Start by marking “Nobody Knows but You” as Want to Read:

Nobody Knows but You

Maybe a killer only looks like a killer in the moment just before, during, or after.

Maybe a liar, a good one, never shows it.

Kayla is still holding on to Lainie’s secrets.

After all, Lainie is Kayla’s best friend. And despite Lainie’s painful obsession with her on-again, off-again boyfriend, and the ways he has tried to come between them, friends don’t spill each other’s se
Published September 8th 2020 by HarperCollins/Quill Tree

To ask other readers questions about Nobody Knows but You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nobody Knows but You

Start your review of Nobody Knows but You
Chelsea Humphrey
Aug 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 STARS rounded to 4

Perhaps not the most original of YA thrillers, but a highly enjoyable read nonetheless. Unreliable narrators have become all the rage over the past decade, and their use in suspense novels ranges from "Hah! This is whodunnit!" to "This person is hiding secrets and has manipulated the narrative to their own benefit." I won't tell you which one this book falls under, but I will say that I enjoyed being back at summer camp and reliving the nostalgia of some of the milder thema
Carrie
Sep 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Review coming soon.
Natalie M
Sep 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime, mystery
2.5 stars for a predictable YA drama.

All the core ingredients for a YA: summer camp, a teen death, toxic friendships, best-friends-forever notions, the boyfriend drama, some obsessions and loads of secrets.

Told through a series of diary-like entities told by Kayla this is a single character POV. The central plot revolves around Lainie and Kayla’s friendship and the secrets being kept.

Although this is compared to ‘One of Us is Lying’ and ‘We Were Liars’ it does not come close in my view. Predicta
Katie
Sep 27, 2020 added it
Shelves: dnf
Dnf 44% - do not care
Sep 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Nobody knows but you is a short YA Mystery/Thriller following Kayla, a teenager after her best-friend Lainie murdered the boy she was with during camp. The two girls were close and Lainie was Kayla's only friend. So when a boy tries to come between them, she's not very happy about it but Lainie is obsessed with him and so she lets it go no matter how off he seem to be or how he seem less interested in Lainie than she is with him. Oh and also, he does have a girlfriend outside of camp and he's ch ...more
✫erin✫
Sep 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
wow wow wow wow wow. I just finished this and BOLTED over to my computer to write this review. I am SHOCKED. I am CONFUSED. I am in AWE. I am DISGUSTED. THIS BOOK WAS INSANE!

There is no better word to use to describe it. The entire book leading up to the ending is already incredible. When I tell you I sat down and read this book in two hours. I SAT DOWN AND READ THIS BOOK IN TWO HOURS. I could NOT STOP. And THAT ENDING. Nothing in the entire world will prepare you for what's to come.

This book
Anica
Sep 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Hi! I wrote this book and had a lot of fun doing it. When I started the first draft, I knew only a few things about it. I knew the book would involve a brief but life-changing friendship—a deep, intense bond formed across a single summer. (Complex and essential friendships are my jam; I will write about them forever.) I knew the story of that friendship, and the secrets held within it, would be told in the form of letters written by one friend to the other after their summer was over. I knew the ...more
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
Kayla writes letters to her best friend from camp, Lainie, after a murder on the last night of their summer. Readers don’t know whether Lainie or her summer boyfriend Jackson is the victim or alleged perp. Told through Kayla’s letters, news reports, trial testimony and statements from campers and counselors the story of what happened to the victim unfolds to a surprising conclusion.

Although I guessed the perp from the first page, I was glued to NOBODY KNOWS BUT YOU from start to finish. More YA
Amy
Jul 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Many thanks to EdelweissPlus and the publisher for providing me a DRC of this title for review. All opinions are my own.

This was a twisty, unreliable narrator-fueled thriller that I think YA readers will really enjoy. The mixed media format (interviews, letters, articles, depositions, texts) all lend themselves to the atmosphere of unease as the reader realizes the information being given is most likely skewed in some way, but you aren't sure what exactly is wrong with the picture.

Lanie is on tr
Jen Ryland
Sep 06, 2020 marked it as setting-aside-for-now
I was excited about this but didn't know it was epistolary and I really struggle with books told entirely in letters, etc. They just feel flat to me and I can't get past that.

Setting aside, but if you're good with this format, don't let my lack of enthusiasm stop you!

Read more of my reviews on JenRyland.com! Let's be friends on Bookstagram!
Demetra
Sep 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book from the publisher for an honest review . NOBODY KNOWS BUT YOU by the fantastic Anica Mrose Rissi is a twisty, psychological thriller full of letters, texts, newspaper articles, court transcripts. It's an incredible view into summer camp friendship with pitch-perfect dialogue. I stayed up late, tearing through this story of murder because I just had to know how it all played out, and you will too!! Highly recommended!
여리고
Apr 15, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: owned, 2020-releases
Ugh why haven't I heard of this before? Where was I when this was being marketed?
Missnöjd Konfirmand
Sep 17, 2020 rated it it was ok
Meh..
Julie Anna
Sep 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, mystery, arcs, essays
⭐⭐⭐.25

Thank you to HarperCollins and Epic Reads Insiders for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Nobody Knows But You is a YA mystery about the events leading up to a murder at a summer camp. The book follows Kayla and her recollections of what happened at camp, becoming best friends with Lainie, and how Lainie became the prime suspect to the murder of her on-and-off boyfriend, Jackson. Kayla recounts everything that happened, and shares in the seri
Gillian French
Aug 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to get an advance copy of NOBODY KNOWS BUT YOU, and it completely blew me away! If you like twisty psychological thrillers, intense summer camp insta-friendship, obsessive love, pitch-perfect dialogue, and inventive plot structure, this baby is for you. I tore right through Kayla’s tale of the murder which brought her stay at Camp Cavanick to such an explosive close, all told through a series of letters, texts, court transcripts, and newspaper articles. Highly recommended for ...more
Hayley
Jun 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Kayla meets Lainie at the start of Camp Cavanick’s 8 week session. She had been reluctant to go, preferring to stay at home and sleep and read, but the two 16 years old bond instantly. Kayla has never been friends with anyone like Lainie before: a charming, funny rulebreaker and Kayla feels she transforms once she’s Lainie’s best friend.

They are an inseparable club of two and the author expertly creates that feeling you get when you meet a soulmate - someone you know you’ll be friends with forev
Erin Downing
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Twisty, gripping, and SO well-written. This was a one-day read for me! Loved.
Natalie
Aug 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Summer camp. Something many people have experienced. I never did a sleepaway camp. This is a YA novel about sleepaway camp. Two girls (Kayla & Lainie) become beat friends in the first week of camp. Their friendship blossoms until one of them meets a boy. The dynamic changes and puts strain on the friendship.

The book is written from the point of view of Kayla. She's an unreliable teenaged narrator. She writes letters to her camp BFF, Lainie, that never get sent. She's not allowed contact with an
Kelly
Despite kind of suspecting what was going on early on, I really enjoyed this twisty psychological thriller about two girls who were best friends at summer camp and how one of them ends up on trial for the murder of her boyfriend. It's told through letters, texts, court documents, and newspaper articles, and at under 300 pages, it moves briskly. Loved the setting and how everything played out and how cleverly the author inserted enough clues that the reveal makes perfect sense.

(view spoiler)
Christy
Sep 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
The unreliable narrator taken up a notch by an epistolary format. I thought I knew what was up several times through the story only to be taken by surprise. Enjoyable and perfect choice for spooky season!
Dark Heart Books
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
Actual rating: 1.8/5
Well, this was quite boring when all is said and done.
I'm really glad that it wasn't a long book because honestly, I was quite bored after about 50 pages.

If you've never, ever read a YA thriller before then you MIGHT be surprised by the 'twist'. But if you've read a couple you'll see this coming from a mile off. And then you just have to wait until the book finishes and slog through it.

It's a very 'by-the-numbers' thriller that I personally felt had no charm or personality.
Alexia
Aug 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book y’all. I had no idea where it was going towards the end, so I was completely shook. I was making a lot of guesses of what would happen, and then halfway in I made a tentative guess, but I was like nah couldn’t be. Oh it was. I so want to know how the author got into the frame of mind to write this because I’m amazed and scared at what I just read.

I loved the format of this book oh so much. It was told in letters Kayla addressed to Lainie, interview statements, and news reports. This is
Anagha A
Sep 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommended to Anagha by: Epicreads
Shelves: young-adult, mystery
This was a 2020 release and I was really expecting it to be a fast-paced thriller. I want to write a good review, but sadly, I can't. I'm not saying this book wasn't good, but it's not as enjoyable as I thought it would be.
The premise, the title and the synopsis sounded really cool, but I was disappointed by this book.

Kayla and Lainie have been friends from day 1 on Camp Cavanick. They were like two peas in a pod, until Jackson came along. He became Lainie's on-and -off boyfriend, until one da
Apr 22, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc
I received an arc from edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Nobody knows but you is a book about a summer camp gone wrong. The last day of camp someone is murdered. Lainie is on trial for it. She’s the first suspect right? Jealous of his girlfriend and talked about killing him. Kayla is keeping all of Lainie’s secrets and some of her own. But why would Lainie have done it?

I was not impressed by this book.
The characters were flat, annoying, whiny and unreal to me (is this really how thin
Amy
Sep 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Bex
Sep 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: autumn20, temporary
Nobody Knows But You takes place in the aftermath of a death: one that could have been an accident, but could have been a murder. Mostly told through letters, the main voice of the story is Kayla's: the 'third wheel' in the events that took place over one summer.

This book was originally described to me as being told through a number of different formats and medias, something that I really liked the idea of. Ultimately, however, it was largely letters, with some news articles and 'interviews', al
Starr ❇✌❇
I received an ARC from Edelweiss
TW: cheating
3.3

Summer camp was something to dread- before Kayla found an instant best friend in Lainie. But now, only a few months later, a death has rocked Kayla's world, and taken away that friendship. While Kayla tries to sort through what happened that summer, and what is real and what is not, she must decide who is guilty.

I was excited for this book because it seemed like a quick read (it took me about an hour and half or so) and a compelling one. A murde
Sara Hollingsworth
Another deeply weird short book. This book takes a decidedly weird journey. It's told through interviews, newspapers, and undelivered letters from Kayla to her friend Lainie. You get both the story of what happened as well what is currently happening in the present.

There were elements that I liked. Some of the discussion on how crime is judged these days on the internet and through the public mob over actual evidence and is usually tried and convicted in the media long before a jury hears it, an
Jackie
Sep 21, 2020 rated it liked it
If you’re a big fan of Taylor Swift’s folklore buckle up because the story of August, Betty and the mystery woman here ends with someone’s death.

“Nobody Knows but You” tells the tragic story of Kayla and her best friend from Lainie as they went from fast friends to testifying at the others murder trial after a summer built on love, laughter and a body in the lake.

This was a complicated story because on one hand I really enjoyed the mystery and the overall arch of the characters as we watched t
Anna
Oct 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Written as a collection of diary-like letters not sent by one survivor of the summer camp tragedy interspersed with news reports, online comments, and courtroom transcripts. The events of the summer are revealed gradually by Kayla in unsent letters to her best friend from camp, the charismatic and tall-tale-spinning Lainie. The two met at summer camp and socially awkward Kayla quickly became intensely devoted to Lainie - I almost stopped reading early on because Kayla's extremely melodramatic, s ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• These Vengeful Hearts
  • All Eyes on Her
  • Something Happened to Ali Greenleaf (Something Happened to Ali Greenleaf, #1)
  • I Hope You're Listening
  • One to Watch
  • Early Departures
  • Now That I've Found You
  • The End of October
Writer, storyteller, editrix. Author of the Anna, Banana chapter-book series; the picture books Watch Out for Wolf!, The Teacher's Pet, and Love, Sophia on the Moon; the middle-grade collection Hide and Don't Seek; and the YA novels Always Forever Maybe and Nobody Knows but You. Fan of dogs and ice cream.

Anica Mrose Rissi grew up on an island off the coast of Maine, where she read a lot of books a

News & Interviews