Start by marking “Four Archetypes ” as Want to Read:
Four Archetypes

Four Archetypes

The concept of the archetype is crucial to Jung's radical interpretation of the human mind. Jung believed that every person partakes of a universal or collective unconscious that persists through generations. The origins of the concept can be traced to his very first publication in 1902 and it remained central to his thought throughout his life. As well as explaining the ...more
Paperback, 1st edition Routledge Classics, 201 pages
Published 2004 by Routledge (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Four Archetypes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Four Archetypes

Carl Jung by Claire DunneJung by Barbara HannahThe Hero With a Thousand Faces by Joseph CampbellThe Dream and the Underworld by James HillmanMan and His Symbols by C.G. Jung
Jungian
99 books — 44 voters
The Cottingley Secret by Hazel GaynorThe Shadow Land by Elizabeth KostovaThe Library at the Edge of the World by Felicity Hayes-McCoyJung on Evil by C.G. JungFour Archetypes by C.G. Jung
2017 Reading list
129 books — 12 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Four Archetypes
Glenn Russell
Nov 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Other reviewers have made general statements about the four archetypes - Mother, Rebirth, Spirit, Trickster - covered in this volume of C.G. Jung's work. For the purpose of this review and as a way of conveying the richness of Jung's archetypes, I will focus on one specific aspect of the Rebirth archetype: Enlargement of Personality.

Jung begins this section with the sentence, "The personality is seldom, in the beginning, what it will be later on." Thus, a kind of metamorphosis is at the very
Maica
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology, cg-jung
description
An Illustration of Loki

Jung, among the many psychologists of his time, is the only one who made extensive efforts to bridge Eastern practices and beliefs which are characterized by the power of the collective in shaping the workings of the mind. This book made me understand more the Analytical theory of Jung at a conceptual level and I can say that Jung has been very influential to me.

He explored spirituality, mysticism and religious belief not to criticize them, but to recognize their
William2
Especially liked the discussion of the Trickster archetype and its development through the ages. Fascinating.
S A
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book does not need any sort of review since it is a reference for all those who put effort to know about human behaviour and its mechanisms. Personally, I found out that this book was the Bible from which existential therapy was born and developed by some erudite people such as Irvin Yalom.
Aaron
Four selections from across Jung's collected works. These are the standard Hull translation lifted wholesale from other editions. The archetypes covered at: the mother; rebirth; the spirit; the trickster.

There is not important or even necessary connection between the selections in this book. If I remember they were all taken from different publications and the only thing they have in common is that they are all chapters (or partial chapters) on archetypes. Jung certainly wrote in depth about
Bridgett
May 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
This book was a collection of essays for four archetypes: the Mother, Rebirth, the Spirit in Fairy Tales, and the Trickster. The reading could be a bit dry, but I love Carl Jung and found the essays insightful.
Ahmed Hamad
Jul 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book, like the other writings of Carl G. Jung, is a great gift to mankind. It can provide insight to any reader who wishes to explore the realm of the commonly unseen, yet still exists, and can be felt at a time or another somewhere deep inside your soul. I think I have read this book three or four times now, but every time I open it, the impact it has on me is again immense. There is an infinite number of reflective "ideas" that can arise based on the contents of the book, perhaps because ...more
Sohaib
Here's a gateway to understand women, personal development, spirit symbolism (psychic integration), and the trickster archetype. Personally, I've found it especially helpful in understanding the mother-complex: the way a woman's relationship with her mother either diminishes her feminine qualities or intensifies them.

The Mother

Jung presents a survey of psychological types associated with the mother-complex in daughters. The symptoms range from total immersion—identification with the daughter
Karen Floyd
Jan 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Was hoping to find "On the Interpretation of Dreams" since I am thoroughly tired of my repetitive ones and thought that might be helpful. But this was all the Jung in the St. Andrew's library, which is where I was last night. Read the Mother Archetype last night, and was rather disappointed since I'd hoped for more explanation and interpretation than results of bad mothering. And, of course, I could instantly see myself in some of the Bad Mother examples he gave!
Not an easy read as the book was
Claire Bogan
Jul 14, 2008 is currently reading it
I read half of this book one day in the library, digressing from a research paper that I was supposed to be writing. The Four Archetypes, having nothing to do with my research topic, endeared me to Jung immensely and inspired me to incorporate some of his more relevant philosophies as sources in my final paper. I am rereading it in full with particular interest in the section on rebirth.
Raluca
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
[...] identity with the persona, which is the individual’s system of adaptation to, or the manner he assumes in dealing with, the world. Every calling or profession, for example, has its own characteristic persona. It is easy to study these things nowadays, when the photographs of public personalities so frequently appear in the press. A certain kind of behaviour is forced on them by the world, and professional people endeavour to come up to these expectations. Only, the danger is that they
Tim
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
[95/100]

Extremely enjoyable collection of 4 essays , and a great introduction to C.G. Jung.

I first discovered the concept of archetypes in my socio-linguistics lectures, lacking the psychological aspect that this work presents.

It is an extremely easy and enjoyable read and it perfectly complements the descriptions of archetypes in other fields of study, such as sociology and linguistics.

I found extremely interesting the insight of introspection as a tool to rise awareness of this four images
Serin
Apr 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It requires so much pre-readings about mythos, world folk tales, religion history, Jung's early works, and ultimately psychology...otherwise you can only understand, at best, 30 per cent of the book. It can also take long time to read and fully digest it. A sad story :) Also, Jung's narration seems little complicated and, of course, abstract..However, in the final scene, it worths. Good luck.
Araminta Matthews
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: career-reading
I really wish that Jung had been more aware of his sexism. I would have loved to have been swept up by the idea of the archetype, but I cannot get past his limited view of what women are. What a fool. What an archetypal child.
Deepa
Jul 11, 2011 added it
Still reading..Jung's deep analysis of the mother archetype is simply amazing..rebirth is even more wonderful..hmmm these books are specially written for gnostics...simply simply amazing..they hold out life's meaning for you..only if you are willing to look deep.
Ernie Dawson
Oct 24, 2010 rated it liked it
This is a terribly difficult read. Too much Greek and Latin. The last half of the book was nearly useless. The first half wasn't too bad and teaches things which relate to man which LDS authors often neglect.
William Baker
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mostly very accessible and enjoyable, this is another contribution to the idea that psychology is not merely about man but about the entire world in which man lives.
David
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: depth-psychology
A fascinating, insightful glimpse into the human psyche.
Brian
Oct 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
I detest Jung's arragant manner of writing. It's infuriating the way he referes to himself so highly, as an "Empiricist"! (But of course, he's an empiricist in that his conclusions are based on his personal experiences, and not of a reliable interpretor of the imformation).

I mostly focus on the Mother Archetype because it's the one I found most lamentable, as the rest are rather banal comparetively.

The Mother Complex in Jung works as a aperatus for a daughter to reach identification with the
Dylan
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'll have to come back to this book at some point I think, it's so full of dense information that it isn't possible to absorb all the good parts in one read. There's many concepts and ideas Jung touches on that didn't get absorbed by my mind right off the bat and I found myself many times going over the same passages trying to understand the deeper meaning of what he was saying that isn't entirely possible to grasp while speeding through it.
At least, this was the case for me.
If I want to reread
Hataipat
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
just read it a month ago. almost forget what have i just read to be honest since i fliped each page quickly and only skimed to the points of each chapter. personally, i find jung imaginary about collective unconscious quite interesting and daring. due to its vague ness and the comparision of myths to persona mentality which later forming archetypes. especially, the shadow man. im the next step i think i rather read freud along the way to compare their ideas. even though i know how controversial ...more
Steve James
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I guess some people are cynical about a collective consciousness. Jung’s ideas about archetype are not about a magic iCloud of shared knowledge, more about a collection of ideas about the various essences of human psyche. Rats have a cat archetype, for example. They only have to smell a cat without ever having encountered one before, and instinctively, unconsciously, they know how to react. Very interesting indeed.
Gianmichael Salvato
Quite disappointing. Because the text is largely comprised of sections of other, more exhaustive works, there is a continuity missing. There is little in the way of insightful explanation of archetypal pedagogy.

These four archetypes, and much of the text for that matter, seem to have been selected as a bit of intended marketing to new age types, rather than for those serious students of psychology.
Brad Needham
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Jung digs into four major archetypes, each from the point of view of clinical psychology, normal psychology, and fairy tales. It's a look at archetypes by the person who coined the word's use in psychology.
Francis Wiseman
Apr 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Four Archetypes was almost enlightening with a few interesting moments, I just had to sift through a lot of outdated nonsense to find them. The extended discussion of magical three and four legged horses was laborious.
Jung Edda
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jung never dissapoints.
Kevin Jimenez
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was extremely fascinated by Jung’s elucidations on the trickster archetype.
Warren
Oct 08, 2019 added it
Write a review on Jung. Hmm. How would I critique someone who is beyond comparison with any other author other than maybe Joseph Campbell or Alan Watts?
Duygu Ece
Jan 07, 2013 rated it did not like it
Even though my psychology background is enough, I find this book badly hard to read. While picking up this slim volume I was hoping to find something useful like introduction to archetypal pedagogy; but there are no sufficient examples and even no mention to certain important archetypes.

Jung himself says while thera are limitless archetypes, many different types may overlap& combine at any given time. I am too, upset with the irrelevant selection of these four.

Nevertheless amazed by the
Huyen
Dec 22, 2007 rated it liked it
Errr... I must say this is a very heavy read I did finish the book but couldn't retain much. As a polymath in mythology, psychology, religion and philosophy, Jung offers an (insanely difficult?) exciting and novel analysis of the fundamental unconscious foundation that we as human beings all share. They are: mother, rebirth, spirit and trickster. Surveying their role in myth, fairytale and scripture, Jung challenges the way we perceive ourselves. However, if you fall asleep when reading this ...more

• King, Warrior, Magician, Lover: Rediscovering the Archetypes of the Mature Masculine
  • Kadınlar, Rüyalar, Ejderhalar
  • Bizim Büyük Çaresizliğimiz
  • Yaban
  • The Upanishads
  • Marie Stuart
  • The Middle Passage: From Misery to Meaning in Midlife (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts, 59)
  • It Didn't Start with You: How Inherited Family Trauma Shapes Who We Are and How to End the Cycle
  • Twilight of the Idols
  • Seyrek Yağmur
  • On the Genealogy of Morals
  • Paradise Regained
  • Nohut Oda
  • İnsan Olmak
Carl Gustav Jung (/jʊŋ/; German: [ˈkarl ˈɡʊstaf jʊŋ]), often referred to as C. G. Jung, was a Swiss psychiatrist and psychotherapist who founded analytical psychology. Jung proposed and developed the concepts of extraversion and introversion; archetypes, and the collective unconscious. His work has been influential in psychiatry and in the study of religion, philosophy, archeology, anthropology, ...more