Start by marking “The Trouble with Hating You (The Trouble with Hating You, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Trouble with Hating You (The Trouble with Hating You, #1)

The Trouble with Hating You

(The Trouble with Hating You #1)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  19,245 ratings  ·  2,946 reviews
Liya Thakkar is a successful biochemical engineer, takeout enthusiast, and happily single woman. The moment she realizes her parents' latest dinner party is a setup with the man they want her to marry, she's out the back door in a flash. Imagine her surprise when the same guy shows up at her office a week later -- the new lawyer hired to save her struggling company. What's ...more
Published May 12th 2020 by Forever

To ask other readers questions about The Trouble with Hating You, please sign up.
Krs Yes! The author said she's working on it. And at the end of The Trouble with Hating You it said that the book about Preeti should be published in the …moreYes! The author said she's working on it. And at the end of The Trouble with Hating You it said that the book about Preeti should be published in the summer of 2021! (less)

·  19,245 ratings  ·  2,946 reviews

Start your review of The Trouble with Hating You (The Trouble with Hating You, #1)
 Teodora
3.35/5 ⭐

Full review on my Blog: The Dacian She-Wolf 🐺
description

This was definitely spicy by default, but it still had some issues that I just couldn't get past.
I enjoyed the story itself, I really did, but I am about to say what I truly thought of The Trouble with Hating You.

First of all, by now I think it is pretty obvious that my favourite kind of trope is the hate-to-love one. There's no doubt, hands down the best trope. So, of course, I was excited about this (it has the word hate in the title, I a
♛ may
the biggest plot twist of the year is that i actually enjoyed this book bc phew after reading the first 10 chapters i was READY TO DITCH

The Trouble with Hating You is a hate-to-love romance about two very different characters. Liya is a very independent, outspoken, successful biochemical engineer and Jay is a charming, sweet, family-oriented lawyer.

Liya's parents want her to stop this independence nonsense and settle down with a nice indian boy and since she won't listen to their pleas, they tr
Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I haven't been reading as many romance novels lately, but THE TROUBLE WITH HATING YOU was such a great book to get back in to the genre with. It's one of the best romances I've read in a while, and part of that is because of a really great cast of supporting characters, but most of that is because I love, love, loved both the hero and the heroine of this romance: Liya and Jay.

Liya is a lead biochemical engineer that is in hot water. She
Chelsea
Sep 24, 2020 rated it did not like it
Repeat after me:
I'll never read this book to understand or have a deeper look at Indian culture.

If I ever have to pick a book, with a massive cultural and religious misrepresentation blunder, this one is it. I wanted to DNF it after reading 1st chapter only, but just had to see the extent of this fuck up.

It's like "5 most common stereotypes about Indians" was googled and somehow added in the book.
Also, their were many errors about Hinduism, I'm not even a religious person and still was able to
Jessica
4.5 stars.

TW for death of a loved one, abuse, and sexual assault.

This was so good! Such a good hate to love romance with a heroine who is determined to be a strong, independent woman. Liya pushes agains the norms of her cultural beliefs, so many people think the worst of her and say really awful things about her. It was really hard to read about so many people judging her just because she's not a virgin or because she chooses to live alone and have a successful career and not chase after a hus
preoccupiedbybooks
I'm starting my very first buddy read with the lovely Aoife💕 ...more
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)

Many thanks to Forever Pub for the free copy in exchange for an honest review
"More times than not, I was happy to come home to an empty apartment. Peace. Quiet. Freedom. I didn't have to answer to my parents or some man, or hurry to make dinner for anyone."

I really enjoyed this newest addition to the many Forever titles I have read. It was well-paced, dramatic, and romantic. It did have a few problematic/annoying tropes that I'll get into in a minute.

So, what's this book about?
Li
Renaissance Kate
May 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book comes out next week and I hope you add it to your reading list as soon as possible! This was such a fun read and I couldn’t put it down!

Liya is an ambitious biochemical engineer in Houston whose recent promotion has her working around the clock to ensure her company stays afloat. Ostracized by her rumor-mongering, conservative Indian community for being too “American”, Liya finds solace in her job and her close-knit group of girlfriends, each of whom faces expectations of her own. One
Nursebookie
May 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book for many reasons - I loved learning about Indian culture, and modern dating despite the strict tradition; enemies to love trope in a clean romance; nod to pride and prejudice; addressed important themes on sexual and emotional abuse; great side stories on amazing friendships and focus on families.

I gravitated to Liya and Jay’s non traditional way of meeting - despite the too frequent coincidences. It worked and made for a fun story with funny banters, but the word panties we
Aoife - Bookish_Babbling
I've really struggled to put together a review for this book. In fact I have lost sleep as my brain has whirred trying to piece together something semi-coherent. Massive apologies as I fear I may have failed to do so! 🙈
Let me start by saying this is not a bad book. In fact many have really enjoyed it and I hope you will too. It is just not the type of romcom I typically reach for. It was a little too dramatic towards the end & more fade to black than the steamy reads I prefer which is a pity as
Mai
May 19, 2022 rated it it was ok
Reading for AAPI month

I clearly didn't read the same book as the rest of y'all. Yes, y'all, because this is set in Houston. Was going to give the author 5 points to her Hogwarts house of choice, but the Houston hate/Dallas love was a minus.

Anyway. Some Indian reviewers suggested the author isn't Hindi. I kind of want to suggest she's not Texan. Jarred salsa? Really?

Okay anyway anyway. The South Asian stereotypes are strong with this one. The abusive father. A "man of religion" blaming the undera
Sunny ✨wordslikefury✨
I love this one ❤️ Need more Indian love stories in my life!
Maria
Mar 23, 2022 rated it did not like it
NO ONE EATS TACOS WITH FORKS AND KNIVES

DNF @ 45%

There were a lot of things that irritated me about this book.

The main characters were both annoying in their own way.

The female lead did quite a bit of slut shaming, was a terrible communicator, and made a lot of weirdly poor decisions. Who goes on a first date with a dead cell phone?

The guy lead was also an idiot who listened to rumors instead of talking to the source, which felt very juvenile and he had weird solutions for problems. If I was
Antonella
GENRE: contemporary romance
TROPES: enemies to lovers, workplace romance
TRIGGER WARNINGS: sexual assault when the heroine was a teen, emotional abuse, grief
HOTTIE METER: 3
SONG: M.I.A. Bad Girls

why more people aren't reading this book?
where are my romance contemporary readers at?

Liya is a hard person to warm up to. She is set in her ways and by the time you realize exactly why she is that way most of the readers won't like her.

And in case you need it spelled out. I LOVE IT!!!

Because she gives t
Tani
May 16, 2020 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Dnf @ 31%

Cultural misrepresentation at it's best.

Indian food is not equal to Indian culture. Thank you, next.

Buddy read with The Boss
richa
Jan 20, 2022 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1.5/5 ⭐
Hate it when they become enemies/haters for the most juvenile and misunderstood reason. Y'all need to come up with a genuine reason, this is not cute anymore.
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog
4,5 STARS

This was such a great story, I loved it from the very start till the end! Jay and Liya were both fantastic, I adored them!The storyline was fantastic with one of my favorite tropes enemies to lovers!

description

I connected with both characters and I find them cute and sweet.Liya is an amazing heroine, and Jay is swoon worthy!

The trouble with hating you is full of emotions , a great romance and the perfect amount of drama!I'm looking forward to read more books from this author!

Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Around Day 4,742 of lockdown I found myself getting a little burned out on reading and had to look for another way to pass the time instead. Oh, and for the first time in 20+ years I was living in a truly C.L.E.A.N. house and had a yard full of green grass and flowers so homegirl was truly in dire straits. That was the moment when I discovered . . . . .

The plethora of Indian romantic comedies on Netflix. Ummmmmm yes please. I’ll h
Lily Herman
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
There's no better feeling than seeing a book on NetGalley, getting intrigued, reading it with no outside opinions to bolster you beforehand, and falling in love with it on the spot.

That was the magic of reading Sajni Patel's debut novel The Trouble With Hating You.

Often new authors struggle to give their characters the space to really hate each other (I don't want people who only dislike one another for a chapter and then are in love!), but the simmering enemies-to-lovers storyline in this book
Mrinmayi
May 17, 2020 marked it as dnf
Dnf at 30%

I had high expectations going into this book and I was sooo disappointed 😔
It felt like any other Rom com with Indian characters
I expected more Indian culture in this book
But the representation felt flat
I think it might be a "its not you its me" situation
I am so done with the way lndian parents are focused in negative light in most of the books🙁

I got so uncomfortable while reading this book
Especially with the part how Liya's father reacted to her getting sexually assaulted 😡
I know the
~ prapti
Jan 20, 2022 rated it it was ok
the way the book started had my blood boiling but first, i'm gonna start with the good things.

i like the way Liya is portrayed in this book: brave, self-earning, able to speak up for herself etc, i also liked the friend group, it was good to see the mc have a social life instead of being alone/complete closed off in every way till her s/o. also how Jay stood up for her was pretty good and his mother was probably my favorite character.

the likeable annoying clichiest-cliché 🤚🏻🙄😮‍💨

what i liked much
Vee
May 13, 2020 rated it did not like it
Giving this book such a low rating physically pains me (considering how much I hyped it up in my head) but alas, here we are. Yet again mess from yet another contemporary desi author.

Let me preface my review by saying that despite this being yet another Indian-parents-set-up-an-arranged-marriage-meet-cute-that-doesn’t-work-out-at-first-but-they-still-fall-in-love-at-the-end plotline, I still decided to give it a shot because a) the cute cover because I like pretty things and b) the overwhelming
Bree Hill
"You should spend more time in the kitchen with your mother and learn how to cook. What will you feed your husband and children."
"A woman should be able to cook three fresh meals a day. You don't want your husband to starve."

"I'm sure if it came down to starvation, he could figure things out."

There is no way The Trouble With Hating You wouldn't be a five star read from me. The convo I mentioned above is a conversation between the heroine Liya and her Father and showcases a lot of what is going o
Syndi
Oct 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Now I know why this book has many good reviews. This book is such a delight. There are so many issues and moral messages in this book. This is romance book with a whole lot of punch.

I am not Indian and not familiar with their culture, but the matchmaking from family member is something I can relate to. This book put it with humor. Jay and Liya chemistry is off the chart. Miss Patel done a wonderful job putting a lot of fun and cute banter between them. Their banter makes this book alive. Deeper
Malene
Jun 16, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first book from Sajni Patel and what a wonderful story it was. An enemies to lovers romance done right. Lyia and Jay were amazing giving me glorious banter and delicious chemistry. I’m not a fan of fade to black but here the connection between these two was so palpable that I didn’t care there wasn’t any explicit intimate scenes and just one fade to black. I was so into Lyia and Jay’s blooming courtship. Also the secondary characters were terrific especially Jay’s family and Lyia’s girlfriend ...more
Laura ☾
Jun 07, 2020 rated it liked it
The Trouble With Hating You follows Liya and Jay, while they both struggle with their own demons and cultural expectations.

I feel like this book had so much potential in its premise, but the execution fell flat for me. While they both had their struggles, which could have been delved into more, they actually felt more like a plot device? And I struggled to really like either of the main characters somehow.

There were some lovely aspects - like the Shah's family dynamics and Liya's group of fema
b͓̽e͓̽l͓̽l͓̽a͓̽d͓̽o͓̽n͓̽n͓̽a͓̽  corrigan-logan-davenport-carstairs
4.5*
(side note the descriptions of food alone made me gain a couple pounds :o)
Renegade ♥
4 1/2 to 5 stars

"What are we doing?" she whispered.
"I don't know anymore."
"Why are you here?"
"You're not this quiet, lost person. Where did you go?" I cupped her cheek and searched her eyes for the vibrant, full-of-life fighter that was somewhere in there.
"Most people like me to shut up," she said quietly.
I grunted, "Not me. Where's the snarky, smart-mouthed, opinionated woman?"
"She's still here."
"I miss her," I confessed.
She craned her head back. "You miss that woman?"
"The world feels incomplet
Shreya
Recently I have been trying to read books with more Indian representation so I though I would give this book a chance. This book covered a lot of hard situations that characters were going though. Liya and Jay are so cute together! They both are able to help each other with difficult situations in their past. Liya also has a really close group of friends that support her through her tough times. There were some problems brought up in their lives that were never resolved, but overall this was a r ...more
Lisa (Remarkablylisa)
Full review to come!! I liked this one

• The Unhoneymooners
  • The Flatshare (The Flatshare, #1)
  • The Hating Game
  • The Fountains of Silence
  • The Deep & Dark Blue
  • The Plain Janes  - Omnibus Edition
  • Beard Science (Winston Brothers, #3)
  • Beard in Mind (Winston Brothers, #4)
  • Beauty and the Mustache (Knitting in the City, #4; Winston Brothers, #0)
  • Grin and Beard It (Winston Brothers, #2)
  • The Lies That Bind
  • Kill the Queen (Crown of Shards, #1)
  • Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City, #1)
  • Storm of Locusts (The Sixth World, #2)
  • Truth or Beard (Winston Brothers, #1)
  • The First Girl Child
  • My Fake Rake (Union of the Rakes, #1)
  • Network Effect (The Murderbot Diaries, #5)
See top shelves…
Sajni Patel is an award-winning author of women’s fiction and young adult books, drawing on her experiences growing up in Texas, an inexplicable knack for romance and comedy, and the recently resurfaced dark side of fantastical things. Her works have appeared on numerous Best of the Year and Must Read lists from Cosmo, Oprah Magazine, Teen Vogue, Apple Books, Audiofile, Tribeza, Austin Woman’s Mag ...more

The Trouble with Hating You (2 books)
  • First Love, Take Two (The Trouble with Hating You, #2)

Articles featuring this book

Finding the perfect book at the perfect moment can feel a lot like falling in love. Both experiences bring up those “I can’t take my eyes off of...
“The world is changing, and the older generation needs to keep up or shut up.” 12 likes
“Where are we?” she asked when I pulled into a parking lot.

“The park.”

“Isn’t it dangerous at night?”

“Not here. Come on.” I pulled her out of her seat and grabbed a blanket from the trunk before trekking through the soft grass.

“You always keep a blanket in your car?”

“Yeah, for emergencies. Never know when you might need it. Food, water, first-aid kit, too.”

“Oh!” she grunted and caught my arm as one of her heels pierced the soft dirt and sank.

“You should take those off.”

“And walk around barefoot? Hello? Ever heard of hookworms and tetanus?”

“Ever heard of snapping your ankles as you fall flat on your face in the dark?” I asked as I squatted in front of her and slipped her foot out of the high heels.

“What are you doing?” she gasped, tumbling forward and grabbing onto my shoulders for support.

“Removing your obstacles.”

She landed a bare foot on the grass as I undid the other shoe. “So now I get tetanus?”

I looked up at her, my hands lightly stroking her ankles up to her calves. “You worry too much.”

“It’s a real risk. Ask Preeti.”

I stood slowly, moving up her body, and hovered above her.

“How…how far are we walking?” she asked.

“To the river.”

“In the dark?”

I nodded and handed her the shoes.

“Took these off and you won’t even carry them?”

“I’ll carry them,” I replied, swooped down, and threw her over the blanket on my shoulder.

Liya yelped. “Put me down!”

“So you can get tetanus?” I asked and walked toward the river.

She laughed. “I hate you!”

“You love it.”

She slapped my butt and then poked her pointy elbows into my shoulder as she arched her back. “Enjoying the view of my backside from over there?”

I slid my hand up the back of her thighs and tugged her dress down to keep her covered.

“This isn’t so bad,” she said.

“Oh, yeah?”

“Yeah.” She slapped my butt again. “Giddyap!”

“All right. You asked for it.”

Her next words were swallowed up in a scream as I took off at a full sprint.

She gripped my shirt, clutching for my waist, as the breeze broke around us. I ran the short distance to the riverside in no time, slowing only when the moonlit gleam on the water’s surface appeared.

I placed Liya on the grass, but she swayed away. I grabbed her by the waist to steady her and chuckled. “Are you okay?”

“You try doing that upside down.”
7 likes