Start by marking “Murder in the Family” as Want to Read:
Murder in the Family

Murder in the Family

Greed Poisons Even The Sweetest Well
Storm chaser Molly McClelland must return to her small Alabama hometown when she unexpectedly inherits her hoarder aunt's house . . . and all of its contents. Despite her suspicions that her aunt was murdered, Molly wants nothing more than to sell everything and get back to the life she loves. Especially once her homecoming reignites
Published September 17th 2019 by Firefly Southern Fiction

To ask other readers questions about Murder in the Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder in the Family

Start your review of Murder in the Family
David Szatkowski
This book is at once particular, in that it is a murder mystery, and at the same time universal in touching on themes of family, healing, and the power of greed to destroy lives. The characters are believable and likable, and the situations described are all too common in our world today. I encourage you to read this book both for enjoyment and as a way to consider how love, healing, and forgiveness have the power to transform our lives.
Marie
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you in advance to JustRead Publicity Tours, Firefly Southern Fiction, and author Ramona Richards for providing a review copy. A positive review was not required, all words and thoughts are my own.

“A Murder in the Family” is what I would describe as a “cozy mystery” – “subgenre of crime fiction in which sex and violence are downplayed or treated humorously, and the crime and detection take place in a small, socially intimate community”. This novel fits right into that, though I found it “
Jane
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I want to give you a glimpse into a great mystery novel I finished reading in two days. Murder in the Family, by Ramona Richards. I had the opportunity to meet Ramona at a writer’s conference in California several years ago. At that time, she was an acquisitions editor in addition to following her passion to write mysteries. When I saw this recent novel, I couldn’t wait to read it. I wasn’t disappointed!
The main character, Molly, received news that she’d inherited her Aunt Liz’s estate. Molly l
Elaine Shaw
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Family is truly always Family

This is truly an excellent book! It told the story of a family tnru several decades. Their Individual weaknesses and strengths were explored and woven thru a beautifully told story. Molly ' s forgiveness and acceptance of her uncle reminds us of God's love and acceptance for us. I did not want this story to end. I love this author's style of writing, her understanding of the way the human mind works and her ability to explain it all on paper. A beautiful, beautiful b
Mark Hunter
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Started out a little slow for me, but by the time I got halfway through I was fully invested in the mystery and the problems of the main character, who has WAY more patience than I would. I've never understood people as nasty as the ones she has to deal with.
Lee Ann
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
EXCELLENT book...probably one of the best i have read this year.
Definitely couldn't put it down at night trying to figure out who was trying to kill poor Molly over an estate.
Had a little bit of everything..mystery, danger and some romance.
Just a great book that i highly recommend reading.
Suzie Waltner
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ramona Richards weaves a tale of a family torn apart by generations and years of greed.

The last thing Molly McClelland wants to do is return to Alabama and take care of her aunt’s estate. But she’s the only one her aunt trusted to distribute it fairly and according to her wishes.

The hoarding aspect of Murder in the Family is both unique and interesting to the book. Richards’ vivid descriptions of Aunt Liz’s home gave me the creepy crawlies at times (and made me ready to deep clean my own home).
Ane Mulligan
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book! It was the first book by Richards that I read, but it isn't the last. I immediately bought several others of hers to read. What a great mystery! There were quirky characters, and twists and turns I never saw coming. I've become a real fan of cozy mysteries, and especially of Ramona Richards' books. Do yourself a favor and get this book!
Kathleen
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read. I couldn’t put it down until I finished it. Lots of twists and turns.
Norma Jolliffe
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Looked It!

Never wanted to put it down and that's unusual for this night time reader. This one I actually read in the day time. I adore books set in the American Southern states and this one checks all the boxes; peculiar family dynamics, money, murder, a big old house, determined heroine (a storm chaser no less!) and of course, a handsome Sheriff with a sad history. The plus being that it is well told and engaging.

Lauren Crews
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such an enjoyable read

Intriguing murder mystery. Characters are fun and totally relatable, you'll find yourself rooting for Molly. Give this one a try.
Janice Garey
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Review Title: Greedy Meets Generous in a Hoarder's House (Review of Murder in the Family by Ramona Richards)
Reviewer: Janice S. Garey
***** 5 Stars

Ramona Richards covers a lot of ground, literally and figuratively, in Murder in the Family. The main setting will grab the interest of readers right from the beginning. Within a close knit small town community lived a beloved retired lady who became a hoarder by default in her later years. Relatives and others found her to be soft-hearted in wanting t
Christi
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, 2019
I was a young adolescent when my paternal great-grandfather passed away. Before the land had settled over his grave there was a battle for his estate, the effects still felt in my family to this day. It nearly ripped my family apart and I distinctly remember my mother telling me that peoples true colors come out when there is a death in the family. So true.

Molly McClelland also finds this fact out at an early age, after the passing of her grandfather, with family greed so abhorrent that it made
Erin
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: justread-tours
My Thoughts on Murder in the Family:
Mystery novels are definitely my thing. I love them! It’s so much fun to get lost in a great mystery novel and try to solve the mystery before the author gives us the answer.

This book was so fast-paced and it took some thinking to remember who was who and why they were important. It was also a bit interesting to try to remember why certain people were so intense on wanting what they weren’t supposed to have.

As a member of a family who’s had a death recently w
Jackie
Nov 17, 2019 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a great mystery novel. It pulled you in at the first sentence. Right away you know what the mystery is and how invested the main character is in finding answers. I really loved how the story built on itself giving small pieces of information just enough to keep you turning pages. The way the author weaved in the main character's past life with the current situation gave you information without being too over the top. The way the main character of Molly used her knowledge of storms ...more
Darlene
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Storm chaser Molly McClelland’s world is interrupted from an attorney’s phone call. She’s inherited her hoarder aunt’s place and all of her belongings. Curious as to why her aunt would leave it to her, she returns to the one place she never wanted to see again—her hometown and all her greedy family.

Upon arrival, she immediately begins to suspect all is not what it seems in the small town in Alabama. Was her aunt’s death an accident or something more sinister? On her quest to rid the house of its
Kari
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Murder In The Family
By Ramona Richards

I absolutely loved this Southern mystery with some thrillers thrown in. I was flying through each page and felt like I had developed a personal relationship with the main character, Molly McClelland.

When Molly must return to her family that had been torn apart decades ago due to familial rifts, she isn’t all that thrilled. Not only is their bad blood and bad memories but she was also appointed the Executor of her Aunt’s Estate and is dreading the process of
Gina Holder
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If ever there was a book that fit the adage “Don’t judge a book by its cover,” it aptly applies to Murder in the Family. The author is new-to-me, so I have no idea what to expect when I opted to read this book, but I am so glad I did.
Murder in the Family asked all the perfect “What if” questions. Imagine a girl storm-chaser who lives out of her jeep, owning only the bare minimum, is suddenly given the responsibility to distribute the belongings of an absolute hoarder.
Molly hates stuff (junk, m
Merry Chapman
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Storm Chaser Molly McClelland left her small Alabama town 20 years ago due to a dysfunctional family with lots of unsavory issues. If you want a roller coaster ride with lots of twists and turns and red-herrings, this is the book to read! When Molly finds she inherited her Aunt Liz's estate, she is forced to come back to town to dispose of the estate, she is once again met with some serious family issues. Will she be able to accede to her aunt's wishes that Russell her aunt's lawyer presented he ...more
Karen
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every family has some deep dark secrets, but Molly McClelland’s family takes the cake! Long-time family feuds (of which Molly knew little about), murders, and some ancestral miscreants make this a fun, interesting, intriguing read! After her aunt Liz’s death, Molly is brought back to her hometown as she finds herself the heir to Liz’s estate. Much to her dismay she discovers her aunt’s hoarding has rendered the job of executrix very troubling and trying, as well as extremely unsafe. And the more ...more
Amanda  H
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my goodness, this book was hard to put down! As soon as Molly set foot in her childhood small town full of secrets with a hoarder's home as an inheritance, I was hooked. Twenty years before, her family was ripped apart by greed, so she took off and never looked back. When she inherits her aunt's home, all the old wounds are re-opened.
I like that this book has so many different layers, both to the characters and the story that unfolds. How does one become a hoarder? What happens when a crime
Mererid Evanna
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a compelling story about a hoarder's will, a troubled family and a decent Alabama community. From the beginning storm-chaser Molly suspects her greedy relatives murdered Aunt Liz for her stuff, but there's more to it than that. A lot more. I was impressed with the competent way Molly handled sorting out the overcrowded Victorian house and her fiercely assertive response to unreasonable demands. Small wonder the community took her to their hearts. I thoroughly recommend this clean, enthra ...more
Dr. Deborah Maxey
Oh wow! If you are looking for a great mystery with lots of twists and turns, great characters that are like folks you might know (only maybe wayyyy more interesting) and issues that are real like, greed then this is a great read for you. I thought I would just start reading it and make time for a chapter or so a day...well silly me, this writer got me hooked from the beginning and I read it in two days with what little spare time I had. Enjoy!!
Robin
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Twisty turny edge of your seat great book. Mystery and disfunctional family all rolled into one story. Very well written and I highly recommend this book. I received an advance reader copy from Light House Publishing of the Carolinas. Opinions are my own.
Evonne Hutton
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Skeletons start falling out when there is a murder in the family!
But no matter what those consist of, it can actually lead to a place to call home.
A well written story that held my attention.
SylviaV
Murder in the Family by Ramona Richards.
My thoughts:
For me this was a thought provoking story about the death of a loved one combined with the task of cleaning out a hoarders house whilst also dealing with toxic extended family members. Throw in a murder mystery, a romance, feelings of betrayal, anger, forgiveness, embracing change and you have a compelling story that kept this reader engaged till the very last page.
A great read. 4 and half stars.
Phyllis H. Pajka
Aug 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I would give this book more than 5 stars if I could. It was a wonderful story and I enjoyed every minute of it. Just wish it had lasted longer. The main character, Molly, was such a good person and tried to look out for everybody but herself. It's the first book I've ever read about woman storm chasers but she loved the job and had to come back home to straighten up somethings in her small hometown. Read this book. I know you'll love it like I did.
Jennifer Hallmark
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I Loved This Book!

Murder in the Family by Ramona Richards is a story that grabs you from the first page and doesn't let go. I've lived in Alabama most of my life and her story is spot on. I could picture it all in her wonderful settings and descriptive prose. I'll definitely read this author again!
Paula Corregan
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Good book!

This book was interesting and contained subject matter that many people can relate to(namely greedy family members). Although, most greedy family members would not go to the lengths mentioned in the book. This book contained intrigue and several twists and turns as well as a touch of romance. I highly recommend it to other mystery readers.

Rebecca Garner
Mar 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A treat from start to finish!

What a terrific, cozy thriller! I couldn’t put it down. Romana Richards provided a great read from the first page to the last word. Her use of so much Southern familiarity was especially delightful. When the pictures behind the story play that vividly in the reader’s mind, you know you’ve got a gem.

• When You Got A Good Thing (Misfit Inn, #1)
  • Flashpoint (Flashpoint #1)
  • Practically Married
  • Love You Truly
  • The Caretaker’s Son (Secrets in Savannah #1)
  • Long Gone (DCI Paul Cullen Mysteries, #1)
  • Agent Zero (Agent Zero Spy Thriller #1)
  • Lacy's Legacy (Westward Home and Hearts Mail-Order Brides, #1)
  • The Trouble In Willow Falls (Willow Falls Series Book 2)
  • Typhoid Mary
  • A Week in Brighton
  • Dakota Peace
  • Brian's Choice (Plain and Simple Miracles #0.5)
  • Erma's Attic (Angels of the Appalachians #2)
  • A Doctor's Promise (Lifeline Air Rescue #1)
  • Wally's Misadventure
  • Threads of Suspicion (Evie Blackwell Cold Case, #2)
  • A Holiday Affair (Holiday Harbor Book 1)
I started making stuff up at 3, writing it down at 7, and selling it at 17. I've written 12 books. The latest two are Tracking Changes: One Editor's Advice to Inspirational Fiction Authors, a collection of essays for novelists, and Burying Daisy Doe, a suspense novel set in a small Southern town. In fact, most of my suspense novels are set in small Southern towns. Murder in the Family is the lates ...more