Start by marking “The Last Conversation” as Want to Read:
The Last Conversation

The Last Conversation

(Forward)

What’s more frightening: Not knowing who you are? Or finding out? A Bram Stoker Award–winning author explores the answer in a chilling story about identity and human consciousness.

Imagine you’ve woken up in an unfamiliar room with no memory of who you are, how you got there, or where you were before. All you have is the disconnected voice of an attentive caretaker. Dr.
Published September 17th 2019 by Amazon Original Stories

To ask other readers questions about The Last Conversation, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of The Last Conversation
Emily May
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Last Conversation was the most "horror" of the Forward collection stories, which I guess is not surprising when you look at who the author is. It's an eerie tale that keeps us in the dark for most of the book, wondering what is going on, but knowing that something is definitely not right.

The second person narration somehow makes it even creepier and more unsettling. I want to liken this story to a well-known movie, but that would give away a major spoiler. So let me just say: what goes on in
Nilufer Ozmekik
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the spookiest, eeriest, most haunted, horrifying, chilling story of the Forward series. I know my husband is gonna get crazy when he realizes the increasing zeros at our electric bill because I will turn on the lights again as soon as he sleeps tonight. (Actually I plan to turn on entire lights of the house just in case not screaming after seeing something shapeless, spooky –like my sister in law who visits only for one week, stays in the guest room, don’t tell I called her shapeless, ...more
Kayla Dawn
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This might be my favorite work of Tremblay so far.
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
3.5 stars. Review first posted on Fantasy Literature:

A person — whose name and gender are never specified, because that person is “you” — wakes up, alone in a room. You’re blind and in intense pain, and at first you remember nothing at all of your past. You only hear one person, Dr. Anne Kuhn, who instructs you through a speaker: testing you mentally, badgering you to exercise, and, little by little, giving you bits of information about your past life and about why you are where you are now.
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
BEWARE OF SPOILERS!
And, obviously, the DNA sequences drawn on the cover are not a spoiler for most of readers, as I just found out. For me, it was and I sort of felt I was aware from the start what would happen later on. Well, anyway, if you are scared of spoilers just stay away from this review :) And from the book cover :)

This wasn't too innovative or striking or anything.

So, this gal's a scientist and the guy's a part of a long chain of something. Striking? No.
They have this plague and she
Henk
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Brilliant play on real versus replica and the authenticity of memory and identity
To forget is to lose something that was once yours, that was once of yourself.

An eerie and well build up story, centered around the the experience of someone waking up in a dark room, without memories, only being talked to by a mysterious doctor through an intercom.
The start point is more often seen (it made me think of More Than This, Slated, The Raw Shark Texts and a Haruki Murakami novel I don't quite remember
Char
THE LAST CONVERSATION is my second read in the Forward series from Amazon, curated by Blake Crouch.

I'm familiar with the works of Paul Tremblay and just read his latest collection GROWING THINGS a few months back. I felt that this story was a bit of a departure from his horror works and it was a change that I enjoyed. Being more of a mystery/science fiction tale, I found the end to be an unexpected surprise- and I love to be surprised!

Thanks to Amazon/Audible for the free reads and the original
preoccupiedbybooks
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Creepy, chilling, unsettling and bleak....
Carol (Bookaria)
This story is part of the FORWARD collection and a great addition to the series. The first book I read from this author was THE CABIN AT THE END OF THE WORLD which was an intense horror novel.

This short story is different but as deeply scary and creepy as the novel I mentioned. Imagine you wake up in a dark room, very dark. You can't see anything at all and you don't know if it's because the room is dark or if it's because you're blind. But worst of all is realizing you don't know who you are or
Richard Derus
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindled
"Dear" Paul Tremblay,

I've just finished THE LAST CONVERSATION. I loathe second-person narration...so chest-pokey, so accusatory...but this story made me leak tears and gasp for breath and I do not ever want to be that lonely and how did you do that in spite of thumping my nose for 60 pages?

Five stars. Bastard.

Dec 31, 2019 rated it liked it

Rating: 3.5/5.0

Genre:
Science Fiction

If you love Paul Tremblay's writing style you will like this book. He has his writing style all over it. It is creepy, mysterious and has a strange feeling to it! Even the narration itself where the main character is being addressed as "You" to the reader makes everything spooky. So when you wake up, you are blind and isolated alone in a room, completely unaware of everything else!

Usually, this kind of narration style can be a hit or a miss. In this case, I
Bradley
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, sci-fi, 2019-shelf
No spoilers, but this one is easily the creepiest of the Forward collection.

It's definitely a White Room mystery. :)

Well worth the read and very possibly the best Paul Tremblay I've read.
Hamad
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
This Review Blog Twitter Instagram

Actual Rating: 2.5 stars

I am on the fence about this one! I did not know the author prior to reading this one, I am not a fan of horror so I probably would have never have been exposed to his works.

That of course, does not mean that I wanted to dislike this or skip it, I wanted to like it but the author kept it very vague and the scientist kept saying maybe and you will understand later and I can't tell much. And since this is written in 2nd person POV, it
Manisha
“To forget is to lose something that was once yours, that was once of yourself.”

The Last Conversation is the fifth book in the Forward Collection series I have read, and I completely loved it.

THE TESTS CONTINUE…

As someone who absolutely loves the exploration of a twisted mind, I have to say that this story was exactly the type of tale that I seek out. It had a slow build, revealing parts of the story little by little, but leaving the reader in utter confusion until the last moments. It also
Gabi
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was one delightfully creepy story. I'm still feeling the chill of this slow buildup and utterly fitting use of second person POV.
Gerhard
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
You’re awash in the sun’s fusion-powered glare and you close your eyes, cover your face with shaking hands. You listen to the wind echoing in the bowls of your ears. The smell of the air and how it feels on your skin, on your lips, and inside your lungs are beyond your abilities of description.
Cathy
Oct 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019
Do not read any reviews beforehand. You will get spoiled.

A little creepy and a lot ominous. Psychological horror. Our protagonist wakes up blind, without memories, restrained to one room, with the embodied voice of a doctor telling him what to do. Slowly memories return.

Desperation comes to mind, especially when the story and its secret begin to unravel.

The audiobook narration was ok. So was the story overall.

Tan Markovic
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3rd book I've read in the Forward series and definitely my favourite story so far.
Dawn C
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Funny how the short story I liked the best of this collection was by the author whose book The Cabin and the End of the World I absolutely hated. Guess I may have to give him a second chance.
Claire Y
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
You can sense sinister as soon as you start reading. A page turner for me, and what an ending.
Rue
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
7A0x4VO
It was creepy-ish i would say cause you can almost predict the outcome but the story is definately unsettling. I was feeling emotional at one point (don't know if it's supposed to be that way ). It doesn't answer as many questions as i would have liked, overall i still found it interesting and engaging.
Obsidian
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Wow. This was a bang up short story in the collection. I loved it. It had a lot of horror elements I thought working for it too. The ending gave my goosebumps.

"The Last Conversation" follows an unnamed person (we never find out if they are male or female which I liked) who wakes up slowly and cannot see. We don't know what has happened, except a person named Doctor Kuhn is the only person that the unnamed person can talk to via an intercom. The unnamed person is run through daily tests and told
TS Chan
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Disturbing and unsettling, this is another entry in the Forward collection that is written in 2nd person. It worked really well to convey a story about memories and identity.

"To forget is to lose something that was once yours,that was once of yourself. But how could one lose something as expansive as an ocean in a dusty corner of one's mind? What if, instead, to forget is to open a door to a void; the memory is not retrievable because it is not there, was never there."
Emma
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
4.5 stars . Chilling story that thoroughly engaged me despite the awful scenario.
Cheryl
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was an odd book but I liked it. A person wakes up in pain and doesn’t remember anything. With the help of one other person they are rehabilitated and begin to remember, or think they do.

This is very slow paced but really nicely done, we are left throughout most of this book wondering what happened and what is happening now. The way it is written it is as though we are the person who has woken up wondering what is going on.

It’s a gradual build up to the ending. I liked this story, it wasn’
Jamie
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
"You’ve been awake and not-awake for days, maybe weeks, perhaps longer. You do not know where you were then, or before then. You are here now. A significant amount of time has passed, but from what beginning you do not know. You consider the origin of this time during which you’ve been awake and not-awake and conclude it is, for the moment, unknowable."

So begins The Last Conversation. Immediately immersive, it pulls you directly into a mystery using 2nd person narration. Starting with a blank
Monica
This Amazon Forward Collection was definitely great!! I liked/loved all of the stories. This one was a sort of end of mankind story. Poignant, sad, excellent.

4 Stars

Listened to the audiobook. Excellent performance.
Veronique
Oct 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: r2019, scifi, short-story
More psychological than true horror. This is a good novella but I didn’t really connect with it, probably due to its sad theme.

In all, I’m very impressed with the quality of all six stories, and yes, my firm favourite is Jemisin’s Emergency Skin!
nova ryder ☼
this felt like an episode of the twilight zone. very strange. very weird. just enough of a story to make you feel unsettled.
Trish
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this volume of the Forward Collection we wake up alongside the mysterious X. We don’t really know anything about X, not even their gender (though the narrator suggests that X is male). X does not know who he is, where he is, how he got there. All he knows are the sessions with Dr. Kuhn, a female therapist. Or is she?
X and the reader go through various tests and thus also learn a thing or two about Dr. Kuhn herself as well as whatever complex we’re finding ourselves in. Until we’re allowed to

• Forward Collection
  • Will Williams (Disorder collection)
  • Loam (Disorder collection)
  • Anonymous (Disorder collection)
  • Photographing the Dead (Nameless #2)
  • The Beckoning Fair One (Disorder collection)
  • The Praying Mantis Bride (Nameless #3)
  • Ungirls (Disorder collection)
  • Red Rain (Nameless #4)
  • The Mercy of Snakes (Nameless #5)
  • Zenith Man
  • The Lion's Den
  • Memories of Tomorrow (Nameless #6)
  • The Weddings
  • In the Heart of the Fire (Nameless #1)
  • The Best Girls (Disorder collection)
  • Can You Feel This?
  • Everything My Mother Taught Me
Paul Tremblay is the author of DISAPPEARANCE AT DEVIL'S ROCK and the award-winning A HEAD FULL OF GHOSTS. His other novels include THE LITTLE SLEEP (Henry Holt), NO SLEEP TILL WONDERLAND (Henry Holt), SWALLOWING A DONKEY'S EYE (Chizine Publications), and the YA novel FLOATING BOY AND THE GIRL WHO COULDN'T FLY (co-written with Stephen Graham Jones, as P. T. Jones).

He is the author of the short

Forward (6 books)
  • Summer Frost
  • Ark
  • Emergency Skin
  • You Have Arrived at Your Destination
  • Randomize
“To forget is to lose something that was once yours, that was once of yourself. But how could one lose something as expansive as an ocean in a dusty corner of one’s mind? What if, instead, to forget is to open a door to a void; the memory is not retrievable because it is not there, was never there.” 3 likes
“To forget is to lose something that was once yours, that was once of yourself. But how could one lose something as expansive as an ocean in a dusty corner of one’s mind?” 2 likes