Start by marking “The Fat Cat Sat on the Mat” as Want to Read:
The Fat Cat Sat on the Mat

The Fat Cat Sat on the Mat

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  1,282 Ratings  ·  70 Reviews
Learn to read with this funny rhyming story starring a big orange tabby cat!

The fat cat sat on the mat. "Get off!" said the rat. But the fat cat just sat. Will the rat get the fat cat off the mat?

This funny, phonetic Level One I Can Read is perfect for kids learning to sound out words and sentences.
Published July 17th 1998 by HarperCollins (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Fat Cat Sat on the Mat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fat Cat Sat on the Mat

Seung Lee
Aug 20, 2017 rated it liked it
I think this is a great book for early readers. Lots of rhymes and a cute story.
Nicole Bryan
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rdng-350
Summary: A fat cat was on a mat and the rat did not like that. The rat got the hat and they tried to trick the cat to get off to come get the fish off the dish. When Wilma (the witch owner of the cat and rat) comes home she questions the fish being out and then the cat gets up.
Reflection: I liked this story. The students are going to love the comical ending of "thank goodness said the mat".
Use in Class: PERFECT book to introduce rhyming words! Students could clap each time they hear the /at/ s
Amy
The title doesn't sound like it belongs to a five star book, but it totally applies. A beginning reader that is engaging and funny, using words that my kiddo can read warrants five stars from me.
Cara
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting story and I think I liked it more than my son did. There isn't exactly a plot, the book revolves around a mat, and the reader is left without knowing who the mat really belonged to. But it was cute and full of simple sentences for a beginning reader.
Cosette
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This tale is a riveting tale!
Sara
Mar 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Cute easy read. Great level one book... my son knew most words, but there were a few more tricky words he needed to figure out.
Mary Ledom
The Fat Cat Sat on the Mat is an excellent beginner book for children. The plot of the book, as well as the diverse characters, keeps the reader interested and eager to continue onto the next page. This book uses short sentences, familiar words, and simple concepts for children who are beginning and excited to read. The use of short a vowel words (cat, mat, etc.) allow the reader to see and practice this specific concept. Also, children will become familiar with rhyming words on every page. As a ...more
Haley Hardwick
May 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Personal Reaction: I loved this book! I remember reading it when I was younger. I love the illustrations and the repetitive language and the use of rhymes. I think it would be very popular and entertaining for transitional readers due to the longer sentences, and the dialogue that is present within the text.

Purpose/Use in Classroom: I think this book would be great for a read aloud in class. I think it would be great when discussing a unit on rhyming words as well. I believe that students would
SallySnowtiger
Nov 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: easy-to-read
The Fat Cat on the Mat
1st grade
Karlin uses color, cartoon-like illustrations that depict the characters and scenes. There is a lot of rhyme words such as “cat, rat, hat, mat, bat, room, broom” making it a perfect for young readers’ vocabulary development. 1st graders will really enjoy this book and most likely want to hear it several times because the rhyme and humor make this book fun. The rat fights with the cat over a mat. The rat brings in several of his friends to help support his cause, su
Kayla Heenan
May 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was a very easy read that I could see many students enjoying. The story line was fun and very easy to follow.
Purpose/Use in Classroom:
This would be a perfect book to read aloud to my students as I was introducing a rhyming lesson. The words are not difficult and easy to understand. The students could easily get involved by saying what word they believe might come next. This would be a good book for students to read alone in kindergarten to help sharpen their reading and rhyming skills.
Melanie, Aaron, Annie, and Mary Project
Read by: Annie
Genre: poetry
Author: Nurit Karlin
Interest Level: PK - 1
Grade Level Equivalent: 1.3
Lexile: 220L

This is a great book for early readers and those learning about word families. A witch's fat cat sat on a mat that is usually claimed by her rat. The rat gets his bat and his hat to tell the cat to get off the mat, but the cat will not. They try to lure him away with a fish on a dish, but the cat is too smart for that. The witch returns and asks the rat what makes him think the mat is his,
Gabriella
Sep 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: animal-fiction
This is a humorous story about a cat who sits on a mat and enrages a rat. The rat uses a bat, hat, dish, and fish to persuade the cat to get off of the mat but the cat will not be out-smarted. This story was composed of sight words and filled with rhyming words in order for any beginning reader to easily read along. I remember reading this as a child and I felt so accomplished to get all the words correct without getting tongue-tied from all of the rhymes.
Brittany Bean
Sep 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book is about a witch named Wilma. Wilma has a pet cat, rat and bat. I really like this book because there is a whole lot of rhyming. This book will let children become familiar with rhyming and after the book you could have a child say a word and then the other children have to come up with a word that rhymes with it. I think this is a great book for the classroom and there are activities that you can branch off and do from this book.

Keeko
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a gem! This is an "I Can Read" book, and it would have made me love reading. It's one of those books that if you had read it when you were a beginning reader, you would always remember it with a smile, and if you wer lucky enough to have been able to hold on to it through you life, you would always treasure it, and smile each time, you read it again.
Lori
Nov 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: beginner-books
The fat cat sat on the rat's mat. The rat hates the cat. One night, Wilma (the owner of both rat and fat cat) leaves and the rat is determined to get the fat cat to move. What will the rat do to get him to move? And, in the end the mat is the most relieved.

Book for a beginner reader who is learning sight words and simple sentences, Pre-k to Kindergarten.
Shelli
Feb 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
While this style book lacks great story telling it serves another equally important purpose: to build confident young readers. How proud is every small child when they can read a book on their own for the first time? The repetitive language with simple words and accompanying pictures makes this a must have book for all budding readers.
Rosa Cline
Nov 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: halloween, kids
This is an "I Can Read Book" and the sentences once the reader recognizes it, will be able to read it as they are repetitive throughout the book on each page. Words that end in "at" and words with "oo" (broom, zoom, room) This story is a silly one, not really making sense but my nearly 4 year old granddaughter giggled at it.
Caitlin
May 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a really excellent reader, my emerging readers love it! Its just easy enough and just hard enough to build confidence. The best part is that the argument between the cat and the rat is engaging, rhyming, funny, and silly! (P.s. There IS a witch in it, so you may want to watch out if you're working with children from certain religious backgrounds).
David
Nov 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: cadl, kids
The book is good, but we were a little disappointed. The title had all the early words our five-year-old granddaughter first learned, but it turned out to be harder to read than the title would suggest. Expected it to be more like Cat Days, her favorite early reader.
Lisa
Sep 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
I read this book to Lila, she enjoyed it. It was short enough to hold her attention and fun for her to listen to. I am also going to let my cast study student borrow it in hopes to promote confidence!
Stephanie Moran
I truly appreciated this book for my son who is at a low reading level and struggles. The story was a tad long. Yet, the repetitive words are a godsend because many newer lower reading books have hard words that make reading aggravating for struggling readers (and their parents too!!)
Samantha
Jan 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cats, rhyming
This book caught my eye because of the excessive use of "at" words. There are also rhyming phrases aside from the /at/ sound. The storyline has a problem/solution as well as progressive additions. It would be good to teach "at" words, rhyming, sequencing, and problem and solution recognition.
Jonny
This book has a somewhat scattered rhyme scheme, and a somewhat scattered plot. And although is does well to teach kids familiar sounding words and might do wonders for fluency; it's a shallow book with little to no motivation driving its plot.
Alex Perlmutter
Aug 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read down below to see my comment!

Omg oh my gosh! I love that and I'm 11! That was so good you should make more like that! I wonder what would happen if the fat cat farted...
Cami
Jun 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious story about a cat who won't get off of the rat's mat. Loved it enough to read it aloud to my husband.
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
Wilma the witch has a fat cat that won't get off the mat. A.R.
Kim
Apr 10, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mini-me
Cute, but the rhyme scheme was inconsistent, which is a bit of a pet peeve.
Ellenjsmellen
Dec 02, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: beginner-reader
Magically teaching my son to read!
Lydia
Ah, if you're focusing on the "at" word family, this simple "I Can Read" books for you.
  • Thomas and the School Trip (Thomas & Friends)
  • Oliver
  • Big Egg
  • I Like Bugs
  • Henry and Mudge and Mrs. Hopper's House
  • More Spaghetti, I Say!
  • Glasses for D.W. (Step-Into-Reading, Step 3)
  • Biscuit's Day at the Farm

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Stories
  • The Hidden Flower
  • Greyhound
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Take Two (Above the Line, #2)
  • The Heart Mender: A Story of Second Chances
  • Where We Belong
    $5.99 $1.49
  • Cashelmara
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
  • The Sisterhood of Blackberry Corner
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Gates of Rome (Emperor, #1)
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things