Start by marking “The Parasitic Mind: How Infectious Ideas Are Killing Common Sense” as Want to Read:
The Parasitic Mind: How Infectious Ideas Are Killing Common Sense

The Parasitic Mind: How Infectious Ideas Are Killing Common Sense

The West’s commitment to freedom, reason, and true liberalism has never been more seriously threatened than it is today by the stifling forces of political correctness.

Dr. Gad Saad, the host of the YouTube show THE SAAD TRUTH, exposes the bad ideas—what he calls “idea pathogens”—that are killing common sense and rational debate. Incubated in our universities and spread th
Published October 6th 2020 by Regnery Publishing (first published 2020)

To ask other readers questions about The Parasitic Mind, please sign up.
Darth Readius Because thinking is often not very polite and political correctness has become very broad to define and encompasses everything liberals don't like. Ul…moreBecause thinking is often not very polite and political correctness has become very broad to define and encompasses everything liberals don't like. Ultimately freedom of thought is more important then your feelings. You should be allowed to say dumb things and suffer the consequences. (less)

Start your review of The Parasitic Mind: How Infectious Ideas Are Killing Common Sense
Diwakaran RP
Oct 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The book is crisp, precise and extremely engaging with occasional burst out laughter opportunities either from the insanity of the anecdotes or the way Dr.Saad puts it.

Amplifying the "must read"ness of this book is the core message of this book, fight for truth. In the current, caustic climate of deniers of objective truths, this book should serve as an antidote for all those ostriches who are willing to bring their heads out of the ground.
If you are an ardent follower of Dr.Saad, you might have
Will
Oct 10, 2020 rated it did not like it
Filled with your typical anti-SJW platitudes.

Professor Saad tries to make it appear as though he’s doing something novel by coming up with unnecessary terms to describe something that already exists i.e. “Epistemological dichotomania”, which is just binary thinking in a tuxedo.

The book is just an amalgamation of Gad's tweets. You're better off saving yourself the time and money.
Matt Berkowitz
Oct 21, 2020 rated it liked it
This is another enjoyable read in the genre of pushing back against the excesses of political correctness and the seemingly growing illiberalism on the left. It’s not quite up there with Cynical Theories (by Helen Pluckrose & James Lindsay), The Madness of Crowds (by Douglas Murray), The Coddling of the American Mind (Jonathan Haidt & Greg Lukianoff), or The Rise of Victimhood Culture (Bradley Campbell & Jason Manning), but what it perhaps lacks in originality, it contributes in pizzazz and its ...more
Oct 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you're like me and you've found yourself increasingly mystified lately about how the tiniest things are labeled "offensive," how groupthink feels like it's at an all-time high, how basic scientific principles are being deemed "problematic," how dictionary definitions change literally overnight, how a culture of needing to feel "safe" and unchallenged at all times has crept into the world, and how people seem to be defined more by what they look ilke than their actions or intentions, (among ot ...more
Shimon Crown
Oct 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good description of the current post modern mania that has infected much of the English speaking world.

If you follow Professor Saad on his numerous social media outlets then you are going to be disappointed that he doesn't bring anything new to the table.

I was also a bit disappointed that there is no attempt to explain why such mind pathogens are so successful. Perhaps this would require a more technical tome that would render it unsuitable for a general audience.
Carol
Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Now that I have finished reading The Parasitic Mind, I am compelled to recommend it highly! JBP’s observation, “Read this book, strengthen your resolve, and help us all return to reason” is well-founded. The book is so densely packed with purposeful common-sense principles that I can’t even begin to provide an overriding example. It isn’t often that I reread books, but I look forward to going through this one again.
Nader Rizkalla
Oct 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The western countries are now afflicted with the so-called “progressive" thinking.

Under the banner of diversity, inclusion and equality this current is forcing on the majority all sorts of malicious ideas, beliefs, ideologies, cultures and religions!

Progressives impose their doctrine by a variety of moral and societal hideous tactics, including forcefully silencing and demoralizing any one who opposes their views.

This courageous writer (Lebanese Canadian) argues that this trend threatens the We
Tome
Oct 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Intellectually dishonest but brilliant piece of applied marketing!

Prof. Saad's vaccination against infectious ideas is mind virus of his own.

Prof. Saad's promise is this book will vaccinate you against "infectious ideas", namely political correctness, postmodernism, social constructivism, radical feminism and transgender activism. He finds them opposing to his core values: truth and freedom and truth; and core of modern West: freedom of thought and speech, and the scientific method. He wants to

Meghan
Oct 25, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: social-concens
This was a disappointment, although I'm very happy to conclude this is a 'ME' issue.

I'd like some answers re: how did things get so polarized? How are we at the political point where one side is shouting hysterically and brow-beating the rest of us? Are they all really as angry as they seem, or is this some sort of high-school-esque drama show carried too far? As a person with a few points on their own oppression scale, I'm rarely moved to impassioned attacks on the elderly or vile name-calling
Cav
I have followed author Gad Saad on social media for a few years now, and have listened to most of his podcast appearances and long-form talks, as well.
Gad Saad is a Lebanese-Canadian evolutionary psychologist at the John Molson School of Business (Concordia University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada) who applies evolutionary psychology to marketing and consumer behavior. As of 2020, he holds the Concordia University Research Chair in Evolutionary Behavioural Sciences and Darwinian Consumption, writes
Oct 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brian South
Oct 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding

This book is a critical, must-read for anyone who values freedom and human rights! Had Saad does a masterful job of showing how society has grown complacent and accepting of false beliefs and how our rights are being whittled away because we are not willing to be defenders of principles or honey badgers.
Wilton
Oct 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Have been familiar with and a fan of Dr. Saad for a while, but this magnum opus exceeded even my high expectations. He manages to walk the necessary line between presenting intellectual ideas with necessary academic rigor, while speaking plainly. No easy feat. As well, he maintains his trademark rapier satire whenever possible. The book is both informative and inspiring! Quite frankly, five stars seems a little short! #BeAHoneyBadger
Andrés Astudillo
Nov 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People with logic, and specially to SJW
Shelves: favorites
"Common sense is not so common".
- Voltaire

Good news folks. We are living in the 21st century and we don't even understand the basics of science, evolution, and we live in a global tribe that lacks logic. This book is pure logic. Divide et impera is the motto for progressive thinking. I don't even know how to start, but the book's main concern is the lack of logic promoted by political correctness, thought police, and victimization established by progressive thinking.
The USA Constitution is pure
Mags
Oct 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An excellent and timely book on how reason, logic, and the truth has taken a back-seat to our perceptions and emotions. Dr. Saad also shares his ideas on what people can do if they want the truth to matter.
Sanjay Mehrotra
Oct 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
Gad Saad makes his point very well by giving examples that are easy to relate, but they are all, I'm afraid, attacking an extreme view point of the extreme liberal left. Also it covers too much on Univ campus politics which may not be of high interest to others. But good to know.

I get your analogy of walking past a dark alley with a bunch of tall black men vs just old ladies used by you to avoid islamic belief people to be allowed to enter a country. It is purely the choice of the country. I und
Chase Parsley
Nov 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I cannot say that Professor "Gaadfather" Gad Saad turned me into a conservative, but I give him an A+ in exposing the dangers of the totalitarian far-left, and I greatly enjoyed his barbed sense of humor throughout. Saad uses mountains of evidence to write about all things controversial - academia controversies, terrorism, gender relations, etc. It is definitely an entertaining read!

Even if I don't always agree with him, I appreciate his fearlessness to bluntly talk about any issue, and I agree
Ben Rogers
Nov 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Incredible read.
Highly recommended.

This is one of the best books I've read in the longest time.

Definitely a top book of 2020.

The Gadfather delivers.

4.9/5
Katie Clement
Nov 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Dr. Saads journey into the mind, left me wanting more. This read, allowed me to stop and reassess my thought process on assumptions and "truth". Definitely a thought provoking book for those wanting to dive deeper into OPS and the everyday fight for freedom of speech in western civilization.
Dirk Van Der Walt
Oct 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great book. A clear voice in this modern desert
Greg
Oct 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
I expected more out of this book. It was pretty thin and basically just a re-hashing of a lot of cultural incidents that have taken place over the last few years. I agree with the overall thesis of the book, I just thought it would be more "meaty" I guess. Totally readable though.
Јас Лично
Oct 17, 2020 rated it did not like it
Looked smart, turned only butt-hurt, but a comical read overall for sure.
Joe Banner
Oct 10, 2020 rated it did not like it
Evolutionary Psychology is pseudoscience and this book is justification of that.
Steven
Oct 09, 2020 rated it liked it
I pre-ordered this a couple months ago, since I've been watching the Saad Truth from the first few episodes. I like Gad, but I knew I'd find myself taking issue with the book since I already knew he was into the whole memetics thing.

I have a few points:

The first is that Gad's view is at odds with itself at its foundation. He holds a belief that the mind is magically panspecific (Santa Barbara School EP), yet, also believes in genetic bases of social behavior and that there's consequential genet
Chris Boutté
I heard about this book a couple months ago, and it sounded interesting since I love reading about the irrationality of people. Previously, I never heard of Gad Saad, so I followed him on Twitter and checked out his YouTube channel. Within about a week, I unfollowed him. I'm 100% for debating and the sharing of ideas, but like many of the current SJW-bashing "intellectuals", they seem more interested in arguing than having a debate. Nevertheless, I still purchased the book on release day.

This b
Patrycja
Nov 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
As I live in Eastern Europe I was stunned by examples and stories displayed by the author but they made me aware of things I have previously turned blind eye on, as I was unable to pinpoint the troubling notions laying underneath. It may hopefully help me in the future. That being said it was not without it's minor faults. Citations of Twitter discussions were not that annoying as I have read them for the first time, but the author was surprised than anybody could have misinterpreted his satire, ...more
EBookLover
Nov 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I hoped this to be a "popular science" book. Unfortunately while it contains interesting ideas, information and data, it has a way too long introduction (practically about 1/6 of the book is an introduction) followed by a lot of personal experiences, stories, personal opinions, quotes from other people, random topics, towards the end a lot about human sexuality that has nothing against common sense so it is a bit off topic really, facts quoting, personal ideas etc. It does describe many differen ...more
Feri
Nov 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I love Gad Saad. Most of the thoughts that are in this book were familiar to me since I've been following his youtube channel for quite some time.

I expected this book to be very accessible, and I found it a little too accessible, but I understand why he made that choice. It's better to send the message to more people than to cater to the nitpicking of a few snobs like me. :)

I don't quite understand why he didn't narrate it himself, that's my sole disappointment; and I'm not sayin the narrator wa
Olivier Novel
Oct 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the times we live in where courage and reason are in so low supply and lacking in so many of our institutions, mostly academia where at least the latter should be abundant, we find Gad Saad. He's an acquired taste I can give you that because sometimes the best medicine tastes oh so bitter, but he is not one to pull punches, and the least he asks from us is that we try to do the same. Only when we're all courageous enough we won't need to be courageous. Let's all think for ourselves, expunge t ...more
Nelson Gomes
Nov 04, 2020 rated it did not like it
Expected much just disappointment.
Does not answer the question of infectious Ideas is killing common sense.
Most a confirmation Bias, poor justification "some women agree with this", " my friends agree with this"
It exposes some ridiculous ideas but the book is written on his perspective only, plays a victim say if shares these ideas the university will attack is post and his wife to, pure lies.

If you like Right side politics and want to support your ideas of conspiracy and how to do science wi

• Cynical Theories: How Activist Scholarship Made Everything about Race, Gender, and Identity—and Why This Harms Everybody
  • The End of Gender: Debunking the Myths about Sex and Identity in Our Society
  • Apocalypse Never: Why Environmental Alarmism Hurts Us All
  • One Vote Away: How a Single Supreme Court Seat Can Change History
  • Don't Burn This Book: Thinking for Yourself in an Age of Unreason
  • Blackout: How Black America Can Make Its Second Escape from the Democrat Plantation
  • How to Destroy America in Three Easy Steps
  • Irreversible Damage: The Transgender Craze Seducing Our Daughters
  • The Madness of Crowds: Gender, Race and Identity
  • Live Not by Lies: A Manual for Christian Dissidents
  • White Guilt: How Blacks and Whites Together Destroyed the Promise of the Civil Rights Era
  • The Devil and Karl Marx: Communism's Long March of Death, Deception, and Infiltration
  • Woke: A Guide to Social Justice
  • The Stakes: America at the Point of No Return
  • Liberal Privilege: Joe Biden And The Democrats' Defense Of The Indefensible
  • Science Fictions: The Epidemic of Fraud, Bias, Negligence and Hype in Science
  • The Sandman (Sandman Audible Original, #1)
  • Finwell Bay (Shaman's Tales From the Golden Age of the Solar Clipper, #3)
Dr. Gad Saad is Professor of Marketing, holder of the Concordia University Research Chair in Evolutionary Behavioral Sciences and Darwinian Consumption, and advisory fellow at the Center for Inquiry. He was an Associate Editor of Evolutionary Psychology (2012-2015) and of Customer Needs and Solutions (2014- ). He has held Visiting Associate Professorships at Cornell University, Dartmouth College, ...more

News & Interviews

“There is no "black mind" or "white mind", no "white male of knowing", there is only one truth, and we find it through the scientific method.” 1 likes
“Any human endeavor rooted in the pursuit of truth must rely on fact and not feelings.” 1 likes