Start by marking “Rocket Says Look Up!” as Want to Read:
Rocket Says Look Up!

Rocket Says Look Up!

Meet Rocket--a plucky aspiring astronaut intent on getting her community to LOOK UP! from what they're doing and reach for the stars in this auspicious debut picture book.

A comet will be visible tonight, and Rocket wants everyone to see it with her--even her big brother, Jamal, whose attention is usually trained on his phone or video games. Rocket's enthusiasm brings n
Published June 25th 2019 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Rocket Says Look Up!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rocket Says Look Up!

Start your review of Rocket Says Look Up!
Ken
Aug 05, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Waterstones Children's Book Prize winner 2020.

Young Rocket is completely obsessed with space, so much so that her hero is Mae Jemison.
Rocket is so excited about a forthcoming meteor shower that she will talk about it to everyone.
This picture book has some really nice 'Did you know' facts inserted early on in the story.

The story also follows her brother Jamal who is constantly looking down at his phone, the book then takes a weird turn and hammers home the message of constantly looking at a phone
Filipa
Jul 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So amazing! Rocket 's energy flies off the page and leaves you ready to pursue your own adventure. ...more
Abigail
Jun 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Young Stargazers & Would-Be Astronomers
Young would-be astronomer Rocket looks forward to the upcoming Phoenix Meteor Shower in this charming new picture book from British actor Nathan Bryon. Practically beside herself with excitement, she invites everyone in the neighborhood to join her at the local park on the evening in question. The only person who remains indifferent is her elder brother Jamal. Or does he? When it seems as if the meteor shower is a bust, he proves he has observed a few things, when not looking at his phone...

I'm
Racheal
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Wait, so the point of this book in the end is cellphones are bad? I'm very confused. It's a book about an adorable little girl who's super knowlegable about space and is super pumped to see an asteroid shower. I love that! But then it kind of morphs into a PSA to older kids/teens to stop looking at their cellphones and live in the now..? :/

Overall the illustrations are totally adorable, but the story loses focus and goes a little too what if phones, but too much for my tastes
Amanda
4 stars for outer space/science stuff and for realistic portrayal of siblings/family relationships
2 stars for PSA on cell phones (a little too didactic and preachy for me)
3 stars total

Loved the enthusiasm and the illustrations, which were adorbs. Bit long in the telling. Yes, we should be encouraged to be aware and participatory of the world around us, but please don't bash me over the head with the message.
The Library Lady
!!!!!!!!

You could have drinking game for every time this book uses the above symbol.

And if I had a dollar for every recently published book about an African American girl that references Mae Jemison, I could buy a nice bottle of sangria at Costco, unless I wanted each book to be a GOOD book. Because it has almost become a red flag to me when I pick up a book.

This is preachy (and BTW, you can use that cell phone to get a compass app or a tracking app from NASA, both of which would have been usefu
Susan
Jan 13, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Three stars to balance out the adorable illustrations and potential with the weird meandering story. Way too much chastising the older brother for looking at his phone. I thought it was going to be more about this cute girl who loves space but... it was just... weird.
KDV
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this with some 6 & 7 year olds who ate it up! Rocket is awesome: smart, fun-loving, brave AND she has a killer victory dance (at the end of the book, the kids in my group took turns inventing their own victory dances!!!)
This book covers so many important topics! STEAM and outer space, sibling relationships, community, being present instead of glued to your device... it even introduces Mae Jemison! So good. I'm so glad there are more and more books coming out that feature black and brown c
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Rocket is eagerly looking forward to the arrival of a meteor shower, and she gets her whole community interested in observing its arrival. Her brother Jamal, always on his phone, is most reluctant to accompany her to the sighting. It's a long wait, but finally Rocket tells everyone to look up, and the group enjoys a most amazing view.

You can't help but love Rocket and her enthusiasm for all things space. Even Jamal can't help but join in.
Robin Stevens
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny, informative and just downright delightful, this is pretty much a perfect picture book about one girl's quest to make her brother look up at the world around him. I loved it, and I'm recommending it to everyone this Christmas. (1+)

*Please note: this review is meant as a recommendation only. If you use it in any marketing material, online or anywhere on a published book without asking permission from me first, I will ask you to remove that use immediately. Thank you!*
Ella
This would be a great book to read to lower KS2 or KS1 children when learning about space. Rocket loves space and wants to be an astronaut when she’s older. I here are lots of facts about space and meteor showers in the book, including about the first women in space. The book also has lots of links to sibling relationships which is likely to be relatable for many children.
Jonathan
Aug 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
Perfect for children excited by what happens in the night skies, and the possibilities of looking up and around, rather than down (at a mobile/cell phone). Quite a bit more text than is often found in a picture book and lots of meteor shower facts for these who like to learn while they are reading or being read to.
Woody Chichester
Love love loved this! This picture book packs in so many important things! Rocket loves space and science and her enthusiasm is infectious! She has an older brother who can't peel himself away from his phone. Family stuff, Stem/science/space stuff, More books like this, please! ...more
Christina Reid
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A brightly-illustrated and fun book about a little girl who is so enthusiastic about astronomy that she inspires her community to look up from their phones and the mundanity of everyday lives in order to watch a meteor shower.
Nick Swarbrick
May 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I could grow to like Rocket and Jamal, although the text was a little heavy-handed for me - and I’m maybe too old fashioned to find this new style of illustration much more than generic. But there are flashes of real creativity in the art work - as when everyone turns to Rocket in the park - and the loving/impatient nature of the brother-sister relationship seems wholly believable.
Alice Bennett
This is a great picture book about an imaginative girl who aspires to be an astronaut. She is desperate for everyone to look up at the sky as a comet that will be visible in the sky tonight! The book contains interesting facts about space and astronauts that children would find interesting and would open up the potential for brilliant science discussions among the class. I loved the representation of BAME in the book as Rocket is a fantastic and inspiring black female role model for all children ...more
I love the illustrations in this book so much! The interactions between the girl and her brother are priceless. And such an awesome story - this is a new favorite!
Emily
I may be extra emotional today but this almost made me cry.
Really lovely story about aspirations, perseverance, and familial bonding.
Bristol Library
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Rocket was born on the day a famous rocket launched into space and she aspires to be just like Mae Jemison, who was the first African-American woman to go to space. However, while she's looking up at the stars, those around her are looking down at their phones. Rocket decides to bring the whole neighborhood together to watch a meteor shower and, in the end, people realize the importance of looking up!

Great illustrations that show the difference between children and adults (hey, adult, remember t
Faridah Àbíké-Íyímídé
I deffo needed this book growing up - will be getting several copies for my cousins.
Mary Ann
Love the energy, enthusiasm and voice
Kareena
Love the illustrations and the overall message, but it's just so preachy.... ...more
Zezee
Aug 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Rocket Says Look Up! was a fun read. It’s about a Black girl called Rocket, who wants to be an astronaut like Mae Jemison (the first Black woman to travel into space). When the story begins, Rocket is excited about an upcoming meteor shower. She tells everyone in her community about it and hopes that her older brother, who will take her to the park to see the meteor shower, will put his phone away and enjoy the experience with her.

It’s a sweet story (yep, that’s my “go to” description for pictur
Anthony
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
A young girl named Rocket, who loves the idea of space and one day becoming an astronaut convinces all the people in her neighborhood to join her in the park for the viewing of The Phoenix Meteor Shower. Her biggest challenge is to get her older brother Jamal, who is always looking down at his phone to look up and witness the sight. There are many facts about space, and science throughout the story.
Kellee Moye
A favorite favorite favorite book of Trent's now. Rocket knows that presence is important and that the world around her and in space is beautiful. Others won't listen and she almost lets defeat get to her, but her brother steps up and so does the universe.  ...more
naz
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful story with beautiful artwork!
Rebekah
Books featuring female, BAME characters as their main protagonist are rare, but books that feature female, BAME protagonists that are obsessed with space and science are even more rare, which is why this book is such a gem.
Rocket was named as such because of the rocket that flew into space on the day she was born, and ever since she has had a fascination for space and the stars. When she finds out that the Phoenix Meteor Shower will be seen overhead, she can’t help but spread the word to everyo
Katie
Dec 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Who hasn't been excited to share an experience, but frustrated when someone else is paying attention to their phone? This is such a great story about a little girl who is super excited about space, and especially an upcoming meteor shower. Rocket hands out flyers, inviting neighbors to join her and her brother at the park to view the light show. I thought at first we would find out the brother had been spending so much time on his phone inviting people to join them at the park but turns out he w ...more
Samantha
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks
Rocket is a little girl obsessed with the night sky and outer space. She can’t stop talking about it and wants the world to share in her enthusiasm. The Phoenix Meteor Shower is coming right up, and Rocket passes out flyers to all her friends and announces it at the local grocery store. All of this is much to the embarrassment of her older brother, Jamal. Can she get him to stop looking at his phone and look up?

This book is great for any family that has a child who is obsessed with a particular
Diane
“I’m so happy we LOOKED UP and saw them together.”

Her nickname is Rocket because the day she was born, a famous rocket blasted of into space. And Rocket loves looking up to see the stars and is determined that one day she will be an “astronaut, star catcher, space walker” like her hero Mae Jemison.

But first? Rocket wants to experience the Phoenix Meteor Shower and she invites everyone within earshot to join her at the park. Her brother, Jamal, has promised to take her ... but he is always lookin
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• You Are Home: An Ode to the National Parks
  • A Way with Wild Things
  • I Got Next
  • I Am a Wolf
  • Cece Loves Science and Adventure (Cece Loves Science, #2)
  • Freedom Soup