Start by marking “The Whole Truth” as Want to Read:
The Whole Truth

The Whole Truth

(DI Adam Fawley #5)

When an Oxford student accuses one of the university's professors of sexual assault, DI Adam Fawley's team think they've heard it all before. But they couldn't be more wrong.

Because this time, the predator is a woman and the shining star of the department, and the student a six-foot male rugby player.

Soon DI Fawley and his team are up against the clock to figure out the tr
Expected publication: March 18th 2021 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about The Whole Truth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Whole Truth

Start your review of The Whole Truth
Maureen
Dec 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Fifth in the ever popular DI Adam Fawley series, and ‘The Whole Truth’ is as fresh and inventive as the first.

Two storylines this time around, the first being a student/professor sexual abuse claim - but what makes this one really stand out, is the fact that the accuser is a strapping six foot rugby playing Male, and the predator is his highly accomplished Female professor.

The second storyline is a murder case that brings very much to the fore an attack some 18 years previously on DI Fawley’s wi
Paromjit
Sep 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Cara Hunter returns with her latest addition to her hugely popular Oxford based crime series featuring DI Adam Fawley. It proves to be a fast paced thrilling and twisted shocker of an adrenaline ride that continues with the completely unexpected revelations from the previous book. Once again, Hunter delivers with her trademark style of interspersing the narrative with press articles, voicemails, police interviews, podcasts, emails, phone calls, online local and national media, medical examiner f ...more
Peter
Evidence?
I have followed Cara Hunter from her debut for good reason – she’s brilliant. One of my favourite thriller writers does it again, and now her series is being adapted for TV. Cara delivers another police procedural with her police team that we grow a deeper and deeper connection with. The Whole Truth is captivating, full of mystery, tension, moral dilemma and outstanding in its observational power that urges you to think profoundly about various issues.

DI Adam Fawley and his team are inv
Ceecee
Oct 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
DI Adam Fawley and team are back! Yessss!!! In this one Gavin Parrie, The Roadside Rapist from a 1998 case, is out of prison and wants revenge, there’s a complicated she said/he said case brought to them by the Principal of Edith Launceleve College and stretching them even further is a missing woman case.

I think this series is among the best in current crime fiction because it’s exactly that - current, fresh and bang up to date with a superbly crafted police team at the core, who feel authentic
Pat (not getting friend updates currently)
This story was a bit different. There are two plots running through it. The book starts with a sexual abuse complaint (rather than a murder) but in this case the victim is a strapping young man and the perp is an older (albeit rather attractive) professor. Fawley’s team gets the case because the young man’s mother is a VIP but it proves to be anything but simple. With this case - everyone is an unreliable narrator and the worst of them was the professor’s 7 year old son. I still don’t know if he ...more
Carolyn
The truth certainly gets a work-out in this terrific new addition to Cara Hunter’s excellent crime series set in Oxford, featuring DI Adam Fawley.

First, there is the male postgrad student at an Oxford college who claims he was sexually assaulted by his academic mentor. He’s a six-foot rugby player so did she really try to force herself on him? She’s a professor and high flyer at her college with a lot to lose if the case goes to court, but is she also a predator who thinks she is powerful enoug
NZLisaM
Oct 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Whole Truth, and nothing but the truth … Well, not really, because it wouldn't be a thriller if characters weren't hiding a lot.

A male graduate student accuses his female professor of sexual assault.

Engineers discover a body below a bridge on the tracks, but manage to alert the approaching train in time.

A young woman is reported missing when she fails to show up for work. Police discover her flat empty, door wide open, and purse, wallet, and keys on the coffee table.

DI Adam Fawley, and the C
Alan Cotterell
Thank you to author Cara Hunter, Penguin books and Netgalley, for an ARC, in exchange for an honest review.

This was the first book in this series, for me I will have to go back and read the rest. I was pleasantly surprised to find a quick summary of the key members of the team at the start of the book. Which is a great idea, and every author with a series should do this. Especially if like me you read lots of different series and sometimes struggle to remember who is in which series. (Old age!).
Mandy White (mandylovestoread)
This maybe the best book in the DI Adam Fawley series so far! And that is a big call as they are all fantastic books. I could not turn the pages quick enough, I had to know what was going to happen and how it would all play out....no spoilers but you don't want to miss this one.

There is so much going on in The Whole Truth. We have a claim from an Oxford student of sexual assault by a professor - a case like none you have seen before. At the same time Adam and his wife are dealing with their past
Gary
Oct 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the 5th book in the DI Adam Fawley series by author Cara Hunter. I enjoyed the 1st book 'Close to Home' but somehow never got round to the other three books. Once I finished this novel I recalled how much I enjoyed the previous one and instantly ordered books 2,3 and 4 to get up to date.

The case is a little different to the normal. An Oxford student accuses one of the university's professors of sexual assault, sounds a familiar plot but the difference is the predator is a woman and the s
Amanda
Jan 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing

The “Whole Truth” is the 5th book in the D.I Adam Fawley series. I have to say this is one of my favourite authors and I just love this series!!

D.I Adam Fawley and his team are investigating a sexual abuse case regarding a professor and student. I love how the police and myself presumed it was a man abusing a young lady and no it was the other way around!!

The second investigation is an old case from 1998. Gavin Parrie named the “Roadside Rapist” has been released from prison. He is adamant that
Michelle
Oct 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
I got excited to receive a copy The Whole truth by Cara Hunter. I have been following the series from the start and loved them. The author never seems to disappoint. The Whole truth is the fifth book in the series.
This time Fawley and his team investigate a student claiming sexual harassment from his tutor. Not unusual but, the student is male, and the tutor is female. Whilst the investigation unfolds with the controversy it leads to this case Di Fawley is stressed not just because of this case
Roman Clodia
Sep 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like the previous books in the series, this is gripping and twisty with a contemporary and timely storyline of rape and non-consent, with a gender politics overlay. It is, though, very much a story of two halves as Fawley gets sidelined for acute troubles of his own, a development which I found barely credible, however interesting in a 'Line of Duty' way...

The format of podcasts, WhatsApp, reports etc. continues and can add to the disjointed feel with some very quick-switch cinematic moments, t
Lisa M
Nov 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have read this series from the start and was so excited to receive a review copy. It was so nice to be reunited with DI Adam Fawley and his fabulous police team.

It did take me a little while to get into the book. There were 2 stories running concurrently throughout and I was unclear at first if they were linked or not but once I understood more what was happening I raced through the 2nd half.

I've always been a fan of Cara's writing style and I love the inclusion of the police interview transc
↠Ameerah↞
Jan 20, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, 2021, thriller, arc
4.5 Stars

This felt like a cross between The Bill and Broadchurch with a little Criminal Minds vibe, and I loved every bit of it!

There are two storylines in this story. At first, I was a little doubtful about whether Cara would be able to pull it off well, but my goodness did she do it justice. The two cases in question are an alleged sexual assault of a male graduate student by his female professor and the murder of a young woman found on the tracks.

It took me a little while to fully get into
Carole Gourlay
This again, is one brilliant read. I have to admit, I did get a bit confused at the beginning with the podcasts and the WhatsApp messages, but once I got into it I just couldn’t read it fast enough.

It’s not so much about the university professor and the charges against her, but also about Parrie (who was convicted in previous books) and of course Adam and his side of things, and the fact someone is watching him and his wife.

It was hair raising in the middle and I don’t want to spoil it by sayi
Nicole
Sep 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wow! Cara Hunter does it again! This is the fifth and another amazing instalment in the DI Adam fawley series.

I absolutely love this series. I was delighted that I got to read this book early as this is one of my favourite series ever.

The writing style is fantastic. I'm always so hooked and engaged in the stories right to the end.

I love the multi media elements. They are so creative and really add to the story.

I also love how the different plots all weave together in the end. Cara Hunter is inc
Ali Kennedy
Dec 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This is my second Cara Hunter book (weirdly, I read the first one this time last year) and I absolutely loved it!

In the previous book I felt it went one plot twist too far, but this one was perfect. There are so many little threads to the plot that you don't quite know where they all fit together but they do, and often in surprising ways.

The main plot involves a male student making an accusation of sexual abuse against his female professor, so we follow DI Fawley's team as they investigate the a
The Book Review Café
The Whole Truth  by Cara Hunter, is the 5th book in the DI Adam Fawley series and it’s one of my favourite police procedure/crime thriller series. The author has a unique way of presenting her story (more about that in a while) which makes her books such a heart pounding read. Although this book could be read as a stand-alone, I would urge you to start at the beginning because this is undoubtedly a cracking crime series, and you will have a better understanding of the history of the characters. ...more
Liz Barnsley
Nov 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Fawley novels are amongst my favourite series of books out there at the moment so to say I was excited to read this would be putting it mildly.

Once again Cara Hunter offers us a twisty and unpredictable plot, beautifully crafted with great writing and a compelling mystery element that keeps you turning the pages well into the early hours.

In The Whole Truth we have a lot of thought provoking socially relevant themes all wrapped up in an addictive story that is pacy and intelligent. All the us
Sid Nuncius
Oct 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Whole Truth is a good book from Cara Hunter, but I don’t think it’s one of her best.

The story revolves around a student’s complaint of sexual harassment against a tutor. It’s not a typical story by any means and is rather well done for much of its length, with some interesting discussion of issues of consent, but to say more would be too much of a spoiler. As Fawley and his team investigate, a murder is committed which introduces a second, far less believable plot thread which dominates the
Akcherrybomb
Feb 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Cara Hunter delivers again!

A fast paced crime series, each book consistent in style and delivery!

Had me eager to turn each page with interesting characters and a deeply engaging plot. One word - gripped!

Join DI Adam Fawley and his team as they deal with a professor and a student which is a case of he said/she said regarding sexual assault. Then add in a separate investigation into a murder and how close to the bone it turns Adam's life upside down.

Time to find out....the whole truth!
Scarlett
Sep 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-arcs
Thank you to NetGalley and Penguin General UK for an ARC of this book! Release date - February 25, 2021

I think this might be the most excited I've ever been to receive an ARC. I usually wait until closer to the release date to read my ARCs, but I was so pumped about this one that I started it immediately and didn't put it down until I was finished, within 24 hours! I am a HUGE fan of Cara Hunter and just don't understand why she's not more popular because she is amazing.

The writing style is so a
Gina Robertson
Nov 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A clever suspense crime novel with two ‘who did it’ stories entwining. It kept me hooked and the ending wasn’t predicted.

At times I found myself a little confused as there were quite a few detectives and the chapters were fast paced. Jumping between characters and the different crimes but nevertheless i enjoyed it.

I like how it was written and I liked how throughout there would be visual snippets like a letter written or a news article. It made the story feel ‘real’

Steve ** Black Country Short Thoughts **
I don't like jumping into a series midway through and didn't realise this was book five when I started it however was extremely grateful for the list of characters and short "bios". This is a great idea which should be done more often.

Unfortunately, the book didnt gel with me. It started off really well but I found the podcasts/news articles/postcard/emails etc broke up the flow of the book too much (having to enlarge to see some of them) and it got way too twisty for my liking. I was constantly
Gary
Oct 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Jacki (Julia Flyte)
Sep 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
I've been a fan from the outset of the DCI Adam Fawley books by Cara Hunter. If you enjoy TV series like Line of Duty, they are right up your alley. Strong police procedurals with an engaging cast of characters. I was delighted to read in the afterword that Hunter’s just sold the rights for the series to be turned into a TV series - very exciting!

The plot weaves three strands together. It begins with police investigating an accusation of sexual assault. An Oxford professor has attacked a student
Jan 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
The tables are very much turned in this book when a male student accuses their female professor of sexual assault. Usually when you come across this sort of storyline, it’s usually a female student and a male professor so my interest was well and truly piqued when I saw that it was the other way around.

I like how the story is set out where we see interviews with the accused and the person doing the accusing. There is also two storylines running throughout, one more closer to home to Fawley and h
Sonny Side Books
What a way to kick start my festive break than with an advanced copy of Cara Hunters latest installment in the DI Adam Fawley series, The Whole Truth.
I love this series, and settling down to read this felt like being reunited with old friends.  Fawley is about to become a Father again, but the past is more haunting than ever as it finally catches up with him.
This book has 2 storylines running through it, the historical case of Gavin Parrie (the man charged with being the Roadside Rapist, and t
Carl
Feb 11, 2021 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I went into this book with an open mind, however I was not impressed and it's not one I can recommend to anyone. Perhaps it's the fact that I haven't read any of the other books in the series (I believe there were 4 before this one), but it just didn't grab my attention at all. Far from it, in fact I found the format very frustrating with the newspaper articles, podcasts and other ad-hoc pieces of exchanges interspersed throughout the novel. I found those only served to distract from the main st ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Perfect Life
  • Her Last Holiday
  • The Shadow Man
  • Find You First
  • The Jigsaw Man
  • The Therapist
  • Your Neighbour’s Wife
  • Win (Windsor Horne Lockwood III, #1)
  • The Whispers
  • The Lamplighters
  • Safe and Sound
  • Lie Beside Me (DCI Jonah Sheens, #3)
  • The Long Long Afternoon
  • Ask No Questions
  • The Island
  • The Dare
  • All Your Little Lies
  • Sleepless
Cara Hunter is a writer who lives in Oxford, in a street not unlike those featured in her series of crime books. Close to Home is her debut featuring DI Adam Fawley, and her second, In the Dark, is coming soon.

DI Adam Fawley (5 books)
  • Close to Home (DI Adam Fawley, #1)
  • In the Dark (DI Adam Fawley, #2)
  • No Way Out (DI Adam Fawley, #3)
  • All The Rage (DI Adam Fawley, #4)