Start by marking “Silver Bells” as Want to Read:
Silver Bells

Silver Bells

The enchantment of the holidays meets the pure storytelling genius of New York Times bestselling author Luanne Rice, as she presents readers with a special gift for the season and a Christmas classic in the making…

On a quaint, snowy Chelsea street, librarian Catherine Tierney and a widowed Christmas tree seller from Nova Scotia will rediscover the magic of the season where
Published October 25th 2005 by Bantam (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Silver Bells, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silver Bells

Cheri
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I very much enjoyed this story. My first time reading this author. It was a very heartwarming story that takes place during the Christmas season.
Beth
Dec 11, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: chick lit fans looking for a fast, heartwarming Christmas read
For a book that was approximately 200 pages, the plot was surprisingly complex. And by complex, what I actually mean is coincidentally complex, because by the end, everyone and everything was neatly tied up with a Christmas bow and a heaping helping of Christmas magic.

Now, let’s try a game. How many Christmas clichés can you count?

Christopher Byrne, aka Christy – Widower. Christmas tree farmer. Canadian. Travels to New York City with his children every December to sell trees in Chelsea. Expect
Jessika
Jul 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
There is just something about this semester that has me craving brain candy and sweet-and-sappy stories. This is obviously not going to become the next literary classic, but if you're looking for a story to get yourself in the holiday mood, I recommend giving Luanne Rice a try.

This is one of the rare (and I mean very rare) occasions where I've seen the movie before reading the book. I actually had no idea that this book existed until I had watched the Hallmark movie adaptation. I liked the movi
Ann
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this sweet holiday story.
Mj
I’ve read Luanne Rice before and think she writes well. She’s an author I sometimes choose when looking for a heart warming read with interesting characters and some complexity. There’s often some romance involved but it’s definitely not Harlequinesque and doesn’t include any heavy duty love scenes, neither of which are my cup of tea. Rice focuses more on peoples’ inter relationships in her stories.

When looking through holiday reads on display at the library, I saw Silver Bells and thought I’d g
SandyL
Christopher "Christy" Byrne is a tree farmer from Nova Scotia, who travels to NYC every year to sell his trees. His wife died four years ago and he'd been raising his son and daughter and trying to keep the business on track. Then, the previous year, his son ran away right before they were to return to Nova Scotia. Now he and his daughter are back to sell trees and are hoping to find Danny. Catherine Tierney's husband died three years ago right before Christmas and it's always the toughest time ...more
Jaycee Limutau
So this book could have been so much better. I just felt like the author (whom I do love) left out the heart in this book....it was almost there at times but the characters still left me flat. Maybe it was just me? This book was turned into a Hallmark movie so maybe my expectations were too high but the relationships felt forced
and unrealistic (and that's from someone who enjoys fantasy, especially in love). And by the end I was bothered by how it was all wrapped up. No full answers to what the
Beth
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
An old favorite at Christmas. Love the background story of missing what is right in front of you. Take the time to look up!
Katrina
Mar 11, 2017 rated it liked it
had a hard time getting used to Christy as a man's name.
Linda
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sweet and sappy with a touch of holiday magic--would be a great Hallmark movie. But I liked it a lot!
Darlene
Es war ok.
Lynda
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Judi
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
what can one say about Christmas novels? I am going thru a phase of not being much interested in reading, which is so not like me, but when I do, I am gravitating toward "fluff" and there hasn't been a Christmas book yet that wasn't fluff. To me the two main characters are Christy and Catherine, a widow and a widower, one forced to move on because of his children and his forever working and the other stuck in her grief waiting for her husband to come back, a declaration he made on his death bed. ...more
Miss Framboesa
Talvez influenciada pela época natalícia que coincide com o cenário do livro...adorei a história,as personagens,o cenário...fim previsível,mas não consegui parar de ler.Não leva mais uma estrela devido a uma passagem que achei forçada e. à qual não me refiro devido a spoilers...de resto encheu-me as medidas.
Tracey
Oct 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010
Shelley Alongi
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a nice read when you can't fall asleep. It's too perfect without being too perfect. You pretty much know how this is going to end, its getting there that's what keeps you reading. I liked it.
Ayny
Now one of my favourite holiday books. hokey yes, but I like the NYC locale
Lori Brockelbank
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
Silver bells is very well written but it is too predictable and more sugary sweet than a tub of frosting. If you need a quick read then this is the book for you.
Phylisha Stone
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
A nice christmas story, but also a little predictable.
Ana Rodrigues
Lembrou-me os filmes de domingo à tarde que passam na tv
"People always made assumptions about other people's lives."

"I like bells. Bells are symbolic. They call people to devotion, to celebrations . . . They are powerful--tools of the spirit!"

"We're betting on love and happiness. And on the people who matter most. We think we have it all figured out, but when someone we care about--love with all our heart--lets us down, we lose our bets."

"We think we've seen it all before; we think we know it all by heart. But we forget. It's so easy to forget. Or no
Cyndi
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Christmas is a time to believe in the goodness that's in ourselves and in others. A time of learning to let go and moving forward, of listening, and seeing what has been before our eyes the whole time. Definitely a book you want to read, if you believe in the magic of the season.
Susan Waltman
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and I am usually not a romance book person. It was really well written and told an interesting story. It kept me guessing as to what would happen next. I plan to read another book by this author soon.
Rochelle Renee
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just LOVE Luanne Rice and everything she writes.

No contest here. No negativity. Just pure love.

Please read this heartfelt Christmas story.

Thanks Luanne for all the years of wonderful storytelling. You're a bright light. xo
Bette Bentzel
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
bb

Real good book. The movie is just as good or maybe better. The book was a little different than the movie but both were good.
Ethan
Dec 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
3.5 stars. Very cozy and romanticized version of Christmas time in NYC, I enjoyed that so much. Warmed my little heart. Touching and simple story with memorable characters.
K Kelley
Jan 17, 2018 rated it liked it
typical Luanne Rice romance but with some added depth. Easy, escape read for the holidays to get away from the stress of it all
Kathy Ebbert
Dec 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Definitely a Hallmark kind of story.
Marie
Dec 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute Christmas story.
Janice
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very enjoyable story. A quick read that kept me engaged.
  • The Christmas Clock
  • The Christmas Tree
  • The Christmas Wish
  • The Snow Globe
  • The Christmas Basket
  • The Christmas Hope (Christmas Hope, #3)
  • Finding Father Christmas (Father Christmas, #1)
  • A Dog Named Christmas (A Dog Named Christmas #1)
  • No Place Like Home (Cisco, #1)
  • Tidings of Comfort & Joy: A Tender Story of Love, Loss, and Reunion
  • The Christmas Candle
  • The Christmas Pearl
  • Home in Time for Christmas
  • Two Tickets to the Christmas Ball
  • Holiday with a Vampire II
  • The Christmas Scrapbook (Harmony, #5.5)
  • Mistletoe and Molly
  • Christmas Jars Reunion
Luanne Rice is the New York Times bestselling author of thirty-two novels including THE SECRET LANGUAGE OF SISTERS, her first YA novel. Five of her books have been made into movies and mini-series, many have been New York Times bestsellers and two of her pieces have been featured in off-Broadway theatre productions. She divides her time between New York City and the Connecticut shoreline.
“Look up.” 12 likes