Start by marking “Ten Thousand Miles Without a Cloud” as Want to Read:
Ten Thousand Miles Without a Cloud

Ten Thousand Miles Without a Cloud

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  189 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Ten Thousand Miles Without a Cloud is a beautifully written account of Sun Shuyun's journey to retrace the steps of one of the most popular figures in Chinese history -- the monk Xuanzang, who travelled to India searching for true Buddhism.Xuanzang should be known as one of the world's great heroes. His travels across Asia to bring true Buddhism back to China are legendary ...more
Published 2003 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Ten Thousand Miles Without a Cloud, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ten Thousand Miles Without a Cloud

Jan-Maat
Did you grow up watching Monkey Magic? (view spoiler) That was what the Japanese TV version, dubbed into English of the Chinese classic Journey to the West was called. Not that we knew it was a classic of Chinese literature - instead we valued this simple tale of a Buddhist monk's journey from China to India to fetch more Buddhist scriptures back to China for the Enlightenment of the people for its fre ...more
John
Jan 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: travel, history
I was a bit concerned that the history would overwhelm the modern travel narrative aspect, but that didn't really happen. Good book, but not great, unless you have a specific interest in Buddhism or ancient Chinese history.
Mai Đức
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Đọc một quyển sách như đi ngàn dặm đường. Cuộc hành trình khám phá chính mình đã bắt đầu. Mong sao như ngài Huyền Trang không tới đích không quay đầu.
P
Mar 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reading
Dù là người Công giáo nhưng tôi vẫn rất thích đọc những chuyện và người liên quan đến Phật giáo.

Quyển này, thiếu một chút phong vị cá nhân của tác giả để được 4 sao đối với tôi. Hơi đáng tiếc, dù vậy chuyến đi xa và nhiều gian nan này vẫn rất đáng nhớ.
Michael Bafford
May 16, 2015 rated it liked it
I got this from a friend who enjoyed it. I found myself wading through the beginning hoping; "when she gets to India it will get better". And it did. In China Ms. Sun had too many memories of family and of growing up during the cultural revolution. I am not really interested in modern history.

Also I was disappointed that there was very little walking in Xuanzang's footsteps. A lot more travelling by train, plane and taxi. Travelling by bus was apparently gruelling. One place was unreachable as
Hock Tjoa
Jan 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Without drama, Sun tells of her journeys to the many places that Xuan Zang, the 7th century Chinese monk made to the "West"--Central Asia (the Silk Road) and India. His story was retold with much fantasy and "paranormal" incidents in the 15th century and is regarded as one of the Four great classic novels. It could rightly be called The Monkey King, after one of the superheroes that was chosen to protect the monk on his journey.
"Ten thousand miles" is the sober and sensible but fascinating stor
Shantiwallah
Nov 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: thos interested in the early spread of Buddhism, Buddhist images, and personal travel journeys
Shelves: travel
I thoroughly enjoyed this book although I think you need a real interest in Buddhism and/or historical Buddhist art to enjoy it completely. The most interesting information was on the presence of Buddhism in what we would now only know of as purely Muslim areas of the world (The bombing of the giant Buddha images at Bamiyan gave the world a clue about this)and also ways in which ancient Greek and Buddhist art have been connected. When my friend read this book she was disillusioned by the author' ...more
Marianne
Dec 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Ten Thousand Miles Without A Cloud is the first book by Sun Shuyun. It details Sun’s experience as she tries to follow in the footsteps on Xuanzang, a Buddhist monk who, in the 7th century, made a pilgrimage through Central Asia and into India, to find the original sutras of the Buddha. Xuanzang made his trip during a time of political unrest, as does Sun; both confront obstacles and both come to understand Buddhism and themselves better for their encounters with others on the way. I found mysel ...more
The Bibliophage
This is my first time to read a book dedicated to Buddhism. I am always fascinated on the tradition of Buddhism so I could say that it was luck or destiny when I found this book in the bookstore. I was totally clueless on Buddhism's beginning and this book enlightened me on as much as everything I want to know about it. Prior to this, I was not aware that there are different forms of Buddhism and this novel open my mind about them.

The journey of Xuanzang is truly remarkable and he's really a gr
Valerie
Jan 17, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone curious about Buddhist history, Sinophiles
Recommended to Valerie by: Achala
This book was a pleasure. Sun retraces Xuanjang's 16 c. journey along the Silk Road from China to India. A Buddhist monk, Xuanjang wished to return to the land of Buddha's origins to recover a felt-absence in then-Chinese Buddhist practice. By retracing his famous journey, Sun is also attemoting to recapture her family's --and China's, and very nearly India's-- lost legacy of Buddhism.

It's a good travel story, too, as she ventures to places most of us won't reach, such as Kyrgyzstan. If the boo
planetkimi
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I picked up Ten Thousand Miles Without a Cloud looking for a perspective on the 16th century Chinese Novel Journey to the West, but I learned so much more from this fascinating book. I learned that Xuanzang was pretty much the opposite of his character in the novel, which was written nearly a thousand years after his actual journey to the West. I learned about what it was like to grow up in communist China. I learned about oases on the Silk Road both currently and in the 7th century BCE. I learn ...more
Nancy 'hedge'
Aug 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
what a journey the Chinese have had. This may seem at times a bit tedious, but is worth the read if nothing else to understand what has happened in the recent past to form this country as it is today.
Princessrandom24
Jul 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
If you like ancient history and/or Asian culture, this book is great! It has vivid discriptions that will make you feel like you are seeing it with your own eyes. Maybe I just say that because I have actually seen many of the places she talks about... :)
Briana
Mar 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
A Chinese-American woman's journey to find herself - following the path of a seventh century monk along the Silk Road (China, India...)
Ayla
Aug 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Very engaging and intimate. I read it twice. I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in Chinese history and culture, Buddhism, or in just a plain good read!
Katie
May 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Great to read after having read 'Chasing the monk's shadow.' Interesting how she wove in her own search for her identity.
Praveen Peethambaran
Jun 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Started reading 'Ten thousand Miles without a Cloud', a interesting journey into the journey of Buddhist monk Xangzung...
Huy
Jul 12, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Đọc được vài chương và quyết định để dàng mang theo chuyến du lịch sắp tới, có lẽ rất là hợp :D

13/09: Ngừng đọc vì có lẽ lúc này chưa phải lúc thích hợp để đọc, đọc mà chẳng thấy vô gì cả.
Nina
Sep 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Fascinating insight into the relationships between China and India over millennia as well as absorbing reflections upon spiritual beliefs, politics, and economics over generations.
Ann Balmforth
Sep 09, 2015 rated it did not like it
Not sufficiently well written or interesting.
Nipun Cp
Apr 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great Book if you want to know about history of china from a common woman's perspective. An eye opener to an Indian who is blinded by pride of nationalism
Savita Sharma
  • China in the 21st Century
  • Playing for Thrills
  • My Country And My People
  • Dance of the Four Winds: Secrets of the Inca Medicine Wheel
  • The Writing on the Wall: Why We Must Embrace China as a Partner or Face It as an Enemy
  • A Writer's People: Ways of Looking and Feeling
  • Beijing Confidential: A Tale of Comrades Lost and Found in the New Forbidden City
  • North of Ithaka: A Granddaughter Returns to Greece and Discovers Her Roots
  • Delhi By Heart: Impressions of a Pakistani Traveller
  • The Way of the White Clouds
  • The Corpse Walker: Real Life Stories, China from the Bottom Up
  • Hong Kong
  • Daughter of the River: An Autobiography
  • Double Happiness: One Man's Tale of Love, Loss, and Wonder on the Long Roads of China
  • News From Tartary
Sun Shuyun was born in 1963. She graduated from Beijing University and won a scholarship to Oxford. A filmmaker and television producer, she has made documentaries for the BBC, Channel 4, PBS, and the Discovery Channel.
More about Sun Shuyun...