Start by marking “The Awkward Yeti Presents: How I Broke Up with My Colon: Fascinating, Bizarre, and True Health Stories” as Want to Read:

Fascinating, bizarre, and educational true-life medical stories retold in cartoon form by the creator of the bestselling Heart and Brain book series.

Mysterious illnesses. Freakish injuries. X-rays revealing something weird that got stuck in your foot. These strange but true stories are among the 24 medical tales retold in hilarious fashion by New York Times bestselling
Expected publication: March 24th 2020 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Awkward Yeti Presents, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Awkward Yeti Presents

Start your review of The Awkward Yeti Presents: How I Broke Up with My Colon: Fascinating, Bizarre, and True Health Stories
MischaS_
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love the Awkward Yeti. However, I always only followed the comics online; I did not read any of the previous books.
But I can certainly say that this is one of the best from online comics to a book I've ever read. I did not expect to get whole stories (over several pages long) instead of the usual short comic strips. And it was so well done. And I believe this is completely new content, I never saw any of these stories only before this.
Every chapter tells a story of a different person which is
Chad
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is one of those kind of books I loved reading as a kid. People tell their weird, true life stories of various injuries and ailments which Nick Seluk then illustrates. There's stories like the person who came up with a very odd way of stopping his diarrhea or the dummy who tried to trim his hedges with a lawnmower. If you like true tales of oddities and the strange, you'll like this book.

Received a review copy from Andrews McMeel Publishing and NetGalley. All thoughts are my own and in no
Elyse  Walters
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I needed one more graphic read this year to satisfy my appreciation for the artistic-love of comic-reality.

These were real medical stories from patients....
Gastrointestinal disorders... illnesses... and oddities.

Medical conditions, mysteries, painful physical challenges, chronic issues, are no joke....
however these stories were filled with humor and warmth and knowledge.

This was my first introduction with the author, Nick Seluk, and the Awkward Yeti.
I’m really impressed!!!!

Some very brilliant
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
I love The Awkward Yeti, so whenever I see that there's a new collection up on Netgalley, I jump to download it as soon as possible. I think this has to be one of my favorite works of Seluk's yet, even though it totally branches out from the usual style! Instead of a collection of short, humorous, silly comics, this is actually a collection of true medical stories that were submitted (mostly by patients, but sometimes by providers) and then dramatized through comics. They're still adorable and ...more
I love the Awkward Yeti, so thought this would be more of the usual humor that you see there.

It is not.

Instead, it is just as funny, and weird, and tells stories of medical conditions that turned out weirdly. Done in the same style as that of the Awkward Yeti, we hear stories of kidney stones, and moldy pancakes, and losing ones sense of smell.

Fun, but weird book.

Thanks to Netgalley for making this book available for an honest review.
♛ Garima ♛
Dec 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult, netgalley, comics
I liked Heart and Mind series by The Awkward Yeti, but this was somewhat less enjoyable. I think it is because of format. It is stories told by different people, most of them facing unusual medical emergencies.

This book would be more enjoyable if you have a medical background - like my dad. and not squirmish to see some gory stuff.
Emma Ferrier
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, age-misc
This was like a buzzfeed article in comic form and I LOVED IT. Some of these were funny and others, downright fascinating. I could have read fifty more editions quite happily!
Tzipora
I am a huge, huge fan of Nick Seluk and his incredible work as The Awkward Yeti. I have all of his other books and a whole bunch the organ related merchandise.I was so excited to see his upcoming book, How I Broke Up With My Colon, available on Net Galley.

This one is a little bit different from most of his organ related work. While previous books were focused on the anthropomorphic Heart and Brain and the endless battle between the two, and later he grew to focus more and more on a wider array
Kelly Long
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for providing this book in exchange for an honest review.
I have enjoyed the Awkward Yeti comics I have read before. This one was somewhat different from the others I've read but still has a lot of humor. I loved the artwork too.
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
This is different from most of the other Awkward Yeti comics that I've read. These are true medical stories of weird health problems, surgeries, and gross infections. They are told with funny jokes and drawings of cartoon body organs. The kidney makes stones, the colon is constantly grumpy, and the appendix is just misunderstood.

If you like weird health stories, then you would enjoy this quirky humor. I found it sort of nauseating to hear about all the nasty medical stuff.

Disclaimer: I received
Amanda
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This collection of weird medical comics is HILARIOUS. I cried laughing at the story called "Pancakes". Recommended for readers 16 years-old+ who aren't queasy about odd (and sometimes gross) stories.

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for a complimentary e-ARC in exchange for my honest review.
Crystal
How I Broke Up with my Colon is by Nick Seluk, of Awkward Yeti/ Heart and Brain comics/ Organ Attack card game fame. I love his comic collections, so I was super excited to get approved for an advanced copy of How I Broke Up with My Colon. As soon as I downloaded it, I started reading. The book is surprisingly easy to tear through without realizing it. A classic case of "just one more" turning into staying up past my bedtime and finishing the book without realizing it.

So the good news is that
India
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Bizarre, but fascinating!
Veronic
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for an ARC of this comic!

I love The Awkward Yeti!
I haven't read any of the previous book, but I've been following Seluk on IG for a while.
This collection of stories was great! These were real medical stories from patients and providers dramatized in the classic Awkward Yeti illustrations.
Some of these you couldnt imagine anywhere but on TV, others will make you laugh out loud.

Totally recommend!
Mehsi
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

I do love The Awkward Yeti's comics and so I couldn't resist this book about all sorts of health stories, I wasn't sure what to expect though, other than health and comics. :P Let me just tell you, my tumtum isn't happy with what he read. :P I would probably already have been feeling naesous reading about it, but also having graphics and illustrations made things a tad too much. That shell. OMG, ewwwwwwwwwwwwww, or that needle,
Ioanna
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing

The Awkward Yeti is back (and I couldn't be happier)!

How I Broke Up with My Colon is a collection of peculiar, funny, and -let's be honest - somewhat scary medical situations. The Awkward Yeti took those stories, illustrated them in the way we all know and love, and created a full comic that is so enjoyable you'll actually read it in one go. Extra points for the humorous comments inserted through
Raven Terry
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thanks NetGalley for this ARC, in exchange for an honest review. First, I love the Heart and Brain webcomics/memes and the Awkward Yeti. So, no surprise, I really enjoyed this! The stories were insane! The last story, Jesus SMH. I can’t wait until it’s available for order through our distributor!
Amanda Lee
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've seen Awkward Yeti comics online and loved them. This was a well done book that tells a story over a few pages.

The stories ranged from funny to the down right scary. I loved the comments added in throughout the stories, they really brought the humour.

If you're looking for something quick and funny, this is a must read.
Nancy
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, netgalley
This review can also be found on my blog: https://graphicnovelty2.com/2020/01/2...

Heart: Author and illustrator Nick Seluk has a new comic book coming out soon!

Brain: Well, Heart, it’s not about us- it’s about “fascinating, bizarre and true health stories”.

Colon: Stand back Heart and Brain, and let some other parts of the body take center stage in this comic book. In my chapter, The Breakup, I treat my human horribly and get removed.

Spine: Seluk illustrated 24 weird medical stories that
Shilpa
Jan 07, 2020 rated it liked it
This illustrated collection of real medical stories comes from the talented brain of Nick Seluk, creator of the The Awkward Yeti webcomic. You've probably seen his comics of anthropomorphized body parts like the heart and brain shared on your social media or re-posted on Reddit. If you haven't or are allergic to social media, he also has a book following the tales of Heart and Brain, eponymously titled Heart and Brain.

This book shifts focus to other parts of the body, with organs playing
Elizabeth
I've always enjoyed the Heart and Brain comics from the Awkward Yeti, so it wasn't surprising to find myself enjoying How I Broke Up With My Colon, even if it does veer away from the stuff we're used to.

Nick Seluk illustrates two dozen medical stories narrated to him by those who experienced them, ranging from the minor to the serious, the weird to the funny. The stories were often interesting and hilarious, and Seluk's style definitely adds to the humour. As someone with a lot of health issues
Jenny
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
I love the heart and brain as well as the awkward yeti, so I was very excited to read "How I broke up with my colon".

The style of those short stories is different since doctors or patients tell about what weird stuff happened themselves. So some of those are funny cos it's so weird that you think like nobody could have imagined those stories, but some other stories are just like "now, that's it?". The art is amazing like always and I really enjoyed reading one short story after the other, but
Cecille
Feb 03, 2020 rated it liked it
I am a fan of the Heart and Brain comics by The Awkward Yeti, a.k.a., Nick Seluk, so I was looking forward to reading his latest book, which I got from Netgalley.

"How I Broke Up With My Colon" illustrates interesting and often uncommon medical accidents and conditions, told in Seluk's unique brand of humor. You will see some of your favorite organs here, with a couple of new ones, all of them endearing. As a doctor many of the accounts depicted here made me laugh out loud, but you need not be a
Angela
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure really what to expect with this one (I just liked the cover so I requested it on Netgalley lol) but it turns out - I quite like it!

It's essentially a comic book and it tells all these true stories of several peoples illness/injuries. Every story is illustrated in a clever, catty way (white thought bubbles and all) and I love the twists of humor peppered in all throughout these serious events.

I really enjoyed this adult picture book and I bet you will too! 4 stars :)

Thanks
Preeti
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Leave it to Nick Seluk, aka The Awkward Yeti, to bring medical mysteries to life in such perfect, hilarious ways.

I have always loved the Heart and Brain comics, which highlight so well our inner struggle between the rational, responsible path (Brain) versus the fun, follow-your-emotions path (Heart). Seluk has also done several other comics in which he brings other organs and body parts to life (who doesn't love Gall Bladder trying so hard?!).

This book is sort of an extension of that, but it's
Pooja
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As usual, Nick Seluk nails it with this comic book. A pure delight to read and educational to boot, it’s not quite for the faint of heart, but still highly recommended. Seluk manages to turn otherwise horrific medical stories into humorous moments that you can’t help but giggle through. A few chapters in particular, one involving lawn mowers and the other with rubber cement, were noteworthy. I think I actually gasped out loud. You may shake your head once or twice but you’ll definitely want to ...more
Josh Hedgepeth
Check out my full review on my blog!

Special thanks to NetGalley and Andrews McMeel Publishing for providing me with a an electronic advanced copy (E-ARC) of this book for a fair and honest review.

Read 12/15/19 – 12/19/19

I was so delighted when the publishers approved me with the opportunity to review this. I am familiar with Nick Seluk’s comics online, so I was very intrigued by this concept. Much like the standalone comics he posts online, these are cute, funny, and surprisingly entertaining.
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Feb 19, 2020 rated it liked it
This is just my kind of book to relax and let my laughter boom!
Also, this is related to the medicos who see people of all kinds having weird diagnoses which the rest of the people would think that such things were made up and illustrated or written just for the sake of publishing a book.
The heck! These things described in the book are happening now and then in real. And that's why this book works content wise. The illustrations complement the diagnoses covered and yes, the book title is just
Toni_B_Librarian
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
How I Broke Up with My Colon collects "fascinating, bizarre, and true" stories of medical oddities, retold and illustrated by Nick Seluk, creator of webcomic The Awkward Yeti and the Heart and Brain book series. It's a humorous look at some of the many ways human bodies can be weird and at the weird things that can happen to human bodies.

The cartoon nature of the book--which includes anthropomorphized human organs wreaking havoc on their unsuspecting owners--ensures that even the most gruesome
Bunny
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Received via Netgalley in exchange for a fair and unbiased review.

I love the Awkward Yeti. I love these funny, silly, quirky comics about the body parts that plague us, and the ridiculous things they do that no one talks about.

But of all the comics I've read, all the books they've put out, this is hands down my favorite. Rather than a collection of Nick Seluk's online comic strip, this is a series of absolutely and utterly insane true stories of people's various bizarre situations involving
« previous 1 3 next »

• Snug: A Collection of Comics about Dating Your Best Friend
  • War and Peas: Funny Comics for Dirty Lovers
  • That Can Be Arranged: A Muslim Love Story
  • Les jours sucrés
  • Everything Is Beautiful, and I'm Not Afraid: A Baopu Collection
  • The Mrs. Frollein Collection: Small Hours
  • Bird Brain: Comics About Mental Health, Starring Pigeons
  • Snoopy: First Beagle in Space (PEANUTS AMP Series Book 14): A PEANUTS Collection
  • Break Your Glass Slippers (You Are Your Own Fairy Tale, #1)
  • Fowl Language: Winging It
  • Gudetama: Love for the Lazy
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • This Book Will Make You Fall Asleep
  • In Vitro
  • Doctor Mirage (2019)
  • Mexico - La Muerte (Agence Interpol #1)
  • Bury the Lede
Cartoonist behind The Awkward Yeti.
Current comic series include Heart and Brain, Lars, Medical Tales Retold, and a plethora of miscellaneous webcomics under The Awkward Yeti name.