Start by marking “Silver Bells” as Want to Read:
Silver Bells

Silver Bells

The enchantment of the holidays meets the pure storytelling genius of New York Times bestselling author Luanne Rice, as she presents readers with a special gift for the season and a Christmas classic in the making…

On a quaint, snowy Chelsea street, librarian Catherine Tierney and a widowed Christmas tree seller from Nova Scotia will rediscover the magic of the season where
Published October 25th 2005 by Bantam (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Silver Bells, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silver Bells

Start your review of Silver Bells
Cheri
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I very much enjoyed this story. My first time reading this author. It was a very heartwarming story that takes place during the Christmas season.
Beth
Dec 11, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: chick lit fans looking for a fast, heartwarming Christmas read
For a book that was approximately 200 pages, the plot was surprisingly complex. And by complex, what I actually mean is coincidentally complex, because by the end, everyone and everything was neatly tied up with a Christmas bow and a heaping helping of Christmas magic.

Now, let’s try a game. How many Christmas clichés can you count?

Christopher Byrne, aka Christy – Widower. Christmas tree farmer. Canadian. Travels to New York City with his children every December to sell trees in Chelsea. Expect
Jessika
Jul 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
There is just something about this semester that has me craving brain candy and sweet-and-sappy stories. This is obviously not going to become the next literary classic, but if you're looking for a story to get yourself in the holiday mood, I recommend giving Luanne Rice a try.

This is one of the rare (and I mean very rare) occasions where I've seen the movie before reading the book. I actually had no idea that this book existed until I had watched the Hallmark movie adaptation. I liked the movi
Ann
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this sweet holiday story.
Mj
I’ve read Luanne Rice before and think she writes well. She’s an author I sometimes choose when looking for a heart warming read with interesting characters and some complexity. There’s often some romance involved but it’s definitely not Harlequinesque and doesn’t include any heavy duty love scenes, neither of which are my cup of tea. Rice focuses more on peoples’ inter relationships in her stories.

When looking through holiday reads on display at the library, I saw Silver Bells and thought I’d g
SandyL
Christopher "Christy" Byrne is a tree farmer from Nova Scotia, who travels to NYC every year to sell his trees. His wife died four years ago and he'd been raising his son and daughter and trying to keep the business on track. Then, the previous year, his son ran away right before they were to return to Nova Scotia. Now he and his daughter are back to sell trees and are hoping to find Danny. Catherine Tierney's husband died three years ago right before Christmas and it's always the toughest time ...more
Jaycee Limutau
So this book could have been so much better. I just felt like the author (whom I do love) left out the heart in this book....it was almost there at times but the characters still left me flat. Maybe it was just me? This book was turned into a Hallmark movie so maybe my expectations were too high but the relationships felt forced
and unrealistic (and that's from someone who enjoys fantasy, especially in love). And by the end I was bothered by how it was all wrapped up. No full answers to what the
Beth
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
An old favorite at Christmas. Love the background story of missing what is right in front of you. Take the time to look up!
Katrina
Mar 11, 2017 rated it liked it
had a hard time getting used to Christy as a man's name.
Marie
Aug 23, 2019 rated it did not like it
Blech. Where to start? If you are going to write a story involving police, learn the rudimentaries of police procedure. For instance, if someone reports spotting a runaway, you don't send several cars with sirens blaring to apprehend him.
The characters were flat, I couldn't relate to any of them. The storyline was fuzzy at best. Waste of time.
Kay Cardona
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
A quick read. It shows the importance of values .
Linda
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sweet and sappy with a touch of holiday magic--would be a great Hallmark movie. But I liked it a lot!
Lynda
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Judi
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
what can one say about Christmas novels? I am going thru a phase of not being much interested in reading, which is so not like me, but when I do, I am gravitating toward "fluff" and there hasn't been a Christmas book yet that wasn't fluff. To me the two main characters are Christy and Catherine, a widow and a widower, one forced to move on because of his children and his forever working and the other stuck in her grief waiting for her husband to come back, a declaration he made on his death bed. ...more
Tracey
Oct 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010
Ayny
Now one of my favourite holiday books. hokey yes, but I like the NYC locale
Kim
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Kim by: paperbackswap/cynthia fisher adams
Shelves: books-to-screen
loved the book and movie
Lori Brockelbank
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
Silver bells is very well written but it is too predictable and more sugary sweet than a tub of frosting. If you need a quick read then this is the book for you.
Shelley Alongi
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a nice read when you can't fall asleep. It's too perfect without being too perfect. You pretty much know how this is going to end, its getting there that's what keeps you reading. I liked it.
Phylisha Stone
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
A nice christmas story, but also a little predictable.
Chloe (Always Booked)
This book was good but took me forever to read and just wasn’t very engaging. I don’t know if it was me or the book but this one was just okay for me. I loved the New York setting and I really got the wintery vibes. I just didn’t really feel emotional about any or the characters. I also hated that the main male characters name was Christy! It threw me off so much in the beginning. Overall, this one was cute with a bit of depth but nothing exceptional.

SPOILERS AHEAD:
This book is about Christy. H
"People always made assumptions about other people's lives."

"I like bells. Bells are symbolic. They call people to devotion, to celebrations . . . They are powerful--tools of the spirit!"

"We're betting on love and happiness. And on the people who matter most. We think we have it all figured out, but when someone we care about--love with all our heart--lets us down, we lose our bets."

"We think we've seen it all before; we think we know it all by heart. But we forget. It's so easy to forget. Or no
Leah Reick
This was my first re-read of Silver Bells in probably 10 years. I remember having very strong positive feelings about it during that first read. I love Christmas. I love the idea of Christmas in NYC. Silver Bells is one of my favorite carols. And yet . . . this re-read didn't spark the same warm fuzzies. I'm older and wiser (debatable), I guess.

Susan Waltman
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and I am usually not a romance book person. It was really well written and told an interesting story. It kept me guessing as to what would happen next. I plan to read another book by this author soon.
Cyndi
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Christmas is a time to believe in the goodness that's in ourselves and in others. A time of learning to let go and moving forward, of listening, and seeing what has been before our eyes the whole time. Definitely a book you want to read, if you believe in the magic of the season.
Rochelle Renee
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just LOVE Luanne Rice and everything she writes.

No contest here. No negativity. Just pure love.

Please read this heartfelt Christmas story.

Thanks Luanne for all the years of wonderful storytelling. You're a bright light. xo
Margie
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Two families have lost the Christmas spirit. A tree farmer from Nova Scotia selling Christmas trees in New York and missing his son for a year since he ran off in NYC. A widow who lost her husband over three years and misses him deeply. Their lives meet and they find the Christmas meaning.
Christine Mathieu
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite Christmas stories (the TV movie with Anne Heche is also worth watching).
Year after year in December a small family from Nova Scotia drives to NYC with Christmas trees to sell. The son wants to become a photographer, but his father wants him to take over the family business.
Bette Bentzel
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
bb

Real good book. The movie is just as good or maybe better. The book was a little different than the movie but both were good.
Jellicle
A bit simplistic but overall sweet holiday story. The romance aspect moved a bit quickly but the storyline between father/children and a woman trying to move on from lost love was moving.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Christmas Shoes (Christmas Hope, #1)
  • Within Reach
  • The Christmas Hope (Christmas Hope, #3)
  • The Sea Star Bakery (Willa Bay #2)
  • On a Snowy Night: The Christmas Basket\The Snow Bride
  • Christmas Jars
  • The Christmas Thief
  • Home to Me (Creek Canyon, #2)
  • The Christmas Shoppe
  • The Christmas Candle
  • Girls of Summer
  • Sunrise on Half Moon Bay
  • A Walk Along the Beach
  • Sammy's Hill (Samantha Joyce, #1)
  • The Privilege of Youth: A Teenager's Story (Dave Pelzer #2.5)
  • The Nerd Who Loved Me (Nerds, #2)
  • Bitter Brew (A Savannah Reid Mystery #24)
  • The Numbers Game
Luanne Rice is the New York Times bestselling author of thirty-five novels including LAST DAY, BEACH GIRLS, and THE SECRET LANGUAGE OF SISTER. THE SHADOW BOX will be out in January 2021. Five of her books have been made into movies and mini-series, many have been New York Times bestsellers and two of her pieces have been featured in off-Broadway theatre productions. She lives on the Connecticut sh ...more