Start by marking “Avaline Saddlebags (DI Dylan Monroe Investigates #1)” as Want to Read:
Avaline Saddlebags (DI Dylan Monroe Investigates #1)

Avaline Saddlebags

(DI Dylan Monroe Investigates #1)

Following the brutal murders of Jade Kelly and Gina Elliot, newly promoted DI Dylan Monroe is assigned to work the case, alongside DS Layla Monahan.

As the body count rapidly rises—each slaying more savage than the last—it soon becomes clear the butchered and mutilated victims have one thing in common—they are all male to female transsexuals.

With time against them, Dylan
Published September 2nd 2019 by Junction Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Avaline Saddlebags, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Avaline Saddlebags

Start your review of Avaline Saddlebags (DI Dylan Monroe Investigates #1)
Kathi Defranc
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic story with some great new characters I totally love!! DI Dylan Monroe has recently been promoted, over some who believe the job should have been theirs! There have been horrific murders of transgender folks in their area, and Dylan is determined to lead the way to capture the killer. Assigned a new partner due to his long term partner being on maternity leave, he must work with a team short several officers and keep them on task, as the killer leaves no signs behind to find who it is!
Linda Strong
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019

Male-to-female transgenders are being targeted by a serial killer. Each murder is more brutal, more savage than the one before ... and the body count is rising.

Newly promoted DI Dylan Monroe and his temporary partner, DS Layla Monahan have been charged with solving these crimes... pronto.

Monroe finds himself in the position of going undercover to audition as a drag queen in a well-known cabaret bar where the victims were known to visit. Will he be able to find the killer ... or will he be the ne
Shalini
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have read some books… OK I have read many, many books; most have been thrillers and police investigation. But nothing prepared me for this.

And I really mean it, no other book with grisly murders and vengeance and revenge made me laugh as much as this did. All in a good way. The author has weaved humor into a murder investigation in such a way that it uplifts the book completely. You have to read it to believe it. It is simply amazing.

Dylan had just been promoted to DI, and then came his first
Lou
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Avaline Saddlebags is unlike anything I have ever read before in the crime genre, and that's saying something given I read over 1,000 crime books per year. Bodies are piling up left, right and centre with each scene more brutal than the last. DI Dylan Monroe is called in to run the investigation and finds the major link in this complex case - all of those who were so savagely slain were transsexuals. He soon realises he must work undercover at a local drag bar, which links the victims, if he is ...more
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
What a totally refreshing change this book is. I don’t think I have ever read a detective book quite like this one. It was an absolute breath of fresh air and I thoroughly enjoyed every moment of it.

Overall this is quite a dark read. The murders are gruesome and the police are struggling to make any head way in the case. There are some seriously funny moments in it though. To go into them to much would be a spoiler for anyone who hasn’t read the book but Dylan going undercover as a drag queen wa
M.A. Comley
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have to start by saying that I’m a huge admirer of this author’s work. The Watcher is still one of my favourite books of all time.

This was an interesting investigation from the outset when all the victims are from a ‘special community’ DI Dylan Monroe is newly promoted and is still finding his feet when his partner, who is going through personal issues, rings in sick.

With team members short Dylan is tasked with doing something above and beyond the line of duty to catch a killer who doesn’t s
Zane Michaelson
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book.
Combining the talents of Marcus Brown and Netta Newbound, magic is created!
DI Dylan Monroe goes undercover as drag queen, Avaline Saddlebags, to try and catch a serial killer targeting trans women.
Brutal, gripping, funny and well-written with a twist at the end I didn't see coming-this is a must-read.
I hope this is the start of a long-running series because I loved the characters and look forward to getting to know more about them.
Kath
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh My Days! This was a cracker of a read which I thoroughly enjoyed even if it duped the heck outta me! I was so not prepared to go THERE!
I am familiar with one of the authors who make up this collaboration team having read and thoroughly enjoyed quite a few of Ms Newbound's books and this one was equally class in quality and delivery. Prior to this book I had never heard of Marcus Brown but, as I enjoyed this book so much, I now have a bunch of his books on my ever growing TBR.
So, two MtoF tran
Marcus Brown
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
DI DYLAN MONROE INVESTIGATES SERIES

AVALINE SADDLEBAGS – DI DYLAN MONROW INVESTIGATES: ONE

BUY LINKS:

Synopsis

With time against them, Dyl
The Cats’ Mother
Avaline Saddlebags is the first book in a planned series about recently promoted DI Dylan Monroe, an openly gay detective in Liverpool. I bought it about a year ago after seeing it promoted in the UKCBC Facebook group, mainly because I was intrigued by the stunning cover image. I’ve never read anything about transgender/transsexual/drag queen characters and found this introduction to that world very interesting as well as being a well crafted police procedural.

Dylan’s first case as a DI is the m
The Redhead
From the start the cover caught my attention and I had to know what was going on between the pages.

Immediately I was drawn into this story. The suspense and mystery behind the gruesome killings hit within the first few chapters. Who is killing these women? What are the police going to do about it? How many more victims will there be before the killer is caught? My need for answers grew with each page I turned. The story flows so well, I found myself reading until well past my bedtime, only to p
Donna Maguire

I thought that this book was simply superb and the cover is stunning, it is absolutely perfect for the book!!

I have to say that I thought that the storyline was excellent, it is a stand out for me in terms of the plot as it is different from a lot of the main stream books out there and the authors have done a brilliant job in writing the story to make it one that is addictive and pretty much left me with my mouth hanging open at times!

The characters were
TopsieJ
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely brilliant!!!!!

I couldn't wait for this book to be released and it exceeded my expectations tenfold!
It was so exciting and funny, I laughed out loud so many times....and the labour scene was hilarious!!!
The humour and banter throughout with the most amazing characters, is a perfect balance to the atrocities weaving through this story which was also gruesome and so sad in places.....highlighting issues which are unfortunately, still taboo for many.
Convinced I knew who the killer was, I
Gloria Nuckols
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this thriller! This story flowed so well I could not tell that it was a co-write. I adored Dylan Monroe right from the start. He had such a sense of loyalty, honor and team work and I can't forget the willingness to do whatever it took to find out who was doing all the killing. His interactions with Roy were hilarious at times and the delivery scene with Bella you do not want to miss. I was very impressed with the mix of suspense, mystery and humor throughout the entire book. ...more
Claire
Before I talk about what I thought about the book, I have to mention the cover. This is one hell of a striking cover. I love the split face image with the full on makeup on the right. Having read the book, this cover totally fits with the story inside.

And the story inside kicks off with a totally brutal and horrific prologue. Jeez! But the brutality doesn’t stop there as the gruesome nature of each murder escalates – not for the faint hearted!

The investigation is one with a twist as our leading
Carolann Evans
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Newly promoted DI Dylan Monroe takes over a case from his ex colleague that has retired and is trying to solve the murders that have been happening in the transgender community. He has to go undercover as a drag queen (Avaline Saddlebags). I've got to say I really loved Dylan and although in parts it's a little gruesome you also have funny bits that make you lol. The story flows really well and you wouldn't know where one author wrote and the other one took over. An exceptional read and although ...more
Dee Groocock
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
DI Dylan Monroe has recently been promoted and has to start off his promotion with the murders of 2 ladies from the transgender community. Who is committing these awful murders and why? Can DI Monroe and his team find the killer before the murderer strikes again?
I was hooked from the first page and read this in one sitting, I couldn’t put it down. The story is full of grit and humour and had me intrigued. You know when a book says there is a twist and there isn’t one? Well, boy, does this book
Paula D
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This story starts in the heart of the action and pulls you in and along with it on a rollercoaster of a read. You will not guess this ending or see it coming until it’s at its climax. The characters are relatable and genuine and you will laugh and be astonished in equal measures. DI Dylan is not your mainstream detective and he’s willing to do anything to get the job done. Refreshing and current.
ARC copy.
Sean Talbot
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mist wait till blogtour but just wait it's amazing ...more
SoulSurvivor
May 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
Very strange book that I kept reading hoping it would get better ; it didn't . Centers around an area of Liverpool that is 90% gay or trans . Kind of hard to swallow ( my bad) . ...more
Grace J Reviewerlady
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A gripping crime thriller with some of the most hilarious scenes I've ever come across - how I wish someone would make this for the small screen!

Newly promoted to head of the murder team he has long been a part of, Dylan Monroe finds himself in charge the team investigating the murders of two women. With the body count rapidly increasing, Dylan desperately needs a lead and for everyone in his team to focus on the job. Too much to hope for? Seems like it, and with all victims having links to the
Jessica Belmont
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
YOU GUYS. Why are you reading my review when you could be reading Avaline Saddlebags right now? Explain. I need to know…because you are missing out on a FANTASTIC novel. GO. Go read it.

Okay, fine. I’ll review it, but then you need to promise me you’ll go read it. Spoiler alert: this was a 5 star read for me.

I’ve never read a book like Avaline Saddlebags. A book full of murders and revenge that had me laughing so hard, my stomach hurt. These authors really know how to mix humor with a murder inve
Michelle
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Marcus and Netta had me held captive right from the very start with this Gruesome, Murder Mystery. Pulling me into the story, as DI Dylan Monroe and his team try to find a link to the brutally murdered Transsexuals, all of whom are regulars at Dorothy's. I was kept guessing to who may have done it, only to be totally floored with the twist I didn't see coming.
The humour through out the story kept it real and made me fall in love with some of the characters, especially Roy and Dylan/Avaline Sadd
Patricia Fox
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you love a good mystery mixed with humor and some murders thrown in, then this is the book for you. Our hero DI Dylan Monroe goes undercover in the transgender to discover who is killing these woman. This book holds many twists and turns and the ending was a total shocker. Make sure you pick up a copy of this book by Netta Newbound and Marcus Brown they did a totally excellent job. I love these characters and would love to see this become a series. I would highly recommend this book and if I ...more
Lin Robertson
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Now I liked the sound of DI Dylan Monro. Just promoted and was serious to prove he could do the job.

Had to tut, as Gina is walking home at night in heels. She’d taken a short cut home at night. Every woman knows it’s not safe alone.

Yep, somebody was out on a murder spree. Homophobic, I thought, as the body count escalated.
However, it was more serious.

Loved the bit at the club. Di Dylan sounded fab on stage., in my head. What a sport to try and catch a killer.

Two authors together, smashed it!
Jonathan
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have been waiting for a book like this for so long. I'm not one to write a review especially because I can't quite contain my excitement when it's such a great read, I find myself babbling on about characters and storylines and possible sequels and I think it spoils the story for some people.
All I will say is this read had me gripped from start to finish, the humour, the seriousness, the suspense, D.I. Monroe (who I fell in love with) and the flow of it all is just perfection... When is the ne
Elliot Watson
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
GREAT BOOK, LOVED IT AND CANT WAIT FOR THE NEXT..
Sharilyn Russell
Intriguing

What a wild ride this book was. The suspense of the investigation of the gruesome murders to the end, when the killer was revealed. It was a shock.
Kerry Cahill
Superb!

Absolutely brilliant! This book was something else. I cannot wait for the next instalment of D.I Monroe. The twist is brilliant. Read and Enjoy 😋
Connor Watson'New
Brilliant read.

• In Too Deep: Selling my Soul - Part Two
  • Ashes to Ashes: Selling my Soul - Part Three
  • For the Love of Us: Fighting to Keep Our Love Alive
  • Family of Blue (The Weight of the Badge #1)
  • Never Really Over: Selling my Soul - Part Four
  • Pimped Out: Selling my Soul - Part One (New Version)
  • You Turned My World Around - Coming Out of the Dark: One
  • Ice Queen (An Angel of Mine Story)
  • The Curse of Dry Vagina
  • LOVE LOCKS: The Stranger: True Love Is Written in the Stars
  • Before the Clock Strikes Twelve (Midnight #1)
  • Payback Is a Bitch: Selling my Soul - Part Five
  • After Dark (After Dark, #1)
  • Alone: Ride or Die
  • Red is the Colour (DI Bethany Smith #3)
  • The Quest (A Vampyre Romance #3)
  • Simon Says