Start by marking “Murder on Cold Street (Lady Sherlock, #5)” as Want to Read:
Murder on Cold Street (Lady Sherlock, #5)

Murder on Cold Street

(Lady Sherlock #5)

Charlotte Holmes, Lady Sherlock, is back solving new cases in the USA Today bestselling series set in Victorian England.

Inspector Treadles, Charlotte Holmes’s friend and collaborator, has been found locked in a room with two dead men, both of whom worked with his wife at the great manufacturing enterprise she has recently inherited.

Rumors fly. Had Inspector Treadles kille
Published October 6th 2020 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about Murder on Cold Street, please sign up.
Bright Star I've asked the author on her IG profile and she said the story arc seems to call for 10 books in total 😃

Start your review of Murder on Cold Street (Lady Sherlock, #5)
Julie
Sep 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Lady Sherlock Rocks!

This is my first book in this series. I wouldn't have chosen to start here, but this is an assigned book - on a deadline, I've already missed- so I dug in, hoping for the best.

Despite missing out on some interesting history between the recurring characters, I thoroughly enjoyed this excellent locked room mystery. I had been curious about this series for a long time, so I'm glad I finally had the chance to check it out. I will definitely continue on with the series and hopefu
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
The Lady Sherlock series truly has become one of my most favorite series for very good reason. It is always so well executed, so well drawn out, with characters that are both real and lovable that you can't help getting sucked into the story, into the mystery, and into the very lives of each character.

I absolutely adore this rag tag group of people, their relationships with one another, their back stories, how they interact, how they love, how they take care of one another and of course, the mys
Caz
I've given this an A- at AAR, so that's 4.5 stars rounded up.

And I like the UK cover better than the US one ;) Charlotte is blonde not brunette.

Murder on Cold Street, the fifth book in Sherry Thomas’ acclaimed  Lady Sherlock  series picks up immediately where the previous book (The Art of Theft) left off, so if you haven’t read it yet, then you might want to wait to read this review until you have.  In fact, there will probably be spoilers for other titles in the series here, and while in some
aarya
2020 Fall Bingo (#fallintorombingo🍁): Pining

This series is always stellar when the investigation has intense emotional stakes for the reader (here, Inspector Treadles has been accused of murder). Possibly my second favorite in the series after THE HOLLOW OF FEAR.

RTC.

Disclaimer: I received a free e-ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
saskia
how are you going to begin reading a series from the fifth installment and criticise choices made by the author about the main character and their relationships when you've purposely missed out on four books of development?

2020, first read: This series has me in a chokehold. Although not the most intriguing of mysteries, it did feel rather like an in between book and I didn’t mind that one bit. Even if it isn’t as great as previous ones i am addicted to the writing and this world so the experie
Navessa

I’ve been putting off writing this review for almost two weeks now. This is the first Sherry Thomas book that I haven’t given five stars to, and it actually pains me a little.

For anyone who absolutely adores an author, like, truly thinks they’re a master of their craft and has all the confidence in the world that their work will stand the test of time, and then you read something from them you don’t love, you know how I feel right now.

I did not love this installment of the Lady Sherlock series.
Kyra Leseberg (Roots & Reads)
Sep 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc

Charlotte Holmes is on the case when Inspector Treadles is found locked in a room with two dead men, both employees at the company his wife recently inherited.
Tongues are wagging at the gossip that Inspector Treadles murdered the men in a jealous rage or possibly anger that they opposed the changes his wife was making within the company.
Mrs. Treadles is certain her husband had nothing to do with the murders but there are secrets being kept that won't make it easy for Charlotte to find
Sophia
It's the festive Christmas season of holly, ivy, plum pudding, and a murder that might prevent Holmes' friend, Inspector Treadles from celebrating ever again. Each installment of the Lady Sherlock series is awaited with great anticipation and never fail to deliver.

Murder on Cold Street is the fifth of the Lady Sherlock series of historical mysteries that work best when read in order.

After the daring deeds of their last case, Charlotte Holmes, Lord Ingram, Mrs. Watson, and the others hope to cele
Antonella
buddy read with my friend Andrea

I wouldn't recommend you to read this book as a standalone...
if you enjoy historical fiction/ mystery-solving books give this series a chance

random ramblings:

- empowering & feministic series

- amazing characters

- mystery you will be trying to solve until the very end

- childhood friends romance that is slowly developing throughout the series

- lots of love for cakes

Thank you Andrea for reading this with me!!

4,5 stars

Patricia’s Book Summaries
Gahhh. 2020 is too long!
eyes.2c
Lady Sherlock shines!

Well this is a complex mystery with all sorts of associations from Charlotte Holmes' past cases bubbling under the surface. Lord Ingram Ashburton and Mrs. Watson are of course up to their neck in the trou. It's just prior to Christmas 1886.
Inspector Robert Treadles has been accused arrested for of murder, having been found by police in a room locked from the inside. They'd forced the door and found Inspector Treadles "barricaded ... behind the bedstead, his service revolver
Barb in Maryland

Oh, no! Inspector Treadles has been arrested for murdering two men associated with the firm his wife now owns. He was caught, covered in blood, with the murder weapon in his hand. His wife seeks the help of Sherlock Holmes in freeing her husband.

Charlotte Holmes, Mrs Watson, and company work frantically to solve the case. To complicate matters, Inspector Treadles will say nothing and Mrs Treadles tells the truth, but not the whole truth.

The mystery is wonderfully twisted, with numerous
☕️Kimberly
Sep 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-2020
Charlotte’s friend and collaborator, Inspector Treadles, has been detained on charges of murder. Charlotte believes him incapable of the murder, but evidence suggests he suspected Mrs. Treadles of having affections for another which drove him to commit murder. Charlotte posing as an investigator on behalf of her brother Sherlock Holmes sets out to investigate. Of course, she won’t be able to stop herself from meddling in the affairs of others… but that’s why I adore her.

The tale was clever, from
nick (the infinite limits of love)

4.5/5

I am so in love with the Lady Sherlock series, I can't possibly express my feelings for it no matter what I say. I had high hopes for Murder on Cold Street and once again, Sherry Thomas delivered with just the story I was expecting.

If you want my opinion on these characters, please check out my previous reviews. I don't want to be too repetitive so I won't dwell on the characterizations but know that Sherry Thomas is a master at what she does. With every book, I fall further and further in
Barbara Rogers
Series: Lady Sherlock #5
Publication Date: 10/6/20
Number of Pages: 304

I love this series and this book is a wonderful addition to it. I’d like to start by saying that it is my opinion that you need to read this entire series, in order, from beginning to end because Charlotte is a very complex character and her relationships are just as complex – if you don’t read from the beginning you won’t understand her or what drives her. If you start in the middle, you’ll definitely have a different view of
Minx
Jun 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
True Rating 4.5 stars!

I have been dying to get my hands on this book, Murder on Cold Street, because I was very excited to see where things were going with Charlotte and Lord Ingram. Not just because I was interested in a romance, either. The last book, The Art of Theft, was a pivotal book for their relationship both personally and professionally. I was interested to know if Ingram was finally going to accept Charlotte as she was and partner with her in the cases she tends to involve herself in
Lorena
Jul 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
The latest entry in the Lady Sherlock series sees another main character accused of murder...this time, it is Inspector Treadles, who has so recently become reconciled with his wife's work outside the home, but now seems unable to tell her (or anyone else) anything that will help explain what he was doing locked in a room with two murdered men. The mystery is convoluted, and once again Charlotte Holmes marshals her forces to hunt down clues in many directions, but the nicest moments are the char ...more
Eileen
4-4.5 stars

I enjoyed this much more than the previous book. There were at least three separate things going on in this book--the main mystery of what happened with Inspector Treadles, the continued development of Charlotte and Ash's relationship, and Olivia's frustration/depression over what happened with Marbleton. I loved the interactions between Charlotte and Ash in this book as they actually start to move forward from what society expects of them and what they themselves want. The mystery ab
Bright Star
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-of-2020
Murder on Cold Street is the fifth installment in the Lady Sherlock series and it was another incredible story! It was cleverly plotted and this new case hooked me from the first page. My love for Charlotte and all the other characters keeps growing and I'm already impatiently waiting for the next book. I need mooore!
Beau North
Oct 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This series never disappoints. This was a tense installment that took the character development to new highs with wit, humor, and maximum tolerable chins. If I had any qualms it would be that I wanted Livia to be more involved, but I get the feeling that future volumes will do just that! A wonderful read, Sherry Thomas is a master of her craft.
Shelley
Charlotte is going to be a thorn in Moriarty's side from here on out.
Jamie Canaves
A yearly highlight for me is the new release of Lady Sherlock–it’s always a treat and this year was no exception, but felt even more needed in this absolute garbage year. The series premise is that, after Charlotte Holmes blew up her social standing and was cast out, she ended up pairing with Mrs. Watson, taking on cases where she pretends her brother Sherlock is in the next room listening to whoever needs his help for a case while Charlotte helps him as the front of the business. But it is all ...more
Kari Ann Sweeney
Oct 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
AVAILABLE NOW. Thank you Berkley and Netgalley for the free ARC.

𝐀 𝐌𝐔𝐑𝐃𝐄𝐑 𝐎𝐍 𝐂𝐎𝐋𝐃 𝐒𝐓𝐑𝐄𝐄𝐓 is the 5th in the Lady Sherlock series and my favorite to date.. I love mysteries with smart and somewhat unconventional female leads. Charlotte Holmes is all those things and more. I have loved watching her character evolve. This book saw some of her rough edges soften without losing those convictions she holds dear.

These mysteries are carefully plotted with well-crafted dialogue and fantastic characters.
Charlotte CANEVET
Oct 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It was such a good book ! I want the next one immediatly but alas, the pain of us reader is to wait for our favorites authors to write their delightful books.
Lucinda
3 1/2 stars.

Having not read the previous four books in the series, I had some trouble at first discerning the backstory, especially that of Lord Ingram and Charlotte.

Not sure how I feel about Charlotte being Holmes himself, under the ruse of a sickly brother. I grew up watching the series with Jeremy Brett and he'll always be the best Sherlock to me.

As far as the mystery goes, it was well done and it kept me at the edge of my seat. The romance is very secondary and there are great many charact
Lady Wesley
This mystery-with-a-touch-of-romance is almost perfect. Hence, five stars! It would be completely perfect if there had been just a bit more progress in the romance between Charlotte Holmes and Lord Ingram. Having been given a brief glimpse in the previous book, I did long for a bit more here.

Nevertheless, I highly recommend Murder in Cold Street, even though one truly should read the previous four books first.

Sherry Thomas, as I have said before, exhibits her genius in this series, and Kate Rea
Grace W
Oct 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Every single one of these books just gets so much goddamn better. I am literally obsessed with every single side character. I appreciate the way this book does not use the excuse of the time period to be racist or sexist or homophobic and instead imagines women, queer, and POC as complex humans worth of respect and dignity. It's such a good and interesting take on the time and the story of Sherlock. I adore it.

TW for period typical sexism and racism (all of which are challenged)
Disha
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All I'm saying is, whoever isn't reading this book is missing out on some of the most amazingly complex characters, an intriguing plot that keeps you on your toes, with connections to earlier books that will blow your mind and the most swoonworthy romance you'll ever read. This series is going to be the death of me and I really don't know if I can survive waiting for all the books come out.
Marlene
Oct 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Originally published at Reading Reality

Welcome to another captivating AND frustrating entry in the Lady Sherlock series. And I really do mean both parts of that.

The series as a whole, and this particular entry in it, provides a fascinating look at an alternative version of Sherlock Holmes, and I’m always a sucker for a good Holmes pastiche, which this series definitely is.

The alternate Sherlock explored by this series is one where Sherlock Holmes is the entirely fictitious invalid brother of the
Mel
Oct 21, 2020 rated it liked it
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Murder at Queen's Landing (Wrexford & Sloane, #4)
  • A Pretty Deceit (Verity Kent #4)
  • Walk the Wire (Amos Decker #6)
  • Murder in the East End (Kat Holloway Mysteries #4)
  • The Duke Who Didn't (Wedgeford Trials, #1)
  • The Worst Best Man
  • Love Lettering
  • Little Secrets
  • Home Before Dark
  • This is Where I Leave You
  • The Only Woman in the Room
  • Revenge in Rubies (Harriet Gordon Mystery #2)
  • Ghostland: An American History in Haunted Places
  • The Kind Worth Killing
  • The Last Flight
  • Paradise Cove
  • The Lies That Bind
  • La Vérité sur l'affaire Harry Quebert
USA Today-bestselling author Sherry Thomas decided years ago that her goal in life is to write every kind of book she enjoys reading. Thus far she has published romance, fantasy, mystery, young adult, and three books inspired by the martial arts epics she grew up devouring. Her books regularly receive starred reviews and best-of-the-year honors from trade publications, including such outlets as th ...more

Lady Sherlock (5 books)
  • A Study in Scarlet Women (Lady Sherlock, #1)
  • A Conspiracy in Belgravia (Lady Sherlock, #2)
  • The Hollow of Fear (Lady Sherlock, #3)
  • The Art of Theft (Lady Sherlock, #4)