Start by marking “A Boy in the Doghouse” as Want to Read:
A Boy in the Doghouse

A Boy in the Doghouse

George loves his new puppy, Lucky, but Lucky is out of control. George has to train him soon, or his parents will take Lucky back to the pound. Lucky has a lot of work to do, too: he has to train George to sleep outside with him, scratch him behind the ears, and feed him his favorite food--ham. Who will win this comic battle of wills?
Published June 1st 1993 by Little Simon (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about A Boy in the Doghouse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Boy in the Doghouse

Rachel A.
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favourite books as a kid, and one that I reread so many times. I loved how it gave Lucky (the puppy)'s perspective as well as his owner's, and I was fascinated by the "dog logic" used to explain each situation. It's a very cute story of a boy who must train his new dog in order to keep it, combined with the dog's understanding of the different scenarios. This is definitely a great book for kids who love animal stories, and one that I still find very cute even as an adult.
Annie Yang
Aug 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Children who like dog stories/Children without a dog
A quick, mild and fun read. The illustrations are very cute and not too cheesy. Very relatable for children who are still raising their first dogs, which helps with the mystery of what to do with Lucky, as the reader might be thinking of what to do with their own naughty dog. But then again, most of the book would be silliness for children with a dog, at the same time. It was a little odd with some of the watered down lingo with "puddles" for the pee Lucky makes on the floor. Dogs are either out ...more
Jill Healy
May 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-with-kids
My rating of this book is based on its appeal to the children with whom I work. Kids at the end of second grade or less strong early third graders enjoy the struggles of a young boy trying to train his new puppy. What I think makes it interesting from an instructional point of view is that alternating chapters are from the child's point of view while the others are in the puppy's voice. This is not a great literary work, but a very enjoyable read with late primary age kids and useful for instruc ...more
Cws
May 21, 2009 added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jear
JEAR3-Duf
Christine
My elementary librarian read this to me and I remember liking it. I would recomend it to young children though.
Andd Becker
Sep 19, 2012 rated it liked it
The theme is training a puppy. Lucky has many lessons to learn.
may
Patrick
Oct 30, 2017
Megan Mary
Nov 03, 2017
Betsy began writing in 1990 and in the next 15 years published over twenty children’s books, including a number of popular series.
Her books have been Junior Library Guild selections, Crown Award nominees, and have been nominated for state awards in over twenty states including the California Young Reader Medal, the Texas Bluebonnet Award and the Florida Sunshine State Young Reader Award.
As a