Start by marking “Buffalito Destiny (The Amazing Conroy, #5)” as Want to Read:
Buffalito Destiny (The Amazing Conroy, #5)

Buffalito Destiny

(The Amazing Conroy #5)

Caught between an erupting volcano

And telepathic dreams of disaster...

He’s committed to the unimaginable — dedicating his company to doing good in the world.

Cleaning up Earth’s worst toxic waste site with omnivorous buffalitos seemed like a good plan, until ecoterrorists target the Amazing Conroy, stage-hypnotist-turned-CEO. Meanwhile, a tour bus of aliens is trying to con
Published September 25th 2019 by Paper Golem LLC (first published June 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Buffalito Destiny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buffalito Destiny

Start your review of Buffalito Destiny (The Amazing Conroy, #5)
Jonathan Scotese
The writing style reminded me of Robert Asprin. This is as far from hard sci-fi as you can get. It is filled with various psychic powers, biological process that make no sense, and of course super technology.

The politics I perceived rubbed me the wrong way. An "environmentalist" group is cast as the primary antagonist. Their behavior makes no sense other than as fanatical morons to fill the antagonist role so the plot could move forward. Their hypocritical behavior was human supremacist and had
Eric
Jan 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun read. I wasn't sure what to expect, but once I got to a certain point, I just kept turning pages to find out what could possibly happen next. Nice mix of down to earth mundane details (such as the sandwiches!) and boom-boom collisions with implacable terrorists and exotic aliens. ...more
Leah
Nov 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Endearing characters in a fast-paced adventure.
Paul Calhoun
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This didn't go at all like I was expecting from the first couple chapters. All of a sudden we're going from Phule's Company to something a lot more balanced. The protag gets away from danger constantly, but loses something every time he saves his skin. The world of the not-that-distant future is a well crafted one where we see it, and promises of interesting things where we don't. The characters were fleshed out and believable, with no weird behaviors or hard archetypes.

The only thing that grate
Wanda binz
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent story

Excellent story grips you from the first and doesn’t let you go. Conroy and Reggie and a stellar pair and are wonderful characters to read about.
Julie Davis
We meet The Amazing Conroy at the beginning of his career as a stage hypnotist. He’s been stranded on an alien planet after making a delivery as a courier. This situation in and of itself begins to let the reader know about author Lawrence M. Schoen’s talent in combining the mundane with the unexpected. Certainly, I’d never have imagined earning my way around the universe as a stage hypnotist.

The book proper is set in Conroy’s present where he has smuggled an alien life form to Earth. Rarely has
David H.
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This is the first Amazing Conroy novel, with a short story collection and three novellas before this. It was fun to follow Conroy in a longer story, and Left-John Mocker is a fun character as well. Here we got to explore more of the future Earth the author created, including a Texas that is basically a disaster area and an isolationist Mexico. I know from other notes from the author that from the first story "Buffalo Dogs," Conroy has had it too good or too easy. Here, he very much does not. I d ...more
Bob Hole
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Lots of fun

In the tradition of Robert Asprin and Spider Robinson, this lightly humorous science fiction book is great fun. There’s adventure, good food, preposterous coincidences that make perfect sense, and buffalitos. What more do you need? It does help if you’ve read the previous books, but it’s certainly not necessary.
Josh Gentry
Starts of quite fun, but I have the audio book, and I struggle with that format, so I haven't finished. Will give it another go on the way home tonight.

Update: Turns out audio books just don't work for me. Shame. My not finishing the book has nothing to do with the book itself.
Jenine
Dec 30, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great plotting, engaging elements. But frustratingly underwritten in parts, with flat characters. I loved the buffalitos and definitely wanted to know what happened in the end. So it claws its way up to three stars.
Jenine
Jul 07, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2 and 3/4. The buffalitos are a wonderful invention. The plotting is great but the characters are just barely there.
Maryalice
Jan 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A truly funny book. I loved it. I wish he would write more. I enjoyed the Buffalito books as much as I enjoy Terry Pratchett.
Matt
Feb 07, 2012
Michael
Aug 06, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »

• Remembrance of Earth's Past: The Three-Body Trilogy (Remembrance of Earth's Past #1-3)
  • Amateur Radio for the Antisocial: It’s not all about the ragchew
  • The Golden Queen (The Golden Queen, #1)
  • Lifeline
  • Viravax
  • Working Stiff (Dan Shamble, Zombie P.I. #5)
  • Second Paradigm
  • Pulling Up Stakes (Pulling Up Stakes, #1)
  • Whack Job
  • The Dark Lady: A Romance of the Far Future (Birthright #13)
  • Pulling Up Stakes 2
  • The Godmakers
  • Cursed! (Dan's Inferno, #1)
  • The Garderobe of Death (The Chronicles of Brother Hermitage #2)
  • Through Fiery Trials (Safehold, #10)
  • The Millionth Chance: The Story of the R.101
  • Mythology 101
  • The Tapestry of Death (The Chronicles of Brother Hermitage #3)
Lawrence M. Schoen holds a Ph.D. in cognitive psychology, is a past Astounding, Hugo, and Nebula, nominee, twice won the Cóyotl award for best novel, founded the Klingon Language Institute, and occasionally does work as a hypnotherapist specializing in authors’ issues. He is a cancer survivor.

His science fiction includes many light and humorous adventures of a space-faring stage hypnotist and his

The Amazing Conroy (7 books)
  • Buffalito Bundle (The Amazing Conroy, #1)
  • Barry's Tale (The Amazing Conroy, #2)
  • Calendrical Regression (The Amazing Conroy, #3)
  • Barry's Deal (The Amazing Conroy, #4)
  • Trial of the Century (The Amazing Conroy, #6)
  • Buffalito Contingency (The Amazing Conroy, #7)