Start by marking “Firebreak” as Want to Read:
Firebreak

Firebreak

Like everyone else she knows, Mallory is an orphan of the corporate war. As a child, she lost her parents, her home, and her entire building in an airstrike. As an adult, she lives in a cramped hotel room with eight other people, all of them working multiple jobs to try to afford water and make ends meet. And the job she’s best at is streaming a popular VR war game. The be ...more
Expected publication: 2021 by Saga Press

To ask other readers questions about Firebreak, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Firebreak

Start your review of Firebreak
Karina Sumner-Smith
I read a few early chapters of this book and loved them -- then was afraid that the rest wouldn't hold up. I was afraid, truly, that my early enthusiasm was just setting me up for disappointment. Then I read the rest of the draft, and loved the rest of the book *more*. Truly, FIREBREAK is weapons-grade awesome and I can't wait to read the final version.
Lisa Grabenstetter
Nov 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you, like me, absolutely adored Archivist Wasp and Latchkey, and were always niggled by the tantalizing fragments of a world almost like our own, where the ghost may have come from and how it all fell apart... here it is, and it’s glorious. What Kornher-Stace has done here, writing a post-apocalypse backwards to its origin, is like nothing I’ve read anywhere else.
Autumn
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this book from start to finish. It checks off everything I want to see in a five star book: steller writing, characters I care about, and world building that feel effortless without beating me over the head with long descriptions and complicated rules. Firebreak is the intersection of everything I love in speculative fiction.

Writing style: each sentence is like a puzzle piece fitting into the next. Each section leading into the next to form a tight story that I plowed through in only a h
Adriana Van
Nov 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Imagine yourself in the shoes of an uncomfortably near-future David, facing down a nation-sized corporate Goliath with one pebble in your slingshot. Imagine hurling it despite the odds, because you have it and someone has to try. Imagine that your pebble strikes true, but only annoys Goliath into wanting to stomp you and your whole neighbourhood flat.

Mallory knows she isn't cut out to be a hero, but when that pebble lands in her hands, she throws it anyway because she cares enough to try.

If th
Slmstanley
Nov 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Netgalley provided me with an advance copy of this book, and I'm very happy they did.

If you're unfamiliar with Kornher-Stace's work to this point (the very excellent "The Archivist Wasp" and "Latchkey"), you'll love this book because it's the tale of a professional video game player (and dog walker) in a dystopian landscape of war and water rationing. Mallory (aka Nycorix in-game) chases through her virtual open world in search of sponsors who keep her feed in credits and water coupons. Dotted t
Crystal Hilbert
Nov 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing. I've seen it compared to Ready Player One a lot, but let me tell you, it surpasses it by a mile. The plot is face-paced and meaningful. The story beats really impact. The writing is tight and delicious with no description wasted. Kornher-Stace can characterize a whole interaction with a meaningful glance and you love to see it. I swooned.

Though chronologically this book falls before Archivist Wasp and Latchkey, I recommend reading them in publishing order. That way you'll g
Debbie Gascoyne
Nov 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Full review to come shortly.
Mythic Delirium

• The Runaway Maid
  • The Dollmaker's Daughters
  • Cockney Orphan
  • A Liverpool Song
  • Homecoming (Beach View Boarding House/Cliffehaven #18)
  • Fireheart Tiger
  • Everyone Can Bake
  • The Ruthless Lady's Guide to Wizardry
  • On Account of the Gum
  • The Space Between Worlds
  • The Emperor's Wolves (Wolves of Elantra #1; Chronicles of Elantra #0.1)
  • Theme Music
  • The Unidentified: Mythical Monsters, Alien Encounters, and Our Obsession with the Unexplained
  • Missing 411: Western United States and Canada
  • The Times I Knew I Was Gay
Nicole Kornher-Stace lives in New Paltz, NY, with her family. Her books include ARCHIVIST WASP (Small Beer Press/Big Mouth House, 2015) and LATCHKEY (Mythic Delirium, 2018), which are about a far-future postapocalyptic ghosthunter, the ghost of a near-future supersoldier, and their adventures in the underworld.

She has two more books due out in 2021: FIREBREAK, forthcoming from Simon & Schuster/Ga

News & Interviews