Start by marking “Revenge Is Sweet (Vintage Sweets Mysteries #1)” as Want to Read:
Revenge Is Sweet (Vintage Sweets Mysteries #1)

Revenge Is Sweet

(Vintage Sweets Mysteries #1)

In the picturesque tourist town of Fredericksburg, Texas, Tally Holt has opened a new candy store with a vintage twist . . .but there’s no sugar-coating a nasty case of murder . . .

Tally Holt has poured her heart, soul, and bank account into Tally’s Olde Tyme Sweets, specializing in her grandmother’s delicious recipes. Tally’s homemade Mallomars, Twinkies, fudges, and
Expected publication: March 10th 2020 by Lyrical Press

To ask other readers questions about Revenge Is Sweet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Revenge Is Sweet

Start your review of Revenge Is Sweet (Vintage Sweets Mysteries #1)
Linda 📚
A good start to a sweet new cozy series taking place in the cozy tourist town of Fredericksburg, Texas. Two friends split the role of protagonist (IMO)—Tally Holt, owner of Olde Tyme Sweets, and Yolanda Bella, owner of Bella’s Baskets. Both are hard workers intent on operating successful businesses on their own. Missing money from the cash drawer and a murder in Tally’s kitchen create unwanted havoc in their shops and on their nerves.

I enjoyed the charming setting, and the Maine coon cat, Nigel.
Peggy R
This is the first book in a new series by Author Kaye George, who is an author I have not previously read. I was looking forward to this debut in the series as it sounded intriguing. The setting was charming and the mystery unfolded at a nice pace throughout the book. However, where it fell flat for me was with the characters. I found it difficult to have the story told from the dual point of view of both protagonists. I found it a bit confusing at some points in the book. I also didn't really ...more
beachbum bookworm
I was so excited when I heard I was getting the chance to visit Texas! Fredericksburg, Texas to be exact, and I was going to be meeting Tally Holt and her best friend Yolanda Bell. They own shops right next door to each other...Tally’s Olde Tyme Sweets and Bella’s Baskets….sounds like so much fun! Well upon arriving it was until…... Tally’s fridge broke down, and she had to bring in Gene Faust. Gene is Fredericksburg’s bad boy….and adopted son of the mayor. It seems Gene has been dating well… ...more
Nancy Baker
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was ok
Rich descriptions really help the reader become comfortable with Tally's Olde Tyme Sweets set in Fredericksburg, Texas in this first in a series mystery. Unfortunately, I did not find the characters very likable. The protagonist Tally Holt was surrounded by a number of flawed individuals which caused her to be irritated a lot of the time. I would have preferred more cozy and less negative.
Kelcy
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, netgalley, kindle
2.5
I wasn't sure how to pinpoint what I liked/didn't like so, the easiest way to do that was to make a list.

What I Liked:
-NIGEL (Main Coon cozy companion)
-Setting has great potential. ( cute shop/small town - the staple of fun cozies)
-Sister/sister relationship between Yolanda and Violetta. I feel like this is one you don't see in too many cozies so it was really fun to see that representation in here.
-The chase scene at the end. This is a very detailed scene that definitely stood our from the
Lola
Feb 08, 2020 marked it as dnf
I DNF'd this at 20%. I probably could've finished it and it might still get a 3 star barely. But after wading through the first few chapters I had to conclude it just wasn't gripping me. Something about the dialogue and writing style felt off to me. The conversation felt stilted and unnatural. The writing style wasn't working for me and the way the events where described didn't pull me in.

Very quickly and in what I thought was a forced way we get introduced to a bunch of possible suspects. I
Toni
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

This is the first book in the Vintage Sweets mystery series by Kaye George.

I enjoyed the complete mystery in this book as well as the theme of vintage chocolates. It never occurred to me that we could make our own versions of older treats. This would have been the perfect book for a recipe since I think the older readers among us would love to taste a bit of our own history.

Tally has started a vintage chocolate shop. Her shop next door neighbor is Yolanda at Bella’s Baskets. When Tally’
K.A. Davis
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 out of 5
REVENGE IS SWEET is the first book in brand new Vintage Sweets Mystery series by Kaye George. The reader is introduced to Tally Holt and her delectable shop, Tally’s Olde Tyme Sweets, and her best friend Yolanda Bella, owner of Bella’s Baskets. This is one of the very few cozy mysteries in which there are two protagonists with alternating points of view. I found that it was an effective way to impart information that wouldn’t appear from a single point of view. That said, I wasn’t
Brenda
Feb 22, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Revenge is Sweet is the debut of the Vintage Sweets Mystery series set in Fredericksburg, Texas and featuring Tally Holt, owner of Tally's Olde Tyme Sweets and her friend Yolanda Bella, owner of Bella's Baskets. The two are best friends who have set up shops next to each other on the main street and work together with Tally supplying delicious desserts to include in the extravagant baskets that Yolanda makes for all occasions.

Yolanda has been seeing the mayor's adopted son, Gene Faust. Gene has
Marsha
Feb 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Revenge is Sweet by Kaye George is the first in the Vintage Sweets Mysteries. This was the first book by this author for me.
I was excited to read this from the description, as the vintage candy theme caught my attention. I did enjoy that part of the story. I also liked Nigel, the Maine coon cat.
The downfall for me was the story has two main characters and the story jumped back and forth without a warning.
I enjoyed the setting and the additional characters are promising for the next book. I had
Holly
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the 1st book in a new cozy mystery series, Vintage Sweets series, by Kaye George and it is a winner! It has everything I like about cozy mysteries- likable interesting characters, an intriguing cozy mystery, and friendship. What's not to like? Tally owns an old fashioned sweets shop. Their handyman has a lot of girlfriends and some enemies. When he turns up dead, Tally decides to clear her shop and her best friend's name by figuring out who the killer is. I guessed who it was but wasn't ...more
Donna
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story takes place in the beautiful, Hill Country town of Fredericksburg, Texas. Tally Holt is the owner of her new candy shop, Tally’s Olde Tyme Sweets. The local handyman and adopted son of the mayor, Gene, is a real ladies man. He has been friendly with most of the single ladies in town that Tally knows. Gene has been doing repairs for Tally in her sweet shop when he is found murdered by a pair of scissors that belong to Tally's best friend. Tally then takes it upon herself to find out ...more
Jeannie
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 20
I had been looking forward to this series and I was definitely not disappointed. I immediately liked Tally and Yolanda the main characters in the book. The mystery unfolded steadily and I liked the setting of both the Sweet shop and the Basket shop. There were lots of suspects and I actually didn't figure out who had done it until near the end. Having a Maine coon cat myself, I loved that there is one in the story. Look forward to reading more in this series.
Karen
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a delightful first in a new series.
I enjoyed the characters and the premise of a vintage candy shop.
The friendships rang true and the whodunit was well written and kept me guessing.
I look forward to reading the next book in the series.
I voluntarily reviewed an advance reader copy of this book.
Valerie
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
found this book boring. I liked the chase scene at the end but that was it. The author kept going on about how bad the families of each of the characters were.
Kristin
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. Took me a while to get used to the two different viewpoints, Yolanda's and Tally's, but once I did, I enjoyed the story. Sometimes it was hard to remember that the author switched to the other character, but that was just me. Overall the story was really interesting and fun to figure out "whodidit" .Looking forward to the next in the series.
Jennifer Wilson
Abigail
Wendy
Janice
Dec 29, 2019

• Here Comes the Body (A Catering Hall Mystery #1)
  • Much Ado about Nutmeg (Pancake House Mystery #6)
  • Murder Makes Scents (Nantucket Candle Maker Mystery #2)
  • To Kill a Mocking Girl
  • Sell Low, Sweet Harriet
  • Theater Nights Are Murder
  • Can't Judge a Book By Its Murder (Main Street Book Club Mysteries #1)
  • Sealed Off (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #8)
  • Have a Deadly New Year (Farm-to-Fork Mystery #3.5)
  • The Key Lime Crime: A Key West Food Critic Mystery
  • In Cold Chamomile (A Tea and Read Mystery #3)
  • Death by Chocolate Frosted Doughnut (Death by Chocolate Mystery #3)
  • Bound for Murder (Blue Ridge Library Mysteries #4)
  • Egg Drop Dead (A Noodle Shop Mystery, #5)
  • Sugar and Vice (A Cookie House Mystery, #2)
  • Verse and Vengeance (A Magical Bookshop Mystery #4)
  • A Field Guide to Homicide (Cat Latimer Mystery #6)
  • Death on the Page (Castle Bookshop Mystery #2)
Kaye George, an Agatha nominated short story and novel writer, is the author of the Imogene Duckworthy Mystery series (Agatha nomination for best first novel), EINE KLEINE MURDER by Barking Rain Press (Silver Falchion Award finalist), DEATH IN THE TIME OF ICE (A Neanderthal Mystery) (Agatha nominee and Silver Falchion finalist) and the Fat Cat Mystery series by Berkley Prime Crime (as Janet ...more