Start by marking “SHERLOCK HOLMES AND THE GIANT RAT OF SUMATRA a gripping mystery inspired by the work of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle” as Want to Read:

A BRAND NEW SHERLOCK HOLMES MYSTERY

If you love Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s original, you’ll love this gripping new tale from the world of Sherlock Holmes.

PRAISE FOR PAUL D. GILBERT’S SHERLOCK HOLMES THE GIANT RAT OF SUMATRA

“Since Sir Arthur created Sherlock Holmes, they have been many incarnation of him. I think Paul D. Gilbert’s work is the closest to the original.”
Published September 24th 2019 by Joffe Books classic mysteries and crime (first published January 1st 2011)

Be the first to ask a question about SHERLOCK HOLMES AND THE GIANT RAT OF SUMATRA a gripping mystery inspired by the work of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Start your review of SHERLOCK HOLMES AND THE GIANT RAT OF SUMATRA a gripping mystery inspired by the work of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Charles  van Buren
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Tedious and often predictable

I don't know who these two main characters are, but they are not Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson. The person masquerading as Holmes makes the real character seem humble, shy and the epitome of consideration by comparison.

If you have ever wondered why Doyle is so often referred to as Conan Doyle this brief aside maybe of interest: Steven Doyle, editor of"The Baker Street Journal", wrote, "Conan was Arthur's middle name. Shortly after he graduated from
Khurram
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Since Sir Arthur created Sherlock Holmes, they have been many incarnation of him. I think Paul D Gilberts work is the closest to the original. Through this book Gilbert shows Holmes at his best and worsts both mentally and physically. Sherlock also uses all the resources at his disposal bringing back a number of sud characters. I do not want to give anything away, but is you are a fan Sir Arthur's work, and appreciate continuity this is the book for you. Great job by Paul Gilbert, and thanks ...more
Kitty
Mar 18, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the lamest Giant Rat ever. The second plot line of the missing Michael Collier seems like the hugest of coincidences & takes up the whole middle of the book. All Holmes & Watson seem to do is smoke & drink. It's well written but the plot needed a lot more work.
Randy
May 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Of the many slight mentions of unrecorded tales in the Holmes stories, this particular one has inspired the most pastiches. I have three novels with this title(The Richard Boyer book does omit Sherlock Holmes and... from the title) as well as several short stories in various pastiche collections).

This one begins when Holmes is hired by an insurance company to investigate the Matilda Briggs incident. The clipper ship had drifted in forty miles and two days late from it's original date. The cargo,
Ann Keller
Aug 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-drama, mystery
Excellent book! I really enjoyed the narrative style, combined with so many tales of Far Eastern culture. One man's quest became a compulsion and he changed over time, changed into something even his own son would not recognize.
Tuck
Feb 01, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
fairly clever idea to tie in AC doyle's throw away line about the case of the giant rat of sumatra, and this stand alone doyle-like mystery. Evokes nicely the writing of doyle, and has a rip roaring story/action subplots, but the actual mystery/bad guys was fairly flat lined and not that believable
Stanley Goldyn
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Paul Gilbert offers two concurrently-running paths to Holmes and Watson, allowing the sleuth and his colleague to grapple with a series of mysteries that eventually merge into one.

Amongst frequent cigarette and pipe smoking, the reader is led through an entangled web hosted by Declan McCrory, the American shipping magnate, Tilat, the Giant Rat of Sumatra, and the enigmatic vessel, the Matilda Briggs.

Written in a laudable Conan Doyle-esque style, Holmes' inimitable abilities take us by the hand
Mr Sherlockian
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone Sherlock Holmes Fan
I've read a whole lot of Sherlock Holmes in my lifetime and I am delighted that Holmes is evidently selling enough to justify books like these, a full length, large scope adventure. I was intrigued with this book from the start and as the story unfolded there were plenty of unexpected twists and turns so you never really knew who could be trusted. Although much of the story is an adventure yarn set in the far east, it is comforting to know that Sherlock Holmes can solve it all within the comfort ...more
Delores Thomas
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A strange ship is missing its crew and is sitting at an abandoned dock. One of the crew is dead. Later a man is found dead in the river. Also a young man is trying to find his father based on his letters he sent from Sumatra. Could this all tie together? The letters make for very exciting reading and the whole story falls together very nicely.
Alexa Gi
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing journey. I can say without a doubt that Sherlock Holmes and the Giant rat of Sumatra is one of my favourite books of all time. One of these that you have in your drawer, aside the bed.. I know I'l come back over and over again. And I also know that I won't be disappointed nor bored to take the traces of Holmes & Watson one more time.
Deb
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a fan of Sherlock Holmes, this author has written a good mystery portraying both Sherlock and Watson.
Rena Sherwood
Mary
May 26, 2012 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure what I think. I have an illness that at times prevents me from reading at all, and other times makes it difficult to follow fiction. I was in the early stages of one of those fugues when I started great Rat , so had to lay it aside until later. It seemed kind of dry and lifeless in the early portion that I read, but this could well be me, not the book.
Sean
Sep 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable addition to the Sherlock Holmes world with an international adventure that keeps it interesting. Though i don't think Gilbert got the voice of Holmes quite right and the ending was ridiculous, it still has the feeling of a Sherlock mystery and I guess that's what counts.
Alan Brindley-Taylor
A very good read. Holmes and Watson seem go smoke and drink a lot but regardless I was kept hooked until the very end. I look forward to reading more Holmes books by this author.
Bailey Marissa
It could be slow at times, but everyone was definitely in character and the ending was good.
Olivia
Dec 09, 2019
Charlotte Smith
Nov 08, 2012
douglas wolf
rated it did not like it
Jun 06, 2016
MS E DAVIES
Jul 23, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Darkened Village: A Sherlock Holmes Adventure
  • A Sherlock Holmes Alphabet of Cases, Volume 2 (Sherlock Alphabet)
  • Sherlock Holmes: Adventures in the Realms of Edgar Allan Poe
  • The Long Sleep: A Weird Sherlock Holmes Adventure
  • Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson: The Early Adventures Volume I
  • The Sequestered Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, Part II: The Tragedy of the Salopian Roses and Three Short Stories
  • Sherlock Holmes: Vigor the Hammersmith Wonder and Other Stories (Cases of Singular Interest #5)
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Colours at Waterloo and Other Stories (Cases of Singular Interest #6)
  • A Sherlock Holmes Alphabet of Cases: Volume 1
  • The Adventure of the Missing Better Half: A New Sherlock Holmes Mystery (New Sherlock Holmes Mysteries Book 38)
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Twain Papers
  • Sherlock Holmes: and the Mystery of the Broken Window
  • Sherlock Holmes in A Reflection of Evil
  • The Sherlock Holmes Casebook: An Omnibus
  • Murder in Keswick: A Sherlock Holmes Mystery
  • Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Crippen: The North London Cellar murder (the 'crime of the century') as recorded by Dr. John H. Watson
  • Sherlock Holmes - 1888 Autumn of Blood: The Thames Torso Murders in the Shadow of Jack the Ripper
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Scottish Question - Sons of the Thistle