Start by marking “Between Mom and Jo” as Want to Read:
Between Mom and Jo

Between Mom and Jo

Nick has a three-legged dog named Lucky, some pet fish, and two moms who think he's the greatest kid ever. And he happens to think he has the greatest Moms ever, but everything changes when his birth mom and her wife, Jo, start to have marital problems. Suddenly, Nick is in the middle, and instead of having two Moms to turn to for advice, he has no one.
Nick's emotional st
Published May 1st 2006 by Megan Tingley Books

To ask other readers questions about Between Mom and Jo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Between Mom and Jo

Thomas
Although my parents are heterosexual, Between Mom and Jo still spoke to me personally. As someone who wishes to have children with a male partner one day, it was saddening to read about how Nick had to put up with the taunting and teasing of his peers.

Looking at it positively, at least he had two loving parents who supported him through it. All his life, he’s known Mom and Jo would be there for him. They’ve gone through tough times together, battling alcoholism, cancer, and death. Which makes it
Kricket
I really enjoy the premise of this book: Nick has two moms, and they're splitting up. Thus, Nick faces all of the same problems a child of divorce would face- (point: it's the same thing, people!) with the added hardship of being ostracized by others because of his parents. It's especially complicated because his "non-biological" mom didn't officially adopt him, and his other mom tries to keep them apart.

This was all wonderfully written, but the book is very sad. It put me into a weepie funk.
Daria
Dec 02, 2010
Evan
Oct 11, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes YA/Julie Anne Peter's work
The book started off kinda weird for me because the narrator was like 4 or 5 but the voice sounded old. I think by books end he was like 13 but he still sounded much older. Like maybe looking back on his life. Either it wasn't clear or I didn't get it. The main character's name is Nick. He has two moms. His biological mother is Erin. She's studying to be a lawyer. His other mom is Jo, who at the beginning drinks to much but then promises Nick to stop and keeps her word. Jo is always in an out of ...more
Angie
Apr 09, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: teen
Written from a 14 yr old boy's perspective, this book tells the story of his childhood with his two lesbian moms. Ultimately his moms split and Nick must deal with the grief of split family and the possibility of never seeing his mom, Jo, again.
The voice in the book is powerful and authentic. Nick is so honest. This story brings to light an issues that is all too often ignored when one parent does not have legal rights to the child she has raised and the struggles that plague gay couples who ha
Stefani
Oct 19, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-teen
Erin
Mar 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yafiction
Nick's life has always revolved around himself, his mother, and her wife Jo. Over the years, he's gotten used to the taunting from his classmates - the boys calling him "fag" and making fun of his mothers. He's even experienced discrimination from his friends' parents and his teacher in elementary school. The one thing that makes him feel better is his mother's promise - that the three of them will always be together, no matter what.

Nick isn't prepared when the floor falls out from beneath him.
Courtney
Aug 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: mature readers
Recommended to Courtney by: Mark Letcher
This book was intense for me. I think it's because Peters does such a great job of making the reader identify with Nick, the main character of the story. The novel begins with Nick's earliest memory of his mother, Jo. As the story progresses through time, the reader realizes that they share a bond. A bond that gets severed when his "real" mother, Nick's biological mother and Jo's life partner, decides she no longer wants to be with Jo, and that Nick belongs to her. As Nick reminisces, the reader ...more
Madeline
Mar 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtq, ya, realism
Between Mom and Jo is the first of Julie Anne Peters's books I've picked up in a few years. I've been avoiding her books for a while, because I was afraid that now that I'm 24, the magic of her stories would be gone. I was afraid that they wouldn't speak to me like they did when I was 14, and in a way I was right--reading her books now is not the lifeline it was when I was so young. But that doesn't mean her books have lost their magic or their realness.

Between Mom and Jo is a phenomenal story a
Isabelle Sanchez
Between Mom and Jo, is also my favorite book. It has all that a book needs; conflict, LOTS of DETAILS, and a solution. But somehow this book seems as if it has more than it needs. This book made me think about how some boys cut themselves because they think that their lives suck, or how some boys have 2 moms, or 2 dads. It made me open my eyes to those that don't have what I do or what others have.

This book talks about this boy named Nick. Nick has two moms and he knows that they are lesbian. At
Reyn
Jan 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook, gay
There are moments when you pull back and recognize you are experiencing a magnectic moment of bliss. Often, these moments are benign and seemingly throwaway to most people, but signify a real turning point in your life. Nick experiences this revelation during a summer day spent with his two moms.

Nick is the product of Erin and Jo, a lesbian couple composed of an ambitious lawyer and an untethered handy-woman. Nick loves his two moms, considering his family a happy unit as they navigate alcholism
Elisabetta
Mi aspettavo decisamente di più.
Di questo libro mi sono rimaste impresse alcune frasi un po’ amare testimoniavano il carattere forte di Nick, il protagonista, altrimenti un personaggio troppo piatto.

Nick ha due mamme, Erin e Jo. Partendo solamente da questo, c’è una marea di argomenti che si possono trattare, peccato però per lo stereotipato personaggio di Jo trasformato in tutto e per tutto in un uomo (beve troppo, fa un lavoro da uomo, pratica sport maschili…) che ha rovinato tutto.

“Ciò che a
Jo Sorrell
Mar 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Between Mom and Jo is the story of a boy named Nick and his two moms, Erin and Jo. The book starts when Nick is three, and we get to see Nick grow up thinking that having two moms is completely normal. In fact, his parent’s sexuality isn’t even the main focus of the book. Though their family faces many hardships (including alcoholism and cancer) Erin and Jo promise Nick that the three of them will always be together.

But one day, when Nick is fourteen, Erin starts an affair with another woman. Th
laaaaames
I didn't love the structure (I think I like well-done flashbacks over a giant timeline that lets a writer merely focus ONLY on the important stuff; I think it's a much easier way and therefore inherently not as rewarding), and, godDAMN is this a depressing one. But there are still a lot of interesting and thought-provoking issues explored here. Agree with the reviewer who said there are some huge missed opportunities with regard to class/privilege, etc.

Fair warning: if you love animals this book
Michelle
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book is two things that don’t fit well together: a tween narrative about a kid managing with his divorcing moms and the birth mom’s new gf, and a psychodrama about a lesbian couple breaking up and struggling with raising their son. Both threads had one terrible ending. Not terrible sad, but terrible unrealistic and way over-simplified. It’s all narrated by the tween son who couldn’t possibly have the emotional maturity to narrate the mom’s stories.
Melody
Sep 15, 2007 rated it really liked it
Compelling story of the dissolution of a marriage from the POV of Nick, a 14-year-old boy. His moms' relationship has come apart at the seams, and he wants to live with his non-biological mom. Dwells a little too much and too long on Nick's depression for comfort, and it's hard to believe (she says self-servingly) that a mother could ever be so clueless about her kid. Overall a solid book.
Bea
Jul 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Nick loves Jo but Jo and his mom break up. This book is heart-wrenching as Nick struggles to understand and to express his own need for love without rejecting either one. I liked this book in that it got me engaged in a subject I usually avoid and showed the humanity of a difficult situation.
Grace
Worth the read, but didn't quite meet my expectations. While I liked the overall premise of the book and there were some genuinely lovely moments in it, there were a lot of things that were just good without developing enough to pack the punch that we could have gotten.

My overall feeling on the characters is that they all started out great, but did not get fleshed out as much as they deserved. The character development felt a bit stilted and unfulfilled, which made it hard to sympathize with the
Mike
2.5/5

Oh, Julie Anne Peters. Must you confound me so?

Look, I want to like Peters, I really do. The author of the first book about a transgendered person in all of YA should deserve praise, and she's truly not a bad writer. She tries to break more ground here by writing about a character with two moms. I've seen it in YA before (in Naomi and Ely's No-Kiss List, but that came out a year later than this book, and the focus of the book wasn't on having two moms.

But y'know, I'm not sure if I could say
Ericka
Nov 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbtq
“I love both you guys.” In different ways, I don’t add. For different reasons. But I love you both the same.

God. I really walked right into that, didn't I.

I was honestly not looking for it. I wanted a light, but nice lecture between exams and I figured out I could find it in this book. It especially reclaimed my attention with the topic: I wanted to read about the point of view of a boy that had two moms. Even if this was an important point, it was not the main one; this book was about marria
Karen
Apr 02, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm torn about this book. It was well written, but both of the parents were so irresponsible and self-centered that it was a frustrating read. I'm not sure whether that is unrealistic or just unpleasant. The one part that really seems unrealistic is Jo not adopting Nick. I can't believe any non-biological parent would refuse to adopt their child out of denial that their parental rights would ever be questioned. I think the book would've been better if I'd been able to feel for either of Nick's m ...more
Nichole Hollingsworth
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Emotionally complicated story that deals with divorce between lesbian parents. Initially it focuses on Nick's life as he is growing up and dealing with how the world perceives his family. Jo is a mess but she loves Nick and when Erin and Jo split up, Jo has no rights to Nick. Thus ensues a messy battle with Nick fighting to be with Jo. I like that Jo is a messy character--she is crude a brash but that's part of why she and Nick work.
Mrs
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another awesome one! I am in love with Julie Anne Peters writings!
Samantha Marquis
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Not many people know what it's like to grow up with two moms. This book lets us take a peek in to that dynamic. julie anne peters writes with such honesty, and integrity.
Linda Lorentz
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was the 7th book I have read by Julie Anne Peters. Peters is an author extraordinaire. She never disappoints and I am always glad to have read her book(s). This book was no exception.
Rants and Bants
Yuko86
Between Mom and Jo, pubblicato in Italia da Playground con il titolo Tra mamma e Jo, è un romanzo che volevo leggere da molto tempo, sia per la trama interessante che per il nome dell’autrice, Julie Anne Peters, l’autrice di Luna, libro a parer mio meraviglioso.

Il protagonista di questa storia è Nick, che ci racconta la sua vita con le sue due mamme, Erin e Jo: i primi ricordi d’infanzia, i compleanni passati assieme, i giochi e le marachelle. Ma anche le liti, la malattia, i tradimenti, l’alcoo
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Me for TeensReadToo.com

BETWEEN MOM AND JO is the first book I've read by Julie Anne Peters, but it won't be my last. In fact, as soon as I finished this book, I went and read KEEPING YOU A SECRET and LUNA. And while we're on confessions, this is also the first book I've read dealing with GLBT (gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgender) issues, but again, it won't be the last. This book grabbed at my emotions, affecting me with every word so deeply that I finished it in only a matter of hours-
Molly
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book deals with the topical issue of divorce. Which for some kids isn’t a big deal, for others it is. It wasn’t a big deal for me. But for Nick, our fourteen-year old protagonist, it pretty much shakes his world. It always confuses me how people who live with single parents act like someone who suddenly experiences a divorce is overreacting—they’re used to having two parents around, and in Nick’s case, he was very close to both of his moms. Yes, both moms. Because for him, that is normal, a ...more
Scrittevolmente
Aug 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Primo libro che parla di una vera e propria famiglia arcobaleno che io abbia mai letto (e spero di poter ripetere l’esperienza quanto prima).
Il protagonista è colui che fa da voce narrante, Nick, che attraverso una serie di flashback nella prima parte del romanzo ci illustra cosa voglia dire essere figlio di una coppia di donne. Gli eventi sono significativi, i capitoli rappresentano frammenti che sono stati importanti per la sua vita, per la sua crescita e per la comprensione del mondo da cui è
right decision 1 5 May 13, 2014 02:44PM
The Book People: Between Mom & Jo by: Julie Anne Peters 9 4 Apr 22, 2014 11:28PM
  • Hello, Groin
  • My Father's Scar
  • Crossing Lines
  • The Necessary Hunger
  • Am I Blue?: Coming Out from the Silence
  • The Full Spectrum: A New Generation of Writing About Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, Question
  • The Mariposa Club
Julie Anne Peters was born in Jamestown, New York. When she was five, her family moved to the Denver suburbs in Colorado. Her parents divorced when she was in high school. She has three siblings: a brother, John, and two younger sisters, Jeanne and Susan.

Her books for young adults include Define "Normal" (2000), Keeping You a Secret (2003), Luna (2004), Far from Xanadu (2005), Between Mom and Jo (
“It doesn't matter who you love - a guy, a girl - love is love. And it's the most important thing in the world. If you have love in your life, you have everything.” 6 likes
“Stop,' I tell her, stepping between her and the bag. 'Look what you're doing.' Jo gazes down at her hands as if they're not even attached to her body. She lowers them. She says, 'I've got a problem.'
'No shit,' I reply.
Her head lolls back and I can see she's hurting. 'I made you coffee.' I tell her, thumbing at the mug on the picnic table. 'Extra strong.'
She asks, 'Did you spike it with arsenic?'
'We're all out,' I answer. 'Unfortunately, all I could find was Excerdrin.”
2 likes