Start by marking “Red Sky Over Hawaii” as Want to Read:
Red Sky Over Hawaii

Red Sky Over Hawaii

it was amazing 5.00  ·  Rating details ·  5 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Inspired by real places and events of WWII, Red Sky Over Hawaii immerses the reader in a time of American history full of suspicion and peril in this lush and poignant novel about the indisputable power of doing the right thing against the odds.

The attack on Pearl Harbor changes everything for Lana Hitchcock. Arriving home on the Big Island too late to reconcile with her
Expected publication: May 26th 2020 by MIRA

To ask other readers questions about Red Sky Over Hawaii, please sign up.
Sara Ackerman Three things: first, I discovered an old house at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park with some fascinating history, then I learned about a German family…moreThree things: first, I discovered an old house at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park with some fascinating history, then I learned about a German family here who was ripped apart after the attack on Pearl Harbor, and thirdly, I have been interested in the detainment camp up at Volcano for a while now. Volcano is my favorite place in the world. It is magical and unique and special. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it!(less)
Asteropê From the author's website:
From the author's website:
"The Hawaii Hideaway is a unique and poignant story that illuminates a little known piece of WWII history. It reminds us that where there is darkness, there is always light, and that the bonds of love are never broken.

Lana Hitchcock senses tragedies before they happen. She can explain it no more than she can say why the sky is a deeper blue in December than it is in May. When she gets a call from her ailing father on December 5th, she believes her ominous feelings are tied to him. But in the coming days, as Pearl Harbor is attacked and the threat of Japanese invasion looms, she realizes her knowing was so much more. Lurking submarines keep her stranded on Hawaii Island amid martial law and growing paranoia, and she watches in horror as neighbors and friends are hauled off for questioning. Lana flees to Kilauea Volcano, entrusted with the care of two young German girls, an old Japanese fisherman, and his son. Thrust together by happenstance, they must navigate living in a remote rainforest hideaway while the world unravels around them.

Little do they know that Volcano will soon be home to a new detainment camp, which rapidly fills with prominent local Japanese. When Lana crosses paths with Major Grant Bailey, a guard at the camp, she does her best to ignore him. This turns out to be easier said than done. The more Grant weaves himself into the fabric of their lives, the more Lana fights to keep the secrets of those in her care. Trust, it seems, has dangerous consequences.

Not only that, but Lana and her housemates encounter a string of unexplained phenomena that they struggle to understand. They seek the help of a Hawaiian woman living on the rim of the crater, who turns out to have a few secrets of her own. As the war ramps up and their hearts and lives blend together, the group begins to understand the true meaning of family and how love turns up in the most unexpected places." (less)

it was amazing Average rating 5.00  ·

Start your review of Red Sky Over Hawaii
Debra Schoenberger
A charming and touching story of a made-up family coming to terms with loss and an uncertain future.
Lana, a young woman who returns home to Hilo, Hawaii to care for her father suddenly finds herself caring for ragtag family that she never had: two young German girls, a great Dane called Sailor, a Japanese boy and his father and two nene geese. Throw in an attractive American army office and, well, I'll let you read what happens.

Because Pearl Harbour was bombed by the Japanese, anyone of Japanese
Janet
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When it is snowy and cold outside (and my car is buried under 2ft of ), superspeed readers like me can read 250+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book… and many more today. LOL

From the publisher, as I do not repeat the contents or story of books in reviews, I let them do it as they do it better than I do .

Inspired by real places and
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is my new favorite book! I fell in love with Sara Ackerman's writing after reading Island of Sweet Pies and Soldiers and couldn't wait for this one. Her books are full of heart and there is something so rich and layered about them. Red Sky Over Hawaii is more of the same. Also, it's set at the Kilauea Volcano, which adds an enchanting element to the story. What I love most about the book: Coco the young German girl and her adorable Great Dane Sailor, the chemistry between Lana and Grant, ...more
Elena Mikalsen
Samantha Heuwagen
Sara Ackerman
Aug 08, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Sharon
Oct 27, 2019
Rebecca
Oct 29, 2019

• When We Believed in Mermaids
  • Fading Starlight (The Starless Series Book 2)
  • Forbidden by Time (Forbidden Love, #3)
  • Captured by the Pirate Laird (Highland Force, #1)
  • A Wulf in Duke's Clothing (A Legend to Love, #6)
  • Three Abductions and an Earl (Parvenues & Paramours, #1)
  • Bound (Turning Moon, #1)
  • Forged by Fate (Fate of the Gods, #1)
  • Will I Ever Be Good Enough? Healing the Daughters of Narcissistic Mothers
  • Minor Dramas & Other Catastrophes
  • The House by the Cypress Trees
Sara writes books about love and life, and all of their messy and beautiful imperfections. Born and raised in Hawaii, she studied journalism and later earned graduate degrees in psychology and Chinese medicine. She is the USA Today bestselling author of The Lieutenant's Nurse and Island of Sweet Pies and Soldiers, with several more in the works. She blames Hawaii for her addiction to writing, and ...more