Start by marking “Simon Says” as Want to Read:

Simon Says

Her new life may not be perfect but she’s happy. Until she makes a terrible decision – and learns the hard way that home is not a place of refuge.

Not while Simon lurks in every shadow.

He groomed her as a teen: terrorised her into fleeing and leaving her baby behind. Now the man who destroyed her childhood has become the perfect father to her teenage daughter. And her
Published July 11th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Simon Says, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Simon Says

Start your review of Simon Says
Dash fan
4 A Dark, Gritty, Twisty, Realistic Domestic Thriller that will get under your skin!

Simon Says is a gripping,compulsive, heart breaking twisty Domestic Thriller that will get under your skin.

I'm not too sure where to start with my review for this one as the blurb is really very intriguing and gives you a good glimpse into this dark book.
I don't want to give too much away as it's as book that is in two timelines and thoroughly addictive!

Simon Says is a heart breaking, twisty, compulsive, gritty,
Linda Strong
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it

Simon is a desperate man ... a dangerous man. He groomed Cindy from a young age and in the end forced her to leave home ... leaving her baby behind.

She is back .... with her twin children after narrowly escaping a house fire with their lives.

Simon is still around ... having become the perfect father to her daughter. When Cindy returns (as Karis) he fears her interference and warns her once more to leave or suffer the direst of consequences.

Her choices ... face her demons and Simon ..... or run
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
A riveting read full of heartbreak.

This is an emotional read and written as though I knew Cindy, the main character so much. My heart broke for what life dished out so many times.

I have to mention this needs a trigger warning around rape, as I know it may distress some.

The book is written over two timelines. There is Cindy as a young teenager and her now, an adult. She goes through so much it is impossible not to feel for her.

Jo Wesley has represented all the characters in a way that's very
Shalini
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Years ago when I was bright and innocent, I played the game Simon Says. Now decades later, I read the book and it raised my hackles. Innocence lost, oh so slowly, grooming a child of 14, making her pregnant and threatening her brought my need for justice to the forefront. Oh, how my vengeant heart wanted revenge!!

Author Jo Wesley has written a book so authentic that I couldn't help but see the scenes like a movie horrifying. The creepiness slithered silently like a snake, its venom subtle but
Lorraine Cannell
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great read with two equally brilliant stories woven into one

Simon Says is a fantastic read with two timelines, the past life of Cindy, a fifteen-year-old girl, living in an emotionally toxic household, and then her future life as Karis - a mum herself with twins. As Karis, she has made her way in life the best way that she can, but when that life is ripped out from under her, she goes back 'home' and has to face up to the past. This was a compelling read that kept me rooting for the main
Philomena Callan Cheekypee
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved-it
This is a brilliant debut read.

We get two stories here that are connected. Cindy, a teenager and then as Karis.
She has tried to move on but finds herself right back into her past.

I thought this was a great read. Although we don’t like to believe it, parts of this happens in real life and I’m glad the author brings it to the forefront.

I’m so looking forward to reading more from this author in the future
Bradd Chambers
Dec 07, 2019 rated it liked it
An interesting concept jumping from past and present. Topical after the initial height of the #MeToo campaign. The eyes of the victim and how their lives can sometimes never be the same after going through something as traumatic as this. Would recommend. Thank you TBC for my copy.
Caitlyn Lynch
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller
The most horrifying thing about Simon is that if you’re a woman, you’ve met a Simon. He was That Guy who first made an inappropriately sexual comment to you, when you were 14 or 12 or maybe even as young as 9. He might have been a sports coach, a teacher, a relative, your older sister’s boyfriend (as was the Simon in this book), or just some random dude on the bus. You might have been lucky to get away with nothing more than an icky feeling after being perved on by an older guy inappropriately ...more
Joanne Cartwright
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Simon Says is written in two voices- Karis, mother of twins in the current day and Cindy, the girl she used to be back in her teens.

Karis escapes from a house fire, saving her twins but unable to rouse her partner Jez from his drunken slumber, leaving him in the burning house. Scared for her life she takes Jez's car and flees home to her mother.

Cindy is the victim of an uncaring mother and a bossy older sister. She has one good friend, the boy next door and is easy prey for Simon, who is
Mrs L
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book by this author I have read, and it won't be the last. The book is written with two intertwined time lines, past and present.
It follows Cindy and her dysfunctional family from the age of about 11. Her dad is not around, her mum has a new boyfriend, her older sister dislikes her but her sisters boyfriend is overly attentive. Cindy doesn't like school, and does not have many friends, she spends her time hanging around outside, and stealing and smoking cigarettes. Her sisters
Jodi
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love a dark psychological thriller and this one did not disappoint.

After a terrible incident, with it's own consequences, we find Cindy escaping to the safety of her childhood home. Except that home is not the safe refuge she thinks it is and is full of heart break and bad memories. How can she keep her children safe when Simon lurks around every corner?

The story goes back and forth in time building up the twists in the tale. Child grooming, domestic abuse, teenage pregnancy and the wrench of
Amanda
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book gripped me from the first page, Karis escaping a house fire with her twins leaving Jez to die, she escapes back to her mum's home. What is she running from and what is she running into. No matter which way she turns she has to face and deal with her life as Cindy a teenager who was groomed and destroyed not only by her sisters boyfriend but by her mum and sister. The only person she could ever rely on was Troy, can he help her put her life back together.
Harrowing at times reading what
Yasmin
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
christine hodson
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic story

I found this by chance so thought I'd try it. At the end of the first chapter I just had to keep reading. This was an extremely well written novel, with characters that were so real. Cindy's story was so sad, I was rooting for her to find happiness. The ending was lovely.
Beccy Thompson
I received a copy of this book from TBC Reviewers request- Thank you
A fantastic read, Jo has the ability to manipulate within the story 2 timelines (past and present) keeping them separate and tying them together. A dark and twisted read that really gripped me! Thank you for keeping me up all night!
Sophie Bristow Harris
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This debut book “Simon Says” by Jo Wesley is a fantastic read. Set over the past and present it reads smoothly and was a joy to read.
There’s just the right amount of characters who are all written so well that the reader really feels they know them.
There’s heartache, love and fear - a superb book which kept me glued to my phone for 2 days. Highly recommended.
Elaine Plumridge
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliantly written with flavours of This is England

When I read this I was instantly transported to the world of Cindy. It was so well written- attention to detail you felt you were right there. It had a gritty edge to it- which reminded me of the dysfunctional families in This is England...I am going to read it again ... I loved it!
Sian Steen
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
So first of all - what a refreshing change to enjoy a British domestic noir! I always think British stuff is more gritty, and I definitely felt it with this book.

The changes in timelines was handled well, and I never felt confused about 'when' I was in the story. They also came together well at the end.

Very dark and enjoyable!
Lindsay
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
So this book kept me up all night as I couldn’t put it down until I got to the end. I really enjoyed this psychological thriller about a woman on the run after a house fire who is forced to go back and confront her past head on even though there she is also in danger there as well. It doesn’t disappoint.
Louisa Mansell
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great book, kept me hooked. Loved the characters but the lack of twist at the end stopped me giving 5 ...more
Sharon Innes
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very good

This story was told very well with very believable characters. The story line told through the mind of a child was really well put together with a good ending.
janice robertson
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Simon Says

First time I have read a book by this author and I have to say what a brilliant thriller from start to finish definitely give stars
stephenie pugh
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great read

An open honest account of life past present and the future with unexpected twists and turns great read
Marina Bright
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent read. I really enjoyed it.
Tracey
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Page turning

I couldn't put it down, emotional at times but a page turner. The strength of Cindy fight ing for the truth
Christine Hope
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fab read , it really drew me in and kept me there....
Helen Encarnacao
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An excellent read! Just could not put this book down!!
Woofas
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Don't know if it is the subject or the style of writing, but something made me feel very uneasy whilst reading this book and it bothers me that that I cannot understand why.
MRS PATRICIA PAGE
Dec 02, 2019 rated it did not like it
Book didn't live up to expectations

The author writes in such a long winded way that it takes almost a chapter to tell the most basic of stories. Found the book very boring and too wordy. Gave up a quarter of the way through

Jasmine
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Simon Says is a dark, mildly disturbing thriller that, thankfully, doesn't end on a depressing note.

It tells the story of Cindy, and each chapter switches between when Cindy was 14 and her present day life. The book opens with Cindy running for her life after her house catches fire. That fire sets off the chain of events that propel the rest of the story forward. Forced to return to her childhood home with her twins, the memories of that summer when she was 14 start flooding back, and boy, they

• The Regret