Start by marking “THE ANNALS OF SHERLOCK HOLMES a gripping mystery inspired by the work of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (THE LOST FILES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES Book 3)” as Want to Read:

(The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes #3)

A COLLECTION OF BRAND NEW SHERLOCK HOLMES MYSTERIES MYSTERIES

If you love Arthur Conan Doyle’s original, do not miss this collection of artfully-constructed new tales.

PRAISE FOR THE ANNALS OF SHERLOCK HOLMES

“Really enjoyed this - if you are a Holmes fan, you will love this book.” Linda

“I thoroughly enjoyed these and have gone on to read this author’s further works
Published September 23rd 2019 by Joffe Books classic mysteries and crime (first published October 1st 2012)

Be the first to ask a question about THE ANNALS OF SHERLOCK HOLMES a gripping mystery inspired by the work of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Start your review of THE ANNALS OF SHERLOCK HOLMES a gripping mystery inspired by the work of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (THE LOST FILES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES Book 3)
Karl
Aug 02, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Note: the copyright of this hardcover Hale edition is 2012, unlike what the description states.

The book contains three stories

"The Dundas Separation Case"
"The Abernathy Case"
"The Adventure of the Reluctant Spirit"

Paul D. Gilbert also published 3 other Sherlock Holmes books,
Khurram
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After the epic Sherlock Holmes and the Giant Rat of Sumatra, (which is currently my favourite Sherlock Holmes story), I was wondering how PDG (Paul D Gilbert), was going to top that adventure. When I started reading the Annals I kept comparing the two. This was unfair as because the stories in this book are more than good enough to stand on their own. For all the description in the book it is very fast paced I kept checking the page to make sure I was not shorter, but it is 224 like all of PDG's ...more
Dorothy
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I chose this because the author mentions Jeremy Brett in his foreword, and it's definitely him on the cover. For me, Brett IS Holmes and when I read a Sherlock story that presents a different character, I don't like it! So I expected to enjoy these.

I did enjoy the characterisation of both Holmes and Watson and the writing style - the weak point for me was the plotting. The author made life difficult for himself by deciding to write about the cases that Conan Doyle mentions in his stories but
Molly
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding. Worthy successor to Conan Doyle. I want more!!!
Leah
Jul 24, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Good plotting marred by inelegant writing…

This book is made up of three short novellas and my initial impressions were favourable. The first episode sets out to tell the story of one of the most intriguing of Watson's references in the original tales; that of the politician, the lighthouse and the trained cormorant. In the second, he explains the mysterious reference to the parsley in the butter dish. The final story gives us an opportunity to meet up again with Mrs Watson's employer in The Sign
Michael D Keen
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I liked this book!

The stories were developed enough to keep me interested but did not supply too much information, so I was kept in the dark about who the guilty party was right till the end. It was an excellent collection of novella size mysteries. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes a good mystery, but does not have the time to dedicate to a full novel.
Thomas
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well done

The third collection of tales, Gilbert has crafted stories for many of the adventures Watson mentions but never elaborates. Gilbert really captures the Watson's style. Check it out.
Karl Øen
Jul 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this book Paul Gilbert gives us a mercurial Holmes clearly modeled on Jeremy Brett's interpretation of the detective. ( If in doubt, check the bookcover..) Watson's voice is not the way Doyle wrote it, but it's close enough for comfort. The Homes/Watson banter, some Sherlockismus, and "cozy" scenes where the two protagonists are waitng in the dark for something to happen, evokes atmosphere and are true to the spirit of the original stories. Both Holmes and Watson comes across as truly heavy ...more
Olivia
Jul 15, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am such a Sherlock Holmes fan that I am always pleased to discover other authors who have continued the tradition.

There wasn't anything terribly wrong with this book other than the fact that this author made Dr Watson into such a sooky buffoon. He was constantly complaining about some perceived slight or injustice done unto him by his dear friend. He he knows the man better than any other. It got a bit tedious...
Denise
I liked this continuation of the Sherlock Holmes stories by Paul Gilbert. He seems to have "the ear" for the type of dialogue that Conan Doyle used in the original. I would recommend this book to other Holmes enthusiasts.
Alan Brindley-Taylor
Another really enjoyable read by Mr Gilbert. Once again he's done superbly to capture Watson's voice and you can tell he writes with a genuine passion as a fan of Holmes. I look forward to reading more from this author.
Steve
Dec 30, 2019
Nadine
Jun 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »

• Sherlock Holmes: The Colours at Waterloo and Other Stories (Cases of Singular Interest #6)
  • A Sherlock Holmes Alphabet of Cases: Volume 1
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Twelve Days of Christmas
  • Sarah, Plain and Tall (Sarah, Plain and Tall, #1)
  • A House of Ghosts
  • The Darkened Village: A Sherlock Holmes Adventure
  • A Sherlock Holmes Alphabet of Cases, Volume 2 (Sherlock Alphabet)
  • A Fatal Secret (Ryder & Loveday Mystery, #4)
  • Closed Casket (New Hercule Poirot Mysteries, #2)
  • Sherlock Holmes: Adventures in the Realms of Edgar Allan Poe
  • The Sherlock Holmes Casebook: An Omnibus
  • Snakes and Ladders (Ziba MacKenzie #3)
  • Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson: The Early Adventures Volume III
  • The Long Sleep: A Weird Sherlock Holmes Adventure
  • The Yard (Scotland Yard's Murder Squad, #1)
  • The Keeper of Lost Causes (Department Q, #1)
  • John Marshall: The Man Who Made the Supreme Court
  • Instant Pot Cookbook: 500 Healthy, Quick & Easy Recipes for Your Electric Pressure Cooker

The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes (3 books)
  • The Lost Files Of Sherlock Holmes (Linford Mystery Library)
  • The Chronicles of Sherlock Holmes