Start by marking “Stay” as Want to Read:

Stay

Dogs always have a way of finding people.

When a tumultuous past causes Alice Gray, the only woman Lou Pearson has ever loved, to leave her for good, she shrinks away from the world, trying to make amends. Dedicating years of her life to training service dogs and saving rescues.

Little did she know, a rescued dog would save her, too.

Caspian shows up in Lou’s life and the dog

Published September 1st 2019

To ask other readers questions about Stay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stay

Start your review of Stay
Luce
3.75 Stars for Stay by Magnolia Robbins. I picked up this book because I loved the cover and it reminded me of a favorite book (Wish Me Home by Kay Bratt).

This is the story of Lou Pearson and Alice Gray. Girlfriends since High School, they thought they would be together forever. They lived together while in college with plans to marry, but they broke up in grad school. Lou had become addicted to pills, initially prescribed for anxiety, but later with self-medicating she became worse. Alice,
Bethany
An enjoyable shorter second chance romance with an ex-addict / dog trainer who runs into the love of her life after 8 years apart. In all honesty, this story was good, but didn't blow me away by any means.

What bothered me most was the severe lack of communication between the mains after 8 years apart spent apart. We know that Alice leaves Lou due to Lou's drug problem, but that's all washed under the table when the see each other again, essentially, just because they reconnect and still love
Elske
Sep 12, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was an okay read. Though it was a sweet story, I didn’t love it as some of the other reviewers. For one thing it was too slow and really nothing much happened not even in the way of the build up of the connection between the main characters who split up 8 years before. There was virtually no communication between the mains about those 8 years apart either. Basically they reconnected because they still loved each other. And why Lou suffered so much from anxiety and what started that was ...more
Kara
Nov 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Stay” caught my attention because of the great cover: a woman and a dog sitting together looking at the horizon. Beautiful!

Unfortunately, the cover is really the most interesting part of this book. The narrator did a decent job, I liked her voice in the role of narrator, but I didn’t really enjoy her voices for either of the MCs.

It wasn’t just the voices of the MCs, I didn’t really warm up to either of them. MC Alice left her high school and college girlfriend MC Lou because Lou was a substance
CLo
This one didn't really click for me

I usually love Robbins's books but this one just didn't work for me. I couldn't seem to connect with the characters although I really did loke Anna and Caspian. Also felt though writtrn well enough it didn't flow as well as some of her other writings and things needed to be flushed out more. Overall, it just wasn't for me but it is a kU book so nothing really wasted on my end. 2.7stars
XR
Jan 22, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
This was good.

I like when authors do homework when they write their books and from having to watch friends and loved ones going through addiction, the pain of it and that last thread of hope before walking away, it was pretty spot on.

I wish there was more on Caspian and Anna though, oh and another rescue dog. Dogs are cool.
F.
Oct 13, 2019 rated it liked it
A break up due to drugs. A reconciliation years later. With plenty of dogs in need of rescuing throughout. If that doesn’t sound very cheerful to you, you’re right.
Best Lesfic Reviews
Sep 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Lou Pearson, a dog trainer, is an ex-addict. She’d set out to become a vet but drugs derailed that goal. Drugs were also the cause of the end of her relationship with Alice Cameron who was a supportive, loving and kind partner till Lou just pushing her too far, too often. Alice walked away from the toxicity of an addict not willing to reform. The loss of Alice is a wake-up call for Lou and she starts attending NA meeting and even finds a sponsor. Years later, Alice re-enters as the mother of a ...more
Aleana Harris
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a good story.

Lou has been struggling with her life when the woman she loves leaves her as she close herself off she decide to train dogs for a living.

When she rescuse a dog name him Caspian it leaves her to a young girl name Anna who turns out to be the daughter of the woman she lost Alice.

I like that it wasn't to much drama that it's really about two people getting a second at love and learning that you can overcome yours struggles if you learn work through them and ask for help.

I
Gina L
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent Story!

I thoroughly liked the ups and downs of this story. The relationship between Lou and Alicia and the lives they were living kept this story moving to its right conclusion. Anna and Caspian added a human touch and kept the story real. New writer for me and now a fan. This a must read!
Maryelen Charnovesky
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Rocky Road to Paradise

Wonderful story about how our lives can become defined by our past mishaps. Stay moves 2 wonderful women from a past that can can still be included in their present and leave them dreaming of a bright future together. Great Romance.
Terrina J Jones
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good read - not your standard romance

Ok, I do like this writer. Looking for Hemingway, Bronte, Harris, Koontz, or Sparks but what she is a a great Lesbian fiction writer. Give this book a try, you’ll like it!!
Julie
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
A sweet second chance romance. I really enjoyed reading about Lou, anxious animal trainer and recovering addict, reconnecting with her first love Alice, a single parent to a young visually impaired daughter. I'm a sucker for complicated and nuanced characters and the author writes them with depth and believability.

The only slight niggle I have is that the elephant in the room wasn't addressed in the way that I felt it should have been. There was no big heart to heart about the reasons they
Nelle
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really lovely second-chance romance. I enjoyed Alice and Lou and their relationship. Also, dogs!
TW: Deals with living in recovery from addiction.
Jude
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Intriguing

I fell in love with Alice first, then Anna. This was a story of soulmates, even though they went through a time apart. Great story!
Rosie
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*Spoilers*.....I love Magnolia Robbins writing style, she always keeps you captivated. I could truly relate to this book. It talks about addiction and what was lost through addiction. Lou has struggles to forgive herself. Her addiction has caused her to lose the one thing that was the most important to her, Love! Fate has given her a chance to right the wrongs of her past. Lou and Alice meet again after there relationship ended abrutply, they get another chance to feel that love again.Fate has a ...more
cathey dejager
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I liked the way you keep the story so real

This has been the a interesting read, it. Was real with the use of depression and anxiety causing problems between two people so in love, I really enjoy a happy ending.
monica.b.czuba
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Stay

Awersome story about a dog found following a rescue of a puppy farm.It's trained as a help dog for he martial sighted and blind. The woman Lou is also a recovering drug addict. Who helps to train them. The dog is the one she has been training for two years.
This is a heartfelt story and well worth reading.
Magnoia Robbins author did a wonderful job writing this,lol forward to reading more by her.
Goodreads customer
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Can you go back?

Lou and Alice had history. Lou was an addict. Alice was the one who walked away. Lou had a sponsor. Alice had an ex and a daughter. Their story looped around a bit but it was quite enjoyable. Read it for yourself. I think you'll enjoy it. I did. I read an Advanced Reader copy of this book and leaving a voluntary review.
marion
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Special

This is an excellent story. Real people trying to have a good life while dealing with life and everything that it can throw at you. I loved all the characters,I love when you want to know them it means they are real to you and for me that is what makes a good story great. Then to top it all you are in dogs. Rescue dogs no less. I cannot recommend this book highly enough.
Mikky
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great read

Loved the story. Made me cry when the Shepard got hit by the car doing what dogs do best. Love books with dogs in then and the author defiantly nail Caspian, very obedient, loyal to a fault until distracted by something he can't resist, in this case a skunk. Very believable. Loved the read. Thank you.
Jo Watkins
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another Beautifully Written Book

Well 6 novels 3 novellas and i haven't read a bad one yet! As with all Maggie's books they're all beautifully written and well crafted with wonderful characters who deal with the realities of life which may not always be good.Well worth 5*
Carolyn
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Second Chance Romance

Addiction and anxiety were demons in Lou’s life. She had lost the only woman she’d ever loved because of them. Now a Guide Dog trainer, Alice was back with her daughter, Anna. Caspian was to be Anna’s guide dog. Could there be a second chance? Recommend
J.R.
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An addict finally faced her greatest fear!

A drug addict who did not want help sent her future wife away and married a man. Ten years later and multiple NA meetings later the former addict gets another scare and the future wife is divorced and determined to stay . Enjoy!
AL
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked the story however some times felt very slow, almost dragging the dialogues to explain further. However I continued reading it and from the middle onwards build up again the excitement so I was pleased.
Leslie J Holbrook
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome read!

I always enjoy reading books written by Magnolia Robbins. Sweet romance with added realism regarding everyday issues. Thanks Ms . Robbins for another story.
Helen
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nice

This is a nice love story. Alice and Lou were partners until Alice left Lou. I personally didn’t think Alice was supportive of Lou. Nice ending.
kay hastilo
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love it

Love the characters in this book. All seem true to life. Would recommend for a good read, can't wait to read another one of Magnolia's books
pam kayser
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good read!

Anything with a dog has my choice at the get go! Great story! Read in one Sutton g, that good
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Heat of Summer
  • Next in Line for Love
  • Sweetest thing
  • Anyone But Her
  • Freeing Her (Irresistibly Bound #4)
  • Chasing Shadows
  • Learning To Swim
  • Keep Holly Close (Remember Me, #2)
  • Lost and Found
Maggie is a bestselling queer romance author from the west coast. When she isn't writing, you'll almost always find a cup of coffee in her hands.