Start by marking “The Catalyst: How to Change Anyone's Mind” as Want to Read:
The Catalyst: How to Change Anyone's Mind

The Catalyst: How to Change Anyone's Mind

From the author of New York Times bestsellers Contagious and Invisible Influence comes a revolutionary approach to changing anyones mind.

Everyone has something they want to change. Marketers want to change their customers minds and leaders want to change organizations. Start-ups want to change industries and nonprofits want to change the world. But change is hard. Often,
Published March 3rd 2020 by Simon & Schuster

Start your review of The Catalyst: How to Change Anyone's Mind
David Wineberg
No one is ever satisfied with others. Everyone wants others to change. Its the way of the world, from social programs to closed-minded managers to sales reps to elections. Everyone wants everyone else to see it their way. Jonah Berger tries to bring successful change tactics to this conundrum in The Catalyst. Im not sure he succeeds. He needs to apply them to me, I guess.

The book is a collection of tactics, assembled in anecdotes. People all over the world try new approaches to old problems, and
Nicole (Read Eat Sleep Repeat)
Have you ever wanted to change someones mind? Of course you have! The premise for The Catalyst is that pressure or pushing people often doesnt get them to do what you want. But utilizing catalysts, or change agents, can reduce barriers to help change minds in the toughest situations, and identifies those key barriers and how to mitigate them.

This has an intriguing concept, clear writing, and a straightforward structure. It lays out five barriers to change, and each is the subject of its own
Jake
I liked the psychological tips for better communication. I didn't love the business/marketing speak, although most people who read this will dig that side, I suspect. It gave me a few things to ponder. Thanks to goodreads for the free copy.
Dora Okeyo
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever come across any content on "The Art of Persuasion?" Now, this book right here is 194 pages of intrigues and exploration of the things that bar people from changing. I love how the author explores these barriers to change while focusing on the people, so much so that it's not about the one who wants to change another, but more about getting the other to be open towards changing themselves. I love this.
The author at some point shares that "People are willing to consider different
Kristen
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really interested dive into what prevents people from adopting new ideas, and how to nudge them along. (Hint: it's not spewing more facts at them.) Definitely want to revisit these ideas and work on applying them in my negotiations.
Rima
Feb 05, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is well written and easy to understand. The examples provided were practical and backed by good research. There was nothing super surprising to me, pretty much human nature. Some spots were repetitive but overall enjoyed the read.

I would like to thank NetGalley, the publisher, and the author for giving me the opportunity to read this book in exchange for my honest review.
Marta
Feb 02, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a quick read and provides a good overview of ways to overcome resistance, but the examples and case studies seem very oversimplified.
Kathy Cowie
to be reviewed in the March-April issue of Global Business and Organizational Excellence.
Thomas
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In chemistry, the purpose of a catalyst is simple: to reduce the energy needed for a reaction. In his third book, marketing consultant and professor Jonah Berger applies this concept to his world of marketing and persuasion. The titular Catalyst is a person who changes minds not by overloading with facts and figures, but by removing roadblocks and breaking down the barriers to change.

Berger prescribes his recipe for inciting change through acronym: REDUCEreduce Reactance, ease Endowment, shrink
Shannon Wise
If you have a job where you need agreement. If you are tired of arguing with relatives over the same things. If you just want to know how to sway people without pushing. Read this book. It has completely changed the way I'm going to deal with people.

Jonah Berger gives you tools to use to get people to say yes. He also explains why people tend to say no to new things. It provides solid tools and techniques to bridge gaps without making people angry. He gives you a road map to overcome even the
Greg
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology, self-help
This book has a straight forward answer on how to change anyones mind. The concepts are really well explained and enough examples are provided to strengthen the ideas.

I also like that the book is written in an easy to understand manner. It is not too informal but also not too academic. It is just right.

I also appreciate that the concepts are well researched. Readers can see the citation of other materials on which this book is based.

More importantly this book is timeless.
Alexandria
Well written and easy to understand, however, the material covered is nothing groundbreaking.
Deedi (DeediReads) Brown
All my reviews live at https://deedispeaking.com/reads/.

TL;DR REVIEW:
The Catalyst is a helpful, well-researched book about lowering the barriers of resistance in peoples minds. There were some really good nuggets in there that I will probably use quite often.

For you if: You like big idea nonfiction and work in marketing, non-profit work, politics, or another industry where you are trying to persuade.

FULL REVIEW:
I was drawn to The Catalyst mostly because Jonah Berger wrote it. I really liked his
Ann
Mar 01, 2020 rated it liked it
I may not read a lot of business books, but I do see a fair number of nonfiction book proposals, and I would hold this book up as a classic how-to in terms of structure. It seems like a smart cataloging of strategies to help begin the process to change someone's mind. It did not seem ground-breaking, but nonetheless helpful in articulating the barriers and in suggesting the steps to becoming a catalyst. I enjoyed the anecdotes and case studies, though I wasn't sure that all of them were the ...more
Monte Lamb
Apr 04, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
This book creates a model for how to try to change someone's mind on some subject. I am not giving this a higher rating because I thought the model was not so easy to implement. It could also be I didn't give the book the time needed to study it in more depth and I am willing to admit this. I am familiar with social science models for dealing with problems, making sales, and the like. This attempts to do the same thing for changing something. It is not a long read, so read it for yourselves and ...more
Manouane Beauchamp
Livre franchement intéressant. Je travaille comme consultant en gestion de projet et suis porté à faire de la gestion du changement pour certains mandats et je dois avouer que j'ai appris beaucoup avec ce livre. L'auteur fait une revue de la littérature dans le domaine en ratissant très large, avec pour résultat que chaque chapitre recèle de découvertes fort intéressantes. Et pour illustrer ses propos, l'auteur présente autant des études qui ont été menées que des cas illustrant ses propos. Un ...more
Chris Boutté
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jonah Berger is one of my favorite authors when it comes to analyzing human behavior, so I just had to get this book on launch day. It was fascinating, and I binged it within the first 24 hours.

This book, as well as his others, arent just for marketing. Its easy to see the wide application of these strategies. For me, it helped me figure out ways to help people want to improve their mental health.
James Rolle
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Catalyst is a very compelling look at how to change peope's minds - in any contenxt or situation - by first understanding what is preventing them from change, and then using a soft approach. The book provides a roadmap for approaching a wide variety of situations where you might want or need to convince people to change, and gives specific techniques, supported by numerous examples of how these have worked in real life. The footnotes are alos extensive.
Susan
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Catalyst: How to Change Anyones Mind by Jonah Berger is a quick, interesting read on dealing with others in a way that opens up communication beyond being persuasive or forceful in the exchange. Berger is thoughtful, providing a well researched book validating his points with poignant examples and my favorite, Notes with applicable resources. The big takeaway is easing uncertainty by dealing with roadblocks. #GoodreadsGiveaway ...more
Anne Janzer
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you've tried, without success, to cross divides of beliefs and understanding, pick up this book and become a catalyst for change. In Berger's definition, a catalyst is someone who persuades others by removing the barriers to agreement, encouraging people to persuade themselves. The book is fun to read, with a good balance of research and stories. More importantly, it reveals practices of effective communication in divided world.
Mam
Mar 15, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Erika Kraus
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won this book in the giveaway. The Catalyst presents strong tips and tricks on how to change your family, friends and co-workers thoughts, not completely but enough to ease a would-be argument into a constructive, considerate conversation.
Stefano
Apr 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting science-backed ways to improve your changes when looking to drive change. Enjoyed it. Recommended.
Tami
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Author Jonah Berger explains in a easy to understand way how changing peoples mind happens and ways to manage barriers that keep change from happening. I particularly enjoyed the real world examples he used. Thank you Simon & Schuster for the ARC through Goodreads Giveaways! ...more
Robin McCool
It took me awhile to get through this one. I liked how the examples explained the different strategies, so I could better understand and apply them to my own experiences.
Lynn Derks
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again Berger comes through with a winner. I especially like his "human" approach. He's not teaching us how to trick others; he's teaching us to understand how other's think.
Amber
This book I got as a first reads, it was well written but the information was very basic. I did like the examples that the book used to prove the they were showcasing.

This book would be a good intro. book for the topic at hand.
Judi
Dec 31, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Berger explains five catalysts (reactance, endowment, distance, uncertainty, corroborating evidence) used to change others thinking. Often felt like a primer on marketing. Simple chapters with illustrative examples were helpful but content sometimes felt repetitive within each chapter.

Received as a goodreads giveaway.
Darya
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On of the best books I have ever read on persuasion and negotiations. I liked a lot the examples provided and the structure of the book that gives a great overview on tools of changing the way people think and act for good.
Erica

• Loserthink: How Untrained Brains Are Ruining America
  • The Way of Beauty
  • Startup Success: Funding the Early Stages of Your Venture
  • Volume Control: Hearing in a Deafening World
  • Nappily Ever After (Nappily, #1)
  • The Travelers
  • The Business of Being YOU: Personal Brand Secrets of CEOs and Celebrities
  • Baby of the Family
  • A Beautiful Corpse (Harper McClain, #2)
  • Don't Overthink It: Make Easier Decisions, Stop Second-Guessing, and Bring More Joy to Your Life
  • Devotion
  • Nobody Will Tell You This But Me: A True (as Told to Me) Story
  • A World Without Work: Technology, Automation, and How We Should Respond
  • Mating in Captivity: Reconciling the Erotic and the Domestic
  • The Obesity Code: Unlocking the Secrets of Weight Loss
  • Never Split the Difference
Jonah Berger is a marketing professor at the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania and bestselling author of Contagious: Why Things Catch On and Invisible Influence: The Hidden Forces that Shape Behavior.

Dr. Berger has spent over 15 years studying how social influence works and how it drives products and ideas to catch on. Hes published dozens of articles in top-tier academic journals,

Articles featuring this book

Need another excuse to go to the bookstore this week? We've got you covered with the buzziest new releases of the day. To create our list, we foc...