Start by marking “Ritueel” as Want to Read:
Ritueel

Ritueel (Jack Caffery #3)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  5,445 Ratings  ·  412 Reviews
Multicultureel Bristol: een havenstad die bruist van het leven... maar ook van de dood.
Op een broeierige zomerdag vindt Phoebe - 'Flea' - Marley, hoofd van het duikersteam van de politie van Bristol, een hand in het water van de oude haven van Bristol. De hand blijkt afgehakt terwijl het slachtoffer nog leefde, en pas kort geleden. Onderzoek leidt naar de vondst van nog e
Published June 2008 by Luitingh-Sijthoff (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Ritueel, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Mike (the Paladin)
I don't really know how I would classify this book when it comes right down to it. I mean there is an idea/plot for the story behind it all. That said the bulk of the book concerns everybody's emotional baggage.

The book opens with the promise of a mysterious story...once it gets around to actually opening...with a disembodied hand discovered in a deep murky pool of water where visibility is almost zero.

Our introduction to the book had been about one of the odd deep sinkhole pools of water in the
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
One of the best things when it comes to reading is discovering new authors. I have wanted to read Mo Hayder's Jack Caffery series for a long time and now I have finally read the book three in the series. And, Ritual is a pretty awesome book, with a compelling story and interesting main characters.

I instantly came to like both Jack and Flea and I enjoyed getting to know them both in this book. Jack, new in Briston , has come to the city looking for the Walking Man to ask him something. Flea has n
Dannii Elle
So for this review I think I'll keep it to the point and just repeat what I wrote in one of my status updates as I believe it aptly sums up this book:

African witchcraft, drug trips, dismemberment, prostitutes and deep-sea diving - what's not to love in this book?
Bill
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
I'm sorry to say that Ritual was a disappointment for me.

Mo Hayder hit two grand slams with Birdman and The Treatment. These were two crime thrillers that stood out from such a thickly saturated genre. Quite the feat for a new writer on the scene.
My gushing reviews on these:

What made these great was how successful she was at engaging the reader
in not only the storyline of the crimes at hand, but the personal struggle
Kendra
Jan 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've really been on a Mo Hayder kick lately -- and I must be getting used to her, because this book didn't disturb me nearly as much as the other ones. Ritual is the third to feature Detective Jack Caffery, and this time Hayder has skipped ahead a few years, moved him out of London, and introduced a great new character, police diver Phoebe "Flea" Marley. The discovery of a pair of hands -- sans body -- kicks off an investigation that involves drug addicts and ancient rituals from Africa. As usua ...more
Chrissa Vasileiou
3,5/5.

** Book review coming soon. **
Natazzz
Jan 15, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense, mystery, crime

I'm not sure why everyone seems to think this book's so great. I found it very boring and very hard to get through. Reading it felt more like a task than a fun passtime. I tried, but I was unable to read this in its entirety.
Siobhan
Oct 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I’m completely honest I did not enjoy Ritual as much as I enjoyed The Treatment. Don’t get me wrong it is another great book but I wasn’t pulled in as deep as I was in the second Jack Caffery novel.

As with the first two Jack Caffery novels, this is a book filled with twists and turns. The criminal aspect, as with The Treatment, was wonderful. It was a brilliant idea, a story you can really get into and feel creeped out by. In terms of the Jack side of the story I was somewhat tentative. At fi
Γιώτα Παπαδημακοπούλου
Το ότι αγαπώ τα αστυνομικά θρίλερ είναι γνωστό. Προσωπικά, τα προτιμώ από τα νουάρ μυθιστορήματα του είδους, καθώς είναι πιο σύγχρονο και αν κι εφόσον είναι καλογραμμένα και με ενδιαφέρουσα πλοκή, επιτυγχάνουν να παίξουν με το υποσυνείδητό μου και -ίσως- με κάποιες από τις προσωπικές μου φοβίες. Το ότι αγαπώ τη Mo Hayder είναι επίσης γνωστό, με την ίδια να μας έχει χαρίσει έντονες στιγμές φόβου, αγωνίας και αρρωστημένου ενθουσιασμού, χάρη στη μοναδική δυναμική και ρεαλιστικότητα της πένας της. ...more
Janet
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
After reading Birdman and The Treatment I was really disappointed with this one.

Jack Caffery has now relocated to Bristol for a fresh start and we meet police deep sea diver, Flea, a character that seems to have taken central stage pretty much. It was almost as if Caffery has taken a supportive role here as we learn an awful lot about Flea. In fact, it doesn't pick up anything at all about Jack's brother which was surprising, though maybe it does in later books, I don't know.

The story begins by
The Wee Hen
Aug 27, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had the hardest time finishing this book. I only made myself read the whole thing because I made the mistake of BUYING it instead of getting it from the library and I am too cheap to not finish a book I buy. I didn't like one detective at all and the other I had a hard time feeling anything for. It's not like I only read cozies but this was just way too gruesome, vicious, nasty and horrible for me. Just more gore than I really need from a mystery. It barely even felt like it was set in the UK ...more
Andrea
May 04, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2013-reads, kobo
Hmm. Okay I felt this was definitely a step away from the last Jack Caffery book, but I'm just not sure if it's a step forward, or simply just a step to the side.

First and foremost, I have to say Hayder writes really compelling mystery plots. I love the central plots of her books. I love her writing, I love her dialogue, and I love how unapologetically guttural she gets. My issues stem from her main characters that I just don't like.

Jack. Oh Jack. I really want to like you. I want to root for y
Cat
Feb 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, read-in-2015
So far, my least favourite of the Jack Caffery series.

The stories starts with a hand being found at the Bristol harbour and soon we have Caffery investigating. Somehow he's left London and moved to the west. As the investigation goes on, and with the help of Sargeant Phoebe 'Flea' Marley, Caffery stumbles on a scheme of human body parts trafficking that is being used in connection traditional African medicine, also known as 'multi'.

Yes, there are the usual Hayder elements in this story. It is da
Krishna
Mo Hayder's return to the Jack Caffery series is a mixed bag. Definitely not on par with the hyper-gory Birdman or the disturbing The Treatment, it relocates Caffery to Bristol where along with a new soon-to-be recurring series character, police diver Flea Marley, he investigates the discovery of a severed human hand in the harbour.
The key problem is, the plot which is interesting though hardly outstanding hardly needs Caffery, who could have been substituted by any Detective. Marley's own bagg
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
Book Blurb:

Just after lunch on a Tuesday in April, nine feet under water, police diver Flea Marley closes her gloved fingers around a human hand. The fact that there's no body attached is disturbing enough. Yet more disturbing is the discovery, a day later, of the matching hand. Both have been recently amputated, and the indications are that the victim was still alive when they were removed.

DI Jack Caffery has been newly seconded to the Major Crime Investigation Unit in Bristol. He and Flea soon
Catherine
Nov 23, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-liked
I had high hopes for this book as it continues the character in the author's first 2 books (Birdman and The Treatment) which are some of my favorite all time reads.
This one started off well but the second half was not as compelling and it left me feeling frustrated re the lack of storyline to explain the details of the events between this book and the previous one.
As in the previous books the main character (DCI Jack Caffrey) has his own things going on which make a subplot to the current crime
Brenda
Dec 11, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As other reviewers have said, this is not Mo Hayder's best work. The first of the book went very slowly. I was confused often by the religious beliefs from Africa, the mystical things characters felt they were seeing, the deaths of Flea's parents, and her weird brother. The Walking Man seemed to come out of no where, and I think I missed something there. The story seemed to pick up when Flea and Caffery started to investigate together. In typical Hayder fashion, there were sick, twisted, creepy ...more
Judi
Nov 11, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really poor Mo Hayder book that gets off to a tortuously slow start. The characters names are awful: Flea, Mossy and Skinny...seriously? I kept getting Skinny confused with Dobby, the house elf in Harry Potter. I'm not squeamish, but I admit I skipped over the entire sections where The Walking Man's describes his crime in lurid detail. I don't see the point that Ms. Hayder is trying to make, other than to shock, by going into such graphic detail. I liked Birdman a lot, but I can't say ...more
Shannon Hollinger
Mo Hayder never ceases to amaze me with her ability to push the boundaries, to make the reader uncomfortable yet still yearning for more, leaving them unable to put the book down as they lose themselves in the world she's created for them. A master of creepy and suspense, the pages ooze with sinisterness and, best of all, unpredictability.
Richard
Nov 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This is another excellent read, the third in the Jack Caffrey Policeman. The book clearly cemented Mo Hayder's status as she has gone on from strength to stregth. I really like the introduction here of two central characters, 'Flea' Marley and The Walking Man who various hold this plot together and look set to influence matters further. Marley is a counter-point to Caffrey and has an equally troubled background, indeed they are somewhat thrown together in this investigation and there is scope fo ...more
Mar 15, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Three years have passed since the events in The Treatment, and Jack has moved to Bristol for a change. He still doesn't know what we, the readers, know concerning his missing brother Ewan, but Jack no longers feels magnetized to the places Ewan could be.
None of this stops him from being the miserable creature he is, and he is quickly turning into a Class-A jerk.

We are introduced to new characters, namely Sgt. "Flea" Marley, a professional diver who seems to be in charge of this case while batt
Pamela
While Ritual was certainly much better than The Treatment, and I absolutely devoured it in a number of days, Hayder still hasn't quite found the hard-hitting perfection she found in her debut, Birdman.

Jack Caffery has returned but in a different setting. There are unresolved threads from his previous life in London which aren't dealt with, and all the characters we'd become invested in are replaced by Caffery's new object of affection with almost no mention of the police force at large.

While the
Rob
May 26, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I enjoyed this one (I might generously round it up to 3.5 stars), it comes across as a transitional novel. In an afterword, Hayder admits that after The Treatment, the second of her Jack Caffery mystery novels, she had grown tired of her protagonist. So in Ritual it makes sense that Caffery, while ostensibly the main character, shares the spotlight with a new character, Phoebe "Flea" Marley, a police diver forced upon him by the circumstances of the book's grisly case. As with her first tw ...more
Twobusy
Feb 24, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mo Hayder wrote two of my favorite crime novels of recent years — Birdman and The Treatment, both of which married the British police procedural to something so dark and gruesome and impossibly heartbreaking that I honestly imagine it impossible not to be affected by their impact. Since then, I've read several of her other novels, which have succeeded to varying levels... and Ritual, I fear, may be the least effective one yet. It treads ground familiar to those who've read Birdman or The Treatme ...more
Andrew
May 03, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Third in the series and DI Caffrey moves to Bristol where the discovery of an amputated hand in the harbour leads him into the world of African rituals and drugs. He is assisted by a police diver who has personal connections to the crime. As an easy bank holiday read i enjoyed it but it didn't quite have the tension of The Treatment or Birdman and from what I've read the later books don't match the earlier ones but I will continue as Caffrey is an interesting detective and I am enjoying his stor ...more
Gord James
Jun 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third Jack Caffrey book and by far less violent then the other two. Jack is still tormented by his brother's disappearance some 30 years ago, but angrier. He is investigating a mutilation case where only two hands are found. The story gets really interesting because not only does he have to find out who the hands belong to, but also who did it. It was a little disappointing to see that Jack has become even more negative and aggressive. I am looking forward to reading more Jack Caffre ...more
Ben
May 28, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, crime, british
Didn't enjoy this one as much as the earlier Jack Caffery novels. I found it quite difficult going for the first two-thirds. Not a hard read, but not really holding my interest.

That all changed nearer the end though, where the action really steps up a gear and some of the gorier parts became quite hard to stomach. By the end of the book I was a little disappointed it had finished.

That last part really redeemed the series for me and I went straight off to download the next novel. Hopefully this
Daniela Montero
Un nuevo caso del inspector Jack Caffery, esta vez unos años después del último libro. Con heridas aún sin cicatrizar, Caffery se localiza en Bristol.
La truculenta aparición de unas manos cortadas en el puerto de Bristol, dan comienzo a una historia que combina lo supernatural y el thriller psicológico.
A diferencia de los dos anteriores libros, en este caso Mo Hayder pierde contundencia y nos deja un libro mucho más light que a lo que nos había acostumbrado. Con historias sin resolver, cierra u
Sharon
Apr 09, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What happened, Mo? If I hadn't read her two previous novels with Jack Caffery I probably would have liked this one. But she has lost her feel for Jack. The way she writes about him is different. He seems stiff and wooden now. I understand that in the intervening years life has been hollow for him, but I think it is more than that. And the whole Walking Man character seems like a cheap device.
Bob
Aug 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Back again with Flea Marley as she investigates a case of ritual African practices which involve the use of Human body parts and the trade in this gruesome practice which has come to light when she and her team discover a hand while diving. Detective Jack Caffery is also involved in the case and they are both confronting their own demons as well. A bit of a dark read but a good one.
  • Flesh House (Logan McRae, #4)
  • The Last Temptation (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #3)
  • In the Dark
  • De Midasmoorden
  • The Keeper (DI Sean Corrigan #2)
  • Brother Grimm (Jan Fabel, #2)
  • Slip of the Knife (Paddy Meehan, #3)
  • Bevroren hart
  • Darkside
  • Lucifer's Tears (Inspector Kari Vaara, #2)
Mo Hayder left school at fifteen. She worked as a barmaid, security guard, film-maker, hostess in a Tokyo club, educational administrator and teacher of English as a foreign language in Asia. She has an MA in film from The American University in Washington DC and an MA in creative writing from Bath Spa University UK.

Mo lives in Bath with her daughter Lotte-Genevieve.

Series:
* Jack Caffery
More about Mo Hayder...

Jack Caffery (7 books)
  • Birdman (Jack Caffery, #1)
  • The Treatment (Jack Caffery, #2)
  • Skin (Jack Caffery, #4)
  • Gone (Jack Caffery, #5)
  • Poppet (Jack Caffery, #6)
  • Wolf (Jack Caffery, #7)