Start by marking “The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse” as Want to Read:
The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse

The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse

(Eddie Bear #1)

Toy Town—older, bigger, and certainly not wiser. The Old Rich, who have made their millions from the royalties on their world-famous nursery rhymes, are being murdered one by one. A psychopath is on the loose, and he must be stopped at any cost. It’s a job for Toy Town’s only detective—but he’s missing, leaving only Eddie Bear, and his bestest friend Jack, to track down th ...more
Published August 1st 2003 by Gollancz (first published January 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse

Kristen
Apr 25, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: comedy, books-i-loath
The key thing that I have taken away from reading this book is that Titles cannot be trusted. Certainly the title of this book is brilliant; I even love the little chocolate bunnies on the cover, glaring at me as they plot. The concept presented on the back of the book is intriguing and will force those of you with unusual senses of humor to consider the purchase. This is the point that you need to stop yourself, because for all of the pretty packaging, this book does not deliver. I am a huge fa ...more
Melki
Feb 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
This is now the third investigation into the mysterious circumstances involving Humpty Dumpty's demise that I've read, and I honestly think Jasper Fforde did it best in The Big Over Easy.

Here we have Jack, a 13-year-old boy, and Eddie, a button-eyed teddy bear who's an aspiring gumshoe, attempting to nab the culprit in a string of nursery rhyme character murders.

I can't exactly say what went wrong here, but everything seems a little flat. The fact that Eddie and Jack can't scrape up a personali
Purple
Mar 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Any adults with more than a little active inner-child
Recommended to Purple by: 3 people in one day
Shelves: fantasy, 5-star
Oh, what fun!

A very smart, self aware book, that disguises itself well as a pulp detective novel.

Whilst clearly being a book for adults, it's the little bits that are written as if they are for kids that endear the reader most to the style of writing, and, ultimately, the book as a whole. For example, when we first meet Madame Goose, she is described thusly: "Madame Goose, who was a goose, and a very large goose was she." It's a style that not only fits perfectly with the characters and situati
Sally906
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, mystery-cosy
Such a clever book - loved Eddie Bear - who is the MC and an alcoholic teddy bear who has to carry out the investigation after the real detective disappears.

Humpty Dumpty is was boiled alive in his pool, Mother (actually "Madame" as she runs a brothel in this story) Goose was roasted and poor Little Boy Blue - I just can't relive his death again!

It does descend into utter silliness from time to time - and puns abound - but that's the point. It's a tongue-in-cheek satirical look at pulp fiction.
Stephen Robert Collins
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Are feeling deppresed?
Are stuck in rut?
Are you looking for inelegant book ?
Well two out of three isn't bad.
The Lonny as Chocolate tea pot brings another insane book. The title along gives you an idea that is NOT series book but side splitting wet your knickers book.
If this does not cheer you up you seriously need hospital help.
Eddie Bear number 1 Toy Town Detective & his friend Jack are hitting a disposable brutal murder.
This Toy Story parody on acid.
But it's Robert Rankin so what F##kn hel
Tracey
Sep 05, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of unusual premises with a sense of humour
How could you possibly resist a title like The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse? I was thrilled when the library finally got a copy & read thru it in about a day. [I've since bought my own copy]

Jack, a rather gangly young man, seeks his fortune. After a rather harrowing encounter with a farmer, he makes it to The City... not realizing it is Toy City, where the majority of the residents are living toys, while the humans are nursery rhyme characters, grown rich from their royalties.
Gina
Feb 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of dry English humor
Brilliant.

I read this book in a matter of hours. I couldn't put it down. It wasn't brain candy, (sweet, light, fun but if you read too much you run the risk of mental cavities), and this wasn't great literature, but it was fun, innovative & well written. I'm looking forward to reading more of his work.
Chris
This is the third Rankin book that I have read, and I still don't know if I like him.

Rankin's ideas and titles are great, brillant, wonderful, yet there is something off about the books, something that doesn't quite fit, something that doesn't work. Perhaps it is the length, maybe if the book was shorter there wouldn't be a problem. Perhaps it because it feels as if Rankin is trying too hard to be funny and uses running gags that run too far.

This book makes good use of nursey rhymes and toys. At
Jon
Jun 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
You can't quite put your finger on what it is about this novel that is very entertaining, which I find often to be the mark of a great read. Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse is set in a pseudo fairy tale world where English nursery rhymes and their ilk are meshed together within a logical, sensible world. It is a perfect mixture of fantasy, lunacy and the mundane worries of fairy tales. Consider the sidekick Eddie's main problem throughout the novel: Eddie is a stuffed bear with an ana ...more
Noah Stacy
Apr 02, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, scifi, humor
Robert Rankin is my favorite author who isn't distributed in the US.

While this may sound like faint praise, I really do enjoy his work. It's silly, surreal, and thoroughly British; riddled with in-jokes and ex parte asides to the reader. If someone dipped into my head and wrote books based on what I thought funny ought to be, the result might look like Hollow Chocolate Bunnies or Waiting for Godalming.

Keep your eyes peeled for the Big M, and always listen to your Holy Guardian Sprout.
Danger Kallisti
Feb 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Robert Rankin fans; anybody with a couple of hours to spare and the need for a fun book.
Shelves: sci-fi
F*cking great. I guess some of the honeymoon feel of finding a new author is wearing off, because now I'm starting to see the formula in his books. This was still a hysterical read, though. I'm really not into murder mysteries as such, but the idea of a serial killer loose in Toy City, killing off fairy tale characters, was pretty fun. This was another totally gratuitous bit of mind candy, but I guess that's okay sometimes.
Paul
Jun 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Following in the tradition of fine police procedurals and thrillers, “Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse” offered a great story with mystery and intrigue. The rich are being methodically murdered and two detectives are trying to solve the crimes before anyone else, or themselves, get killed.

It should probably be mentioned that the book takes place in Toy City. The two detectives are a teenager named Jack and Eddie, the Teddy Bear Private Investigator. The rich victims included Humpty Dum
Libby
Mar 31, 2009 rated it did not like it
Well, I tried, not once but twice. I found this book via the "if you like this author, you may like this author" type recommendation. Well, I love Terry Pratchett and I do not like Robert Rankin. It's interesting because the reviews of this book are so spilt. People either really like it or don't, and what's interesting is that the same people likely agree on other books. I think you either enjoy Rankin's verbose style or you don’t - it's that simple. For me, there is way too much dialogue in th ...more
Nikki
Fun and sometimes funny, and really good for a light read that doesn't take itself seriously. I'm not an enormous fan of Robert Rankin based on this book, but I'm certainly willing to pick up another should it cross my path. Which it will, since there's one on my shelf already.

The overall idea isn't that unusual: nursery rhyme characters being murdered, nursery rhyme characters investigate. (Hi, Jasper Fforde!) But this is a more cynical, more adult version, with a certain sting in the humour so
Jim
Jul 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. Incredibly clever story chock full of parables and more than a few analogies comparing the fictional Toy City of Bunnies and the way we live today..even though the book was written almost ten years ago. This is my first Rankin read; I am certain to read more of his work. Silly on it's surface (in a good way) but sardonic in wit and humor. Rankin knows how to spin a fluid tale.
Diane
May 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Okay, unlike a lot of the other reviewers of this book, I didn't pick this up because somebody suggested it might remind me of Terry Pratchett or Neil Gaiman. (In which case I might very well have been disappointed.) I got this book because I was perusing the stacks of my local library and the title caught my eye. I checked the book out without ever looking at the blurb or the inside cover and I had no earthly idea whatsoever what it was about until I opened it. Note that I do like Pratchett and ...more
Stephanie
Oct 16, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: the truly twisted
From the witty and twisted mind of Robert Rankin, we revisit the nursery rhymes of our childhood in a most gruesome way. From the death by boiling of Humpty Dumpty to the brutal shepherd's-crook-in-unspeakable-places killing of Little Boy Blue, Eddy Bear and Jack must search Toy Town to find a serial killer. The book is a satire of war, celebrity, religion, and probably some things I missed, and the ending will truly surprise you.
Elspeth
Oct 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love British humor and this book excels in it! Dry, witty, and so very interesting!
Hilary
Apr 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Jack is an ordinary fellow who leaves his factory job to seek his fortune in the big city. What he finds in Toy City, however, is a smart-mouthed detective teddy bear named Eddie, famous nursery rhyme characters, dollies and tintoys and rubber policemen, a kindly old toymaker--and a serial killer.

Not for the faint of heart, chock full of naughty bits, off-color humor, and gratuitous violence, this novel is a hilarious satire of the hard-boiled detective novel. Both its premise and its language a
Karen Germain
Jan 03, 2011 rated it it was ok
My first book of 2011 is Robert Rankin’s “The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse.” The book was definitely overflowing with creativity, but I didn’t really find it to be too compelling. I think it’s more that the book just wasn’t my cup of tea, rather than it being flat out bad.

It felt a bit too quirky, like Rankin was trying too hard. If it had not been recommended by both my boyfriend and his son, I don’t think I would have stuck with it. Good thing it was a very quick read! One bonus
Altivo Overo
Jan 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: humor, fantasy
If you've seen the film Who Framed Roger Rabbit? or read the book upon which it was based, Who Censored Roger Rabbit? by Gary Wolf, then I think you've had a better experience.

At first glance, the idea of Rankin's novel seems entertaining. I was especially intrigued by the notion of a live teddy bear detective, who drinks too much beer and asks to be stood on his head so it will make him drunk before it runs out through his feet. In practice, I found the parody quickly became repetitive and the
Paul  Perry
I don't know what it is, but Robert Rankin is one of those authors I wish I enjoyed more than I do. He's inventive with a good turn of phrase - in this book he makes excellent use of the repetition of words and phrases with slightly different meanings - but, somehow, I just don't find his writing style very engaging.

This is the story of young Jack heading to The City to seek his fortune and finding a city entirely unlike the one he had expected - a toytown filled with clockwork bartenders and ja
April (The Steadfast Reader)
Jan 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: beach-reads
This book is tons of fun. I was having too much fun to realize until about halfway through what an awesome allegory it was too. I'd describe it as a lighter, wittier, but easier Wicked

Two of my particularly favorite moments:

"'As real as." said Eddie
'As real as what?' said Jack
'Wish I knew,' said Eddie 'But I can't do corroborative nouns. None of us are perfect, are we?'"

"Yet another theory is that there was more than one Humpty Dumpty, but no wall involved: one Humpty fell from the side of a gra
Jason
Sep 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant book, reminded me a lot of Roger Rabbit, but much darker. Somebody it brutally killing off the inhabitants of Toy Town, those inhabitants are the characters from nursery rhymes who are now rich.

This book is a great place to start reading Robert Rankin, the well known characters helps you to get a grip on the totally mad style of Rankin. One of my favourite authors and this is one of his best books. There is a sequel that I've never got around to reading so will have to try that this ye
Watoosa
Nov 27, 2008 rated it did not like it
How I loved the title. Too bad the book wasn't my cup of tea.
Vivienne
Feb 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was trapped under my purring giant black cat one morning last week and this novel was within reach without disturbing him. Yet once started I found that I was enjoying it so much that I kept on reading even after my cat had wandered off and finished it in a single sitting only stopping for refreshments.

It was very enjoyable and an easy read. Some of the humour was a bit laddish, such as obvious jokes about bears and the woods, but it was less gross-out humour than the cover blurb suggested. T
Joey Woolfardis
Jack sets off for The City, little knowing that The City is Toy City: a place where toys are alive and drink alcohol in great quantities. There he meets Eddie, Eddie the Bear, and together they form an unlikely Private Detective partnership to solve the case of Humpty Dumpty and Little Boy Blue: it would seem Toy City has a serial killer on the loose.

If you've never read a Robert Rankin Far-Fetched fiction novel before, I'd kindly like to ask you not to start with this one. Whilst humorous, wel
Almeta
Apr 06, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dying2read, revue
Because Easter is coming up, I thought that I would try one of the many "chocolate cozies" listed by other members. This one, The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse, reminded me of chocolate loving Erma Bombeck's confession from one of her books, that went something like this...
"My children were eighteen before they learned that chocolate Easter Bunnies had ears."

This book will be well liked, by those who like things well; and the use of simile is as artful as.

If these two assessments ma
Louise
Sep 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Light-hearted and fun - especially if you can remember your nursery rhymes.

Jack heads out to make his fortune in "the City"; on arriving in Toy City (much larger these days than Toy Town!) he finds himself helping Bill Winkie's teddy bear to investigate the murders of Humpty Dumpty, Little Boy Blue, Tommy Tucker, Jack Horner and a host of other PPPs (pre-adolescent poetical personalities). Innocent bystanders such as Mother Goose and Wibble also get the chop!

Or is that really what he's doing? Wh
Ryan Mishap
Sep 14, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-fantasy
And where did Jasper Fforde steal his ideas for the Nursery Crime series from? Why, this book. It is a nutty thing, and fun. A lad travels to the city to try and make his fortune and it turns out the city is full of characters from nursery rhymes, faerie tales, and myths. He runs into a drunk teddy bear searching for a detective and soon becomes embroiled in the case. And just why do chocolate bunnies turn up everywhere?
this book is fucking crazy.
  • Only Human
  • Foop!
  • The Fourth Bear (Nursery Crime, #2)
  • Last Tango in Aberystwyth (Aberystwyth Noir, #2)
  • Captain Freedom
  • The Manga Bible: From Genesis to Revelation
  • Uncle
  • The Pirates! In an Adventure with Communists
"When Robert Rankin embarked upon his writing career in the late 1970s, his ambition was to create an entirely new literary genre, which he named Far-Fetched Fiction. He reasoned that by doing this he could avoid competing with any other living author in any known genre and would be given his own special section in WH Smith."
(from Web Site Story)

Robert Rankin describes himself as a teller of tall

Eddie Bear (2 books)
  • The Toyminator
“Jack, get a grip of yourself.'
I have a grip of myself.' Jack took a grip of himself. It was a most intimate grip; not the kind of grip that you usually take of yourself in public.”
39 likes
“As real as,' said Eddie.
'As real as what?' said Jack.
'Wish I knew,' said Eddie. 'But I can't do corroborative nouns. None of us are perfect, are we? I can get started. As big as, as obscene as, as foul as. But I can't get any further. But that's life for you again. As unfair as...”
24 likes