Start by marking “Tall Tales and Wee Stories: The Best of Billy Connolly” as Want to Read:

THE SUNDAY TIMES BESTSELLER

'Connolly's raucous run through his life is as furious, funny and foul-mouthed as you'd expect' Sunday Times

In December 2018, after fifty years of belly-laughs, energy and outrage, Billy Connolly announced his retirement from live stand-up comedy. It had been an extraordinary career.

When he first started out in the late sixties, Billy

Published October 17th 2019 by Two Roads

To ask other readers questions about Tall Tales and Wee Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tall Tales and Wee Stories

Start your review of Tall Tales and Wee Stories: The Best of Billy Connolly
Bill Lynas
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Over the years I've seen Billy Connolly's numerous stand up routines on TV, but I've always regretted not seeing him live on stage. To make up for this in a small way I treated myself to a signed copy of this brilliantly entertaining book.
Connolly has put together his best "tall tales & wee stories" from a lifetime of stand up comedy. There are a few stories here that are new to me, but even the routines I know well still made me laugh out loud.
The stories all flow beautifully & so many
Jo
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Tall Tales and Wee Stories: The Best of Billy Connolly

Billy Connolly, is one of those comedians who everybody knows and loves, his innate honesty and sharp wit, have had audiences in stitches for five decades. I read this on the bus on the way to and from work and was giggling all the way there and back. The drivers must have thought I'd lost by mind. Highlights include a trip to Births Deaths and Marriages and a chapter on why multiple orgasms have put tremendous pressure on men and women have
Kasa Cotugno
What makes the inhabitants of Glasgow so eternally fascinating! Here, Billy Connolly gives insight through his tenement childhood through his life, told in short vignettes, some laugh-out-loud hilarious. In fact, his secret to enjoying life without fail is to be sure not to lose your ability to laugh. At times curmudgeonly, at times kind, often very raw and profane, but always honest, and with that wee twinkle.

Full disclosure - I never had the pleasure of seeing Sir Connolly's standup in
Amanda Provan
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
All my favourite stories in written form. Billy Connolly has such a special place in my heart and I always get really emotional talking about him but this one made me laugh rather than cry. I had tears running down my face reading my favourite skits I was laughing that much. It took me five minutes to read one bloody paragraph about the knitted balaclava because I was hysterically laughing. They are just as funny in written form as they are on stage. Love you big yin!
Keen
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

CYNICAL, HALF-HEARTED RECYCLED CASH IN!

Imagine one of your favourite bands or singers who had been recording music for around half a century, decided to put those songs in book form without any hint of the music at all. You would rightly be confused by the move. Beyond the cash generating aspect, what would be the point?...Well that is basically what Connolly has done here.

The main problem with this book is that almost all of it has appeared in at least one, sometimes two previous books and a
Jamie Bowen
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
Now that Billy has retired from stand up comedy, he’s finally been persuaded to write down some of his more well known stories. I was reading this and I had his voice in my head, and I was having to stifle laughter when reading this not to wake anyone up. Very funny stories and a great read.
Becca
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ah Billy Connolly is just such an icon. His comedy is timeless and classic. I have loved watching his stand up over the years on TV and once had tickets to see him live - which I so regret not being able to use. This book is a collection of small stories from his life, some we've heard before, some new. I found myself reading it in my head using his voice and I think this made it so much funnier. Please read this if you are a fan. Even if you aren't, you will probably enjoy it nonetheless.

John Stevens
Always liked Billy Connolly but his humour, for me, is better live. The book covers a lot of stories that people, who like Billy Connolly, will already be familiar with.
Celine Godfrey
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love Billy Connolly! Always have, always will. First came to know of him whilst growing up outside Glasgow and my mum not allowing me to watch him on TV or listen to him on radio. And of course, being forbidden made me secretly seek him out.

My first time seeing him on stage was in Bournemouth in the early 80s and some of the audience walking out!! He actually addressed me a couple of times cos he told some jokes that Glaswegians (or near enough) would REALLY get, so I was in hysterics and
Colin Murtagh
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humour, biography
I grew up listening to Billy, I remember hearing the jobby weecher and the Crucifixion on records my elder brother would play while I was still in short trousers. He's been a part of my life for that long, and now he's retiring from the stage. But it's not all bad news, for he leaves us this, a collection of all his best stories, but written down. Given how much I've heard from him, anything I read, I hear in his voice, which when you include the sex noises is a little weird. He's the finest ...more
Linda
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have never laughed so much as when I read this book. It’s inevitably read in Billy’s voice and his mad accent and take on life with sound affects to boot. Not so much a tale of his life but many hilarious anecdotes and wee stories. Some apparently true. This is one for the real fan. I bloody loved it!
Victor
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Just a short note... when reading this book, and I did read it in one day, you will hear Billy’s voice constantly (at least if you ever watched one of his live shows)
I love his stories, I love his style! I love this book!
Suzanne
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I saw Billy on stage a few years ago and I laughed until it hurt. I think seeing him live definitely helped while reading the book, as I could imagine him strutting round the stage telling his tall tales and wee stories. He's written the book exactly the way he talks, swear words and all.
Jill
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bloody Brilliant. I was so lucky to have seen Billy perform live. It’s so sad that he’s given up live shows but this book captures some of my favourite stories and it’s a book I know I will read again and again and continue to laugh out loud!!!!
Stuart
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great to read through some of the classic Connolly stories, very funny
Lawrence Paterson
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love Billy, so this was great for me. A collection of short stories, just like he is on stage :)
Allan
Dec 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
I laughed out loud (not the kindle edition but a real book).

David H
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant !
Funniest book I've read in ages. Although probably helps if you can "ken a wee bittae Scottish".
Stephen
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very light and amusing read featuring all his classic stories. Not quite the same as watching him tell them in the hilarious way that he does but still great fun.
Stuart Chambers
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love Billy Connolly, always have, always will and what a class act Billy really is. This is the best of the very best of the big man's, tall tales and wee stories as he told them on stage. Great reading, great man, great heart
Teresa
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
A collection of some of his best stories. Not as good as seeing the man perform them but the next best thing. If you love Billy, you'll love this book.
Tina
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Such a class act. Chuckling all the way through. Some proper classic tales and jokes in this book. Big Connolly fan? Then this is a must have .
Cee Tee
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
It's not possible to say anything bad about Billy Connolly. He's a national treasure.

This book recounts many of the tales he has used in his stage shows over the years. So as a fan from his first double album 'Solo Concert' recorded in 1974, many of the stories were familiar to me. And for that reason only, did I not give this book the full 5 star rating.

But there are still some priceless tales in here that will make you laugh out loud - especially if as Billy suggests at the start, you read the
Jak
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tall Tales and Wee Stories and Billy Connolly transcribing many of his best stand-up jokes/tales. As a big BC fan, this was familiar ground for me and great fun. During the books into BC that you’d read the book in his accent and I found it impossible not to do so. I also frequently ‘watched along’ as I picture his actual stand up so still got is great ‘physical’ story telling and facial expressions.

I did wonder if this was hand to someone who had never seen any of his stand up if they would
GEOFFREY W
Might not work so well if you haven't seen TBCOAT (The Best Comedian Of All Time) preforming some of the routines (eg incontinence Pants, drinking Zombies) because of the sheer physicality of some of the humour. If, however, you have seen live or TV performances, your imagination will take you straight there. Although, as the man says, he's not been a great teller of jokes, my eternal thanks to Billy and his editors for including what is beyond disputation the best punchline gag in the known ...more
Tree
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was lucky enough to see Billy live a few years ago (and meet him not long after, but that's a different story), just after his diagnosis with Parkinson's and recognised a lot of his wee stories from that evening. It's no disappointment at all, as I could hear his voice through them all. My family is Glaswegian and reading this was a great comfort as I waited for a flight up having had some bad news from the clan. I felt very close to them as he talked about all the places in our history - ...more
Olivia
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The source of my much needed serotonin the past few weeks. Could easily have read it all in one sitting but chose to read a few stories a night and glad I did. Although it’s obviously not entirely the same as hearing the jokes live, as a fan I’ve seen the majority of them before so could hear them perfectly in my head which is a close second! Maybe if you weren’t as acquainted with Billy as myself you wouldn’t appreciate it as much but I adored this.
Calvin Turton
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not going to lie, shed a tear at the end.

Billy Connolly is one of my all time favourite comedians. I've been watching him since I was little and this book is a well rounded experience for anything Connolly does.

At its heart, its a best of book but there's nothing wrong with that. Billy imparts his wisdom (and it is wisdom) through his life experiences and anecdotes, there's also some fresh stories, especially towards the end...

Well worth a read, had me in stitches throughout.
Sharon Piddock
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant I laughed and cried at this one. I always find out something new about this wonderful man, Peter Kay is the other comedian I have great admiration for. They both are equal in their ability to entertain and hold your attention. This book reads just as if Billy was telling you it himself you can hear his voice as you go through it. Definitely a go to read again and again.
Very funny, but mainly because I could hear Billy performing it in my head as I read it. Not sure the humour would stand up so well if you were reading it without being familiar already with his comedy style - some of the stories are showing signs of age and are a bit flat on the page. (Having said that I've just heard my 13 year old son laughing out loud whilst reading the first few stories!)
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Robbie Fowler: My Life In Football: Goals, Glory & The Lessons I've Learnt
  • Working Class Man
  • Sweet Sorrow
  • A Day Like Today: Memoirs
William "Billy" Connolly, Jr., CBE is a Scottish comedian, musician, presenter and actor. He is sometimes known, especially in his native Scotland, by the nickname The Big Yin (The Big One). His first trade, in the early 1960s, was as a welder (specifically a boilermaker) in the Glasgow shipyards, but he gave it up towards the end of the decade to pursue a career as a folk singer in the Humblebums ...more
“Chic Murray once told me, he fell in the street, and a woman said to him, ‘Did you fall?’ He said, ‘No, I’m trying to break a bar of chocolate in my back pocket.” 0 likes
“Even though everybody knows that when you light up a cigarette God takes an hour off your life and gives it to Keith Richards.” 0 likes