Start by marking “The No-Nonsense Guide to Fair Trade” as Want to Read:
The No-Nonsense Guide to Fair Trade

The No-Nonsense Guide to Fair Trade (No-Nonsense Guides)

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  49 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
The uproar at the World Trade Organization conference in Seattle focused attention on the conflict between the mainly western-owned global corporations and the poorer nations whose natural resources and cheap manpower sustain corporate profits, and who are also the unwilling purchasers of overpriced and inappropriate goods. In this book David Ransom vividly reveals the rea ...more
Published 2001 by Verso

To ask other readers questions about The No-Nonsense Guide to Fair Trade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The No-Nonsense Guide to Fair Trade

Kris
Mar 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: econ
Good, short intro to fair trade.
Wendy
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was the resource I was looking for to truly understand what the fair trade movement is about. The introduction explains how supposed free trade is making people in many global south countries poorer; and clearly illuminates the results of NAFTA on the people of Mexico including farmers and factory workers. The subsequent chapters are in-depth examinations of the trade economics of products including bananas, coffee, cocoa and blue jeans. A must-read for anyone interested in trade justice.
Katie
"No-nonsense" is the perfect way to describe this book. It's dense with facts and information about fair trade. For the most part, I felt the information was unbiased. I really enjoyed reading the personal stories behind many material things we often take for granted. Fair trade is a topic close to my heart and this book offers a compelling argument in its favor.
Cristiane Bonezzi
I was curious to learn more about the concept of "fair trade" and this book was very informative. It shows several examples of fair trade initiatives and compares the notion of "free trade" and "fair trade", besides questioning what sort of fair trade we should try to enhance in our society.
Rosie
Jan 18, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've only read the coffee part of this little book, but it was very thorough, informative and unbiased.
Ubalstecha
Jul 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Another densely written volume aimed at high schoolers doing research. Really meant for Grade 10 an above. A little dated, given the publishing date of 2001.
Victoria
Sep 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Trade can provide sustainable livelihoods to communities in the Majority World. This book is full of facts and information about fair trade and the benefits it can bring.
Carinna Tarvin
Nov 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
Felt like I was being lectured to by a completely biased, long-winded old white guy who was very proud of himself for traveling.
Matt
Jacqui
rated it it was ok
Aug 22, 2012
Melissa
rated it did not like it
Dec 23, 2008
rated it it was ok
May 19, 2017
Tristan
Jun 19, 2007

No-Nonsense Guides (1 - 10 of 36 books)
  • The No-Nonsense Guide to Animal Rights