been preparing to move to another planet before the collision occurs.

The story revolves around Samantha, a young scientist whose job is to catalog plant samples that will be taken with the surviving humans to their new home.

I enjoyed the story, the author is descriptive and immerses the reader in the
Faith M ✨
I thoroughly enjoyed this, from start to finish! I was pleasantly surprised to find that it wasn’t YA, as I’d been expecting, but instead had a similar narrative voice to Jeff VanderMeer’sAnnihilation, in which a female adult scientist is a part of a semi-suicidal mission where strange plants are involved as she recollects past experiences. Turns out it’s a style I really love.

Honestly, the only thing I didn’t care for in this was the idea that all of humanity would agree to evacuate because of
Fiona
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
DISCLAIMER: Two things - I like this kind of story, and I was taken by surprise at how much I liked it - the Divergent series was my only previous exposure to Veronica Roth, and it started strong but quickly went right off the rails. This might have resulted in tipping the rating from 3 to 4 stars.

It's a quick short story, this, but one I really enjoyed - the descriptions of the biologists and the countdown to the final days on earth balanced the potentially morose with hope for the future. It
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
So Veronica Roth clichè.

The writing style is fine but the character development and the plot are so repetitive. Dystopian, controlled world. People are chosen/selected. The earth is going to get destroyed soon. Everything natural on earth is coming to an end.

Sadly, it couldn't hold my interest. It becomes really monotonous after the first 5 pages and the characters are so so. The ending is really bad. Like a story was just starting and it ended out of nowhere.
Trish
Jan 14, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I decided to read this on my way home from work since it had the perfect length. Another one of the stories commissioned by Blake Crouch that talk about a pivotal moment in technological advancement.

We follow Samantha, member of the last group of scientists on Earth. Her job is it to catalogue plants before an asteroid hits the planet and ends all life on it. Four arks have already left with genetic samples and evacuees, hers is the last ship - though she has no intention of boarding it.
However,
Tan Markovic
Jan 16, 2020 rated it liked it
2.5 stars.

My first short story of the Forward series, hoping to finish them all this week
Cathy
Sep 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2019
The audio did not work for me at all. I was bored from the beginning. It just rambled along, I looked in vain for a red thread or something to grab my interest. I listened to it a second time with half an ear this morning and then proceeded to skim the written word.

I think that did the trick. I still don‘t love this story, but I think reading this brings out the subtleties of the story much better than listening to it. I only caught the final twist when I read the words, crazily enough. I might
TS Chan
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Update: Finished all 6 stories in the Forward collection, and I've to say this one is my favourite as it resonated most with my love for nature, and the poignancy of fleeting moments of human connection.

Not a story that would appeal to everyone, but its brand of melancholy was beautiful and struck me deeply. I was surprised by the emotions I felt from such a short story.
Richard Derus
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindled
The Publisher Says: On the eve of Earth’s destruction, a young scientist discovers something too precious to lose, in a story of cataclysm and hope by the #1 New York Times bestselling author of the Divergent trilogy.

It’s only two weeks before an asteroid turns home to dust. Though most of Earth has already been evacuated, it’s Samantha’s job to catalog plant samples for the survivors’ unknowable journey beyond.

Preparing to stay behind and watch the world end, she makes a final human connection.
Bradley
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, 2019-shelf
Thoughtful SF.

Nicely balanced between human worth, the emotional importance of discovery even at the very end of things, and finding hope in the very smallest of things... including seeds.

I won't say this is the end-all of SF, but it was a pleasant divergence from the normal run.

What would you save if the Earth was about to be pulverized?
Henk
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Rather slow, twee and overly sweet for my taste, certainly taking into account it’s a 38 page story about the end of the world

We follow Samantha, a horticulturist on an evacuated earth. She researches plants in the Svalbard gene vault to include these on Ark Flora, preserving biodiversity while humanity moves to earth the sequel. An asteroid is coming to bring the planet back to a pristine state.

You might imagine everyone is freaked out and racing to save as much as they can, but Samantha and
Veronique
Sep 21, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5*

Melancholic short story.

I liked how Roth juxtaposed the immense with the tiny, the cataclysmic end of Earth against a flower. And yet, it kind of makes sense. The small things often are the most important ones in the grand scheme of things. She also contrasted the vast emptiness of an arctic setting (any mention of Svalbard always makes me think of His Dark Materials) with the fecundity of plants in all their tiny and rich intricacies.

This wasn’t an easy to connect with story. The voice of
Alina
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
Kind of boring, no action, lots of plants descriptions, not really my cup of tea..

Forward collection :
Summer Frost by Blake Crouch - 4
Emergency Skin by N.K. Jemisin - 4.5
You Have Arrived at Your Destination by Amor Towles - 2.5
The Last Conversation by Paul Tremblay - 4
Randomize by Andy Weir - 3.5
Mackey
Ark is part of the Forward Collection featured on Amazon.com. Each of the short stories, including this one, explore the author's view of the earth's future. In Ark, Earth and its inhabitants will be destroyed by an asteroid that crashes into the planet. Knowing in advance this will happen, scientists have found an alternate world and most of Earth's inhabitants have been evacuated. The only ones left are the scientists who collecting specimens for the Arks that will travel to the new world. As ...more
Henry
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Enganging

This is a terrific story in the Forward books curated by Blake Crouch. It is the first book I have read by Veronica Roth. It will not be the last!
Sonja Arlow
Oh my, Veronica Roth this was unexpected!

Had I not known who the author was beforehand I never would have guessed this was the one that wrote the Divergent series. Its not a criticism, I really enjoyed the Divergent books but this is a very different kettle of fish.

If you liked Good Morning, Midnight then you will definitely like this short story that forms part of the Forward Collection.

So worth the read!
Alec Lyons
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Simply put, one of the most beautiful pieces I've read in a long, long time.

Quiet, earnest but a little melancholy but also deeply moving and completely utterly tender.

It's hard to summarise, and impossible to capture the quiet, gentle beauty of the prose that tells us this moment in time. I think this will stay with me for a time.
Juli
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A large asteroid hurtles towards earth bringing certain destruction and the end of life on the planet. Impact is expected in just two weeks. Most of the planet has been evacuated. Only a few scientists remain. Samantha is one that remains behind, cataloging and preparing plant samples for humanity's forced trek to the stars. She finds a spark of hope and strength in the final days.

I was drawn to start listening to the six stories in this Amazon Originals collection because I recognized most of
Inkish Kingdoms
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Visit me at: Book Blog / Instagram

This short story was a really nice read... mainly because of Veronica's writing style. I love the inconsequential feeling the author transmits through the main character. How this small story cover the hopelessness and inevitable events of the apocalypse while still holding tide to hope and life.

As a weird new discovered plant makes the cut to survive, the main character undergoes a change so deep that saves her life and allows her to move on. Yes, life can
Gabi
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
So beautiful and melancholic! A story more like a poem, a feeling. Very moving in a quiet voice.

The audio narration by Evan Rachel Wood did the subdued atmosphere justice.
Tania
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really liked this Forward collection short story. I think it's a talent to create a complete and fleshed out plot in a few pages but an even bigger challenge is to get readers to feel something in such a short amount of time. This is exactly what Veronica Roth achieved here.

Unlike her Divergent series this is a slow, beautiful exploration of the end of the world. Loved her descriptions.

If you enjoyed Good Morning, Midnight, you need to read/listen to this.
ChopinFC
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: short-story
2 Stars (Below Average)

Interesting concept, but I have to give this one only 2 1/2 stars. There's a massive comet which is about to destroy planet Earth, and most humans have already evacuated. Samantha stays behind to catalog plant samples for the future of the human race. In the process she 'she makes a final human connection'. The premise felt forced, and the 'connection' was muddled with dialogue that was virtually undecipherable.

Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
A short story so interesting, I wish it continued. What would you do, with the end of Earth by natural causes approaching? Stay and perish or get aboard the last ship, living the rest of your natural life in space?
David
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
With Ark, Veronica Roth has written a beautiful story that, like all good science fiction, uses a futuristic setting to highlight something true about ourselves. In this case, the truth Roth illuminates is the beauty of the earth and how much we have to lose. As such, I viewed it as a very subtle message of conservation / environmentalism.

The mood is somber, which based on the reviews clearly turned off some readers, but it's hard to be too upbeat in a story about the world rapidly nearing
✨Skye✨
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star-good
I quite liked this one, although I think it's telling that I had to read the blurb again and remind myself of what it was about! I did find it resonated quite deeply with me though about the value of our planet and what we stand to lose should humanity not change. There was some interesting discussion about what it means to be human and to live. The flower and plant saving was actually quite interesting too.

• Forward Collection
  • The Praying Mantis Bride (Nameless #3)
  • Photographing the Dead (Nameless #2)
  • Anonymous (Disorder collection)
  • Will Williams (Disorder collection)
  • Red Rain (Nameless #4)
  • Loam (Disorder collection)
  • The Mercy of Snakes (Nameless #5)
  • Memories of Tomorrow (Nameless #6)
  • The Lion's Den
  • In the Heart of the Fire (Nameless #1)
  • Ungirls (Disorder collection)
  • The Beckoning Fair One (Disorder collection)
  • Zenith Man
  • The Best Girls (Disorder collection)
  • The Weddings
  • Can You Feel This?
  • Everything My Mother Taught Me
Veronica Roth is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of Carve the Mark and the Divergent Series (Divergent, Insurgent, Allegiant, and Four: A Divergent Collection). Her short stories and essays have appeared in Summer Days and Summer Nights, Shards and Ashes, and the upcoming Three Sides of a Heart. The Divergent Series was developed into three major motion pictures.

Veronica grew up outside

Forward (6 books)
  • Summer Frost
  • Emergency Skin
  • You Have Arrived at Your Destination
  • The Last Conversation (Forward collection)
  • Randomize
“Well, you can’t love everything equally,” she said. “You just can’t—and if you did, then it’s the same as loving nothing at all. So you have to hold just a few things dear, because that’s what love is. Particular. Specific.” 2 likes
“She wished she could have told him that life was already full of dread, no matter who you were. That there was nothing you could have that you couldn’t one day lose. That autumn always gave way to winter, but it was her favorite time of year—those fleeting bursts of beauty before the branches went bare.” 2 likes