Start by marking “The Whole Truth (DI Adam Fawley, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Whole Truth (DI Adam Fawley, #5)

The Whole Truth

(DI Adam Fawley #5)

When an Oxford student accuses one of the university's professors of sexual assault, DI Adam Fawley's team think they've heard it all before. But they couldn't be more wrong.

Because this time, the predator is a woman and the shining star of the department, and the student a six-foot male rugby player.

Soon DI Fawley and his team are up against the clock to figure out the tr
Published April 29th 2021 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about The Whole Truth, please sign up.
Suzi McGhie Much of the story is based on past events in the previous books. It does try to fill in the blanks for new readers to the series, but I think you woul…moreMuch of the story is based on past events in the previous books. It does try to fill in the blanks for new readers to the series, but I think you would enjoy it more if you had the full background.(less)

Start your review of The Whole Truth (DI Adam Fawley, #5)
Maureen
Dec 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Fifth in the ever popular DI Adam Fawley series, and ‘The Whole Truth’ is as fresh and inventive as the first.

Two storylines this time around, the first being a student/professor sexual abuse claim - but what makes this one really stand out, is the fact that the accuser is a strapping six foot rugby playing Male, and the predator is his highly accomplished Female professor.

The second storyline is a murder case that brings very much to the fore an attack some 18 years previously on DI Fawley’s wi
Paromjit
Sep 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Cara Hunter returns with her latest addition to her hugely popular Oxford based crime series featuring DI Adam Fawley. It proves to be a fast paced thrilling and twisted shocker of an adrenaline ride that continues with the completely unexpected revelations from the previous book. Once again, Hunter delivers with her trademark style of interspersing the narrative with press articles, voicemails, police interviews, podcasts, emails, phone calls, online local and national media, medical examiner f ...more
Peter
Evidence?
I have followed Cara Hunter from her debut for good reason – she’s brilliant. One of my favourite thriller writers does it again, and now her series is being adapted for TV. Cara delivers another police procedural with her police team that we grow a deeper and deeper connection with. The Whole Truth is captivating, full of mystery, tension, moral dilemma and outstanding in its observational power that urges you to think profoundly about various issues.

DI Adam Fawley and his team are inv
Ceecee
Oct 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
DI Adam Fawley and team are back! Yessss!!! In this one Gavin Parrie, The Roadside Rapist from a 1998 case, is out of prison and wants revenge, there’s a complicated she said/he said case brought to them by the Principal of Edith Launceleve College and stretching them even further is a missing woman case.

I think this series is among the best in current crime fiction because it’s exactly that - current, fresh and bang up to date with a superbly crafted police team at the core, who feel authentic
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: I wonder what she would have said if she knew the truth.

Gavin Parrie isn't stupid, she's right about that. And he'd have a hell of a lot to lose, she's right about that too. But he does have a reason. A reason that might - perhaps - be worth the risk.

Revenge.

Because he wasn't just venting, that day, in court.

He was guilty. He knows that and I know that. But there's something else we both know.

Gavin Parrie was convicted on a lie.

ABOUT 'THE WHOLE TRUTH': An attractive student. An ol
Pat (not getting friend updates currently)
This story was a bit different. There are two plots running through it. The book starts with a sexual abuse complaint (rather than a murder) but in this case the victim is a strapping young man and the perp is an older (albeit rather attractive) professor. Fawley’s team gets the case because the young man’s mother is a VIP but it proves to be anything but simple. With this case - everyone is an unreliable narrator and the worst of them was the professor’s 7 year old son. I still don’t know if he ...more
Carolyn
The truth certainly gets a work-out in this terrific new addition to Cara Hunter’s excellent crime series set in Oxford, featuring DI Adam Fawley.

First, there is the male postgrad student at an Oxford college who claims he was sexually assaulted by his academic mentor. He’s a six-foot rugby player so did she really try to force herself on him? She’s a professor and high flyer at her college with a lot to lose if the case goes to court, but is she also a predator who thinks she is powerful enoug
Susan
May 24, 2021 rated it liked it
The Whole Truth, DI Fawley book number five, received stellar reviews from friends and readers whose tastes run similar to mine.

The premise of a female professor taking liberties with a male student intrigued me since it’s a reversal of the usual trope. However, for some reason it didn’t catch fire with me.

This was my first by the author and I appreciated the diagrams and character breakdowns provided assisting me in getting up to speed starting in the middle of a series. But I was underwhelme
Alan Cotterell
Thank you to author Cara Hunter, Penguin books and Netgalley, for an ARC, in exchange for an honest review.

This was the first book in this series, for me I will have to go back and read the rest. I was pleasantly surprised to find a quick summary of the key members of the team at the start of the book. Which is a great idea, and every author with a series should do this. Especially if like me you read lots of different series and sometimes struggle to remember who is in which series. (Old age!).
NZLisaM
Oct 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Whole Truth, and nothing but the truth … Well, not really, because it wouldn't be a thriller if characters weren't hiding a lot.

A male graduate student accuses his female professor of sexual assault.

Engineers discover a body below a bridge on the tracks, but manage to alert the approaching train in time.

A young woman is reported missing when she fails to show up for work. Police discover her flat empty, door wide open, and purse, wallet, and keys on the coffee table.

DI Adam Fawley, and the C
Mandy White (mandylovestoread)
This maybe the best book in the DI Adam Fawley series so far! And that is a big call as they are all fantastic books. I could not turn the pages quick enough, I had to know what was going to happen and how it would all play out....no spoilers but you don't want to miss this one.

There is so much going on in The Whole Truth. We have a claim from an Oxford student of sexual assault by a professor - a case like none you have seen before. At the same time Adam and his wife are dealing with their past
Bex (Beckie Bookworm)
Untitled design-High-Quality
My Review

This is a police procedural centring around DI Adam Fawley, it’s the fifth book in the series and I do think it needs to be read in order or at least to have some experience of the previous books just for background.
I myself have read two of them so did have enough of an insight to follow along as there’s a lot of subtle nuances and internal dynamics that you may struggle with without this prior exposure to the series as a whole.
It’s also told from multiple POV’s which at times can get a bit con
Gary
Oct 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the 5th book in the DI Adam Fawley series by author Cara Hunter. I enjoyed the 1st book 'Close to Home' but somehow never got round to the other three books. Once I finished this novel I recalled how much I enjoyed the previous one and instantly ordered books 2,3 and 4 to get up to date.

The case is a little different to the normal. An Oxford student accuses one of the university's professors of sexual assault, sounds a familiar plot but the difference is the predator is a woman and the s
Andrew Smith
Apr 01, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This is the fifth book in a series featuring Oxford based Detective Inspector Adam Fawley and his team. I hadn’t read the earlier books but rather helpfully this one kicked off with a brief introduction to Fawley and his crew – I wish other series of this type would follow this lead, what a good idea.

We are introduced to two cases here, but I’ll only provide brief outlines so as not to spoil the fun for future readers:

1. A promising postgraduate student accuses a high profile female professor of
Amanda
Jan 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing

The “Whole Truth” is the 5th book in the D.I Adam Fawley series. I have to say this is one of my favourite authors and I just love this series!!

D.I Adam Fawley and his team are investigating a sexual abuse case regarding a professor and student. I love how the police and myself presumed it was a man abusing a young lady and no it was the other way around!!

The second investigation is an old case from 1998. Gavin Parrie named the “Roadside Rapist” has been released from prison. He is adamant that
Helga
May 11, 2021 added it
Shelves: crime, dnf, british, mystery, series
DNF at 60%

I can't believe i'm DNF-ing a Cara Hunter!

I have given 5 stars to this author's previous 4 books but this one's plot was so complicated and confusing that i give up. There are 2 different cases and too many characters. After struggling for 11 days my brain couldn't take it anymore.
Karen
May 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series and was delighted to be asked to review this for the blog tour. I have to admit there was some trepidation before starting this – Adam Fawley is one of my favourite book detectives after all and I had a feeling that things were not going to go well for him in this book. Also I have to say congratulations to Cara for The Whole Truth being one of Richard & Judy’s Book Club Spring 2021 picks.

The first thing you come to in the book are brief character summaries of the key members
Michelle
Oct 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
I got excited to receive a copy The Whole truth by Cara Hunter. I have been following the series from the start and loved them. The author never seems to disappoint. The Whole truth is the fifth book in the series.
This time Fawley and his team investigate a student claiming sexual harassment from his tutor. Not unusual but, the student is male, and the tutor is female. Whilst the investigation unfolds with the controversy it leads to this case Di Fawley is stressed not just because of this case
Roman Clodia
Sep 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like the previous books in the series, this is gripping and twisty with a contemporary and timely storyline of rape and non-consent, with a gender politics overlay. It is, though, very much a story of two halves as Fawley gets sidelined for acute troubles of his own, a development which I found barely credible, however interesting in a 'Line of Duty' way...

The format of podcasts, WhatsApp, reports etc. continues and can add to the disjointed feel with some very quick-switch cinematic moments, t
Gary
Oct 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Mike Musings Book Reviews
Mar 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: crime fans
When a telephone call to the local police station is followed up, the Oxford student’s accusation against a university professor is unusual. Tasked with finding the truth, DI Adam Frawley’s team is in a race against time, with conflicting stories and little evidence. In the meantime, his worried pregnant wife listens to a pod cast of one of his former cases. As the police investigate the tension and action builds until the simmering finale. This is the fifth instalment of the Adam Frawley series ...more
Jacki (Julia Flyte)
Sep 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
I've been a fan from the outset of the DCI Adam Fawley books by Cara Hunter. If you enjoy TV series like Line of Duty, they are right up your alley. Strong police procedurals with an engaging cast of characters. I was delighted to read in the afterword that Hunter’s just sold the rights for the series to be turned into a TV series - very exciting!

The plot weaves three strands together. It begins with police investigating an accusation of sexual assault. An Oxford professor has attacked a student
Lisa M
Nov 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have read this series from the start and was so excited to receive a review copy. It was so nice to be reunited with DI Adam Fawley and his fabulous police team.

It did take me a little while to get into the book. There were 2 stories running concurrently throughout and I was unclear at first if they were linked or not but once I understood more what was happening I raced through the 2nd half.

I've always been a fan of Cara's writing style and I love the inclusion of the police interview transc
The Book Review Café
The Whole Truth  by Cara Hunter, is the 5th book in the DI Adam Fawley series and it’s one of my favourite police procedure/crime thriller series. The author has a unique way of presenting her story (more about that in a while) which makes her books such a heart pounding read. Although this book could be read as a stand-alone, I would urge you to start at the beginning because this is undoubtedly a cracking crime series, and you will have a better understanding of the history of the characters. ...more
Zoe_reading_queen
May 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I have loved all of the DI Fawley books and this is definitely the best.
Had me gasping and on edge of my seat.
Definitely read them in order and you will appreciate this even more.
Just brilliant x
Hannah
May 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These books just get better and better. SO good!
Erica
May 28, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When an Oxford student accuses one of the university’s professors of sexual assault, DI Adam Fawley’s team think they’ve heard it all before. But they couldn’t be more wrong.

Soon DI Adam Fawley and his team are up against the clock to figure out the truth. What they don’t realise is that someone is watching. And they have a plan to put DI Adam Fawley out of action for g
Mellisa
May 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A he said/she said with a twist. A six foot rugby player, assaulted by his female professor. Both have reasons to lie. Who's telling the truth?

This book is INCREDIBLE. Every time I thought I had it figured out there was another huge twist! I loved how the chapters were short and covered each of the characters, but in such a clear way that it didn't get confusing. I'm still in so much shock over the ending, when the truth came out. This is going to stay in my head for a long time!
Holly
This was great, as I knew it would be. The fifth book in Cara Hunter's DI Adam Fawley series sees the team dealing with a sexual assault case. A university student reports that their professor touched them inappropriately. But the case isn't what they expect because the student is a male rugby player, and the professor is a woman and one of the most brilliant minds in her field.

A rapist has also been released from prison and Adam's wife Alex is terrified that he will come after her, because her
Kindle British My...: The Whole Truth, by Cara Hunter 1 3 Jun 03, 2021 05:44AM

• Her Last Holiday
  • The Perfect Life
  • Missing Pieces
  • Greenwich Park
  • The Lies We Tell
  • Lie Beside Me (DCI Jonah Sheens, #3)
  • The Whispers
  • The Wild Girls
  • The Lost Hours
  • Lost Property
  • The Imposter
  • The Red Book (Black Book #2)
  • The Good Neighbour
  • The Summer Job
Cara Hunter is a writer who lives in Oxford, in a street not unlike those featured in her series of crime books. Close to Home is her debut featuring DI Adam Fawley, and her second, In the Dark, is coming soon.

DI Adam Fawley (6 books)
  • Close to Home (DI Adam Fawley, #1)
  • In the Dark (DI Adam Fawley, #2)
  • No Way Out (DI Adam Fawley, #3)
  • All The Rage (DI Adam Fawley, #4)
  • Come to Harm (DI Adam Fawley #6)