Start by marking “Midnight in the Graveyard” as Want to Read:
Midnight in the Graveyard

Midnight in the Graveyard

Midnight. Some call it the witching hour. Others call it the devil’s hour. Here in the graveyard, midnight is a very special time. It is a time when ghostly spirits are at their strongest, when the veil between our world and theirs is at its thinnest. Legend has it, that while most of the world is asleep, the lack of prayers allow the spirits to communicate under the cover ...more
Published October 1st 2019 by Silver Shamrock Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Midnight in the Graveyard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midnight in the Graveyard

Start your review of Midnight in the Graveyard
Peter
Shelves: horror
Wow, this was a massive but very good anthology of modern horror tales. My favourites were 'The Cemetery Man' by Everson, a lewd and explicit story about sexual intercourse on a cemetery with a nasty twist at the end, 'The Glimmer Girls' true horror about the radium girls who put radium on the hands of wrist watches to make them shine (in my opinion the most gripping story since it is based on true cases), 'Bettor's Edge' on betting getting out of control and 'Tug o' War' (a very special seance ...more
Lisa
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley
My thanks, to Silver Shamrock publishing and Netgalley for the chance to read and review. I've had terrific luck this year with Anthologies, and this one was no different! I loved just about every one of these tales. That's a rarity. Also, the very few a didn't love, I still enjoyed. Usually I start getting bored with an anthology, and that leads to irritation. This didn't happen once! There are some genuinely creepy stories in here. This book comes with my highest recommendation!
Lisa
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kimberly
4.5 stars, rounding up!

MIDNIGHT IN THE GRAVEYARD, edited by Kenneth W. Cain, is the debut anthology from Silver Shamrock Publishing. This collection features 25 stories that run the gamut of horror: from ghosts--some innocent, and others not--humans, animals, psychological, monsters, revenge, redemption, and even nature itself, there is a type of story here for just about everyone.

The incredible truth is, that with this line-up of both established, and newer authors, there isn't a "bad" tale
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: night-worms
"Enter, friend. I wish you well, but I've got to warn you. These ghosts are hungry."
-Jonathan Janz (Intro to Midnight in the Graveyard)
Edited by Kenneth W. Cain
Published by Silver Shamrock

This is a HUGE anthology in so many ways. First, it's a big deal for Silver Shamrock to come out of the gate swinging like a champion. I kept seeing TOC updates for this project and I was so impressed with the line-up very early on. This is also a thick one! I think it's over 400 pages and I read this every
Marie
WOW! This was one of the best anthologies I have ever read! I had a feeling when I first started seeing all the authors that were going to be in this book slowly trickling in and signing up that this book was going to rock! It is like the all-star team has come to reside within these pages! What an impressive first start for Silver Shamrock Publishing!

With all that being said, there is not one story that I didn't like and all the stories gave me chills and thrills! Since all of the stories were
Krystal
Alrighty!

Please see my status updates for brief feelings regarding each individual story, with the last three here, which I will spoiler tag for the sensitive souls:

(view spoiler)

This was such a great collection! Admittedly it took me a while, but I'm super slow
Elke
This is an outstanding anthology by today's crème de la crème of horror authors. There is not one story that disappoints, and all contributions are high above average. The common theme here is ghosts, and we get a wide variety of them: traditional and modern, haunted and gory, human and animal, and everything else in between...

Selecting my favorite stories here is almost impossible, as all of them are more than worth their place in this book. However, if tortured to name my top stories, it would
Irene
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories, horror
This book contains stories by some of my favorite authors but they know who they are and so do you. For that reason I'm not going to talk about them (this time)
From the first story "Devil's Dip" by new (to me) author Shannon Felton I felt like this anthology was going to be something special. By the time I got to "The Glimmer Girls" by Kenneth McKinley I knew I was right. I loved that this story was based on the real life Radium Girls! A symphony of macabre tales are perfectly arranged in this
Steve Stred
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
** Edited as review is now live on Kendall Reviews! **

Silver Shamrock Publishing decided to swing for the fences with this anthology and boy did they hit a home run. All of the boxes for horror fans are checked off here and how you wouldn’t want to read this is beyond me.

Let’s run the list shall we?

Fantastic cover art done by Elderlemon Design aka Kealan Patrick Burke? Check.

Foreword written by one of the nicest guys out there (and a decent writer some would say), Jonathan Janz? Check.

A who’s
Char
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5 stars!

MIDNIGHT IN THE GRAVEYARD is an above average anthology, comprised of ghost stories-all kinds and varieties. I had a blast seeing what each author came up with.

For me, some of the standouts were:

DEVIL'S DIP by Shannon Felton. What a great tale to start off this collection! I've never read anything by this author before, but now I'll be following her career closely. (Love when this happens.)

TUG O WAR by Chad Lutzke. A terribly sad tale that morphed into....something else entirely,
Lou
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
These short stories are my selection of chilling fiction tales of trepidation with what lurks and realms crossed, unknown to be known, living and dead juxtaposition in haunting scenes that impregnate the reader minds.
Good job done by the editor with selection in here.

Tug o’ War by Chad Lutzke

Ceremony and communicating, there will be death and with the scene unravelling reading on with immediacy with a grim set of affairs.

Euphemia Christie by Catherine Cavendish

The seeking out history behind a
Mommacat
Review Copy

Like horror stories? Like ghost stories? Like stories that aren't the same ol' same ol? Then grab MIDNIGHT IN THE GRAVEYARD now. Like right now. The table of contents is a who's who of the horror industry and tells you more than I ever could. While there were admittedly a couple of less than 5 star stories, there were only a couple. The rest were we so insanely terrific that this anthology tops my list of must re-reads each Halloween.

Don't miss out. Highly recommended.
Latasha
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ll just start off by saying I usually do not read anthologies. But as I was watching the authors being signed for this one, I was impressed. I’ve read many of them and liked what I had read. So right from the very first story, Shannon Felton’s Devil’s Dip, I was impressed. It’s a damn good story but come on, they all can’t be that good. It’s an anthology! WRONG! There is seriously not 1 bad story in the bunch. Each story is really good, original and different. I rated most stories at 4 or 5 ...more
Tim
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Midnight in the Graveyard is an anthology that has stories by a lot of the bigger names in horror fiction. The fear I had was that the fiction might not meet the hype. I’m glad to report that that is not the case. I am more of a novel and novella fan as a lot of short stories can feel incomplete and I’m left wanting more. Thankfully all of these stories felt complete and were entertaining. The stories all contain ghosts or graveyards. The authors write about the subject from a variety of angles. ...more
Melanie
4.5 stars, rounded up to 5.

While not every story was a hit for me, (there were only a couple of 3 star reads), all the rest were 4 or 5, with some genuinely creepy moments, and some serious boundary pushing by a number of authors....(Necrophilia anyone....?).

This is genuinely a great mix of some old established authors who I stalk have been around sharing the scares with us for a number of years - I'm looking at you Mr Shea, Mr Meikle - as well as some you, like my good self, may not have
Ginger
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddy-read, 2019
Midnight in the Graveyard was a great compilation of 25 short stories involving ghosts, hauntings or supernatural themes.

Yes, you read that right. 25 short stories in this and not a bad story in the whole book!!
It's really rare to read a whole compilation of short stories and they're all good or great!

I think my favorite short stories in the book where...

Justin's Favorite by Jeremy Hepler
Those Who Are Terrified by Elizabeth Massie
The Graveyard by Lee Mountford
The Cemetery Man by John Everson
The
Brennan LaFaro
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Silver Shamrock is a relatively new publisher making waves in the horror community with some very well-received titles like Cricket Hunters by Jeremy Hepler and In the Scrape by James Newman and Mark Steensland. It also doesn't hurt that one of their first releases is this anthology, Midnight in the Graveyard. The collection contains 25 stories, centered mainly around ghosts, featuring one of the most all-star casts I've seen compiled in a table of contents. If that doesn't sway you, the whole ...more
Bandit
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
My goal for this October was to read as many scary books as possible. It is a goal which I have so far met more or less with the assistance of both KU and Netgalley. This, the latest from Silver Shamrock publishing, is pretty much a classic anthology for the season. The publishers are relatively new, although I did read a pretty good James Newman novella by them already, and it seems like they are determined to deliver great quality by sticking with the well known genre entities. Which is ...more
Well Read Beard
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
My God, What a collection. This anthology is ridiculously good. The lineup, the stories - all of it. A lot of times you will see an anthology like this with a big name like a McCammon - and the story for that guy is super short ( or not very good ). I assure you that is not the case here, the McCammon story was really, really good in this one. I recently read a 4.5 and a 5 star anthology, so I was kind of worried that this one would not be as good. I was wrong.

Oh yeah, Jonathan Janz does the
Bill
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very good anthology of shorts from some of the best dark fiction authors in the business. I'm not going to pick a favorite, but I will say that it was unexpected. Nicely done, Silver Shamrock!

A Solid 4+ Stars!
Jon Recluse
Every once in a while, and those whiles seem to be getting longer, there are anthologies that simply blow you away. You know the ones....DARK FORCES edited by Kirby McCauley, and Charles L. Grant's SHADOWS series being two that are close to my heart. Collections of stories that defy the odds, and not a misstep in the bunch.....the ones that offer you unforgettable tales by authors you know, and tales by authors new to you, authors whose work you will seek out in the future.

MIDNIGHT IN THE
Eva
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Enter, friend. I wish you well, but I’ve got to warn you. These ghosts are hungry.”

So says Jonathan Janz in his excitement-filled foreword to the horror anthology Midnight in the Graveyard, edited by Kenneth W. Cain. There are stories by well-known and newer authors, making for an intriguing combination. I wasn’t sure what to expect, but I knew going in that I wanted to devour this volume, in perfect timing for the Halloween season.

The first story is “Devil’s Dip” by Shannon Felton. It starts
Chris
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just made notes on the stories as I went along and here there are.

Justin's Favorite--several of these stories have been what I would call "traditional" stories. Sort of like the ones you would read in Creepy or Eerie or older anthologies. For me that is a good thing. I find myself skipping some stories in current anthologies because they are more disturbing (eg child abuse, etc.) than scary. Justin's Favorite is one of several that I have read so far that are what I will call traditional and
Greg
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a really solid collection. More often than not anthologies are a bit of a mixed bag, and that’s part of their charm. There will be stories that fall short, but that’s ok because the next one just might hit the spot. There are no real weak links here, though. The stories range from good to really bloody good and I’m taking away a list of new authors to sink my teeth into. Good stuff! 4.5*
S.H. Cooper
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
It’s no secret that my favorite subgenre of horror is ghost stories, so when Silver Shamrock Publishing offered a copy of Midnight In The Graveyard for honest review, I jumped at it.

Before we get into the stories themselves, can we just take a moment to appreciate that cover? It evokes exactly the kind of mood I want to be in when I’m sitting down to a read about restless spirits.

To put it simply, this is an anthology that offers something for everyone who enjoys ghosts. The tales range from
Chris
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just made notes on the stories as I went along and here there are.

Shaina
4.5
Hope to add more of a review later. In my updates I put in a lot of my favorite stories. Really cool book w HA. First anthology.
Chuck Knight
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a fabulous collection of stories about ghosts (both living and dead), ghouls, love, loss, death, despair, redemption and revenge.
Featuring a who’s who of contemporary writers, editor Kenneth W. Cain has collected stories that thrill, chill, amuse and cause one to ponder life.
Robert McCammon gives us a tale of what if the dead (all the dead) decided to come back.
Kelli Owen gives us a reason to not go anywhere we can’t clean.
Kealan Patrick Burke “paints” a horrifying tale of grief and loss.
Annarella
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An engrossing and entertaining collection of creepy stories, well written and with the right creepy factor.
I liked them and discovered some interesting and new to me authors.
Recommended!
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
Goodreads Librari...: Creating Author Profile 5 43 Oct 16, 2019 05:47PM

• The Corruption of Alston House
  • Other Voices, Other Tombs
  • Various States of Decay
  • Don't Scream 2: 30 More Tales to Terrify
  • Earth & Ember (The Fearing #4)
  • Slash
  • Grind Your Bones to Dust
  • In the Scrape
  • Dear Laura
  • The Monsters We Forgot: Volume 1
  • Scavenger Hunt
  • The Cult Called Freedom House (Sophia Rey #1)
  • Air & Dust (The Fearing #3)
  • The Festering Ones
Kenneth W. Cain first got the itch for storytelling during his formative years in the suburbs of Chicago, where he got to listen to his grandfather spin tales by the glow of a barrel fire. But it was a reading of Baba Yaga that grew his desire for dark fiction. Shows like The Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, and One Step Beyond furthered that sense of wonder for the ...more