Start by marking “Mile Marker 139” as Want to Read:
Mile Marker 139

Mile Marker 139

At mile marker 139 along the Ohio Turnpike, a mysterious woman named Shelley Parkinson arrives at 3:14 at the rest area every night. She sits outside at one of the picnic tables, her fragile hands clutching one cigarette after another. Troubled people swirl around her, battling their own sorrows.

Gruff old janitor Mike Popkins works third shift at the facility and has been
Published January 18th 2020

To ask other readers questions about Mile Marker 139, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mile Marker 139

Start your review of Mile Marker 139
Carla Johnson-Hicks
I have come to expect books by Cynthia Hilston to be a bit different from the run of the mill stories and this one was no exception. This was the story of four people; four sad, lonely people who meet each other at the rest stop at Mile Marker 139 on the Ohio Turnpike. Can they save each other and help each other find what is missing in their lives?

This is a human drama, there are no huge twists, it is not fast moving, but I couldn't stop reading it. I wanted to know about Shelly, Russ, Mike and
Stephanie Jane (Literary Flits)
See more of my book reviews on my blog, Literary Flits

The premise of Mile Marker 139 really caught my eye when I was offered a review copy of this book and I am glad I took the chance of reading it. I previously liked Cynthia Hilston's historical fiction work, A Laughing Matter Of Pain, and think I enjoyed this new novel even more. The isolated rest stop setiing together with the four central characters and the conversation-driven narrative made me feel that Mile Marker 139 would also work very
Fictionophile
From the very first pages I was completely immersed in this novel. The characters all came to life and I was anxious to learn more about them, and how their lives might intersect.

The narrative jumps from one character to another, yet this does not in any way deter from the enjoyment of the read. All of the characters were written with deep understanding and empathy showing that loneliness can be experienced by anyone - not just by those who are actually 'alone'.

As we go about living our messy,
Noriko
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Four broken souls converge at a rest area called Mile Marker 139.
They are drawn together, support each other and found the strength to move forward once again.

The moment when I first read the synopsis, I got a hunch this would be a sombre yet a great, engaging read. I have always loved a good, human saga and this book, Mile Marker 139 proved itself to be right up my alley - correction - so much more by going far beyond my expectations.

I honestly don't know how or where to begin my review -
Ellie Midwood
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“Mile Marker 139” is a bittersweet literary fiction featuring such real, relatable characters, you’ll feel like you know them personally by the time you finish the book. I think it’s exactly the characters who make you so invested with the story and hope for all the broken hearts to get fixed.
The title is telling - the entire action almost always revolves around a rest stop, a coffee shop, and its “inhabitants.” Sarah is a young barista fresh out of school and having not the faintest idea of
Tiziana Langone
Feb 07, 2020
Tatertot Hilston
Erik Hilston
Gail Combs
Judith Hantl
Feb 16, 2020
Cynthia Hilston
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Kathleen Joyce
Dec 30, 2019
Bethany Chorak
rated it did not like it
Amanda

• The Cottage in a Cornish Cove
  • When Adam Met Evie
  • Five Wakes and a Wedding
  • In Too Deep
  • In the Heart of the Fire (Nameless #1)
  • Thief River Falls
  • The Mercy of Snakes (Nameless #5)
  • Red Rain (Nameless #4)
  • Terrifying Tales to Tell at Night: 10 Scary Stories to Give You Nightmares!
  • New Beginnings At Glendale Hall
  • Nora's Promise: A Racing Hearts in Serenity Romance
  • Memories of Tomorrow (Nameless #6)
  • The Tears (All the Silences Book 1)
  • Private Messages
  • Deprivation
Cynthia Hilston is a stay-at-home mom of three young kids, happily married, and lives in the Cleveland, Ohio, area. Writing has always been like another child to her. After twenty years of waltzing in the world of fan fiction, she stepped away to do her debut dance with original works of fiction.

In her spare time - what spare time? - she devours books, watches Supernatural and Outlander, pets her