Start by marking “Praetorian Rising” as Want to Read:
Praetorian Rising

Praetorian Rising

In a shattered reality filled with questions and secrets, the terrifying truth may not be who she is, but what.

Camille Scipio awakens one morning remembering nothing of her life. The sword and bow feel like old friends as she eases into the safety and comfort of Sierra Village. Able to gut a squirrel in two seconds and hunt in the forest past curfew, she’s devastated whe
Published July 13th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Praetorian Rising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Praetorian Rising

Start your review of Praetorian Rising
Christi M
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I found about this book when I happened to run across a blog post by the author. The author demonstrated a lot of enthusiasm for the story, which is what truly won me over into reading it. However, the beautiful cover didn’t hurt either.

Thoughts:
There is something captivating in how the author has written this novel. Upon reading, I was immediately drawn into the story as Vesyon carries an unconscious woman, escaping some unknown danger with only Neeko, a small feline, as their companion. Vesyon
Federica
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I fell in love with this book the minute I started reading it and met the main characters. the plot is extremely engaging and exciting from the very start, making it hard for me to put it down. the world built by the author was so full of details and so well done, that it was pretty easy for me to imagine well everything that was happening in the story like if I was actually there. the world of aspera is introduce to us slowly, making me feel like I was traveling and experiencing with the charac ...more
Ewe Linka
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
It was a spectacular read with intricate descriptions that I adored. I love a well written book that invokes the use of all senses and I felt like I was there.
For my personal taste, there was a little too much of fighting elements and I'm not entirely sure I like cliffhangers to be honest.
However, Jessie is a master of manipulating words to the point that I somewhat enjoyed even the elements I personally don't normally like.
I would recommend if you'd like to submerge yourself into a whole new ex
Kaitlin Setty
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Wow, this book truly rocked my world! First of all, the world building was utterly phenomenal. Aspera was unlike any other realm I have traveled to. The way things were described was majestic and magical, while still allowing the reader to form their own opinion about things. The action was fantastic! I literally gasped, laughed, and had heart palpitations while reading this absolute gem! (Especially during the ending!)
I love the storyline involving a protagonist that has lost their memory yet i
Payton
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was awesome from the start! Full of action, intrigue, and intricate world building. I really liked the concept of a main character with a dark past who can't remember any of it. Camille was a badass main character and she really brought the story together.
Nicholas Gagnier
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this story overall. I think the author had a natural way with words, and largely kept my interest throughout. Looking forward to a sequel.
thepoetscorner_
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Wow! Wow!
Praetorian Rising exceeded all expectations throughout the entire book. There was enough character building for me to become emotionally invested in these characters, yet enough freedom for me to feel like I was in J. McSpadden’s world.
Perfectly done. She made me feel like I was there with Camille and even made me feel like I was Camille. The story (don’t worry, I won’t spoil anything) was a beautiful mix of adventure, love and self-discovery.
I read the book in like two days! I
Kay J
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best fantasy ride of the year for me, I was hooked at chapter 1. The characters were so well written, relatable the action scenes were so vividyou felt like you were there personally. Mcspadden has truly created a world I'd like to visit, live, and fight for. I truly give it all the stars, and I Highly Recommend!
Kastie Pavlik
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was privileged to read an ARC of Praetorian Rising and this is my honest (and spoiler free) review.

Summary: Camille awakens not knowing who she is and settles into a simple life in a small village in Aspera, a nation oppressed by its king. In the blink of an eye, her world is turned on end and she’s whisked away to the central hub of a rogue rebellion. Left with few answers to her many questions, she finds herself in the middle of something big, bigger than anyone expected, and soon she’s in
Amber Gram
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I opened this book and was immediately taken by the world built by J. McSpadden. The descriptions are unique and yet so familiar, like walking into the world of Tolkien written from a new age point of view. Praetorian Rising isn't just enjoyable, it's deep with emotion, full of mystery and intrigue, a hint of love and character self-discovery and beyond everything it's a wild adventure. You start this book going 100 mph and it doesn't really stop until you turn the last page. To say I am anxious ...more
Rebecca Erbe
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Starting on the very first page, Praetorian Rising is full of a rich detail and twists and turns that kept me engrossed until the last. The world McSpadden created is unique - part classic fantasy, part guerrilla warfare - a place where characters hunt for their food with bows and arrows and live in fear of genetically modified super-beasts. Tried and true themes of forgotten identity and undiscovered destiny become fresh against the background of a desperately unequal rebellion of common people ...more
AG Harper
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Omg! I just do not know what to say, as words can not even describe the emotions with this book. J, you have outdone yourself with this one. I am so upset that this is just being published because I want the next one so bad. When you’re talking about character development and a book with action, romance, and keeps you guessing, THIS. IS. THAT. BOOK! My full review of it will be on my Instagram page, ( @_thewriterr ) so do check it out if you wish to know more. All I can say on here is that this ...more
Keri Sans
Oct 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Praetorian Rising is a decent debut novel with evil kings and roguish rebels. McSpadden doesn’t reinvent the wheel with her fantasy story, but she does construct a world of her own with secret plots, ruling tyrants, and mysterious magic. The plot of this novel keeps the reader engaged although the characters fell a little flat for me at times. Occasionally, the prose would throw me out of the novel for a second, but the book is otherwise a quick, fun read that is bound to entertain readers.

McSp
Molly the Gemini
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
luayne
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was ok
Where is the next book? Cliffhanger. Other reviewers must have been paid!
Ashlyn
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great Fantasy

Really enjoyed this book. I read a lot of fantasy books and this was a unique story. Looking forward to reading future books by this author!
Rachel
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Praetorian Rising captured my attention and pulled me in from the very beginning. The world-building in the story is lush with details, and I immediately wanted to know more about the world and the situation our main character was in. Camille enters the story with no memory of her life, adjusting to life in a small village. I was apprehensive initially of discovering facts and events along with Camille, but the story is written such that I never felt lost as a reader, even as we were discovering ...more
Alicia Petersson
I used to LOVE reading fantasy as a kid, but I have in recent years fallen out of reading the fantasy genera. Reading this book truly lit up my passion for fantasy novels again!
My favorite thing about McSpaddens writing is her incredibly rich and well thought out language. Every scentence is beautifully structured without feeling forced. McSpaddens language together with her great skills at storytelling and world building makes Praetorian Rising an amazing adventure and a wonderful novel. It fee
Drew Menard
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a world the author has created! The story hold intrigue as the plot continues to twist and turn with new mysteries. The protagonist takes you on a wild journey of self-discovery, filled with both intense and tender character moments and gritty, heart-pounding action. As more and more doors to this realm are unlocked, there only seems to be that much more to discover.
Chloe Hodge
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Praetorian Rising is a fast-paced, action packed story set in a world brimming with complex characters. McSpadden’s writing style is easy to read and flows nicely, with even pacing throughout the majority of the book.

There are many action scenes in this story which I thoroughly enjoyed, but I would like to see more depth into battle strategy, fighting techniques and weaponry.

I loved the world building and character development, and hope to see more background on these characters in book 2. Howe
Richard Ford
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book based entirely on the cover and title, without prior research.

Praetorian Rising is an enjoyable romp through a well thought-out world known as "Aspera". The world is the book's strongest selling point (apart from the cover), complete with enough similarities to our world that we feel right at home.
The story is interesting and full of enough mystery to keep the reader hooked throughout. Sets up beautifully for future sequels.
I found the writing very easy to follow and read, not
Caroline Noe
Apr 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Camille is rescued from a dungeon and left in a village, waking to find that she has no memory of her traumatic past. When two men reappear in her life, they herald the arrival of monsters, villains and appalling flashes of past violence. But the future may hold even more revelations than her past.
McSpadden's Praetorian Rising is clearly the first installment of a proposed series with the cliffhanger that brings, but it carries enough plot mystery and intrigue to make it an entertaining pageturn
Effy J. Roan
May 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
A fascinating world and story

Praetorian Rising is action-packed and full of interesting bits of world building and what happened in the main character's past. It's a fascinating mixture of medieval and modern type technologies. It easily kept me reading. There were some typos that I found distracting, but they didn't keep me from finishing the book. I look forward to the second one.
Randy Harmelink
I wasn't a fan of the way the world was revealed and there were a lot of repetitious sections related to the amnesia and the romance aspects of the story. Several times I came close to relegating the book to the DNF shelf. Now I wish I had. :(

Obviously, I won't be continuing the series.
Angel Graham
Mar 13, 2020 rated it liked it
A decent book, but the end felt like it left so much unsaid. Not exactly a cliffhanger, but very close to one.
Eish B
Lots of questions remain unanswered but I like the waves of inner strength Camille sometimes showed. Would like to see more backbone in Camille and Answers to fill so many gaps in book-1 storyline.
Terrance Storbakken
Jun 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
This book has no ending. Even if an author wants to use the same characters again, there should still be an ending to the episode. I will not read any more books by this author.
Chelsea
Jun 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-books
I don't know why it too me so long to finish this book. There wasn't anything immediately wrong with it, and I did at times enjoy it. It just couldn't hook me, and the ending didn't resolve anything. No actual impact occurred.
G.K.
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lena
4* for potential, i like my h a bit more competent and not let herself be out of the loop hopefully that would be realized in the future

• Vengeance Blooms (Guardians of the Grove #1)
  • Nine Elms (Kate Marshall, #1)
  • Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic (The Dowser #1)
  • House of Earth and Blood (Crescent City, #1)
  • Blood Truth (Black Dagger Legacy, #4)
  • Broken Throne (Red Queen, #4.5)
  • The Killing Fog (The Grave Kingdom, #1)
  • Blood Heir (Blood Heir Trilogy, #1)
  • Throne of Sand (Desert Nights Novels, #1)
  • Woven in Moonlight (Woven in Moonlight, #1)
  • The Bad Seed
  • The Vanishing Season (The Collector, #4)
  • The Poison Garden
  • Before the Broken Star (The Evermore Chronicles #1)
  • Ava Episode One