Start by marking “A Widow's Tale” as Want to Read:
A Widow's Tale

A Widow's Tale

A trained killer. One kill list. A world of hurt.

In this novel author Frances Paul introduces a complex and driven young lady determined to uncover the truth surrounding the murders of her parents and to bring to justice the people responsible for the cruel act.

Karina Navarre, a Cuban national lived a life that would be described as anything but easy. After witnessing the
Published January 21st 2020 by EllenMark Press

Start your review of A Widow's Tale
Erin
Jan 07, 2020 marked it as to-read
Giveaway Win!
Joy Perry
Apr 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Thanks so much to #NetGalley and EllenMark publications for an advanced review copy of this book prior to publication!

I enjoyed this story, I really did. The book was about Karina Navarre. It opens with her at ten years old watching her parents get brutally killed. Her parents, Carlos and Gloria Navarre are the head of the Navarre cartel. (She was hidden under the couch, where her mother told her to go.) After this tragedy she's raised by Savio, her father's best friend. He sends her away at 16
Susan (The Book Bag)
First of all, I just have to mention this cover. Isn't it intriguing? It sure captured my attention.

And then there was the first chapter. Wow! That sure grabbed my attention too. What a way to start off a story.

Karina is only ten years old when she silently watches as her parents are killed right in front of her. The bad men left her alive..... which was a big mistake on their part. Revenge is what drives this little girl her entire life.

I have to admit that this type of book is not my usual
Sophie Ruthven
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a new to me author.
You really have to concentrate with this book.
Took me awhile to get into, especially when the writing style was almost clinical.
Enjoyed the middle of it though when she grudgingly joint forces.
The ending leaves you feeling bereft and wondering what happens next.
Not your typical romance.
Was really disappointed that I didn't enjoy the book more than I did, especially with such an amazing blurb.
Heather W
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
A Widow's Tale is an intriguing thriller about a female assassin whose grief and training lead her to a world of vengeance.

I found this book to be an interesting, fast-paced read with well-developed characters and a storyline that is well written and intriguing. This story has graphic violence, death, love, suspense, twists and turns, and drama.

I read and reviewed this book with no obligation.
Stephanie Jane
See more of my book reviews on my blog, Literary Flits

I'm really undecided how I feel about A Widow's Tale by Frances Paul. It's admittedly not my usual reading genre so my reactions might result from leaving my comfort zone. However, while certain scenes had me gripped, I also nearly DNFd this novel twice. Aspects I particularly enjoyed were when we got to see our heroine, Karina, in action. She's a kick-ass assassin and the head of an Argentinean drug dealing family - neither of which are the
Romaine Heart
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
RH*See full review of Beyond the Covers blog here on Goodreads and check us out on Facebook
Sharon
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-booksprout
This is the second book I have read by the author and I am at a loss for words. I will caution those with triggers to read the description carefully.
“The king may rule the kingdom, but it’s the queen who moves the board.”
Karina grew up in a world that took her parents too soon and she made it her mission to avenge their deaths. At the tender age of sixteen, she was sent away from her adoptive family to learn all that she would need to know to enact her plan for retribution. Living and learning
Kayla Barnes
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was spectacular! I enjoyed it from the very first page to the last! I cannot wait for more to come from Frances Paul!
Jennifer Pierson
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The awe that I feel for the brilliant Frances Paul's stories just keeps on growing. A Widow's Tale was straight up EPIC! It's the story of Karina, who witnessed the death of her parents, and led to her having her own kill list by 16 years old. Now I know that it's probably extreme, and yet, I can't help respect her list to be honest. It probably makes me insane, but it is what it is at the end of the day. Anyway, at 16, she pulled off something crazy, leading to her being sent away for some more ...more
Beyond The Covers Blog
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romaine
Wow! Reading Widow's Tales I could  visualize the scenes. Like a movie!

After witnessing the death of her parents,  as a young child, in the hands of her Uncle Tomas, Karina's world was filled with hate and revenge. She has a kill list.

At sixteen she did the unthinkable which forced her adopted father to send her away for training. Sasha would become her mentor and confidant for the next eight years.

When tragedy strikes home Karina is forced to take her birthright to lead the Navarre's organisati
Kristina Simkins
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I loved this book. It’s a phenomenally written thriller with outstanding characters and an extraordinary storyline. I was engrossed in this action packed page turner from the very first chapter. Karina and the rest of the characters kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time in this mind blowing story full of betrayal, secrets, lies, deceit, leverage, loyalty, family, friends, love and so much more.

Life as she knew it was ripped away from her when she was 10 - every step she takes afte
Kristi
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
WOW! A gripping page turner that you find hard to put down. The author has written the story so well it captivates you from start to finish. Karina has a mission to find those who killed her parents and make them pay. An emotional roller coaster of a story at times as she deals with loss, tragedy, and grief and seeks revenge.

Wendy Livingstone
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a complex and well written tale which is an emotional roller coaster journey, as well as heart-breaking, thrilling, unpredictable, action packed, and dealing with loss, grief, revenge, and with twists which all had me intrigued and hooked throughout. I recommend for all.
Becky Ballenger
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Frances Paul rocked my world!!! This book grabbed me from the very beginning and didn’t let go until the end!!! Kudos, Frances Paul, this book is a brilliant portrayal of what an amazing author you are!!!!!
Shirley Dansoa B
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is an emotional roller coaster to say the least. I was surprised at how it ended !! I recommend this book to all .The author did a bang up job with the twists and turns and unexpected ending .
Shaye
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star
4 1/2 stars. I won this book with the giveaway. I thoroughly enjoyed everything about this book. The ending through me—but I knew it had to be done. Recommend this thriller/romance!
Patricia
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was a different genre from what I normally read. I`m glad I read it. It is fast-paced and well written. The violence is graphic. The author immerses you with great detail and graphics that feed your imagination. I especially liked that the main character was a female assassin and you see this story through her perspective.
I won this book through a Good Reads giveaway.
Christine Woinich
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
This story had its ups and downs. Karina was a driven woman and became the best in a man's world. She was ruthless and smart. Her heartbreak at losing her parents was the driving force behind all she did. There were times when I felt that the story was too drawn out and other moments when I kept turning pages to see what was next. It is a gritty tale with a lot of violence, yet scenes of tenderness.

I received a copy of this story through Enticing Journey Book Promotions, and this is my unsolicit
Amber Stewart
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
Such a well-written book! It was so exciting to read, it was hard to stop reading. I kept wondering what was next!
Ashley Moore
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
This was a very interesting and entertaining book. This book just grabs your attention and keeps it throughout the book. It starts of fast, at the very beginning of the story, and keeps you reading to find out what happens. You can picture everything taking place as you read, which adds to the experience.
Shae
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Boss - Karina!!

Action from chapter one, right through to the end! Frances Paul, you are a rock star!! I absolutely fell for this story.

Karina saw her parents killed at a very young age and she made a vow to seek revenge on any person involved. This vow has ruled her life and made her a success in her male-dominated career and her life.

Looking for more Frances Paul books to read now.

Reasons I enjoyed this book:

Action-packed, Entertaining, Page-turner, Unpredictable

Ashley Guerrero
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book captivated me from beginning to end. It would make a great movie or television series. Karina and her need for revenge trumps everything. I could not believe the ending! Love this book!
ElizrdbthSpeaks
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
new to this author, great cover. it's in KU. it has been out since January 2020. i love mystery reads. well thought out. great characters. had me curious. i hope more will read it ... i was surprised. shocked at times, no secrets revealed i want u 2 be curious and excited to check it out!! go on ... ...more
Cozy Cat Reviews
Feb 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Warning Graphic Violence: Thank you to the publisher and to Net Galley for the ARC. My review opinion is my own. With the exception of the graphic violence which I skipped over, this is a strong thriller with a theme of vengeance and revenge. The plot is driven by the main charcters revenge over the killing of her family and she develops into a top assassin over the years. I loved her charcter development and the well crafted story. This is a page turner that will keep you up into the night..
Live, Laugh, Love
Feb 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
This story was addicting. It kept me on edge and flying though the pages! I felt a lot of emotions throughout this story. Even shed a few tears.
Kristin Howell
Jan 19, 2020 rated it liked it
[I recieved a copy from the author]

A good story and plot, but some grammatical/punctuation errors that at times detracted me from the story, especially when trying to keep up with who was saying what during conversations. Overall, though, not a bad read. Not the kind of story I'd typically gravitate towards and I didn't really connect deeply with any of the characters, but I still enjoyed it. Drug wars, murder, revenge. A long, descriptive story with some twists I bet you wont see coming. Worth
Ann
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow. What an introduction to a talented author. Already on my list to read more of her books. The plot and character development are original and intriguing; a challenge for this genre of story. I read every day that I can and find fewer books where I am lost in the captivating story. I do not care for “message” or “opinions formed for me” books, and this book tried to do neither. I will leave descriptions of the actual plot for readers to discover as they explore - I dont see anything in the st ...more
Pages Filled BR Amber Anthony
Revenge: (v)
1: to avenge (oneself or another) usually by retaliating in kind or degree
2: to inflict injury in return for

What lengths will one go to in order to avenge the ones that she holds near to her heart? The answer is determined only by each individual. In Karina's case, the lengths are limitless. She's a trained assassin and has a list to check off to make right the cold blooded murders of her parents. When tragedy strikes again she lets her emotions take control which leads her through m
Deb Ristow
Jan 21, 2020 rated it liked it
I received this kindle edition of A Widow's Tale as part of the Goodreads Giveaway program. When Karina Navarre witness's the murder of her parents at the young age of 11, her life changes forever. When she is mentored by a former KGB officer, she works to regain back her life and vows revenge when her husband is subsequently murdered. This is the story of revenge- to avenge the death of her parents and the death of her husband with high stakes from two criminal families fighting for power in a ...more

• Devious Lies (Cruel Crown, #1)
  • Believe Me
  • Andorra Sector (X-Clan #1)
  • Stolen Choices (Glacial Blood #6)
  • A Lie for a Lie (All In, #1)
  • Craft (The Gibson Boys, #2)
  • Corrupt (Devil's Night, #1)
  • Insatiable (Cloverleigh Farms, #3)
  • Pucked Love (Pucked, #6)
  • The Son (Divergent, #0.3)
  • Yours: A Virgin Romance
  • Sweat (Sweetbriar Lake, #1)
  • Handling Haven (Deimos #1)
  • Cabin 2 (Steele Shadows Security #2)
  • Uncle Vanya
  • Pucked Off (Pucked, #5)
  • Stealing His Sister
  • The Guest
Born and raised in Accra, Ghana and now living in Cincinnati, Ohio. A banker, wife and mother of two amazing kids. She finds writing to be a great passion of hers and a path she was born to follow. She began by writing short stories at a young age. Now, she has four published books and working on a few more projects. She’s a crazy tea lover, loves to travel, eat, and enjoys learning about differen ...more

News & Interviews