Start by marking “Heart of Shadows (Alice Worth, #5)” as Want to Read:
Heart of Shadows (Alice Worth, #5)

Heart of Shadows

(Alice Worth #5)

Mage private investigator Alice Worth must solve the most difficult case of her career: her own.

A magic-induced bloodbath during a Vampire Court gala leaves Alice and her boyfriend, alpha werewolf Sean Maclin, wounded. Alice and her ghost sidekick Malcolm reluctantly agree to investigate the deadly supernatural attack. When they vanish without a trace, Sean, his pack, and
Published March 17th 2020 by City Owl Press

To ask other readers questions about Heart of Shadows, please sign up.
Lisa Edmonds March 17th, 2020! Cover reveal and pre-order links coming soon. :)

Start your review of Heart of Shadows (Alice Worth, #5)
Stacey is Sassy
Never trust the vampires…

I’ll admit that with all of the bad stuff going on in real life with Covid 19, I am looking for my reads to be completely un…real. Paranormal and historical romance is what I’m craving, so I’m not trying to gauge how they (the characters) would be coping with the Corona Virus. Sure, I wouldn’t mind having the vampires come in and give back to the community by donating their blood to cure the virus. I also wouldn’t mind a werewolf or two sharing their noses to ‘sniff out’
Denisa
3.5 Better than I expected

I don't normally like books in a series where the MC forgets their memory, so I was very pleasantly surprised to see that I really enjoyed this one (yay again for Alice!).

Unfortunately, I felt like I was reading a filler book. Not much happened in the main plot, and I was very excited to see how it would go on.

Oh well, still a very good series, and I'm still very excited to see where the story goes and what happens in the next book.
Only half a year left to wait until t
Andrea
I just feel like this series keeps getting better and better. But now that I'm all caught up I can't wait for the next book to come out!

Oh, and P.S.--Sean is a freakin top teir book boyfriend.
Give him the gold!

description
Laura (Kyahgirl)
I’d like to thank the author for gifting me with an ARC to read and review.

Since I discovered the Alice Worth Series a couple of years ago I’ve become a stalwart fan. She doesn’t disappoint.
In Heart of Shadows the story starts off with Alice having been hurt. I admit I felt reluctant to dive in at first because I just wanted the poor woman to have a break! But, once things got going, the world building and characters grabbed me, as always.
One thing I really liked about this addition was that w
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
I love this series in general, and I re-read the first four in preparation for this fifth release. Unfortunately this turned out to be my least favorite by far. The author still writes well, I still love the series and plan to continue, but for the bad parts:

1. Amnesia. I hate it. Loathe it. If it's the plot of a standalone, I avoid it. Having Amnesia in the main character for almost the entire book right in the middle of a series is a nightmare. I don't feel like seeing her meet people all over
Annika
Apr 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
description

First read: 04/2020 - 5 stars
Re-read: 10/2020 - still 5 stars!

Another brilliant addition to this series.
I feel like all the praise I want to unleash on this book, I've already said in my previous reviews, so I'll keep this short and simple:
I haven't come across any other series or any other author that has managed to satisfy my reading needs as perfectly as Lisa Edmonds and her Alice Worth. 5 books, 5 stars each. Unheard of for me!
♥ ♥ ♥
Rhiannon Chillingworth
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I discovered this series at the end of last year and binge read all of the current books, so imagine my delight when I got an ARC!

In my opinion, the previous books were some of the best new Urban Fantasy I have read in a long time, and this new installment was no different.

Alice is an incredibly complex, well drawn character, who has undergone really carefully thought out character development throughout the series. That level of characterisation is rare in the paranormal genres, in books that,
Dec 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Alice's latest case is to track down who is responsible for orchestrating a blood bath at the vampire court; however, in the course of the investigation, Alice's memories are wiped and all her powers taken, including her bond with Malcolm. Sean literally finds her on the side of the road, alone, mumbling to herself. Her friends rally around her to help and despite not knowing who she is, Alice still finds a way to get to the bottom of the case.

I usually don't like amnesia as a plot development,
Stephaniec
Apr 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Gwen
Mar 20, 2020 rated it liked it
The Year of the Brief Review...and this year is already 12 months to long
Despite being a HUGE fan of Lisa's books, this one just wasn't for me...I just can't stand the use of moving back and forward in time in a story. Despite the fact that it didn't reveal all and there was a nice twist at the end it still felt like, reading the end first ...I am clearly too linear in thinking (Yes, I did have something ruder in mind ).

So please don't let this review stop you reading the book, I am sure you w
Rosie Rizk
New characters, friends, allies, and villains. New types and uses of magic. Revelations and new perspectives. Each book in this series is its own episode with fresh content that's blended with the same old goodies that make this such a good series.

When a dangerous case takes a bad turn, and Alice's memories & abilities are stolen from her, Alice must rely more than ever on her friends to help her survive a new threat and to retrieve her identity.

I didn't like seeing Alice as the helpless victim.
InD'tale Magazine
The fifth installment in Lisa Edmonds’ Alice Worth series is absolutely fantastic! Readers who have read the first four books will not be disappointed with the continuing saga of Alice, Malcolm, and Sean.

Read full review in the 2020 May issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Bookgyrl
Another great Alice Worth story! I love this series so much.

This installment is constructed a bit differently as we move forward and back in time.
At the start Alice is found by Sean and the others, walking down a highway without memories or her magic. Malcolm is missing. What has happened? Who kidnapped her and where is her magic and Malcolm? Flashback to days earlier ....

I cannot say much more without spoiling the story, but I really liked and enjoyed this one. Sean for one was again amazing a
Lorena
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received a digital ARC of this book directly from Lisa Edmonds, in exchange for an honest review. The short review is, I loved it! This is a terrific series, and Edmonds does a fantastic job of growing the characters and upping the stakes with each new book. Heart of Shadows is another fast-paced, nail-biter of a ride, from start to finish. Alice is a great character, and I really enjoy spending time with her. Her support team gets better and better, also. My only quibble is not having the nex ...more
Luisa Felice
May 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
I wasnt crazy about the time swotcheng and the memory loss is usually something i hate but this was really good
Jennifer S
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amazing!!

This series is absolutely amazing. These books belong on bookstore shelves competing with those of Kim Harrison, Illona Andrews, and Faith Hunter. Every single book keeps getting better and better.
In this installment of the Alice Worth series, Alice loses her magic and memories. While she works to gain everything back we learn some juicy tidbits about her, Valas, Charles, Carly, and even Nan. Alice's relationship with Sean and the pack finally makes some progress and we learn some hard
Kristi
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
This series has become one of my favorites. Each book keeps getting better and better. I highly recommend this if your looking for action, magic, and awesome paranormal characters. Alice has had a hard road, but she is a fighter. Shes learning to accept herself and help from loved ones as needed. Can't wait for her story to continue. Start at the beginning you won't be disappointed! ...more
Becky
Feb 23, 2020 added it
The book had my full attention from start to finish, you can feel the character growth in the book more so, I believe, in this one than the previous four.

Sean's character in particular shows a lot more depth in this book and Alice is finally coming to terms with their relationship and the changes it has lead to in her own character.

I love the entire Alice Worth series and its unbelievable how much better the story gets with each book.

Cant wait for the next book 😁
Helen Wawrejko
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
For a fabulous UF series, this is the author to go to. Alice is a powerful mage. Sean, her lover, is the alpha werewolf. When a blood bath happens at the vampire ball, the investigation in to it leads Alice down a deadly path. The pack, the vampire court, and horrendous magic weaves this into an action packed mystery thriller. Read in order. You will not be disappointed.
Linda
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing installment!!!

I will be honest with you, I went into reading this book expecting to be frustrated. The other 4 books frustrated me and by the 5th book in a series I have certain expectations for the main couple. I read the summary (and the teaser 1st chapter) and went, “oy vey, how much more difficult can we make their relationship”. Well, this book has taught me that my mother is yet again correct – you cannot base a book on it’s cover or summary (literally this time). I could n
Krista
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A great big thank you to Lisa Edmonds for the opportunity to read this ARC. This is a truly exceptional entry in the Alice Worth series. It had many nail-biting moments and I have to admit to pleading with Ms. Edmonds in my mind to please let things resolve well. I do not often enjoy time jumps in a story but this really worked here. There is real forward momentum with the characters. This is a must read.
Vintagebooklvr
May 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Action galore and strong characters. But what I really loved is the growth of Alice through these books. She's come a long way. In spite of being told how devious vampires could be, I was really impressed just how underhanded Charles has been for a very long time. I admit, I was fooled for a time but Alice and her werewolf love are perfect for each other. ...more
Susan
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
WOW! What a fantastic installment in the Alice Worth series. Even with no memory or magic, Alice is still bada$$! Love how Alice grows in each book. It’s packed with action and romance right from the start. Buckle up, you’re in for a ride!
Wende
Nov 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Not my favorite

I have to say this book was not as good for me as others was. I don't like jumping around in different times. This one did that. Nothing against the book as I am sure others enjoy books like this. I do not. Sorry
Steph
(Next book, Heart of Vengeance, coming this fall)
Chloë Manaoui
Pow!!
Awesome. Intense. Awesome!!!
.... Can't wait for this f***ing vamps to get what they deserve .
jeliy
Jun 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-urban
Actual stars 4.5.
Elaina Kay Audette
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
To be honest this was my favorite book in the series so far. The amount of self growth Alice has gone through in this book alone was tremendous and I think she is so much better for it. However, and I'm not going to spoil anything, she still has a long road ahead of her in the coming novels. This book was fast-paced, intense, and gritty. I totally reccomend this series to anyone who loves a good urban fantasy book with a kickass heroine, fantastic characters, and a powerful romance. ...more
Katyana
I enjoyed it, but I've got to say, I'm really ready for Alice and Sean to get 2 days free of drama, to put their lives together. I was shocked when I realized the entire shitshow of this book happened 2 days or something after the last book ended.

I wouldn't mind the next book jumping ahead a few months, because ... I feel like they've had relationship growth that is serious, but that's hard to believe when we're reminded that they met like 2 months ago. I'd like to feel that settle in, you know
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Sabotaged (Sundance, #3)
  • Echoed Defiance (Jacky Leon, #4)
  • Broken Loyalty (Jacky Leon, #3)
  • Infernal Enchantment (Firebrand, #2)
  • Brimstone Bound (Firebrand, #1)
  • Midnight Smoke (Firebrand, #3)
  • Summoned (Sundance, #2)
  • Death & Desire (The Jezebel Files, #2)
  • Spiked (Sundance #1)
  • Shadows & Surrender (The Jezebel Files #3)
  • Bounty (Kaliya Sahni, #1)
  • Blood & Ash (The Jezebel Files, #1)
  • Snared (Kaliya Sahni, #2)
  • Family and Honor (Jacky Leon #2)
  • Magitek (The Rift Chronicles, #1)
  • Shattered (Sundance #4)
  • Knights Magica (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #5)
  • Revenge & Rapture (The Jezebel Files #4)
Lisa Edmonds was born and raised in Kansas. A graduate of Buhler High School, she studied English and forensic criminology at Wichita State University. After acquiring her Bachelor’s degree, she considered a career in law enforcement as a behavioral analyst before earning a Master's from Wichita State and then a Ph.D. in English from Texas A&M University.

She is currently an associate professor of

Alice Worth (7 books)
  • Heart of Malice (Alice Worth, #1)
  • Heart of Fire (Alice Worth #2)
  • Heart of Ice (Alice Worth, #3)
  • Heart of Stone (Alice Worth, #4)
  • Heart of Vengeance (Alice Worth, #6)
  • Heart of Lies (Alice Worth 7)

News & Interviews