Start by marking “Nappily Ever After (Nappily, #1)” as Want to Read:
Nappily Ever After (Nappily, #1)

Nappily Ever After

(Nappily #1)

NOW A NETFLIX ORIGINAL FILM STARRING SANAA LATHAN

What happens when you toss tradition out the window and really start living for yourself?

Venus Johnston has a great job, a beautiful home, and a loving live-in boyfriend named Clint, who happens to be a drop-dead gorgeous doctor. She also has a weekly beauty-parlor date with Tina, who keeps Venus's long, process
Published December 26th 2001 by Broadway Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Nappily Ever After, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nappily Ever After

Nizzy
Feb 22, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Using the main character Venus, it seemed the author tried to convey the message that you cannot love someone else until you love yourself. While I appreciate the effort, I thought the idea was not fully developed, because Venus’ revelation fell flat. After she cut off her ‘relaxed’ hair and cut off her man, she somehow came to the realization that her life revolved around her hair. I didn’t believe her transformation.

I also do not understand how this book leads into a series. The ch
Dana
Jan 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
I think it's important for women who are not of color to learn about how much thought and effort is put into certain hairstyles and appearances... how much of an impression styles can make on society...how women of color are perceived by their hair. White women (such as myself) often take this for granted.
Lynecia
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not expect to relate to this story so hard!
Can't wait for the Netflix movie with Sanaa Lathan.
Donna
Feb 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
Not just a "black woman" version of chick lit, This also isn't a 'hair care' book, so put it down if you think it is. - Although yes, it is a book about a black woman, Venus Johnston, and, it is a book about hair...technically.
It is so much more than that. Its about self-esteem, Its about loving yourself before you realize that you can love someone else, its about...Everything, every woman. Every Race, Colour and Religion goes through.
Its like the ultimate girl's guide to knowing tha
Kat (Why Read)
Oct 17, 2011 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Anyone who plan to see the movie
Shelves: book-to-movie
****UPDATE**** (2 October 2018) So the Movie is out now! It's on NETFLIX. The lead is not Halle Berry. It's our favorite lady from Love & Basketball! THE MOVIE WAS WAY BETTER****UPDATE****

****ORIGINAL REVIEW (29 October 2011)****
I heard Hollywood was going to turn this book into a movie starring Halle Berry, so I had to check it out! I figured if they were soliciting an Academy Award/Oscar winning actress, then it had to be crème de la crème..... ummm not so much .

The story begins incrème.....
Never Without a Book™
Enjoyable read.
Ebony Jones-Kuye
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love Trisha Thomas book! I can relate to the main character in this book. The main character is like most African-American professional women; well spoken, educated, and also trying to maintain their straight hair. Venus Johnston is the main character and she decides to cut her so-called "good hair" off and it changes everything in her life. This book hits home with me because so many times I have heard African-American women wish they could go natural but get scared because they wonder what t ...more
Mel
May 10, 2014 rated it liked it
I have mixed emotions about Nappily Ever After. It starts with Venus cutting off her long relaxed hair. For most that have made that transition (such as myself), it's a big deal. You either love it or hate it. It changes the way you see yourself. It can also change the way others see you. At any rate, her and her live in, long term boyfriend Clint are breaking up after his procrastination to propose. Clint is a catch. He is upwardly mobile, a handsome doctor. Venus is a nuanced character. Someti ...more
Jaime
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book — I loved the themes addressed here such as loving yourself, acceptance, and relationships. Overall, the story is very engaging and I can relate to “going natural.” I said bye bye to relaxers a few years ago and haven’t looked back. As a black women, having straight hair was engrained at an early age so making the transition back to your natural state is mental as well and I love how the author touches on what a lot of black women experience.
MarloweOverShakespeare
Aug 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
I may have to round up a book club for this series. And I can't wait to see this on screen when it finally releases - cause I can definitely see this series being acted out. So much entertainment with lots of heavy moments. I'm officially hooked. On to #2!
Michelle Robinson
There are some spoilers here.

I tried to love this book. I would have settled for even liking it.
For some reason, I could not enjoy it. I read it a number of years ago, I must have been in a totally different place.

Venus is a long haired black woman, as any black woman knows, that is a premium in the black community. She becomes extremely frustated with her life situation, which includes not having her boyfriend do what she wants her to.

We then follow a t
Rena
Sep 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: re-reads
Since I hadn't read it since the early 2000s, I read Nappily Ever After again in preparation for the Netflix movie. I remembered only small details of the book, and didn't realize just how deep the story was beyond the broken relationship between Venus and Clint. Each character's backstory added dimension that I didn't expect. The only problem I had with the book, though, is the pacing; there are times the story moves a little too fast just to tie up loose ends. And because we didn't see exactly how ...more
Ginny
I enjoyed this book for the conversations I had with a couple of friends after I finished it. But that's about it. I wanted to love this books sooo badly since I am looking for a new series to dive into, but this one will not be it unfortunately.

I understand the power of hair, but so much of Venus' personality and life was tied up in her hair that it was almost unbearable. I don't think she was happy with or without hair and really wish she would just TALKED to people instead of going around li
Deidre
Feb 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ohh this started it all, this is such a good book. I haven't read it in years but after it I started collecting all of the rest of the books and now I have them all.
KeekeiReads
Sep 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a good book. I read it a while ago, so I didn't know that the author had written more books.
Audra
I'll definitely be reading all the books in this series. I went natural five years ago this month. For those that may not know what that means, let me explain: it means that I stopped putting relaxers in my hair and let it come out of my head the way God made it.

When I read this book, I truly felt a bond with Venus. When she cut all her hair off and went natural, people acted as if she was a different person, as if her beauty disappeared along with the processed hair she had removed.

I shared i
Destanye Baldwin
Sep 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this book, especially because they are turning it into a movie (and it'll probably be an excellent movie) however, I was not too impressed with the book. I feel like with books you have the leisure to give background and really develop your character. Unfortunately I think Trisha's characters were all over the place and extremely immature. The premise of Venus cutting off her hair was to start again and really uncover who she was. All I found out was that everything had t ...more
Page Passion
It's rare that you find an urban/black book that talks about real issues that black women are dealing with. Hair is a prominent discussion among black women. Whether it is real, fake, glued on, or sewed in, its always a topic of discussion. The entire time I read this, the saying "a woman's hair is her crowning glory" came to mind and it made me think how we've all been brainwashed to think we are nothing if we don't have long locks flowing down to our back. Venus was my favorite character becau ...more
Ausurelee
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sssooo...I was determined to read this before I watched the movie. Needless to say, I'm am.so glad that I did. It was a nice movie, but the book is the version that kept me hooked! I mean, they went as far to change the main characters name. There may be a good reason behind the change, but it threw me off at first. Anyway, one reason I loved this book, would be the sheer fact that it isn't the happy ending you would expect. This story is all about self love and the journey to find it.
Veronika
I heard that Halle Berry may be staring in the movie adaption for this book and that she may be shaving her head! ...so in that case I really want to try and read this book before the movie comes out.

Hopefully with the release of the movie it will inspire more African-American women to go in the natural direction with their hair! :)
Kennie
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This wasn't a great work of literature, but I really liked it. It was very relatable.
LaRhonda
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook
its alright....don't think ill be reading to others
Pat Stevenson
This just wasn’t my cup of tea. Too cliched and too many stereotypes. I think I’m just done with this type of fiction.
Millie Jones
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Favorite message in the book: “I wanted to take each day as it came, without expectations and without fear.”
Bernie
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this book for a book club and I really enjoyed it. A nice read with messages of healthy self esteem and self love.
Roxanne
Feb 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
I learned of this book series after watching the movie on Netflix. It was interesting to notice the vast differences from the book vs. movie, some aspects of the movie I enjoyed more than the book though I enjoyed the depth of the story in the book that wasn’t developed in the movie (probably for the sake of time). Overall, it was a nice read about self-love, self-discovery through body image and hair in a culture where hair and physical appearance hold a lot of weight.
Amanda
Jan 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Eh...I wasn't sold on this one. I watched the movie first, and perhaps that ruined it for me. I thought there was a lot of extra storylines going on, and therefore added much to the story that could have been left off. I am not sure if I will keep reading this series or not. Honestly, I'd much rather read about Clint and Candy. I found Venus to be a bit shallow, while Clint was quite a bit more thoughtful and substantial. I understand the idea was for Venus to find herself, love herself, etc., b ...more
Michelle Hawkins
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
I wasn't a fan of the whoa is me mantality. Venus was her own worst enemy. I don't see myself continuing with the series.
Nichelle
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: popsugar-2019
Enjoyed it just as much as I did the first time..now, it's time to watch the movie.
Valerie Gordon
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Wanted to love it.
Didn’t like it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
The Literary Social: Discussion: Nappily Ever After 2 8 Nov 07, 2018 08:59PM

• Baby Brother's Blues (West End, #3)
  • Good Hair
  • Singing in the Comeback Choir
  • Orange Mint and Honey
  • The Deal, the Dance, and the Devil
  • The Hand I Fan With
Trisha R. Thomas is the author of the highly acclaimed Nappily Series, best known for her debut novel Nappily Ever After (Random House).
She’s a guest analyst on CNN speaking on self-esteem and beauty issues.

Nappily (9 books)
  • Would I Lie to You? (Nappily, #2)
  • Nappily Married (Nappily, #3)
  • Nappily Faithful (Nappily, #4)
  • Nappily in Bloom (Nappily, #5)
  • Un-Nappily in Love (Nappily, #6)
  • Nappily About Us (Nappily, #7)
  • Nappily Entangled (Nappily, #8)
  • Postcards From Venus (Nappily, #9)
“Everyday I receive a lesson that teaches me that I can’t let what others think of me define me.” 16 likes
“The realization of the fact that I didn’t need Clint to feel this happiness made me laugh. At first it came out in a soft giggle, followed by an honest deep belt of laughter. I would be okay. Simple as that, everything would be fine. Like the natural order of the elements, in their perfection and imperfections, like this sea in its ability to provide beauty and warmth and just as quickly create a natural disaster. Storms pass, winds die down, and rain stops falling eventually. I would be all right. Proud that I didn’t need to be the account manager at Donnely Kramer, proud that I didn’t need hair flowing down my back. All I needed was what I had, me. I was grateful for me. I had no right to depend on Clint to make me feel this way. Something so powerful weighing on one man’s shoulders. As” 2 likes