Start by marking “Ark” as Want to Read:

Ark

(Forward Collection #1)

3.55  ·  Rating details ·  11,232 ratings  ·  1,174 reviews

Published September 17th 2019 by Amazon Original Stories

To ask other readers questions about Ark, please sign up.
Mizannie Can't tell if you really think that's what the description says or if you are making a sarcastic quibble with the grammar? Either way, I facepalm in y…moreCan't tell if you really think that's what the description says or if you are making a sarcastic quibble with the grammar? Either way, I facepalm in your general direction (less)

·  11,232 ratings  ·  1,174 reviews

Start your review of Ark
Emily May
Sep 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Ark was my second read from the Forward collection and my second least favourite. To be fair, I think I liked it more than a lot of other readers did, judging by the reviews, but it was very slow for such a short story.

I like this story more when looking back over it than I did while I was reading. It's a very slow, quiet tale, exploring the beauty of Earth through horticulture. Samantha is a scientist, cataloging plant samples to take on the Ark when the final people leave Earth. Most have alre
Sandra
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Somewhat bleak and sad short read about the Earth being evacuated because of an oncoming asteroid. The story mostly deals with a girl named Samantha who is cataloging plant samples to take before she leaves with the final people on the Ark. An interesting and different story. It would've been nice if it was a little longer to see what happens to the people in the future who are on the Ark.

This story was part of the Amazon "Forward Collection" series.
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
This short story was the softest one in the Forward Collection. Almost melancholic.
Third place.
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Well, this read was actually a pleasant surprise for me. I thought Veronica Roth's DIVERGENT trilogy went off the rails in the second book, and I never even read the controversial third book. But this contemplative, melancholic novella was really well done.

An asteroid is about to crash into the earth, and it's a worldwide extinction event - the asteroid has been appropriately named Finis. Humanity has known this was coming for over 20 years (the asteroid did a few flybys first) and somehow every
Nataliya
Aug 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: shorts, 2020-reads
The final story I read in the Forward Collection, Veronica Roth’s Ark, is a quiet, slow, contemplative and understated tale focusing on the loss of everything familiar and unexpected beauty even in the last days of the world as we know it, with tentative hope shining through the melancholy and sadness. It should have been one of my favorites - after all, I usually love slow and contemplative character-focused science fiction - but in the end I found myself a bit dissatisfied and also, frankly, a ...more
Matthew

Another quick tale from the Forward series. This time from Veronica Roth of Divergent fame. I felt she did a great job with very few words creating a multi-faceted story dealing with loss, discovery, and figuring out what means the most to you.

I loved the fact that in such a short story there were so many powerful vignettes. I think my favorite was (view spoiler)
Constantine
Oct 01, 2019 rated it liked it

Rating: 3.5/5.0

Genre:
Science Fiction + Dystopia

This was a good short story about a scientist called Samantha. She has the responsibility of getting all the plant samples from earth planet to take them on the ship Ark before Finis asteroid hits the earth and ends all life on the planet.

The story is slow but beautifully written. Its atmosphere somehow reminded me of an indie film that I love a lot called Another Earth. The ending was fitting for the story. There is no much character development b
exploraDora
***4 stars***

What happens when you know the end of the world is coming?

In this story a huge asteroid is headed toward Earth, with its destruction as a certain result. Thankfully, with enough warning, most of the human population has been evacuated on spaceships. Only a select few stay behind before they are too loaded onto the last "ark" leaving Earth.

The focus here is on the human need to fulfill a job. Samantha is a young botanist in charge of preserving pieces of nature by cataloguing and s
Eliza
I really enjoyed this sci-fi short story! Even though it was slow at certain points, the writing always flowed well and the characters remained true to themselves! The conversations about plants were also quite interesting.
Char
This was well written-at least enough so that I wanted more-I wanted to know more about the people getting ready to leave the planet. Maybe a little more about how their lives went, knowing their planet would soon be unable to support life. Instead, I got a lot about plants, and one woman's personal history and her final decision. I was a bit bored.

*I obtained this audio free through Amazon Prime.*

**Read 6.10.20, during a time which feels like the end of earth as we know it. I'm not adding readi
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Loved it!!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Richard Derus
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindled
The Publisher Says: On the eve of Earth’s destruction, a young scientist discovers something too precious to lose, in a story of cataclysm and hope by the #1 New York Times bestselling author of the Divergent trilogy.

It’s only two weeks before an asteroid turns home to dust. Though most of Earth has already been evacuated, it’s Samantha’s job to catalog plant samples for the survivors’ unknowable journey beyond.

Preparing to stay behind and watch the world end, she makes a final human connection.
Henk
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned-e-books
Rather slow, twee and overly sweet for my taste, certainly taking into account it’s a 38 page story about the end of the world

We follow Samantha, a horticulturist on an evacuated earth. She researches plants in the Svalbard gene vault to include these on Ark Flora, preserving biodiversity while humanity moves to earth the sequel. An asteroid is coming to bring the planet back to a pristine state.

You might imagine everyone is freaked out and racing to save as much as they can, but Samantha and fr
Trish
Jan 14, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I decided to read this on my way home from work since it had the perfect length. Another one of the stories commissioned by Blake Crouch that talk about a pivotal moment in technological advancement.

We follow Samantha, member of the last group of scientists on Earth. Her job is it to catalogue plants before an asteroid hits the planet and ends all life on it. Four arks have already left with genetic samples and evacuees, hers is the last ship - though she has no intention of boarding it.
However,
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
So Veronica Roth clichè.

The writing style is fine but the character development and the plot are so repetitive. Dystopian, controlled world. People are chosen/selected. The earth is going to get destroyed soon. Everything natural on earth is coming to an end.

Sadly, it couldn't hold my interest. It becomes really monotonous after the first 5 pages and the characters are so so. The ending is really bad. Like a story was just starting and it ended out of nowhere.
Faith M ✨
I thoroughly enjoyed this, from start to finish! I was pleasantly surprised to find that it wasn’t YA, as I’d been expecting, but instead had a similar narrative voice to Jeff VanderMeer’s Annihilation, in which a female adult scientist is a part of a semi-suicidal mission where strange plants are involved as she recollects past experiences. Turns out it’s a style I really love.

Honestly, the only thing I didn’t care for in this was the idea that all of humanity would agree to evacuate because of
Carol (Bookaria)
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, sci-fi, fiction
This is a reflective short-fiction novel that takes place in the future. An asteroid will soon crash with planet Earth and life as we know it is not expected to survive. For years now, humanity has been preparing to move to another planet before the collision occurs.

The story revolves around Samantha, a young scientist whose job is to catalog plant samples that will be taken with the surviving humans to their new home.

I enjoyed the story, the author is descriptive and immerses the reader in the
Michelle
Dec 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
This 39 page short story is part of the Forward Collection which was curated by Blake Crouch which at time of posting is available on Kindle Unlimited.

Samantha's entire life has been spent preparing for the end of the world and she is one of the last scientists on earth as everyone else has evacuated to Earth the Sequel.

I can't say much about this as its short and anything would be a spoiler but I enjoyed this so much and really wish it was a full length novel.  I want more!
Bradley
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-shelf, sci-fi
Thoughtful SF.

Nicely balanced between human worth, the emotional importance of discovery even at the very end of things, and finding hope in the very smallest of things... including seeds.

I won't say this is the end-all of SF, but it was a pleasant divergence from the normal run.

What would you save if the Earth was about to be pulverized?
Fiona
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
DISCLAIMER: Two things - I like this kind of story, and I was taken by surprise at how much I liked it - the Divergent series was my only previous exposure to Veronica Roth, and it started strong but quickly went right off the rails. This might have resulted in tipping the rating from 3 to 4 stars.

It's a quick short story, this, but one I really enjoyed - the descriptions of the biologists and the countdown to the final days on earth balanced the potentially morose with hope for the future. It w
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
[2.5/5 stars] Mini Review: I probably wouldn’t have picked up Ark had it not been a review obligation (audiobook production review), but I’m glad I did. It was a lot more understated than I was expecting – a story more about human connection and the little things that make us tick rather than some grand tribute to the end of the world. The main character was a horticulturist trying to catalogue as many plant species as possible before earth gets hit by an asteroid. Humanity had already gone thro ...more
Cathy
Sep 21, 2019 rated it liked it
The audio did not work for me at all. I was bored from the beginning. It just rambled along, I looked in vain for a red thread or something to grab my interest. I listened to it a second time with half an ear this morning and then proceeded to skim the written word.

I think that did the trick. I still don‘t love this story, but I think reading this brings out the subtleties of the story much better than listening to it. I only caught the final twist when I read the words, crazily enough. I might
Tan Markovic
Jan 16, 2020 rated it liked it
2.5 stars.

My first short story of the Forward series, hoping to finish them all this week 🤞
TS Chan
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Update: Finished all 6 stories in the Forward collection, and I've to say this one is my favourite as it resonated most with my love for nature, and the poignancy of fleeting moments of human connection.

Not a story that would appeal to everyone, but its brand of melancholy was beautiful and struck me deeply. I was surprised by the emotions I felt from such a short story.
Alina
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: short-stories, sf
Kind of boring, no action, lots of plants descriptions, not really my cup of tea..

Forward collection :
Randomize by Andy Weir - 3.5★
Diana
May 30, 2020 rated it liked it
3-1/2 stars!

I’m liking this Forward Collection of short stories by various authors. Ark is the second story I’ve read in this series. They are all standalone stories that can be read in any order.

In Ark, the Earth is about to be destroyed by an asteroid. This is something people have known for many years and most of the population has already evacuated. Samantha is one of the scientists who will be last to leave Earth, in fact, this story begins with only 2 weeks before Earth’s destruction! She
Mackey
Ark is part of the Forward Collection featured on Amazon.com. Each of the short stories, including this one, explore the author's view of the earth's future. In Ark, Earth and its inhabitants will be destroyed by an asteroid that crashes into the planet. Knowing in advance this will happen, scientists have found an alternate world and most of Earth's inhabitants have been evacuated. The only ones left are the scientists who collecting specimens for the Arks that will travel to the new world. As ...more
Veronique
Sep 21, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5*

Melancholic short story.

I liked how Roth juxtaposed the immense with the tiny, the cataclysmic end of Earth against a flower. And yet, it kind of makes sense. The small things often are the most important ones in the grand scheme of things. She also contrasted the vast emptiness of an arctic setting (any mention of Svalbard always makes me think of His Dark Materials) with the fecundity of plants in all their tiny and rich intricacies.

This wasn’t an easy to connect with story. The voice of t
Alondra Miller
Mar 05, 2020 rated it did not like it
1 Star

Boooooooooo.... hiisss. Really.? What drivel did I just read? I am so upset. I really thought I wasn’t giving this story a chance.... but I did. It fooled me and now I’m bitter.

Edit: Let me clarify for you. This eBook is 39 pages. It took me 3 DAAYYYSSS to read it. WWhhyyy? I had no interest in ANY of this. I loved the Divergent trilogy by this author, and side-books; but this right here. Naw, fam; this wasn't it.

I am not going to tell you all not to read it; maybe it's just me. -_-
Henry
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Enganging

This is a terrific story in the Forward books curated by Blake Crouch. It is the first book I have read by Veronica Roth. It will not be the last!

• The Last Conversation
  • Summer Frost
  • Randomize
  • Emergency Skin
  • You Have Arrived at Your Destination
  • The Way the World Ends (Warmer, #1)
  • Boca Raton (Warmer, #2)
  • Controller (Warmer, #3)
  • There's No Place Like Home (Warmer, #4)
  • Falls the Shadow (Warmer, #5)
  • At the Bottom of New Lake (Warmer, #6)
  • The Hillside (Warmer, #7)
  • Treasure
  • The Cleaners (Faraway Collection)
  • Halfway to Free
  • The Wickeds (Faraway Collection)
  • The Gift
  • The Contractors
Veronica Roth is the #1 New York Times best-selling author of the Divergent series (Divergent, Insurgent, Allegiant, and Four: A Divergent Collection), the Carve the Mark duology (Carve the Mark, the Fates Divide), The End and Other Beginnings collection of short fiction, and many short stories and essays. Her first book for adult audiences, Chosen Ones, is out now. She lives in Chicago.

Forward Collection (6 books)
  • Summer Frost
  • Emergency Skin
  • You Have Arrived at Your Destination
  • The Last Conversation
  • Randomize

Articles featuring this book

"Do you want to write a sci-fi short story?" Blake Crouch asked Andy Weir. This is how Forward, the brand-new collection from...
“Well, you can’t love everything equally,” she said. “You just can’t—and if you did, then it’s the same as loving nothing at all. So you have to hold just a few things dear, because that’s what love is. Particular. Specific.” 8 likes
“She wished she could have told him that life was already full of dread, no matter who you were. That there was nothing you could have that you couldn’t one day lose. That autumn always gave way to winter, but it was her favorite time of year—those fleeting bursts of beauty before the branches went bare.” 6 likes