Start by marking “Tallowwood (Tallowwood, #1)” as Want to Read:
Tallowwood (Tallowwood, #1)

Tallowwood

(Tallowwood #1)

Cold cases, murder, lies, and an unimaginable truth.

Sydney detective August Shaw has spent the last decade of work solving cold cases. Since the death of his boyfriend eight years ago, August works alone, lives alone, is alone — and that’s exactly how he likes it. His work is his entire life, and he’s convinced a string of unsolved cold-case suicides are linked to what cou
Published September 23rd 2019 by Amazon Digital Services LLC

To ask other readers questions about Tallowwood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tallowwood

Start your review of Tallowwood (Tallowwood, #1)
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
Because I adore N.R. Walker's work, I gave Tallowwood a go, even though murder mysteries have never been my thing and I'm not in a great place emotionally right now to read about death. My husband died recently. He wasn't murdered; he was sick for a long time, so his death wasn't entirely unexpected. But grief doesn't discriminate.

And this book is about grief, grief so deep and profound, it will break you if you let it. But it’s also about healing and loving again and listening to kookaburras b
Sheri
Damn, damn, damn.
I wanted to love this.....

....I didn't.
This was 85% mystery suspense and 15% romance.
Although I enjoyed the romance...I couldn't get into the police investigation. So, that was a problem.
I wanted to shut off my brain and go with it.
Because I really DID want to love it.
But there are times when knowing too much isn't in your favor (hello detectives wife) and this was one of them. And well, there was a whole lot of LEO (law enforcement officer) hating going on here. I face en
Jan
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, lgbtq, age-gap, ku
**** 4 stars ****

It's no secret I am not a fan of mystery. Therefore, I never thought I would say this, but I loved the mystery element in this story. It was intense, romance taking a back seat and I didn't mind one bit. I have to say, it bothered me in the beginning, I was thinking in 3 stars, but there was a crucial point in the story that made me get over it.

For the first time, in a plot where there is a serial killer involved, I felt emotionally connected with the victims' family. I don't
Martin
It all started with the cover. I mean how incredibly gorgeous is it?

description

I simply had to get that book based on that cover alone!

BUT I am also so blown away by the story, it's almost unreal.

As a romance, this book does everything right. Absolutely everything.

As a crime novel, it kept me on the edge of my seat, although I sincerely hope that such a plot is far away from reality, because the implications totally scared me.

In the course of 18 years, several gay men commit suicide by slitting their wris
Fabi
This book is two things:

1. A sweet second chance romance.
2. A hard core crime mystery.

This story does one thing very well:

1. Puts the reader in touch with the protagonist.

Detective August Shaw has lived through sorrow in his life. First, his family couldn't accept who he was.
"I’m better off without them. I couldn’t spend my life justifying myself and my own happiness. Like paying a toll for being myself and something I couldn’t change even if I wanted to. They wanted me to pay a toll or a tax
Tizerkane 13
Sep 10, 2019 rated it liked it
This book got ONLY 2 stars as a whole, but I gave it 1 whole star as an add-on, JUST for the epilogue!! The epilogue got a whole additional star (it was that deserving of it), which is essentially what saved this book from a bare-bones 2-star rating!! I REALLY appreciated the epilogue and it was the best part of the book; I especially appreciated Walker tying up all the lose ends, letting us know w hat the punishments are, and taking ZERO mercy ... THAT was the best part!! Also, it's great knowi ...more
Diana
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
N.R. Walker has done it again. Right from the start, I was sucked into the story, and falling for the very likable MC.

August Shaw is a veteran Sydney detective forced to work the cold case files. When a murder takes place in a small town, Senior Constable Jacob Porter reaches out to August for help. Right from the start, there is a connection between the hardened detective and the fresh young Porter. It doesn’t take long for Jake to breathe some fresh air into the cold heart of August and now th
Nazanin
Oct 19, 2019 marked it as lost-interested
DNF @ 20%
It's too slow for my taste.
BWT (Belen)
Wow!

Tallowwood absolutely sucked me in from the beginning, but about midway through I became riveted and couldn't put it down.

The suspense is expertly woven into the story, heightening the tension perfectly. It's a great plot, great characters, and a great ending.

Dual, third person, POV with a captivating plot, suspense, some action, and a very happy ending.

Recommended!

Advanced Review Galley copy of Tallowwood provided by NR Walker in exchange of an honest review.

This review has been cross-p
Meep
Started good, got RIDICULOUS, then simply BAD ..and kinda preachy with it.

The Good -
- I really liked the characters; solitary August and the more social Indgienous Jacob. Their romance is low key and gradual with noticing and gentle teasing before anything deeper develops. Comforting and suiting the characters mental place.
- Enough of victims family shown to make the case feel important, although not much detail given we know the victims matter.
- I enjoyed the glimpse of Aborginal culture, slig
Jewel
4.5 Stars

I truly enjoyed Tallowwood. I love suspense and I love NR Walker's story telling and Tallowwood was damn near perfect. And while there are a couple things that would have increased my enjoyment of this story, it was so well done and I'm definitely recomending it.

August Shaw is a detective in Sydney who works cold cases. He has very personal motivation to do his job and he hates that so many people haven't gotten justice. He's a loner on the force, keeping to himself and working his case
Ariana
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
*4,25 stars*

I went into this unsure of what to expect. Some readers loved it, others weren’t overly awed. All I can say is …I ended up in the first camp. Easily.

August and Jake really grabbed my heart.

They are total opposites in many respects:

August – a recluse with no friends and no mentionable human contact living in a “self-imposed exclusion zone”, emotionally dead and disinterested, sad and withdrawn from the world.
Jake - a ray of warmth and sunshine, outgoing and hugely likeable, a touchy-f
Lyn❤Loves❤Listening #AUDIOBOOKADDICT
Audio 4.25 Stars..Antony Ferguson did a great job.

Story 4.25 Stars

All I can say is that I'm glad for the #1 in the title because that means this will be a series. 😍
Renée
Sep 25, 2019 rated it liked it
This had the backbone to be an amazing book for me.

The mystery was top notch. I love a good serial killer story, and this one delivered.

However - two things really got under my skin, and I had to decrease my rating. I would've given this 4.5 stars otherwise.

1. One of the MCs, who was a brilliant detective, whip-smart, and had already been wary of a certain someone up to this moment had a huge TSTL moment near the end. It was the equivalent of running back into the house where the killer was, w
Christelle
NR Walker is among the authors I read the most. She’s very diverse in the subplot but the romance is always up front and center and there is a lot of sweetness, low to no angst, a lot of chemistry and some steam even hotness.

Well, it’s good to be surprised...in a good way :-).
Tallowwood is a tiny bit different in that this time, even though the romance is still there with top notch characters, but the hotness is low-key with more angst than usual and the subplot, a well-done murder mystery, is
Snjez
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it

I thoroughly enjoyed this story.

The writing was fantastic, the mystery part was done well, but what really grabbed me the most were the characters.

I loved August and Jake. Jake is such a sweetheart and an overall wonderful person and I couldn't imagine anyone better for August. Reading about them working together and growing closer was such a joy, and I think it was done perfectly. There weren't many romantic moments, but I didn't feel I was missing anything.
Also, I have to mention J
Lisazj1
4.5 stars! I really loved this. Cop stories are some of my favorites and this was so good! I'll admit that not enough time was spent on the romance but I can't be mad. There doesn't have to be a lot of romance for me if the story is great and the murder investigation was top-notch, I loved it. Just as incredible though was the developing relationship with Jake and August while they chased a killer through years of unsolved crimes.

I was very happy where this ended but if N.R. Walker decides to t
Meags
5 Stars

I’m a year late to this book party but I’m of the mind that sometimes it’s worth saving certain reads for the exact right time and mood. Which is serendipitously what happened for me here.

I absolutely devoured Tallowwood. As a long-time fan of N.R. Walker, I knew the odds were in my favour that I’d like this story a fair bit—yet, I was unexpectedly blindsided by the high degree to which I found myself engrossed in this story, knowing full-well, within a matter of pages, that this was goin
Jennifer☠Pher☠
So, I'm not much of a TV watcher but I will put it on for background, and when I do, it is always on the ID channel. But ,before, I used to be a huge TV watcher and always gravitated to Criminal Minds or CSI type shows.

To say I have a thing about death and crime would be correct. It's weird how much I love to read romance...but anyway...I do still love a good mystery book especially with a side of murder. Serial Killer? SIGN ME UP! Even seeing reviews that there was very little romance wasn't a
Annika
Reviews don't need to be coherent, right? Because after that intense ride I'm anything but. My heart is still pounding and I'm honestly a bit shaky from the adrenaline rush, but wow what a great night I've had with this book! I wished it would never end, but as they say; all good things must come to an end. So here I am, trying to explain how much I loved this book. Loved Jacob and August.

When I read that N.R. Walker was writing a mystery I was over the moon. It was a dream come true. I’m a
Deborah
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’ve read several books by this author. I’ve enjoyed them all but they have all been sweet romances. Romance has taken the starring role. This one is different. Here the story. The murders. Take centre stage and for the most part it worked really well.

I loved both August and Jake. August is emotionally damaged and it’s hard to imagine what life’s been like for him. Jake is the perfect balance and manages to bring August back to life.

I loved this book I really did but...

Seriously it can’t ever be
Steven
I really really enjoyed this one. The main reason I deducted a star is because there was ONE very unbelievable moment, near the end. If you read it, you'll know what it is. The smart, on top of it cop wouldn't make such a stupid mistake.

But overall, I really adored this book. NR Walker is so great!
Chris
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was brilliant... I could not put this book down ! Clever writing, a fabulous thriller with so many twists and two beautiful characters that made for a great romance. This was not hot / erotic but more of a slow burn romance... the thrill and pace was in the crime solving, like peeling an onion! Loved it ❤️
Daphne
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Update: yep. Read it and loved it. Five stars stays!

Rating before reading solely to balance the one star from a random who also didn’t read this. I’ve yet to read a NR Walker book that I didn’t absolutely adore so my odds are good that the five will stay!
haletostilinski
4.5 Happily Given Stars!

I do have to say this is one of Walker's best.

Full RTC...

~*~

So, I'm a big fan of the combination of romance/murder mystery. Give me a good romance that carries the story of the murder mystery and you've got me pretty much hooked (+ good writing as well, of course).

So Walker + romance + murder mystery? Sign me the fuck up!

And this was so so good. I think it balanced the romance and murder pretty close to perfectly. There was not a lot of steam in this and I was not expec
Danny Tyran
I'd have given ten stars to this novel (I know, we can't) until the author made Jake do something so stupid that even the dumbest cop in the whole world (and there are a lot of stupid cops, I know that) would NEVER do it. (view spoiler) ...more
Eugenia
A complete disappointment! Slow and tedious! 1.5 Stars.

Forced. I forced myself to finish this book by one of my favorite authors.

It was so slow, so repetitive, so emo. It was bad. Really. I feel bad about saying this.

At one point I wondered if this was an unedited draft mistakenly submitted as the final copy. I even wondered if someone else wrote it. Ugh.

Only the thought that the story might improve since it’s an author I like kept me going. I should have DNF’ed this book early on.

There’s a
Lelyana

WOW! THIS BOOK! I CAN SAY THIS ONE WAS THE BEST OF NIC WALKER SO FAR!.

I was hooked since the first chapter, loving every minutes following Jake and August's journey of solving a mystery. Not just a mystery, but one with a very personal intact.
I have no words how to described this gem, it was just I was mesmerized by Nic Walker's writing this time, more that any other books she had written.
I was just cannot put this book down, and upset when work interrupted it.

Tallowwood was a fast
~Volha~
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was absolutely fantastic! A must read! The story is simply riveting, the plot twists are numerous and unexpected, the characters are complex and real, the feelings the story evokes are intense. Told from dual POV it's full of angst and raw pain, mildly steamy and with detailed investigative work that shows both characters as consummate professionals and decent human beings. This is a story of healing, letting go and taking a chance.

August Shaw, cold case detective from Sydney, and Jacob Po
Gabi
After I got through the infodump at the beginning, I started to like it. We're introduced to August. He's the dark and mysterious type. He's investigating a series of killings that no one believes was a work of the same killer. I find that odd because the clues were so damn obvious, even if every cop is corrupt and homophobic, they wouldn't be able to outright ignore these cases. And to me this was the biggest flaw of the book. I wasn't convinced.

August gets partnered up with a young cop, Jacob
The Backlot Gay B...: Tallowwood, by N.R. Walker 1 8 Feb 19, 2020 04:39AM
Turning Pages At ...: Tallowwood (M/M Buddy Read) by N. R. Walker 48 24 Oct 15, 2019 01:26PM

• Ground Zero (Zero Hour, #1)
  • The Mysterious and Amazing Blue Billings (Black and Blue #1)
  • Best Man (Close Proximity, #1)
  • Devil's Hour (Zero Hour, #2)
  • Principles of Spookology (The Spectral Files, #2)
  • Rocket Science (Love Logic #1)
  • Flash Rip
  • What Lies Beneath (Lancaster Falls Trilogy, #1)
  • How to Vex a Vampire (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes, #1)
  • Off Duty (Hazard and Somerset)
  • The Hitman's Guide to Staying Alive Despite Past Mistakes (The Hitman's Guide #2)
  • Rushing In (Ace's Wild, #3)
  • Ripples & Waves: A Queer Retelling of Hans Christian Andersen's The Little Mermaid
  • The Christmas Deal
  • Slow Birth (Heat of Love #2.5)
  • Deosil (Whyborne & Griffin #11)
  • Dine with Me
Author also writes as A. Voyeur

N.R. Walker is an Australian author, who loves her genre of gay romance. She loves writing and spends far too much time doing it, but wouldn't have it any other way.

She is many things; a mother, a wife, a sister, a writer. She has pretty, pretty boys who she gives them life with words.

She likes it when they do dirty, dirty things...but likes it even more when they fa

News & Interviews

“You just need someone who knows how your puzzle goes back together.” 2 likes
“He would have been so happy. He should have been alive to see that, to celebrate it. They all should have lived long enough to see that. And to see gay politicians, out and proud. Or gay superhero movies, gay couples on primetime TV. He should have been alive to see that. That was stolen from him, from them all.” 2 likes