Start by marking “Waiting for Godalming” as Want to Read:
Waiting for Godalming

Waiting for Godalming

(Barking Mad Trilogy)

God's other son, Colin, who was edited out of the Bible when Jesus got artistic control, is a bit pissed off. Well wouldn't you be, with your brother stealing the lime-light like that? But now God's been murdered, and there's no way Colin's gonna let the meek inherit the Earth. He's in charge now.
Published April 1st 2001 by Transworld Publishers (first published October 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Waiting for Godalming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Waiting for Godalming

Mezino
Dec 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
My wife hates it when I read these books. As I start talking "toot" afterwards.

e.g Wife "She's a parody of herself"

Me "I could have a parody it could sit on my right shoulder and ask for crackers."

Oh how I laughed!
Katie
May 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Robert Rankin is what would happen if a freak accident combined Christopher Moore and Neil Gaiman. Brilliant.
Sean Keefe
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good Rankin. Lazlo Woodbine, Jesus, and many brothers. And get a woman to say the word “Plinth”. It’s wonderful.
Alison
Feb 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Waiting For Godalming by Robert Rankin tells the story of Lazlo Woodbine’s (the greatest detective on earth) greatest case ever – solving the mystery surrounding the murder of God. Yes, that’s right God. The Prime suspect? God’s other son – Colin. Who hired him to investigate this matter? God’s wife. And before I forget there’s the Holy Guardian Sprout called Barry living inside his head.

As well as this, there is a second storyline with main character Icarus Smith, who has chosen the
Lauren Smith
Jun 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, humour
The blurb about Jesus and his brother Colin on the Goodreads page for this book has to be the most misleading blurb I've ever read. It's all mostly true, but it has a much, much smaller role to play in the novel than you would expect. Colin has about five lines and Jesus only comes in at the end.

What this book is actually about it the mystery of who killed God and why, and it all plays out on earth. The famous genre detective Lazlo Woodbine (who some call Laz) is on the case. It's a
Evilynn
Sep 24, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009
Humour and comedy is hard. So's intertextuality. I've got an odd sense of humour to say the least, and while I love intertextuality, I only love it if it is done unintrusively, so you can read and appreciate the story even if you don't get all the little nudgenudgewinkwinkknowwhatImeanknowwhatImeans, I also really hate when an author does this: "You could wait for Mr Godalming. Get it? Waiting for Godalming, as in Waiting for Godot. That's a good 'un, eh?". I also hated 'Waiting for Godot' with a passion, which I g ...more
Sars
Jun 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: genre-fantasy
To be honest, I think this book deserves closer to 3.5 stars. I couldn't quite bring myself to give it 4 stars, though, so I rounded down.

It's good, not great. The story is unique and interesting. The characters are well-drawn out. Overall, I enjoyed it and I will give Robert Rankin another go.

What made it impossible for me to give it that 4th star was the over-the-top 1950s-esque American detective story style that roughly half the book is written in. I found it very dif
Julie
Aug 27, 2012 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Nobody
Recommended to Julie by: Amazon Free Sci Fi feed
I gave up on this book after the first few chapters when I found myself not in the least bit interested about going back to it. It's supposed to be humourous, but I'm afraid it didn't raise so much as a wry smile from me. It just feels like the author is trying too hard and failing.
Dave Higgins
Oct 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Copy of my Launchpad review from 2001:
God is dead. The Meek have not inherited the Earth.
But, nobody panic, Lazlo Woodbine is on the case.
Robert Rankin revives his homage to film noir in another hilarious trip to Brentford.
Flo Mair
Der größte Fall aller Zeiten! Gott ist tot und seine Frau möchte wissen warum... sowas von lustig geschrieben, spannend und extrem unterhaltsam! Sehr Empfehlenswert wenn man skurile Charaktere und Storys mag!
Mollie
Feb 25, 2009 marked it as wishlist
Waiting for Godalming by Robert Rankin (2001)
Michaela
Andibabes
Jun 10, 2014
Iain
Jun 21, 2012

• Overtime: Introducing the greatest performer of all time and a half
  • Im Morgengrauen. Unheimliche Geschichten (Skeleton Crew 2 of 3)
  • Total Verhext / Einfach Göttlich
  • Der Dativ ist dem Genitiv sein Tod: Noch mehr Neues aus dem Irrgarten der deutschen Sprache (Der Dativ ist dem Genitiv sein Tod, #3)
  • The Soddit: Or, Let's Cash in Again
  • The Throwback
"When Robert Rankin embarked upon his writing career in the late 1970s, his ambition was to create an entirely new literary genre, which he named Far-Fetched Fiction. He reasoned that by doing this he could avoid competing with any other living author in any known genre and would be given his own special section in WH Smith."
(from Web Site Story)

Robert Rankin describes himself as

Barking Mad Trilogy (3 books)
  • Sprout Mask Replica