Start by marking “The Hatch” as Want to Read:

The Hatch

'With technology becoming so complex and overriding ethical boundaries and our ever-expanding push into space, we have to develop our senses to their fullest potential. We have to evolve faster.' These are the words her mother spoke the night before she left on an EASA-sponsored mission in space. She never came back.

After her mother’s funeral, her brother also joined EASA.
Published December 31st 2019 by Odyssey Books

To ask other readers questions about The Hatch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hatch

Start your review of The Hatch
Clemens Schoonderwoert
May 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
This futuristic novel is a delightful Sci-Fi adventure from the Aussie author, Michelle Saftich.

At the end of the book you'll find useful details concerning this story, as well as other important explanations.

Story-telling from this author is of a very good quality, the story is fast-paced and action-packed, with very likeable and believable characters, especially Britta and Cal, so every fan of Sci-Fi can enjoy him/herself by reading this book.

Although Sci-Fi is not my favourite reading topic,
Author Williams
Jul 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Today I finished reading this book, “The Hatch.” To be quiet honest, I’m sad to have turned the last page. But as the saying goes: Nothing last forever, even good reads. I only hope there will be another one anytime soon.

Simply brilliant, Michelle Saftich hasn’t disappointed in delivering a full picture. It’s totally a full blast into space. I don’t know if I was drawn into the book or astral projected in the book as Britta, it felt like an adventure -its magic.

Through the eyes of our female MC,
Píaras Cíonnaoíth
Jul 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A gripping sci-fi that will have you on the edge of your seat...

Forty-some years ago my uncle gave me a science fiction anthology. It was a thick red hardback that I read from cover to cover. It inspired a lifelong love of the genre. The stories in that book made me think outside the box. They filled me with awe for the imagination it took to write them. That book still remains in my collection today. The title is OMNIBUS OF SCIENCE FICTION, edited by Groff Conklin, a well-known and prolific edi
Paul DiBara
Apr 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a young adult book that fans of space fantasy should find fascinating and enjoyable. It is imaginative and relatively fast paced.

Britta Tate has a valuable talent, a psychic ability that allows her to see into the future and past. When she reached adolescence she also develops the ability to astral project and leave her physical body. Her mother and older brother had similar abilities and they became members of an elite space exploration agency which sent them into the cosmos in search o
Tabitha
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This review is also featured on Behind the Pages: The Hatch

Britta never wanted to work for the EASA. Both her mother and brother went on space missions for them and never returned. But when EASA comes for her on her thirteenth birthday, she has no choice but to join. Within their training program she learns how to develop her psychic abilities, and by doing so hopes to one day speak with her lost family members. But when training is interrupted, she and her fellow students are placed on a missio
Dawn
Jul 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Earth is on the brink of destruction as she sets out to an alien planet to contact another higher form of being. She's being called there and she doesn't know why, but she knows it's important to help Earth and to discover more about her mother and brother.

Along the way she reunites with a fellow EASA member that she remembers meeting as a child. He used to be her brother's close friend, and now she finds herself getting close to him as well, but in a different way. She also battles her high em
Nicola
Jan 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I generally struggle with sci-fi novels as it all seems so far fetched. However The Hatch is so well thought out and researched that it feels like you're stepping into the future. This book had me in its grasp from start to finish, and I was so sad to finish it (that's when I know it's a good one!). I loved this book, very much enjoyed it and cannot wait for the next one! ...more
T.C. Randall
Jul 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is an author worth watching. The book is fast paced, interesting and fun. The writer is very descriptive, giving the reader a place within the story. I especially liked the beginning. It's hard for an adult to write children convincingly (they tend to write about small adults instead), but this author managed it quite well. Though the overall theme of the book is geared more towards young adults, still an interesting plot. I would highly recommend this to readers who enjoy this genre. ...more
Hadel Ma'ayeh
Jul 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you enjoy Star Trek, Stargate and Babylon 5, you will surely love The Hatch.

Filled with science fiction, paranormal, fantasy, and a great mystery that keeps the reader flipping through pages until answers are clearly explained and at awe of the outcome. To add, some shocking results for both the storyline and characters.

While reading, I can't help but feel, the book reflects a bit of our current situation of humanity's greed, hunger for power and fears in our current state.

I recommend The Ha
M.E. Aster
Jul 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Hatch is a sci-fi tale that everyone can enjoy. Featuring themes like family, love, and the resilient hope that humanity can survive in even the worst situations, The Hatch was a great read.

Britta was a very likable main character. Her insecurities and imperfections made her relatable even with her psychic abilities. I loved watching her growth across the story and her loyalty to her family and loved ones was commendable.

I enjoyed the interesting concept of space travel through the hatch.
Eva Goldsby
Jul 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who is a fan of science fiction space travel or psychic abilities of any time.
C.C. Uzoh
Jun 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received a free PDF copy of THE HATCH by Michelle Saftich in exchange for an honest review.

This was my first ever SciFi read, I finished it in less than two days and consider it a well-written, fast-paced story.

Though the hardest part of the book was the prologue, as I felt it could've been shorter, still I enjoyed the use of present tense in the writing, which made it seem like Saftich's narration was happening as I read it. I was able to transport myself into the world Saftich created.

Whils
Shelley Nolan
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had been wanting to read this book ever since I found out about it during #WeLoveOurAuthors promotion prior to its release, and it did not disappoint. I was drawn in by the idea of a young woman searching to find out what happened to her missing family members in a story that incorporated spaceships, conspiracies, alien creatures and psychic abilities. It was fascinating to read about how the EASA had utilised psychics to help find habitable worlds and to determine certain actions. But at hear ...more
BreeAnn (She Just Loves Books)
Apr 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, science-fiction
Wow, The Hatch was such a fast-paced science fiction story!

Britta's mother and brother have gone missing, and she is searching across all of space to find them. Britta has an ability that lets her see the past and the future. She eventually gains the ability to astro-project, where she leaves her body behind, but her mind goes where she's projecting.

I loved the amazing world that was created in this story. There are amazing alien lifeforms, new worlds to discover, and crazy psychic abilities.
Clare Rhoden
The Hatch is fast, gripping sci-fi that won't let you go. Britta, a psychic intern in Earth's combined space program, searches across the galaxy for her missing mother and brother. The mix of science and psychology is entrancing, the world-building is insanely realistic (so easy to imagine Earth ending up this way!), and the characters feel like friends for life. If you love smart and emotionally satisfying sci-fi, this is for you.
I couldn't put this book down and consequently, right now I'm wea
Kylie Greer
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable and easy read. Whilst sci-fi isn’t my usual genre of books, this story kept me thoroughly entertained and reminded me of elements of JD Robb and Suzanne Collins. Am looking forward to seeing where the journey takes us next, both in space and psychically.
Jul 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
I was offered an e-book copy of The Hatch from Henry Roi PR, an agency representing the author Michelle Saftich, in return for my honest review, which follows below. I thank them for reaching out and giving me this opportunity.

I rated this 5 stars.
Originally I was going to rate this 4 stars. I knocked one off because I do not see myself re-reading this novel again, even though it was an enjoyable first read. I usually prefer darker fiction, more horror tinged, and while tense in many places, thi
B F Jones
Jul 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Hatch
What do you get when you mix cyborgs, space travel, psychic abilities in a coming-of-age, fast paced sci-fi thriller? You get Michelle Saftich’s The Hatch, a sound read, full of twists that will keep you guessing and reading.
Young Britta Tate who has an ability for telepathy and mind reading, must follow onto the footstep of her disappeared Mother and older brother and join the ESEA (Elite Space Exploration Agency) force, where her talent and hard training enable her to Astral project.
Jack Page
Jun 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Hatch is a space odyssey with a hint of romance and personal tragedy (the protagonist’s mother and brother disappear in the vast stretches of space as they are looking for inhabitable exoplanets). But it is first and foremost a story of a thirteen-year old girl that develops as she struggles and overcomes various obstacles.

The actions at the space agency that has forcefully recruited Britta Tate, the main protagonist of the story, cover a time stretch of over a decade. Yet Saftich manages we
Stephanie Marie
Jul 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Kyle
Jul 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It takes a lot to get the right mixture to create a world and a story that is creative and one that pushes boundaries, while also planting the possibility in the mind of the reader, that this maybe could happen in the future. That's what a good science fiction book does and what this book does.

The book is a gripping read that draws you straight in. The story-line is easy to follow and is very fast-paced. At no point did I find myself confused with the plot or characters, which I am thankful for
B. Fleetwood
Jul 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Hatch is a space adventure following Britta Tate, a young girl who has the ability to predict the future and who can astro travel across space and time. The book opens with a glimpse of her mother's accident and the subsequent funeral when she has been assumed dead. Britta's brother Jem, who shares his mother and sister's powers, then disappears on a mission to find their mum.
Britta is sure they are both alive so readily accepts her call to go and train with EASA (the Earth Aeronautics and
Darren Boeck
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Hatch is an entertaining science fiction read. I found the main character likable and believable. The author does a great job of creating a futurist world that is plausible with a touch of, dare I say, almost extradimensional magic. A very solid read and worth the time for lovers of science fiction. I would recommend this book without pause.

One minor editing note, near the end of the book, one sentence ends with a period immediately followed by a comma. It's the only edit I caught that could
Dave Jessop
Jul 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was asked to write a review in return for a free copy. I have no connection to the author.

To be honest I haven't read any modern science fiction, just a few classics by Wyndham, Wells, Ballard and Frank Baker. I found the strong female character in the prologue good and very modern but when I got past that I just couldn't relate to the younger characters - probably due to my age.

The book is very well written and the prologue is very fast paced, all-action which I liked - reminded me of a tease
Dargan
Jun 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed Michelle Saftich's book The Hatch. The book opens with starship captain Amelia Tate facing a harrowing dilemma - continuing on the ship's current course would deliver Tate and her crew into an ambush and certain death, but the only alternative was using a hyperspace system called "The Hatch" to send the ship into empty space millions of light years for anywhere inhabited by humans. The captain makes the choice to escape into deep space, and the book shifts to focus on her fa ...more
Damir Franusic
Jun 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is a real gem, an utterly unexpected one, featuring a plot that keeps you focused and spellbound from start to finish. It really impressed me with a perfect blend of short and complex sentences; they add up to a dynamic pace of an already intriguing storyline.

This really caught me off guard and perplexed me quite a bit, as I'm usually in awe of endless piles of semicolons and philosophical mind twisters. The Hatch doesn't let down in that field either as it deals, to some extent, with
Tria
Jun 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Both Britta Tate's mom and brother, Jem, have disappeared while working for EASA, an Earth-based space program, so when they come for her, she is not impressed. Britta is a psychic, just like her mom and brother, able to see bits of the future and travel unbelievable distances through space, which makes her very valuable to those in power. After 10 years of training she is finally able to head into space, with her brother's best friend Cal, to follow in her family's footsteps and see if she can ...more
Dejan Vicai
Jun 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Even though it is a sci-fi read it is more than that. I can only draw a parallel with Harry Potter because it helps kids, especially little girls, grasp responsibility and what one's full potential could be. The book has many fantastic elements that will help you like it even more, not only that it is sci-fi. However, the genre offers more than just what it entails on the surface, you will have a bit of romance as well, but nothing too much or too distracting.

A well conceptualized and written b
Joanne Douglas
Jun 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I had never been drawn to science fiction, until I read THE HATCH, only, I would say this novel's captivating characters, even those artificially enhanced, are so real, it is science future.

We are thrown near to the edge of our universe, onto a recently discovered planet that supports not only human life, but also beings who exist on a different plane. Michelle Saftich paints a beautiful new world where "the treetops are swaying, thrashing against each other; each flay spraying forth a shower o
Read More Women
Jun 02, 2020 rated it liked it
“In this absolute darkness, I hear whisperings; like leaves trying to talk, a rustling of words that convey no meaning. Each time I visit, the whisperings seem faster, more urgent, more intense.”

This coming-of-age dystopian story is the perfect book for lovers of Scott Westerfield and Suzanne Collins. While this book feels like it’s meant for a young adult audience it was just what I was looking for this weekend, something light and gripping to transport me into a galaxy far far away.

Saftich is

• Such a Fun Age
  • Dear Edward
  • House of Earth and Blood (Crescent City #1)
  • Stories to Read by Candlelight
  • Hum If You Don’t Know the Words
  • Million Dollar Outlines
  • Shadow of the Skytree
  • Dead Beautiful (Dead Beautiful, #1)
  • We Met in December
  • Love, Rosie
  • Finding Chika: A Little Girl, an Earthquake, and the Making of a Family
  • The Flight Girls
  • Knight Protector (Star Kingdom #5.5)
  • Among Kings: The Amazing Adventures of the Congo's African American Livingstone and the Courageous People who Toppled King Leopold II
  • The Adventurer: The Fate of Adventure in the Western World
  • The Dry (Aaron Falk, #1)
  • Children of Virtue and Vengeance (Legacy of Orïsha, #2)
Michelle Saftich is an Australian author who enjoys writing historical fiction and science fiction. She writes about migration, people's ability to adapt to changing environments and in her latest novel, The Hatch, she explores the pros and cons of having a sixth sense.

Michelle holds a Bachelor of Business/Communications Degree, majoring in journalism, from the Queensland University of Technology