Jump to ratings and reviews

Shades of the City #1

This Will Kill That

District City is full of monsters. Not the kind that appear particularly vile from the outside. The kind who murder innocent people for no apparent reason. Abandoned houses are haunted by wayward spirits. Leaders of rival Colors clash over the secrets of a brutal past.

After the Plague thinned out the population, Rin Morana figured people would have stopped killing each other. No such luck. Her parents disappeared, and now she is set to take over as the new Lady Morana, head of the Green faction. To be a leader, Rin must contend with her relationship to her rival, Lady Amaya, as well as her own history of violence.

A series of riddles take Amaya Verity out of her isolated room in the Blue compound and into the hidden spaces of the City. Running away from captivity, Amaya takes shelter with Rin at the old Sydis house. There she meets two young men with demons of their own to contend with and abilities to match. Alan who is hiding out from his abusive ex, and Kazuki who might be the only person in the City that remembers the events of the Plague.

As they dig deeper, Amaya and Rin must decide whether to fight monsters or become them.

Paperback

First published December 3, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Danielle K. Roux

4 books33 followers
Danielle has been writing fiction since she was nine, after getting tired of reading from the perspective of white, straight male characters in fantasy novels. Her first written story involved a group of middle school girls who find necklaces used by a dead witch that give them supernatural powers. It was written in notebooks in purple and green gel pens that are currently housed in a box in her linen closet. She is inspired by travelling to new places and reading about the stories tied to landscapes. She has at least three novels building in her brain (or wherever novels come from) and wishes she was writing them all right now.
Danielle lives with her wife and two orange cats in the San Francisco Bay Area. She has added a lot of young adult fantasy fiction to her bookshelves recently, and regrets nothing. Her dream library would be accessed through a secret door and look something like the library in the animated Disney Beauty and the Beast, although it would also have a cute barista or sentient coffee machine that once was said barista.
When she isn’t writing or thinking about writing, Danielle is building houses in the Sims, listening to podcasts, or taking Buzzfeed quizzes to find out what kind of tree she is based on her hair color. She has recently been watching lots of old BBC period pieces, and some of them are good. She has begun to drink Diet Coke and is worried this might be a real problem. Coffee and tea are still her primary beverages of choice.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
12 (11%)
1 star
11 (10%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 40 reviews
Profile Image for Skye Kilaen.
Author 14 books291 followers
March 4, 2021
I was lucky enough to beta read this dystopian fantasy about a power struggle between rival factions in a haunted city, but I hadn’t had a chance to crack it back open since it was released in December. I'm a reader who's comfortable sitting with a lot of unknowns and mystery, so I really enjoyed this. The worldbuilding is intriguing and I can't wait to find out more as the series develops. The characters, though, were the highlight. So many queer folks, so many distinct personalities! I love every single one of the main characters, except the villains, who I hate with a passion - as it should be. No idea how Roux juggles such a large cast convincingly but I’m here for it. Can’t wait for the sequel.
Profile Image for Justine.
191 reviews55 followers
December 4, 2019
“The world is built of dualities of mutual destruction.”
“This will kill that…“

The old regime is dying, and revolution is on the horizon. This Will Kill That is Danielle K. Roux’s debut New Adult Science Fiction/Fantasy blend that immediately drew me in, and has left me desperately needing more. This is a tale of a younger generation fighting to undo the sins of those that came before, hoping to make the world a better place for all, regardless of their lots in life. It’s also a beautifully careful examination of the deepest of unlikely friendships, forbidden love, and loyalty, unafraid to cross lines, despite the dangers. As we commence our perilous hunt for the truth, lies and manipulation lurk around each dark, squalid corner of District City, and only a morbid trail of breadcrumbs set by a mysterious friend (or foe?) will lead us to the answers we seek.

Roux does a magnificent job of breathing life into beautifully crafted, easy-to-love characters, each with a defined, distinct voice. The story follows two women, Amaya Verity and Rin Morana, a reserved princess locked in a tower and a snarky, yet dissociated and brutal killer, respectfully. Although they appear to be polar opposites, they’re deeply drawn to each other, and this budding relationship alters the lives of both in profound ways. The supporting cast is incredible, and their need to escape the dire responsibilities forced upon is the key driving force of this entire story. False, exterior veneers begin to crumble, revealing the true nature of these tragically flawed characters as the bonds of friendship are strengthened – and this is something truly exquisite to behold.

The story takes place across the sprawling streets of District City, a dystopian society where violence is used a method of control, and murder and climbing atop a mountain of corpses has become the norm. Abandoned buildings, underground meeting places, and decay define what’s left of this once grand, now plague-ridden metropolis. The setting is so vividly constructed, you can almost feel the grime under your fingernails, and sense the dangers that await in the darkness. The city houses various factions defined by the colors that have been ingrained into their members’ very existence; each manifesting a particular persona, and all fighting for supremacy. The people also possess extraordinary talents – telekinesis, pyrokinesis, empath abilities, and more – a fantastical element successfully used to advance the story in interesting ways.

This is a fast-paced and hard-hitting narrative with a modern flair, ripe with pop culture references and relatable humorous cynicism. A well written, elegantly planned, non-linear plot allows readers to understand the history that has shaped the world, even though we’re dropped into the thick of things directly from the start. We catch glimpses of the past, allowing a deeper character development, which I personally always appreciate. In addition, a simple prose is used to allow connecting with those characters in much more extensive ways. My only bit of criticism would be that several aspects were mentioned or implied, but weren’t fully explained or were troubled by unnecessary meandering. As this is the first novel in the series, I’m hoping future books touch more upon why things are the way they are.

“Everyone alive knows loss and pain, that’s just part of it.”

This Will Kill That is an emotional whirlwind of a story that touches upon some pretty important and sensitive subjects, such as abuse, suicide, and living within a broken world. I thoroughly enjoyed my time in District City, and those cliffhangers (yes, multiple!) have left me in urgent need of the next book. If you’re looking for an action-packed and artistic tale of righting wrongs and the importance of unity, then this is definitely the book you’re looking for, and I highly suggest you give it a read.

Note: Thank you to Danielle K. Roux and The Parliament House for providing me with a complementary copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Jypsy .
1,523 reviews74 followers
February 11, 2020
Thank you Parliament House for an advanced copy. I voluntarily reviewed this book. All opinions expressed are my own.

This Will Kill That
By: Danielle K. Roux

*REVIEW* ☆☆☆☆
I love Parliament House because their books are so different from the typical tropes. This Will Kill That is a good example. In a dystopian future setting, a plague has decimated much of the population. Those remaining are divided into color factions that fight each other. I like the idea of various colors. The characters are diverse and representative of LGBTQt, which is something you don't see all the time. This was a fast unique read with a great premise. I recommend for dystopian fans.
Profile Image for R.J. Sorrento.
Author 4 books36 followers
October 30, 2019
This Will Kill That is a fast-paced adventure featuring a fantastic ensemble of LGBTQ+ characters, fun chapter titles, and a nonlinear story structure that works so well.

The story grabbed me instantly from the shocking first chapter, and the fascinating Rin and Amaya kept me engaged in the story. I also adore Alan and Kazuki, but my love for them could be another post all its own.

The world-building is divine in this post-Plague era where eggs (and chickens) are scarce and people are divided into groups by aura color, rather than race/ethnicity/religion. As dangerous and uncertain as Roux’s world in this book is, I kept wanting to revisit it, beyond curious as to what would happen next.

Which brings me back to the characters. I care deeply about each of them (except for Raith because, well I can’t say- spoilers, although he fascinates me to no end), and I became invested in each of their stories. Rin, Amaya, Alan, and Kazuki are beautifully imperfect and relatable. And I will always have a soft spot for empowered queer characters.

I highly recommend this book to anyone ready to go on a dystopian adventure. I can’t wait for more from Roux.

I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

To read my full review visit my blog: https://www.rjsorrento.com/blog//book...
Profile Image for Permanently_Booked.
756 reviews54 followers
December 3, 2019
I received this ARC from Parliament House Press in exchange for an honest review. This rated a 3.75 for me (I really wish Goodreads had mid-level ratings). This is a dystopian type novel where society is torn apart by a Plague. Those who are left end up with an aura-like Color that becomes almost like a faction. Each Color is out to segregate and/or kill the other. This book is fast paced with what I perceived to be multiple plots occurring simultaneously. The characters are witty and flow well together. There are ghosts, individual powers, LGBTQ, minor sexual situations and violence. You're continually captivated by what each person is trying to accomplish however there were many times I found myself a bit confused. I love a novel that doesn't dwell on repetitive history lessons but I needed more input in this one. There is just enough background information to wet the appetite but not enough to ground the reader in this post plague world. I have no definite clue as to why these characters have powers, what really caused this plague, who some of these side characters are and their significance to the story. I will definitely be looking for the next installment. I grew fond of Rin, Amaya, Kazuki and Alan and look forward to unraveling the clues to all of my current questions.
Profile Image for Michelle.
70 reviews19 followers
December 20, 2019
There is nothing I hate more than a cliffhanger ending, except maybe a poorly written one. Also, while too much world building can be tedious, not enough is just as bad!

*Spoilers* ahead because I am annoyed at having read this and just have to vent about it.

Everyone is a different "color" but it's never explained WTF that means. The plague is never explained. Everything that happened was basically pointless. You find out in the last few pages who was sending the scavenger hunt clues but it makes no sense! If they're chained to a damn wall... how were they hiding notes and shit in walls and on cats collars??? WHY is it significant when someone doesn't have a color? Are they from before the plague? Are they the next generation? Rin's motivations make Absolutely no sense. Either she can feel or she can't. After everything she did, why would she finally run off outside the city, and why alone? Why wouldn't she meet up with the others and they all go? Who did she look up and see? The person they unchained from the wall? I feel like I could write a 300 page list of all the questions I have about this terribly written book. I really think the only reason I got through it was because I want to get to a certain total number of books read on my challenge. 🤦‍♀️

Other people have said it was a good story but it was confusing because it was too fast paced. Nope, the pace isn't the problem, the writing quality is. It was a decent story idea, VERY poorly told. It wasn't confusing because of the pace or the time jumps, it was confusing because absolutely nothing was explained. I do realize this is the first in a series but there is no way in hell I'd waste another second on it. Not worth it at all. It's one thing to have a few cliffhangers to keep your readers interested, it's quite another to half tell a story and just hope people will be desperate enough to get answers that they willing waste more of their time.
I'm sorry there are just so many better written books out there, skip this one.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for John.
27 reviews
January 16, 2020
Hunger Games meets X-Men!!! This is an outstanding YA novel. It has contemporary themes and exciting storyline. I’ve started my year with 2 amazing books! If this is how my reading year is going to be...I can’t wait to see what’s next!!!
Profile Image for Emma Katherine.
271 reviews11 followers
October 26, 2019
Read my full review here: https://lifesanovelty.blogspot.com/20...

Opinions: I have lots of mixed emotions about This Will Kill That. On one hand, it is an exciting, fast-paced, engaging read that I would suggest to all of my teenage readers. On the other hand, there are lots of improvements to be made regarding the writing style and plot. If you were to ask me what the main storyline of this book was, I couldn't tell you confidently. Not only are there multiple plots happening at once, but the story isn't told in an organised, timely manner. Each chapter is told at a different point in time, sometimes present, sometimes five years ago, sometimes two and a half years ago. This untimeliness combined with the plague and the riddles and the murders makes it difficult to understand what is going on. The writing style is also not for me; I always enjoy a mysterious read, or a humorous read, or a powerful and heavy-headed read, but not all at once. I felt like Roux was trying to decide what she wanted the mood of the book to be all the way through, making some climactic scenes funny and others terrifying. There was very little consistency when it came to the style of the story. That said, I still enjoyed reading This Will Kill That and am in no way saying it was not worth the read. This book shows off Roux's writing skills and potential, giving me reason to read her other book.

My Favourite Thing: I see an unbelievable amount of potential in This Will Kill That. Roux is clearly a skilled author and wrote a magical, thematic, engaging story that I will suggest to friends. Just because I didn't love it with all my heart doesn't mean it isn't a great book. I immensely enjoyed the characters, which were all developed, had believable backstories and motives, and had unique traits and powers. The themes were also obvious and well represented throughout the book, including motifs of life, loyalty, and power. I appreciated and enjoyed This Will Kill That as a whole!

My Least Favourite Thing: In a non-religious way, I have always been a fan of religion. The idea that if there is a positive power then there is a negative has always intrigued me, leading me to do extensive research on figures such as Lilith, Aleister Crowley, and Cain and Abel. Roux used Crowley's descendant, Raith, in This Will Kill That as a Lord. This was a very creative and original idea, but I feel like it didn't fit the text. Aleister Crowley is a powerful, authoritative figure that in some ways, deserves respect. Having him be a deceased, past relative that less powerful people talk down to didn't seem like the story Roux was trying to tell. Although I loved the inclusion of Crowley, I feel like it didn't work in this situation.
Profile Image for Kayla.
Author 3 books14 followers
November 29, 2019
I received a copy of this in exchange for an honest review.

This story had it all! Plus it’s also LGBTQ which is even more amazing 😍

The world building was immersive, the characters were intriguing and exciting (Rin was my favourite), and the writing style was just the kind of style I was looking for- fast paced, enjoyable, and easy to get into.

I really enjoyed this novel and I look forward to reading more from this author!

*Will have a review up tomorrow on my Instagram account*
Profile Image for Tattooed Bibliophile.
184 reviews100 followers
January 2, 2020
Four teenagers in a world destroyed. Nobody knows how. Children of factions of aura colors who all want to kill each other. Two females, two males. But the girls are our main interest.

First there's Amaya.

"I'm an illusion, brought up to be a beautiful decorative object in a glass case. Inspiring and admirable. And completely alone. The girl on the pedestal... You know nothing about her, other than she has a good posture and fine dresses. She can become whatever you want her to be, that's the appeal. She's a vessel waiting to be filled. She can be brave, or strong, or meek and mild. The is enchanting...and empty." She shuddered. "But I'm not really like that. I'm not. I'm just as broken as you are. And just as lost."

And then there's Rin.
“We were conquering heroes. We were gods. The thrill of those moments where everything was burning, your lips and your eyes were the color of flames. You were the goddess of death, and I wanted you to destroy me.”

My first impressions of the book were: dystopian, YES! I like all the main characters. Let’s start with a murder, always a good sign. Does that say something about me as a person???

And then: OMG NECROMANCY? Clairvoyance? Oh hell yes.

There were some teenage things.
“Everyone’s trauma is relative. Pain is pain, regardless of how it’s caused.”

And some funny things.
“Best case scenario, they are some bored weirdo who likes to mess with people for kicks. Worst case...they are some bored weirdo who likes to mess with people for kicks, then murder them.”

And some true things.
"Families can be cruel," the man agreed.
"They think they know what's best for me because they made me. As though somehow creating another imperfect monster grants you the ultimate wisdom and powers of the universe. 'Thy kingdom come, thy will be done.'"

And finally the explanation of the title!
"What always got me," he sidestepped a pile of refuse, "was the whole thing seemed to be about duality."
"How so?"
"The sacred and the progane, kindness and cruelty, darkness and light," Crowley rattled off as they made their way down another twist of littered bricks and narrow walls.
"Waffles and pancakes," Rin added. Her mind was still full of breakfast.
“Good and evil,” Crowley continued, ignoring her. “The world is built of dualities of mutial destruction.”
“This will kill that...”

This series has off the charts potential. The idea is original. The characters are funny and relatable. The dialogue is interesting. The gay romance is intriguing and works at just the right pace to be believable. The underlying structure was missing. I got to the end of the book and still did not understand what caused the Greens and Blues and Violets to murder Reds and hate Yellows. And if that is the piece of the puzzle I'm still supposed to be missing, I kind of needed the author to tell me that.

But the mystery seemed to be something else, seemed to be what the colors mean, how they came to be, and what started the apocalypse in the first place. And if I'd come to the end of the book and knew the answer was supposed to be the purpose of the series, I'd be OK with that. But the book didn't come to a conclusion. And ending, yes. But what was the adventure here? What was the story? I'm still not sure.

Even though it breaks my cardinal rule of a book in a series and doesn't have it's own story and conclusion, it cannot stand alone, I still loved this book. Danielle K. Roux is a talented writer. I just needed more underlying structure to the book. It felt like a run-on sentence, all coming out of the author's brain in pieces, as is the writing process! But it needed some better editing to put all the pieces together in a way that makes more sense. This book makes me regret never following my passion to become a book editor, because it's all there! The imagination, the genre, the characters, and the story! It just needed a skilled hand to put the pieces together. If you read many independently published books you'll find that this is pretty common. The part that surprises me here is that a publisher didn't pick it up. Whoever Danielle K. Roux sent this too that turned it down seriously missed out.

I've read some really good LGBTQ books this year, but these two characters really hit me as the least forced match, I loved them together.

“I thought...this person’s hiding. I want to be the one to find her.”

3.5/5, which would be a 4.5/5 except for breaking my cardinal rule. I'll definitely read the next one.
Profile Image for Bella.
250 reviews26 followers
March 3, 2020
Can we just sit here and admire this beautiful cover for a bit?
*cue singing angels*
I was really excited to get my hands on this beauty once I saw it and read the blurb. This Will Kill That is fast paced, set in a dystopian society. A world disturbed by a unknown plague, a world divided by color assigned to people. Violence is seen throughout the book; it's held in high regard. It's the norm around there. I loved Rin and Amaya's relationship. Even though they're both completely different, there's just something that brings them together. The LGBTQ representation is real. They honestly gave me "Girls of Paper and Fire"vibes with their relationship.
Even though I loved the concept of this story, and the development of the characters as well as the telling of their stories. But, I just felt like there was something else missing from the book. I felt the plot was a bit all over the place...if there was any. But, thats just small things the author can fix.
Profile Image for Jaime.
453 reviews26 followers
April 18, 2020
This book is super interesting - it’s full of fantasy, intrigue, supernatural, and romance. I received it in a book subscription box, but if I had seen it at a store instead, I would have purchased it immediately. The cover is absolutely stunning, full of vibrant colors. The story itself is so very unique - society is broken up into color groups. That’s all that can be said without giving spoilers. The characters are all very unique personalities. I wasn’t aware that this was going to be part of a series until I read the very cliffhanger ending and looked it up - thankfully, there is another book, and I can’t wait to read it!
Profile Image for Jenny (Bookbookowl).
559 reviews232 followers
December 10, 2019
Many thanks to the publisher, Parliament House Press, for providing me with an E-ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Unfortunately this book just wasn’t really for me. Although I think the story was fast paced and interesting (which is exactly how I like my books) it was almost too fast paced. I was so confused about what was going on and the backstory of how it all fit together, that I couldn’t quite connect to the characters and narrative. I kept wishing it would all slow down and give me some explanations.
I think told in a different way, without all the time jumps and a slower paced story, I could have really enjoyed this book, but as it stands it just didn’t quite work for me.
Profile Image for Maria Lebron.
60 reviews1 follower
January 25, 2020
After reading this ,I like the storyline is was interesting and different. I enjoy reading a-lot of different books and this one was good , I look forward to reading more from this author.
Profile Image for C. Lewis.
Author 9 books68 followers
January 21, 2020
This was an interesting story. I really liked the idea of people being different colors. The writing was excellent and the world seemed like one I would really like to explore. My major concern was not enough information. The author created an interesting society but I really wanted more! I do still recommend reading it! ❤❤❤
Profile Image for Tori Taylor.
135 reviews2 followers
January 19, 2020
I just read this is less than four hours and I need answers. I was not expecting to get so wrapped up in the story, but here we are!
Profile Image for Laura ( Latteandbookz ).
1,020 reviews8 followers
December 2, 2019
This is the first book that I have read by this author and I did enjoy the book to a point, but I did have some issues with it. I did like how it was a fast-paced book and grabbed my attention right away. On the other hand, I couldn’t tell what the plot of the story was. I felt like it wasn’t told the right way. It was just all jumbled, that’s why I was confused reading it.
Maybe some one else would have a better time reading it, just this one wasn’t for me.
Profile Image for Dana.
941 reviews70 followers
November 25, 2019
I received an ARC from Parliament Press for an honest review. This story is set in a really complex world with deeply developed, modern characters. The morals and ethics the characters face trying to understand and control the politics of their world drive the story. I’ll admit there were times I wasn’t quite sure what was happening because of the time shifts and paranormal aspects but it all came together with quite the ending. It was refreshing to see modern LGBTQI characters well represented without their struggle for acceptance driving the story.
Profile Image for Energy (Rae's Reading).
1,422 reviews33 followers
November 14, 2019
With the death of her parents, Rin wants to see change in the world, she wants to see people stop killing each other based on their Color. Amaya has been raised in isolation, getting daily shots at the hands of her father. When she's finally had enough, she realizes those shots were more than just keeping her safe, and an entirely new world of abilities opens up for her.

This Will Kill That is a YA dystopian adventure that sorts people by Colors, and certain Colors are superior to others. With a varied and inclusive cast of characters, this fast-paced adventure has a bit to like for everyone. The characters are wonderful, they are detailed and have imaginative abilities in this new world of District City. Alan and Kazuki are wonderful supporting characters and I'm looking forward to seeing how they develop their talents along with Amaya.

This book is the first in the series, so there are unanswered questions that still need to be addressed. Primarily, what is up with the chickens? The plot has multiple things are happening at once and they don't tend to flow in a straight line. So if you think of it along the lines of quantum physics, in that time is not linear, then you find yourself okay with the non-linear plot. I think the writing is good but that the book could be a bit refined and polished. I'm looking forward to seeing the evolution of the writing, and to see what is in store for our 4-some in future books. Overall, a fun and fast-paced read, well done.
November 21, 2019
This was a good book, a bit confusing at times but it straightens itself out in the end. I will read the rest of the series.
Profile Image for S. Sollay.
11 reviews
December 19, 2019
The writing and concept were interesting for sure, but I was confused for a lot of the story. I might read book two.
Profile Image for R.J. Garcia.
Author 8 books327 followers
October 22, 2019
This Will Kill That is a stylish, layered and fast-paced read. After the plague, what is left of humanity is broken into feuding factions, sorted by color. Hostile regimes clash over violent pasts. Haunted houses and characters like Rin and Amaya make this an even more interesting story. I really liked the way each chapter was another piece of the puzzle. Even the chapter titles rocked.
Profile Image for Kara Fullmer.
414 reviews
January 12, 2020
Wow,
first 1 star review ive given in a long time. i really dont like giving 1 star reviews, so you know how much i really disliked this book.
First of all i got this book in my Beacon Book box (a monthly book box) and im obsessed with the changes they did on the cover and especially the naked cover. The premise sounds promising, and i wasnt really sure what to expect when reading this. Its a dystopian novel, and its honestly not a genre i read often any more.
What did i like about this book? I was intrigued with the idea of the plague, and our 3/4 main characters go on a scavenger hunt to find out more about this plague. the problem i have with this as a main plot point for over half our main characters is that they never really find anything. they spend the majority of the book looking and all they find is a few pictures, and at the very end of the book they find the person who sent them on the scavenger hunt, but they dont even have a conversation with them! the book ends there, right as they find them! so really, what was the point of their whole plot line?
Then the 4/4 main character is trying to gain the loyalty of her 'faction' to start ruling them after her parents die mysteriously. So all of her plot drive is a lot of political kiss ass. not that exciting. the book is told through diffrent time lines (ill get to that) but for her i did like the fact that you find out she is basically a hired assassin for her 'faction' and honestly i feel like i would have liked this book a lot more if she was still that? but i was sooooo bored with her pov.
I almost DNFd this book multiple times (at least 3), but i kept reading it hoping literally any of the plot lines would go somewhere and we would actually learn something. The only thing we learn is people have powers, but its not based on what color you are or anything, and no one actually has any idea how to use their powers, or what powers people even have! Like this world has amazing powers but again literally no information about it!
The world building felt sloppy at best, and the the time lines/jumps and the pov changes felt completely disjointed and difficult to follow. i had a very hard time keeping track of what pov we were in, what timeline and what was even really happening.
Would NOT recommend.

Profile Image for Evy.
58 reviews16 followers
January 20, 2020
I thought this book was awesome and unlike anything I’ve ever read before! I found the characters to be charming, quite lovable and full of personality and witty humor. The first thing I began to love about this book was the characters. Their dark, morbid senses of humor made me feel right at home. Their character development over the course of the novel was really fun to follow along with as well.

I also really enjoyed the representation in this one. Of our four main characters, all of them seem to lie on the LGBTQ spectrum somewhere and are described as being quite ethnically diverse without race or sexuality being touched upon much at all. I enjoyed that.

SPOILER-FREE SUMMARY
This book follows the four young misfits Rin, Amaya, Alan and Kazuki as they navigate their lives in this dangerous, murder-ridden dystopian world dictated by Colored factions. Rin is set to become the Green Faction’s newest leader after the mysterious death of her parents. Amaya will one day inherit the Blue Faction from her father; her faction and Rin’s are rivals, which could lead to big problems for their relationship. All the while, Rin’s friends Alan and Kazuki get to know Amaya as the trio follow a trail of clues that Rin began following from the dark web. This group will face dark times, danger, ghosts, monsters, and will ultimately have to decide whether or not to become monsters themselves.

My main complaint is that I did not enjoy the spacing of scenes or the time jumps that much. However, that is a personal preference. I just hate waiting for a scene to finish, especially if it’s broken up with multiple chapters between it. But if that is your jam, you will love this. Otherwise, I highly recommend this to lovers of YA Fantasies and Dystopias! Aside from the time jumps I loved everything about this book. It was such a worthwhile read and I’m so glad I joined in on the #beaconbookboxclub on Instagram for this book! I will definitely be keeping up with this series.
Profile Image for Piper.
177 reviews3 followers
February 27, 2020
I couldn’t put this book down. The thought of the different colors living in a post-apocalyptic world is definitely intoxicating. The characters in this book were what made t story wonderful, they were hilarious and smart, and I found myself falling in love with the friendships they made.

However, the world building just did not do it for me. I struggled to know where they were located half the time.

Everything happened so easily. ‘Oh, I wonder where this note could lead? Of courses it’s in this perfectly feasible location under the table.’

The powers were also very confusing. Does everyone have powers, and can they all do everything?

The storyline was hard to follow. I still don’t know what’s happening.

REGARDLESS of these things, I still enjoyed this book, just was peeved by these things.
Profile Image for Ellen.
155 reviews3 followers
September 28, 2020
In a dystopian future where you live in factions ruled by color, Rin and Amaya dream of a different life for themselves. Each with their own powers that develop through the book, these two and their friends, try to use their smarts and powers to find riddles and maybe stop all the genocide that began after the Plague.
While parts of this book confused me, I think part of it is because it is so fast-paced and there are MANY twists and reveals, and partly because this was given to me as an arc. I plan on not only purchasing this book to re-read the finished masterpiece, but also am going to be buying the second as soon as I have disposable income again and the third when it comes out!!!
The cliffhanger will kill you just FYI so you may as well buy the second book while you're at it buying the first... XD
Profile Image for Nessa.
499 reviews2 followers
October 16, 2020
This book was so intense! It gave me some serious underbelly crime/ mafia vibes. There was a lot happening in the short time period covered in the book so the plot never lags. The scavenger hunt arc was a great way to keep the plot moving while adding some mystery and making the reader constantly wonder what will happen next. I loved the characters because they were all so relatable and everyone can find a little bit of themselves in them. I especially loved the romance between Alan and Kazuki because they are so precious and reminded me of Dmitri and Alexei’s romance in ‘August Prather is Not Dead Yet’. The ending of this book was a great cliffhanger and I’m so glad I got to read the next book almost right away because I would not be able to handle the suspense! There are also some TW regarding attempted suicide and self harm so just be aware of that.
Profile Image for Jessica.
261 reviews6 followers
Read
December 21, 2019
*I was sent a copy of this book by the publisher in exchange for my honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own*

DNF @ 40%

This book has a lot of things going for it. It's very fast paced, it has LGBTQ+ representation, and it's a very easy read. Unfortunately, I just could not get into this one. I did not care about much of what was happening and what would be happening farther into the book. It's not that the book is bad, but I think it just isn't the right book for me.

If you are looking for a new dystopian book that's a quick and easy read, and has some LGBTQ+ representation, then I would definitely say to give this one a shot. I may try this one again in the future, but as of right now I just don't think I'm the right reader for this one.
Profile Image for Ricki_Reads.
46 reviews
January 14, 2020
Overall I'd give this book a 3 star rating for sheer intrigue alone. While I enjoyed the book, I felt like the plot, environment, and characters were slightly two dimensional and lacked true depth. However, due to the writing style and time frame covered in this book (roughly 3 days), I think that lack was somewhat intentional. Absolutely, this was one of the most unique reads in a long time.

In a dystopia post-plague Washington DC, different factions based on color live despite one and other. Amaya is the secluded, drugged daughter of the Blue leader. Rin is the assassin trained daughter of the recently deceased Green leaders, trying to gain support to take the mantel for herself.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 40 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.