Start by marking “The Weight of a Thousand Feathers” as Want to Read:
The Weight of a Thousand Feathers

The Weight of a Thousand Feathers

as new unused
Published June 13th 2019 by Bloomsbury YA (first published June 14th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Weight of a Thousand Feathers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Weight of a Thousand Feathers

Start your review of The Weight of a Thousand Feathers
Dannii Elle
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bobby Seed is your average sixteen-year-old boy. His worries include relationship drama, school worries, and concerns over his future profession. They also include whether his little brother has a clean school uniform to wear to school and whether his mother will be able to leave her bedroom at all today. For whilst Bobby Seed is an average individual his role as carer to his family also means, as much as he would like it to be true, his concerns often are not.

Initially I found that whilst the
Cyd
Aug 31, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a five star story with two star writing.
Bridget
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Oh this is such a charged book. So many things to think about and process. Bobby Seed is a 17 year old boy dealing with far too much. There is his mum, dying of MS, his handful of a younger brother Dan who doesn't really understand what is happening to their mum and Bel, friendzoned when she doesn't want to be and helping Bobby shoulder responsibility out of the goodness of her heart. All this responsibility is wearing for Bobby, a mum who can't look after either him or his brother and all the ...more
Kayla
Jun 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got sent this book in exchange for a honest review, all my opinions are my own and thank you so much to the publishers for sending me this book!

So in this story we follow Bobby, who is a young carer. His mother is dying of MS and his brother is not exactly an angel. In this story we take on Bobby's perspective on sexuality, young carers and assisted suicide.

I thought this book was very well written and very realistic. The reason I couldn't rate it higher was because of my own enjoyment, I rate
Jessica
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
[ARC Copy]

I am so glad I picked up this book. It is so, so important. Being a young carer was not easy for the MC, Bobby Seed. This book helps you to understand his situation, how he felt and it's very genuine.

This book to me was very focused. The author knew what he wanted to write and the message was very clear. The writing style was easy to follow. The characters were all significant, especially Lou. He was pressing Bobby, influencing him. To me, he was like this perfect 'evil voice' that
Gabby
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"I feel the weight of its thousand feathers pressing, pressing, pressing me down."

4.5 stars.
Thanks to Bloomsbury Australia for sending me a copy to review.

"There've been loads of days when she's too shattered to laugh, too sore to speak. But I know I'll miss these moments. Give me misery over nothing any day."

The Weight of a Thousand Feathers is a heartbreaking and emotional story about a teenage boy who should be spending his time doing school work and hanging out with his friends, but
Yolanda Sfetsos
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-contemporary
This is a surprise YA book I received from Bloomsbury Australia and didn't know anything about. But as soon as I picked it up, I got swept up in all of the emotion.

Bobby Seed is an average teenager going through the same stuff as other guys. Except, he's not so average. He might be young, but he's not carefree. His mum is sick, so he's a carer. And then, there's his younger brother. And cleaning, washing, dusting. Not to mention homework and tests.

At least he's got a trusty best friend in Bel.
Clair Sharpe
Bobby Seed is a 17-year-old boy who has the enormous burden of being the carer for his mum who has MS. We join his life as she is starting to get much worse and is essentially bed bound. Bobby has to feed her, wash her, help her to the toilet, try to sooth her pain and look after the house, all while trying to lead a normal teenage life and go to school.
He also cares for his 14-year-old brother Danny, who has learning difficulties. He doesnt have many friends or do the normal teenage stuff boys
Eve beinguniquebooks
Bobby is a boy with a lot on his mind, getting his mum her pills and aiding her around their home as well as looking after his brother, Danny a few years younger than his seventeen, too.

He has a good friend in Bel whom fancies him but nonetheless stays his best friend and helps watch over his mum while he goes to young carer meetings.

It's at the young carer meetings he has the chance of a break, a short holiday whilst also making friends with other young careers including Lou a boy he has strong
Kerran Olson
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
This is a really intense, thought provoking book. Bobby has a very distinct voice, and I loved his interactions with Bel and Danny. I liked the writing style, it was full of dry humour and Scottish slang, and it made me feel really close to Bobby as a character. I didn't love Lou, I just couldn't get a read on him and his role in the story was a bit convenient and then towards the end I felt like a lot of aspects of his character and his motivations weren't explained and he was just a bit of a ...more
Aimee
Review to come.
Chloe
Mar 09, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
This was fine. It wasn't bad, but any stretch of the word, but I didn't emotionally connect with this as much as I maybe wanted to. I also feel like too much of this book is given away in the blurb!
Bex
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews, arc-s
"MS is a slow burner. It waxes, wanes, skips along. Sometimes I wish she had the Big C instead; at least the Big C can be found, fought and defeated. Let's leave it at that".

This book blew my mind. Family is everything, and until you're looking at the fear in the face of someone you love who knows their time is up, you just can't know that feeling. There is nothing more painful than watching someone you love suffer. And if they asked you to take that suffering away, could you help?

Bobby has
Sonali Dabade
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-reads
A book about life-threatening sickness for when I'm down with a common sickness? Yep that's me
Ella Edwards
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So, so good, absolutely loved it. Extremely sad but such a good story. Highly recommend.
Amy
Many thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with an eARC of this title for review. All opinions are my own.

Actual rating: 4.5/5 stars

This was close to a 5 star book, but I couldn't get over one of the interactions between two main characters. I won't spoil it for those who haven't read it, but there was a pretty significant interaction between two major characters, that should serve as some sort of turning point, and it just fizzles. There isn't any real resolution to it and no
Pauline
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We have to warn you that this is perhaps one of the saddest books in YA that we have ever read. Having said that, we loved it! Bobby Seed is a wonderful, funny, nuanced character, but a boy who also has so much to bear. Not only does he have to cope with the normal trials of teen life and relationships, but he is the carer for his mum whose health is rapidly deteriorating and his younger brother. The great strength of this novel is the representation of heartwarming relationships. Bobby and his ...more
Brian
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Yeah, it was ok
Rhona Mitchell Tennant
SJH (A Dream of Books)
'The Weight of a Thousand Feathers' is Brian Conaghan's fourth novel and winner of the 2018 Irish book award for Teen and YA Book of the Year. It's the story of teenager Bobby Seed, who is your average 16 year old, apart from the fact that he is a carer to his Mum and also looks after his younger brother Danny. Bobby's mother has MS and is dependant on him for her care. He has to cook, clean and basically do everything for her.

I haven't read any YA books before that are told from the point of
Amber
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I'm so happy rn but unfortunately, the book I am talking 'bout in this post is far from anything happy.
🌻
The story is something you don't come across usually.
With a 17 y/o boy, Bobby Seed as the protagonist, the novel began with the couldn't-care-less vibes of a teenager but gradually transformed into something unimaginable to the common mass.
🌻
Bobby Seed isn't your average teenager. He is a 'carer'. He has to look after his mother who suffers from MS (Multiple Sclerosis - a disease where your
Maira
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I feel like this book had so much potential but it didn't live up to my expectations at all. This could be a really good hard-hitting contemporary but alas, I kept wanting to put it down because nothing was really grabbing my attention. I felt very disconnected from the characters and I didn't really care for them.

The writing style was also not my cup of tea. Maybe because of the use of a lot of Scottish slang, it kept taking me out of the reading experience. One of the writing format in this
Lexi // libraryoflexi
I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

High 3.5 stars. Im a bit torn because the first half of this book had me hooked. But the last half kind of dropped the ball a bit for me and I no longer felt a connection to the characters.
I mean I never liked Lou but I dont think we were supposed too. PUNCH HIM. DO IT.
I kinda wanted more Bel. Can we have a book about her now please? <3
Bobby.. oh Bobby.. what a confused, and glorious boy you could have been.
Jessica G
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars

This book made me ugly cry.
And when I say ugly cry, I mean cry my absolute heart out. I think this book tops the saddest-books list. I knew it was gonna rip my heart out, but I didnt realise it was gonna hurt this much.
I guess I sort of thought it was gonna be mildly sad, like the mild Peri-Peri sauce you get at Nandos that is supposedly quite hot but just makes your throat feel a little tingly. And to be totally honest, I didnt really pay attention to what this book was about before I
Debra
Simply put, this book blew me away.

We follow Bobby Seed who is the main carer for both his brother who is, I believe, autistic, and his mother who has MS. For a teenager to take on such responsibility, I would expect that person to fall apart or break in some way. Bobby Seed was made of stronger stuff. He is strong for his mother and brother, he takes care of the home and his family and also goes to school. That is a lot for any person to take on, let alone a sixteen year old. This change for
Michelle
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My full review can be found on the Epilie Aspie Chick blog!

Thank you to Bloomsbury for providing the ARC in exchange for an honest review.

This book is an emotional hammer that really hits hard. Bobby is responsible for far too much and is doing everything he can to hold on. Seeing him go through that, you can't help but want his life to improve and to see his family get better. Between the failing mom and the apparent cluelessness about his best friend Bel being in love with him, you can see
ThatBookGal
The Weight of a Thousand Feathers is centred around being a young carer, navigating teenage life, sexuality and relationships, whilst carrying the massive burden of caring for a sick relative. Its utterly heartbreaking at times, and extremely moving at others. There were some seriously strong supporting characters, the most precious of which is the sick mum, whos humour kept me laughing until the final page. Not to mention the most supportive friend ever, Bel, who we didnt get enough of!

Having
Karen Barber
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An emotionally-charged read that poses some difficult questions.
Bobby is almost eighteen. Technically still a child, but for years hes been a young carer. Day in day out he is focused on ensuring the family eat, that his younger brothers homework is done and that his mums taken her medication. He recognises he has more on his shoulders than many teens, but he is quick to point out the love he has for his mum and his willingness to do this to try and improve her quality of life.
Sadly, the truth
Rennai
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We bought this book for our secondary school library because it deals with a teenage carer and voluntary euthanasia - none of our other YA books feature these social issues together (as far as we know). It is a powerful story of 17 year old Bobby who is caring for his mother who has terminal MS and his little brother who has ASD. The author successfully conveys the deep love and responsibility that Bobby feels for his mother and brother and this is what helps make the book compelling. I found ...more
Kirsty
This book follows Bobby who is a young carer for his mother who has MS. She asks him to help end her suffering.

I picked up this book as the although I have watched TV shows and films that deal that with this topic I don't believe any books that focus on this. I thought that the plot felt very realistic. I think this is quite a powerful read that deals with a difficult topic and makes you think.

Despite this, I didn't really like the characters in this book. I am not sure whether the character
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Becoming Dinah
  • Jemima Small Versus the Universe
  • Meat Market
  • Bone Talk
  • Are We All Lemmings and Snowflakes?
  • I Hold Your Heart
  • Monsters
Brian Conaghan was born in 1971. He was raised in the Scottish town of Coatbridge but now lives and works as a teacher in Dublin. He is the author of The Boy Who Made It Rain and has a Master of Letters in Creative Writing from the University of Glasgow.

His second novel When Mr Dog Bites was shortlisted for both the 2015 Carnegie Medal and the Children's Book Award Ireland, while his novel, The