Start by marking “Un día más en el paraíso” as Want to Read:
Un día más en el paraíso

Un día más en el paraíso

Con tan solo catorce años, Bobbie Prine ocupa su tiempo reventando máquinas expendedoras y gastándose el botín en speed, pastillas y jaco. Tras recibir una brutal paliza de un guarda de seguridad, Bobbie es atendido por el grandullón Mel, médico militar expulsado del ejército por yonqui y convertido en ladrón profesional. Mel y su novia, Syd, acogerán a Bobbie y tratarán d ...more
Published July 3rd 2019 by Sajalín (first published October 2nd 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Un día más en el paraíso, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Un día más en el paraíso

Start your review of Un día más en el paraíso
Sean
May 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Ever read a title that is "fiction" and get the feeling that the only reason it falls into that category is to protect the guilty? This is one such title. A very fast paced romp through the world of thievery, from petty to professional. A cautionary tale about the troubles in that making a living illegally can lead to. From drug overdoses, drug deals gone bad, to the details of a high profile robbery the story is a bawdy romp through the underworld.

One of my all time favorites.
Thomas Flannery
Mar 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Truly one of the most beautiful books I've ever read. Vividly believable damaged characters and prose that is both raw and gorgeous. It's a real shame Eddie Little succumbed to his addiction, but as his book implies it was only a matter of time.
Robin Jonathan Deutsch
Found this gem at my local library book sale.

It's based on fictional accounts of Eddie Little's life as a drug addict, thief and criminal. A whirlwind page turner, it has enough drugs, sex and bad people to fill several books. Unfortunately, Little wrote only one other novel, Steel Toes. His first effort, however, is hard core and brutal.

Another Day In Paradise was made into a film featuring James Woods and Melanie Griffith.
He died of a heart attack at age 48 on May 20, 2003. He was alone in a
Sabina
Jul 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
4,5 estrellas. Quieres viajar a los bajos fondos? No te importa leer sobre violencia? Quieres sentir como un niño de 15 años se destrozan la vida con drogas, crímenes y demás? Pues este es tu libro!
Demetrios Dolios
I remember when book came out, didnt read it then, but always in the back of mind. 20 plus years later now forgotten Little it was time. Still stands. What a coming of age story. These kids are still around like Bobbie. You really feel for the protagonist and the "push" and pulls' he goes through and in the end there is a transition of character, maybe not the people would expect, but that could be considered "another day in paradise".
Lidia
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5
Pete D'angelo
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a gritty book of drugs and crime, based off events from the author's life. the narrator is just a kid, 14 years old, which when you reflect on it is quite sad. the novel starts and he is a speed freak and petty thief. after getting into a serious fight with security guard during a botched robbery, he meets mel, an experienced thief and junky. the two take to each other, and head off with their girlfriends on a road trip guided by inside tips on burglary jobs. the characters are interesting and t ...more
Lester
Aug 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was recommended to me by a buddy of mine who writes for GUNS & AMMO. He heard I'm a fan of Ed Bunker's crime writing, and recommended I check this out--think THE BASKETBALL DIARIES crossed with a road novel, with robbery, killing and young (tragic?) love taking a key role in this story, and you'll get the idea of what this is like for me so far. I'm still in the thick of it, so I'll revise this review once I'm totally done--but I'm seriously digging it so far! ...more
Sezer Canbolat
kan, ter, gözyaşı.
Dan Danger
writing was alright. the prose got too annoying the story was predictable. movie was better, all you need to know about the story is in the aesthetic.
Ryan Leone
Apr 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this for the first time when I was much younger. Eddie Little was part of a very small group of crime realists. The way he painted noir with his words is something that I will forever treasure. Jerry Stahl compared me to Eddie Little and Hubert Selby Jr. — those were some of the most flattering words I’ve ever heard. If you haven’t read this you’re in for a real treat. He also wrote ‘Steel Toes’ — A sequel; they are hard to find because the book has been out of print for many years. My fa ...more
Douglas Genowski
Pretty good book but Larry Clark's movie is a fucking masterpiece as far as I'm considered. Around half way through the books story. The movie veers off has the sense to wrap up and I think hits harder. The book feels like a telling of a true story going over all the people places / passage of time of on the lamb life. Slows way down. My only other gripe is the time they spend with the Preacher and his people, takes forever. There's really an effort to show that they go hiding for months. At a p ...more
David
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Increíble
Cristin Rose
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book so much.
Erik Essington
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing author. It’s a shame we have very little of his writing.
J Higgins
Aug 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is more or less a study of the miserable life of being a criminal; rather than feel as though the characters are somehow empowered through their crimes, they are subjugated by them. All four of the principle characters are addicted to one substance or another, and they're all in need of their next fix, so they rob places.

While that perspective is fresher, and the writing has a clipped Hammet style to, there's not a lot of new ideas in this book.
Wijnand Marchal
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, this book captives, the electrifying prose gets you high on adrenaline. Indeed, the high-speed literary cousin of Pulp Fiction. Gives an amazing and sobering insight - even realistic, but what do I know? - in the world of crime, crack and outlaws. Combined with American sub-culture which I am fascinated with, country music and road trips. A bad-ass book with a high-end rating.
Mason
Dec 08, 2006 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eddie Little was one of my favorite journalists, but he died in 2003. His two novels about a youthful criminal and his heroin habit aren’t flawless, but they’re still entertaining, and Little’s relationship with the language is enjoyable to witness.
Jackson
I couldn't help but feel this had all been done before. Nevertheless, there were some fantastically beautiful passages that weaved their way seamlessly throughout the racy, adrenaline fueled story. I wonder what the Larry Clark movie is like. ...more
Adam
Jun 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who want to understand crime
I learned that crime is exciting and frightening, and for the people that choose it, less painful than most of the other choices they can make. It made me worry. I like it.
Jim
Sep 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
love the way this guy wrote, great LA book
Jenn
Jan 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recall enjoying this one many years ago. It was supposed to have been made into a movie starring James Woods and Melanie Griffith which I think I caught the tail end of, but have never fully seen.
Debbie Lynn
Oct 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved this book. Quirky to say the least.
Keith
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The writing style was a bit ragged, but Mr Little sure can tell a story. The detail was so good that it was hard to tell if I was reading fact or fiction. Not for the faint hearted.
Jody
Nov 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Exciting and heartbreaking, honor among thieves, smart kid born with no chance... All that. I read this because I enjoyed the movie so much. The ending of the book is far better.
Patrick O'Neil
Eddie Little writes another dopefiend crime novel. Much like his first book Steel Toes, Another Day in Paradise captures the essence of it all.
Jesus Gijón