Start by marking “Tall Tales and Wee Stories: The Best of Billy Connolly” as Want to Read:

THE SUNDAY TIMES BESTSELLER

'Connolly's raucous run through his life is as furious, funny and foul-mouthed as you'd expect' Sunday Times

In December 2018, after fifty years of belly-laughs, energy and outrage, Billy Connolly announced his retirement from live stand-up comedy. It had been an extraordinary career.

When he first started out in the late sixties, Billy

Published October 17th 2019 by Two Roads

To ask other readers questions about Tall Tales and Wee Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tall Tales and Wee Stories

Start your review of Tall Tales and Wee Stories: The Best of Billy Connolly
Bill Lynas
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Over the years I've seen Billy Connolly's numerous stand up routines on TV, but I've always regretted not seeing him live on stage. To make up for this in a small way I treated myself to a signed copy of this brilliantly entertaining book.
Connolly has put together his best "tall tales & wee stories" from a lifetime of stand up comedy. There are a few stories here that are new to me, but even the routines I know well still made me laugh out loud.
The stories all flow beautifully & so many
Jo
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Tall Tales and Wee Stories: The Best of Billy Connolly

Billy Connolly, is one of those comedians who everybody knows and loves, his innate honesty and sharp wit, have had audiences in stitches for five decades. I read this on the bus on the way to and from work and was giggling all the way there and back. The drivers must have thought I'd lost by mind. Highlights include a trip to Births Deaths and Marriages and a chapter on why multiple orgasms have put tremendous pressure on men and women have
Amanda Provan
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
All my favourite stories in written form. Billy Connolly has such a special place in my heart and I always get really emotional talking about him but this one made me laugh rather than cry. I had tears running down my face reading my favourite skits I was laughing that much. It took me five minutes to read one bloody paragraph about the knitted balaclava because I was hysterically laughing. They are just as funny in written form as they are on stage. Love you big yin!
Celine Godfrey
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love Billy Connolly! Always have, always will. First came to know of him whilst growing up outside Glasgow and my mum not allowing me to watch him on TV or listen to him on radio. And of course, being forbidden made me secretly seek him out.

My first time seeing him on stage was in Bournemouth in the early 80s and some of the audience walking out!! He actually addressed me a couple of times cos he told some jokes that Glaswegians (or near enough) would REALLY get, so I was in hysterics and
Colin Murtagh
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humour, biography
I grew up listening to Billy, I remember hearing the jobby weecher and the Crucifixion on records my elder brother would play while I was still in short trousers. He's been a part of my life for that long, and now he's retiring from the stage. But it's not all bad news, for he leaves us this, a collection of all his best stories, but written down. Given how much I've heard from him, anything I read, I hear in his voice, which when you include the sex noises is a little weird. He's the finest ...more
Jill
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bloody Brilliant. I was so lucky to have seen Billy perform live. It’s so sad that he’s given up live shows but this book captures some of my favourite stories and it’s a book I know I will read again and again and continue to laugh out loud!!!!
Allan
Dec 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
I laughed out loud (not the kindle edition but a real book).

David H
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant !
Funniest book I've read in ages. Although probably helps if you can "ken a wee bittae Scottish".
Stephen
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very light and amusing read featuring all his classic stories. Not quite the same as watching him tell them in the hilarious way that he does but still great fun.
Stuart Chambers
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love Billy Connolly, always have, always will and what a class act Billy really is. This is the best of the very best of the big man's, tall tales and wee stories as he told them on stage. Great reading, great man, great heart
Teresa
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
A collection of some of his best stories. Not as good as seeing the man perform them but the next best thing. If you love Billy, you'll love this book.
Tina
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Such a class act. Chuckling all the way through. Some proper classic tales and jokes in this book. Big Connolly fan? Then this is a must have .
Kasa Cotugno
What makes the inhabitants of Glasgow so eternally fascinating! Here, Billy Connolly gives insight through his tenement childhood through his life, told in short vignettes, some laugh-out-loud hilarious. In fact, his secret to enjoying life without fail is to be sure not to lose your ability to laugh. At times curmudgeonly, at times kind, often very raw and profane, but always honest, and with that wee twinkle.

Full disclosure - I never had the pleasure of seeing Sir Connolly's standup in
GEOFFREY W
Might not work so well if you haven't seen TBCOAT (The Best Comedian Of All Time) preforming some of the routines (eg incontinence Pants, drinking Zombies) because of the sheer physicality of some of the humour. If, however, you have seen live or TV performances, your imagination will take you straight there. Although, as the man says, he's not been a great teller of jokes, my eternal thanks to Billy and his editors for including what is beyond disputation the best punchline gag in the known ...more
Tree
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was lucky enough to see Billy live a few years ago (and meet him not long after, but that's a different story), just after his diagnosis with Parkinson's and recognised a lot of his wee stories from that evening. It's no disappointment at all, as I could hear his voice through them all. My family is Glaswegian and reading this was a great comfort as I waited for a flight up having had some bad news from the clan. I felt very close to them as he talked about all the places in our history - ...more
Olivia
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The source of my much needed serotonin the past few weeks. Could easily have read it all in one sitting but chose to read a few stories a night and glad I did. Although it’s obviously not entirely the same as hearing the jokes live, as a fan I’ve seen the majority of them before so could hear them perfectly in my head which is a close second! Maybe if you weren’t as acquainted with Billy as myself you wouldn’t appreciate it as much but I adored this.
Calvin Turton
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not going to lie, shed a tear at the end.

Billy Connolly is one of my all time favourite comedians. I've been watching him since I was little and this book is a well rounded experience for anything Connolly does.

At its heart, its a best of book but there's nothing wrong with that. Billy imparts his wisdom (and it is wisdom) through his life experiences and anecdotes, there's also some fresh stories, especially towards the end...

Well worth a read, had me in stitches throughout.
Sharon Piddock
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant I laughed and cried at this one. I always find out something new about this wonderful man, Peter Kay is the other comedian I have great admiration for. They both are equal in their ability to entertain and hold your attention. This book reads just as if Billy was telling you it himself you can hear his voice as you go through it. Definitely a go to read again and again.
Linda
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have never laughed so much as when I read this book. It’s inevitably read in Billy’s voice and his mad accent and take on life with sound affects to boot. Not so much a tale of his life but many hilarious anecdotes and wee stories. Some apparently true. This is one for the real fan. I bloody loved it!
Karen wadey
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If there was an option I would give this book 10 out of 10. I laughed my way through this book, Billy has a way that makes you realise what's important in life. If you don't like his language or his references to Willies, farting and other bodily functions then don't read it but it's you who will be missing out ...more
Donna
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely brilliant book. Made me laugh and brought back brilliant memories of when we saw him live, with jet lag in New York. Also memories of our honeymoon in New Zealand where we followed the route he took on his motorbike. A must read for any Billy Connolly fan.
Tea
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. I love to laugh. And this book doesn’t disappoint Billy Connolly a well known British comedian and actor.
Retired from comedy due to Parkinson’s disease. Gives us a stand up gig in a book… and it’s beautifully funny haha.
If you like comedy then read this one.
Alice Chau-Ginguene
If you are a big of Billy, you probably have already heard of the jokes in this book on video or live. But still, it is a great experience to see all the famous jokes all line up together.
If you are a fan of Billy, read this book, you will have a great laugh. (As always)
Emma Rosen
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great for fans as this is a transcription of a wide selection of his stand up. Does lose a little from bit being supplemented by Billy's voice and enthusiasm,although you can't help but read it in his accent.
Trevor Elliott
Jan 17, 2020 rated it liked it
If you’ve seen most of Billy’s shows, you won’t need to read this book. Hearing and seeing him tell the tales and anecdotes is a much more pleasurable experience than reading them. Having said that, one or two did make me laugh out loud, even though I’d heard them before.
Malcolm Watson
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
A very enjoyable read!
It is a collection of stories from his stage act over the years peppered with anecdotes on life, delivered in Billy's inimitable style!
If you like Billy you will know many of these stories but they lose nothing in the retelling!
Alison
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Billy is an absolute icon and national treasure! I’m prepared to fight anyone who says otherwise!
This was such a wonderful collection of his tales and made me laugh out loud on multiple occasions. Definitely a 5 star read and would recommend to anyone who loves a giggle!
Shannon
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Although this was a bit of a slow read for me due to other commitments.

I laughed at this book even during dark moments of the last few months, got lost and imagined myself there and laughing along as all these stories took place before me.

Fiona Howells
An easy reading Xmas present. I like Billy Connolly, he has always made me laugh. This was a collection of anecdotes and ponderings from the big man, some obviously funnier than others, all written exactly as he would say them, so it reads like one of his stand up routines. Very sweary.
Jamie Bowen
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
Now that Billy has retired from stand up comedy, he’s finally been persuaded to write down some of his more well known stories. I was reading this and I had his voice in my head, and I was having to stifle laughter when reading this not to wake anyone up. Very funny stories and a great read.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Lady in Waiting: My Extraordinary Life in the Shadow of the Crown
  • Wham! George & Me
  • Gotta Get Theroux This: My Life and Strange Times on Television
  • Face It
  • Truth to Power: 7 Ways to Call Time on B.S.
  • The Body: A Guide for Occupants
  • Westwind
  • I, Robot: How to Be a Footballer 2
  • Starve Acre
  • Billy Connolly
  • The Hero: The Enduring Myth That Makes Us Human
  • Working Class Man
  • Sweet Sorrow
William "Billy" Connolly, Jr., CBE is a Scottish comedian, musician, presenter and actor. He is sometimes known, especially in his native Scotland, by the nickname The Big Yin (The Big One). His first trade, in the early 1960s, was as a welder (specifically a boilermaker) in the Glasgow shipyards, but he gave it up towards the end of the decade to pursue a career as a folk singer in the Humblebums ...more
“Chic Murray once told me, he fell in the street, and a woman said to him, ‘Did you fall?’ He said, ‘No, I’m trying to break a bar of chocolate in my back pocket.” 0 likes
“Even though everybody knows that when you light up a cigarette God takes an hour off your life and gives it to Keith Richards.” 0 likes